Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

recyclops wrote: »
    its the beauty of choice imo the xbox ( talking about platform not consoles as people get finnicky about it) has a wealth of originals that I myself loved.

I will get my ps5 and play the sony originals and enjoy them but the majority of my gaming will be on the xbox as between the 2 originals Sony pump out a year I will get most of my value out of gamepass.

which goes back to the original statement that if your neutral and not connected to either device the Series X is better for all round general gaming.

There's still plenty of factors that will determine what machine you might end up with besides the value of Gamepass. What games you're playing or want to play and what consoles your mates are using if you're playing the likes of CoD or Fifa. The fact that I could buy a PC over an Xbox and not miss out on any games is another one.

I tinkered with the idea of getting an Xbox Series S to access Gamepass but I decided against it in the end. I've built up a fairly substantial library on my PS4 and there's none of the exclusive for Xbox that would really interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

its the beauty of choice imo the xbox ( talking about platform not consoles as people get finnicky about it) has a wealth of originals that I myself loved.

I will get my ps5 and play the sony originals and enjoy them but the majority of my gaming will be on the xbox as between the 2 originals Sony pump out a year I will get most of my value out of gamepass.

which goes back to the original statement that if your neutral and not connected to either device the Series X is better for all round general gaming.

If you haven't played either before, then the PS+ collection has far more extremely high quality games in it than Gamepass, with stuff like Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War and Persona 5, all of which are a cut above any game on Gamepass. If you're already in the Playstation ecosystem you'll likely have already played them though so the value is much more limited there.

Gamepass goes for quantity over quality with a fairly large selection of games, and I had fun with it for the first month or two, but Forza is really the only AAA thing in there that could live alongside some of the above games. There are a bunch of good indie games and things like the older Yakuza games, which are brilliant, but you can pick them up for less than a tenner in PSN sales anyway and keep them permanently without having to pay fifteen quid a month for continued access. Having had Gamepass for a few months now, I feel like I've exhausted everything I'm actually interested in and not many new games are getting added each week. I'm increasingly thinking that I'd rather spend 10-20 euros per game (which you can comfortably do when you stick to sales) and choose games I actually want, than be tied to a subscription and pay the same amount per month for access to a larger list of mostly mediocre titles or games in genres I have no interest in. This is Microsoft's calculation of course, that people end up giving them more money by being tied to a subscription, than only buying games they actually want.

We'll see if they add anything new with the new console launch, the Bethesda games hold no interest for me, again it's all stuff that I've long since finished anything I cared about, and can be picked up for pennies these days in sales anyway if you really want to trudge through post apocalyptic Boston again and it isn't already in your library.

Whenever Flight Simulator comes to console and the next Forza games come out will probably be the next time there's a really compelling reason for Gamepass for me. I'll probably continue with the subscription out of the hassle of stopping and restarting, so I can occasionally play interesting indie stuff that comes to it like Spiritfarer, but just buying those kind of games outright probably wouldn't work out very different in terms of cost.

Yeah, to me the PS4 is the machine I use for playing through solo, story driven games, and the Xbox is the one I use for all my multiplayer.

I also find the quality of random people you come across on Xbox online is much higher. Since a lot of these games have gone cross platform, there seems to be a tonne of annoying PS players I keep getting stuck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Has anyone heard anything further from Smyth's?

I have a pre order email from them Thu, 17 Sep, 00:02

Pre-order date: 17/09/2020
    Estimated availability date: 19 November 2020

But nothing else so far.

Everyone else in the same boat?

I got a text from them yesterday, I pre ordered in store, basically just said collect it on the day of release, payment by card only, photo ID and pre order receipt required, can nominate someone if you wish and they will hold it until Wednesday 2nd December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I genuinely cannot see how anyone that has a pre-order won't find an excuse to go to Smyths with 2 or 3 days of the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Again though that's the thing, it comes down to personal choice rather than one definitively being better. You get more value out of Gamepass than I would because the xbox has a wealth of originals you loved. I had a 360 for years but I don't think there are any games on it I played that I'd definitely play again (even as mentioned the older Gears of War games which I loved, but I don't think I'd go back and play again, only 4 & 5 which I haven't played). Most other things on Gamepass I've either played or wouldn't have much interest in playing now, even from the Xbox One era which I missed.

Although Gamepass is incredible value, it's still dependent on whether or not you actually want to play those games.

The fact is, even when trying to be neutral, everyone has their own different wants and see value in different areas. For me, I put more weight into the new exclusive games from Playstation than the vast catalogue of older games on Gamepass, or even the free new games, because all else is fairly equal between them in terms of multiplatform games, performance etc. Until such time as Microsoft has better new exclusives, Playstation holds more value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Backwards compatibility is great but there's been a fair few times where great memories of games have been shattered by going back to play them and you struggle with crappy camera angles and shoddy movement controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Theve sent an email out about it, was posted in this thread

Mine is for home delivery

Then you are completely unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mine is home delivery as well, I haven't heard anything since the email confirming my pre-order. I'm not really expecting anything else unless my payment fails or something but I've topped up my Revolut that I used to pre-order so not expecting anything until payment is taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Backwards compatibility is great but there's been a fair few times where great memories of games have been shattered by going back to play them and you struggle with crappy camera angles and shoddy movement controls.

I dunno , the only time I felt games have aged badly are the early 3D games from the Playstation 1/n64 Era . though having said that I have gone back and played the likes of Zelda Majora Mask and still think the game holds up really really well .

It might vary from person to person but often I can look past clunk controls since it gives it that charm to it . there were also alot of more experimental gems on past systems you dont seem to find these days.

From the PS3/360 era up till now , to me at least not much has changed in gameplay design as the focus just seems to be these days with AAA Videogames is for the game to be the most hyper cinematic experience as possible ( kinda like mash it being a movie you can interact with ) than evolve gameplay mechanics with each new console generation.

A great game is a great game regardless of its age , the games that feel off now were probably never that great to begin with if they dont hold up today

This is exactly why I got that Mario collection and only played Galaxy, I had very good memories of M64 and Sunshine and I didn't want to taint them with Nintendo's lazy barebone ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I stopped playing older fabourite games because of this.
    Re releases completely ruined the nostalgia for me.

Those great great games from yesteryear are better left where they where.

I got Bully for cheap about 2 years ago. Jesus Christ it unplayable.
    FF7 is my Favourite all time game. And am never going near the re-release. I know its a brand new game but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭McFly85

Currently playing Shenmue for the first time, and it’s awful. The controls are terrible, the voice acting laughable, the QTEs unresponsive and the vast majority of the game is wandering around to kill time. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

But, had I played it in 1999, I would have been blown away. Going into shops and buying things! Waiting for a bus that has different timetables! Day night cycles! Going into an arcade and being able to play the games! So many good ideas that have been improved upon since then.

It has been interesting to play, but I don’t think I’ll have the patience to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

I also find older games, perhaps prior to PS3, are very slow. I emulate on my PC and playing my collection of GameCube games and if I was not able to speed up the gameplay, I'm not sure I could play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm part of the rare crew that doesn't care about BC. I mean, right now it's fantastic that the PS5 has BC cause i'll probably be playing Cyberpunk on PS5. But otherwise, I very very rarely replay a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

What age do you s think its ok for a kid to get a console like a PS5 OR X BOX just out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 19,944 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    What age do you s think its ok for a kid to get a console like a PS5 OR X BOX just out of curiosity

probably more down to what games they play if they have one,

we had consoles when we were 8/9 (sega master system, snes etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

i have a 5 year old and i was about 7 when i had the original nintendo the games had was Mario and duck hunt,theres obviously kids games but just wondering has anyone ever got a child so young one or is it terrible parenting

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    i have a 5 year old and i was about 7 when i had the original nintendo the games had was Mario and duck hunt,theres obviously kids games but just wondering has anyone ever got a child so young one or is it terrible parenting

5 is probably a bit young, not in terms of gaming itself, but for a PS5 or Xbox. I think you'd be much better off with a Switch or even a DS. Far better selection for their age range, much easier to use/play, won't take up a TV as they're handheld, can take it places with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

This x1000 i always get caned for saying it but i dont see the big deal with BC. They nearly always looks and feel terrible.

jones wrote: »
    This x1000 i always get caned for saying it but i dont see the big deal with BC. They nearly always looks and feel terrible.

As I say, BC is great in the first year or two of a new console since there can be so few new games to play until the library has a chance to fill up. While I have often gone back and played much older games, like earlier this year I played Bully, it definitely loses a lot compared to if you'd played it at the time. It was fine, but the age showed a lot in almost every aspect. I think a lot of the time, it's nostalgia that allows people to play much older games. A good game is a good game regardless, but I think nostalgia can help a person ignore some of the flaws/annoyances.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

McFly85 wrote: »
    Currently playing Shenmue for the first time, and it’s awful. The controls are terrible, the voice acting laughable, the QTEs unresponsive and the vast majority of the game is wandering around to kill time. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

But, had I played it in 1999, I would have been blown away. Going into shops and buying things! Waiting for a bus that has different timetables! Day night cycles! Going into an arcade and being able to play the games! So many good ideas that have been improved upon since then.

It has been interesting to play, but I don’t think I’ll have the patience to finish it.
    I agree with your points. I personally love the game, although I did play it back in 99. I also play with japanese voice acting as the english dub is dreadful.
    Shenmue 2 is a lot better though, many improvements were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm just happy i can retire my PS4 in a months time as it's louder than a jet engine these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Parsnips wrote: »
    FF7 is my Favourite all time game. And am never going near the re-release. I know its a brand new game but still.

Your missing out, the remake is excellent.

I love going back to play older games, i think you just have to have realistic expectations, games will seem much shorter and wont look as good but a great game is always a great game

I don't play older games very often, but I think I play through RE4 at least every 8 or 9 months, it hasn't aged a day.

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't play older games very often, but I think I play through RE4 at least every 8 or 9 months, it hasn't aged a day.

Truly is a great game.

Kamu wrote: »
    Truly is a great game.

When the Switch version came out I realised my long-held ambition of playing it on the toilet.

A magical experience.

Markitron wrote: »
    When the Switch version came out I realised my long-held ambition of playing it on the toilet.

A magical experience.

I'm sure El Gigante helped in that situation. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,680 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sold my PS4 :(

Only gaming I have left is the odd game of Among Us on the phone...

This feels wrong....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement