Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Penn wrote: »
    Again though that's the thing, it comes down to personal choice rather than one definitively being better. You get more value out of Gamepass than I would because the xbox has a wealth of originals you loved. I had a 360 for years but I don't think there are any games on it I played that I'd definitely play again (even as mentioned the older Gears of War games which I loved, but I don't think I'd go back and play again, only 4 & 5 which I haven't played). Most other things on Gamepass I've either played or wouldn't have much interest in playing now, even from the Xbox One era which I missed.

Although Gamepass is incredible value, it's still dependent on whether or not you actually want to play those games.

The fact is, even when trying to be neutral, everyone has their own different wants and see value in different areas. For me, I put more weight into the new exclusive games from Playstation than the vast catalogue of older games on Gamepass, or even the free new games, because all else is fairly equal between them in terms of multiplatform games, performance etc. Until such time as Microsoft has better new exclusives, Playstation holds more value to me.

I have Gamepass over a year now and I'd say out of all the game I've only played less than 10 that I'd consider worth it. I haven't played a Gamepass game in 3 months now as it's got nothing great, it added the new Doom but still haven't tried it. It's %90 indie crap or games years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Gamepass is very hit and miss. Its been ideal for the likes of outer worlds and gears 5 upon release but not much as kept me glued. I've been xbox for the past 15ish years but I'm transferring to team Sony next month for launch titles alone. I'll pick up a series x down the line when a new gears or halo release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Been a gamepass subscriber from when it launched to when I sold my 1X last month, considering the money spent I think I just about got my value from it, but the only game that I would have otherwise bought day 1 in that time is The Outer Worlds. To me it was really just a moderate selection of games I had mostly already played and a load of MS games that I have zero interest in.

It is a great service and worth the money, but I don't get all the lavish praise being heaped upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And that's where the value of it is lost on me. Yeah, the back catalogue is huge and they add a lot of games to it, and the ability to get MS exclusives free on Gamepass on day of release is incredible.

But they're not games I'm that interested in to begin with. The back catalogue I've either played or mostly don't want to play, and MS don't have enough top exclusives that I want. Sure, if I got them free on Gamepass I might give them a whirl, but I also just might not. So personally Gamepass doesn't hold that high a value for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭McFly85

Markitron wrote: »
    Been a gamepass subscriber from when it launched to when I sold my 1X last month, considering the money spent I think I just about got my value from it, but the only game that I would have otherwise bought day 1 in that time is The Outer Worlds. To me it was really just a moderate selection of games I had mostly already played and a load of MS games that I have zero interest in.

It is a great service and worth the money, but I don't get all the lavish praise being heaped upon it.

It’s a good service, but you’d swear there was nothing similar offered by Sony. If you have no interest in most MS exclusives(like myself) then the quality of the selection is comparable to PSNow. If Sony bundled ps+ with. PSNow, similar to Gamepass Ultimate, for me the selection of games on PlayStation is a lot more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also, while I'm here, now that I don't own a PS our Xbox, i can truly neutrally say that Xbox sucks and PlayStation rules.

I can't take some who can't spell seriously. Don't you know it's "SUX" and "RULEZ!!1!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

McFly85 wrote: »
    .....If Sony bundled ps+ with. PSNow, similar to Gamepass Ultimate, for me the selection of games on PlayStation is a lot more attractive.

And you better believe that's a-comin.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

What I’m really interested in is XCloud once it all matures to a decent state.

The ability to dip in and out of a subscription to play a few games without being tied to the hardware would be great.

The value you get out of these services obviously depends on what you've played already.

If you were to get Gamepass at the beginning of Series X then you're gonna get Flight Simulator, next Forza game, next Doom, next Dishonored, next Oblivion game etc. On day 1. It could be very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The value you get out of these services obviously depends on what you've played already.

If you were to get Gamepass at the beginning of Series X then you're gonna get Flight Simulator, next Forza game, next Doom, next Dishonored, next Oblivion game etc. On day 1. It could be very good value.

Or you can watch and marvel as Microsoft slowly close down all the studios they've acquired, one at a time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,680 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It’s total bollox that knack gets its own cult but cool spot is all but forgotten

Aw I loved Cool Spot.....and now I'll be on youtube for the day looking up old retro clips.

Whilst that is true, those games are going to be spread out over about 6 or 7 years. Like I said earlier I was a subscriber for 3 years and really only got 1 game day one that I was really looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

None of those games are available on day 1?

You'll have probably spent considerably more in subscription fees than what would normally by their combined purchase cost by the time they all came out. And you'd need to continue paying those fees indefinitely for continued access too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »

You'll have probably spent considerably more in subscription fees than what would normally by their combined purchase cost by the time they all came out. And you'd need to continue paying those fees indefinitely for continued access too.

Most people got three years of Game Pass Ultimate for around €110-€130. Some paid less than €100.

Add another €30 to that and you've the price of two Sony first party titles. Three years of gaming (including all Microsoft first party games) or two games? I know what's better value.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Most people got three years of Game Pass Ultimate for around €110-€130. Some paid less than €100.

Add another €30 to that and you've the price of two Sony first party titles. Three years of gaming (including all Microsoft first party games) or two games? I know what's better value.

As far as I am aware that was a one time offer, we are speaking about value going forward, so you would have to multiply that cost by at least 3 or 4 now?

This is probably not relevant because its all about the value to the individual. Even at the value you quoted above, going back over the last 3 years I would rather pay for TLOU 2 and GoW than a load of MS games I don't care about and a handful of other games I had already played. It is obviously different for you.

To bring it back to my original point, because of this difference of value, I don't consider Gamepass to be the be all and end all that so many are making it out to be nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think a good way to look at game pass is if you are interested in something like the new Halo, you can get it day 1 for €10 with a month's sub instead of full price. Then in that month you can check out a couple other things you may be interested in. After that, no need to sub again until the next game you want.

It is a good deal. The main downside is the initial cost of the console. But if you have a PC that can handle the games, then can use it.

As for PS Now, do older games get any kind of improvements on PS4? Not comparing it to game pass, I'm just curious as I never really looked into it since still have my PS3 hooked up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As far as I am aware that was a one time offer, we are speaking about value going forward, so you would have to multiply that cost by at least 3 or 4 now?

This is probably not relevant because its all about the value to the individual. Even at the value you quoted above, going back over the last 3 years I would rather pay for TLOU 2 and GoW than a load of MS games I don't care about and a handful of other games I had already played. It is obviously different for you.

To bring it back to my original point, because of this difference of value, I don't consider Gamepass to be the be all and end all that so many are making it out to be nowadays.

You can get a years Live for about €45. Once you have those you can convert to Game Pass Ultimate for €12.99.

Everytime you add a code if you activate auto renew they give you an extra month. Just disable this straight away and you can claim it again.

So 12+1, 12+1, 6+1 will give you 33 months for €110 + €12.99 to convert. So €122.99 for 35 months.

If you use Brazil codes it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

id imagine by the time most of us have to pay for gamepass again a killer Sony exclusive will more than likely have released. Now to me a killer game is GOW and maybe TLOU, the rest of the Sony exclusives that are grindathons are not at all like dayz gone, horizon, spiderman, Ghosts are not my cup of tea at €70 a pop ( again its me), it may not be for everyone as we can see here but what it does provide is the variety that I think is the key element of being someone interested in gaming.

It has plenty of older games which again some people are happy to be able to get a chance to play and also a lot of absolute gems and id go as far as saying if someone never had an xbox and is interested in gaming then pixking up a cheap xbox one or S and getting gamepass would be a fairly good investment especially while waiting for something to release on the new consoles.

Imo the library factor and the you cant judge a book by its cover aspect has to come into it, too much choice.

quokula wrote: »
    All first party titles go to Gamepass on their day of release. With the Zenimax acquisition that becomes pretty compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm not interested in gamepass as I've already played any game on it that I was interested in playing. Sure there are plenty of games on it that I could give a go but, like a lot of other people here, I already have a gaming backlog with all the free Epic games, Steam/PC sales and PS plus games so I don't need access to more games that mildly interest me.

That could will change when Fallout 5 or Elder Scrolls 6 release but they're a number of years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭McFly85

TitianGerm wrote: »

It’s still hugely subjective. I mean I could tell you that PSNow has a much bigger library than Gamepass so is better value, but then you probably prefer the content on Gamepass.

Basically I don’t think either on demand service would solely convince people to jump from one platform to another. They’re nice to haves, definitely, but they’re more similar than you’d guess by the marketing. The way people go on about Gamepass I wouldn’t be surprised if some people think it means they won’t have to pay for any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why is there a discussion about Microsoft's Gamepass in the Playstation 5 thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why is there a discussion about Microsoft's Gamepass in the Playstation 5 thread?

the usual neckbeards arguing how one consoles so much better then the other

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Debate between gamepass and ps plus is relevant surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Of course they all have lovely bottoms.

Though Playstation's is curvier

Debate between gamepass and ps plus is relevant surely.

Don't you mean PS Now. Also, stop calling me Shirley.

Can I just check one thing in relation to Game Pass and PS Now. PS Now has a library of 800 games, 300 you can download and Game Pass has 100 games, with games coming and going each month but exclusives are free from day one. What other advantages/disadvantages are there to both services?

Can I just check one thing in relation to Game Pass and PS Now. PS Now has a library of 800 games, 300 you can download and Game Pass has 100 games, with games coming and going each month but exclusives are free from day one. What other advantages/disadvantages are there to both services?

Gamepass has the MS exclusives from day 1, probably has a better selection of current gen games. That's it?

I suppose that is just like for like at base price, the ultimate version of gamepass obviously has some very nice perks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have always enjoyed the Playstation experience far more than the Xbox platform experience. I prefer the games on PS. I have a gaming PC as well. I do not need an Xbox in any capacity. I see it as an irrelevant gadget. I see no need for Gamepass as I can't think of one game on it I actually want to play that I can't get very cheaply anyway. I do not see any logic in purchasing a series S as the ssd will have to be upgraded pushing the total cost to about the X. the X costs the same cost as a reasonable gaming PC for me, so why would I not just buy a much more versatile gaming PC (I recently built a Ryzen 2700 with RX580 gpu for €500 for my daughter).

All this talk of the value contained in Gamepass is only relevant if you want that content. If you require a device to play it to be included then I think the gaming PC is a far more attractive value than an Xb... So why would anyone buy an Xb ?
    I just don't get the logic.

Buy a PS for the games and a PC for additional functionality and games not accessible on the PS. No need for any cash to be spent on Xb.

• Advertisement

So we are all agreed, we all hate the Xbox and gamepass is a bigger rip-off than the watered-down, overpriced beer you get at festivals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement