Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So, the PS5 releases on Nov 12th?

They will surely release extra stock in advance pf Christmas? Maybe early December?

I seem to remember this shıt happening every year? Basically there is always a short supply for launch and then more stock conveniently appears a couple of weeks later?

November 19th in Ireland.

Not sure about the word ‘conveniently’ here? It’s simply the nature of any sort of hardware production. You spend months producing an initial stockpile for launch to meet at least some of the demand. Then the production process is up and running and there’ll be a steady stream of new stock, until you eventually reach the point where there’s enough to keep up with all demand. Sometimes there can be seasonal demand, too - can sometimes be harder to get a console around Christmas, for example, even a year or two after release.

There’s no manufactured rarity here - if more stock shows up before Christmas, it’s simply because more stock has been produced and reached stores. This isn’t just limited to launch days - during the pandemic / around Animal Crossing release the demand for the Nintendo Switch soared, and it was hard to get your hands on a console for while (at least in the US) until stock levels stabilised. This is years after the console released - launch day for any new piece of bulky but in-demand hardware is always going to be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,867 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    To be honest I think €80 per game is a tad bit overpriced aswell, €75 I can deal with :D
    I'm sure PS4 games were €70 at launch if I remember right
    If I have to pay €80 for a game or 2 at launch ill get over it just to have them launch day but after that I will go back to Amazon, Argos and smyths - sometimes have a deal with €5 off for games PO for instore collection
    Like even COD PS5 is €5 cheaper than GS

The price of games now is ridiculous. 80 euros is just a pisstake. I know a deal of development and testing and other costs like packaging are incurred but the physical product is costing only a handful of euros to make.

With the average RRP of the PS5 is 500 euros...Buying two new games, made of a small disc of plastic and metal is going to cost about a third of the price of the console... 32% actually.

Treating yourself to 5 new games is about 400 euros, 5 fûcking CD’s, consoles 500.

I wouldn’t be surprised if after Christmas the price of games and indeed the console drop by about 15 %.

I've pre ordered but between the backtrack of most launch titles now being cross gen and the price of the first releases I'm tempted to cancel and wait until 2021 when the catalogue is a bit beefier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think MS going the route of Netflix for games is going to win out ultimately, it's a good strategy after the flop of the Xbox One launch. Pay €140 a year, and get tons of 1st party games at release and a huge back catalogue that'll include 3rd party games after a few months.

Like, basically, if you only played 2 games in the entire year, the sub is paid for. That was my rational on PC Game Pass. €10 a month, play 2 €40 games a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

One benefit of rarely holding onto a game is the initial price doesn't matter as much, as annoying as it is

The first game I'm planning on playing is Spiderman, and I'd imagine I'll be done with that in time to get at least €60 for it before Christmas if RRP across the board is €80

The €80 version of miles Morales that comes with the original game has the original as a code, so that won't be €60 for a trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Souls always keeps its value. Look at Sekiro ffs, waiting for a good price since release and it dipped to 45 digitally a couple of times but still full price physically.

As for Spidey, the ultimate edition is on my list as i never played the dlc's and aling with MM, will be a nice present of santa. It should be released as a standalone on ps5 with free upgrade though and leave the dlc and MM to ultimate content.

Sekiro was €30 in Smyths a while back, I got it.

Also who is paying €70 for games? Must be only going to Gamestop.

Smyths and Argos have always been €55-60. No f'n way I'm paying €80 for a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Sekiro was €30 in Smyths a while back, I got it.

Also who is paying €70 for games? Must be only going to Gamestop.

Smyths and Argos have always been €55-60. No f'n way I'm paying €80 for a game!

I’ve paid 70 for a couple of games on the PlayStation store on release out of shear laziness, ghost of tsushima for one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Finally got round to finishing God of War no better game to finish up my Ps4 pro with!.

Gonna hopefully drop the console and physical games into cex tomorrow and then it's back to the Switch till Ps5!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Varik wrote: »
    The €80 version of miles Morales that comes with the original game has the original as a code, so that won't be €60 for a trade in.

Wow, i think paying 80 for a physical copy and just getting a code for the original game is worse than no free upgrade from 4 to 5, trade in value is screwed straight away. Sony really made a balls of Spidey cross gen. I still want to play it for original dlc and MM but will think about for a bit. Definitely not getting it at launch.

Then again, buying it, playing and being MM first and trading it asap might get you 30-40 cash in cex and you'll still have the original upgraded spidey with dlc. Hhhmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Any chance Smyths will do bundle deals on release day?

• Advertisement

Finally got round to finishing God of War no better game to finish up my Ps4 pro with!.

Gonna hopefully drop the console and physical games into cex tomorrow and then it's back to the Switch till Ps5!

Yeah, I'm dropping my Xbox One S into Cex tomorrow with Modern Warfare for 170. Afraid it will plummet in price like the PS4 Pro did today.

I’ve paid 70 for a couple of games on the PlayStation store on release out of shear laziness, ghost of tsushima for one

Smyths are now 75 for PS5 games. Last year I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare for 55 from Smyths, this year the new title is 70 for the PS4 and 75 for the PS5. Games have shot up in price this year, even for the old gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidford

If selling console to Cex assume it's one controller and if you have second controller that's additional cash? Looking at following alot of you and selling 1tb version with 2 controllers, back button and about 8 games so should get over 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Sidford wrote: »
    If selling console to Cex assume it's one controller and if you have second controller that's additional cash? Looking at following alot of you and selling 1tb version with 2 controllers, back button and about 8 games so should get over 200.

Add them to your basket on cex as “I want to sell” and it’ll give you the price .... for the PS4 just pick the one that best matches your console (boxed, special edition, etc)

Sidford wrote: »

Yeah, they only require one controller but if you're adding two make sure to add one as a separate controller order if using the online drop off service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Homelander wrote: »
    I think MS going the route of Netflix for games is going to win out ultimately, it's a good strategy after the flop of the Xbox One launch. Pay €140 a year, and get tons of 1st party games at release and a huge back catalogue that'll include 3rd party games after a few months.

Like, basically, if you only played 2 games in the entire year, the sub is paid for. That was my rational on PC Game Pass. €10 a month, play 2 €40 games a month.

I just got 3 12 month subs for xbox live for €98. Converted to Game Pass Ultimate for €1.
    So I have access to all of that content until Sep 2023 for €99

Strumms wrote: »
    The price of games now is ridiculous. 80 euros is just a pisstake. I know a deal of development and testing and other costs like packaging are incurred but the physical product is costing only a handful of euros to make.

With the average RRP of the PS5 is 500 euros...Buying two new games, made of a small disc of plastic and metal is going to cost about a third of the price of the console... 32% actually.

Treating yourself to 5 new games is about 400 euros, 5 fûcking CD’s, consoles 500.

I wouldn’t be surprised if after Christmas the price of games and indeed the console drop by about 15 %.

I take it you aren't old enough to remember the prices of launch SNES consoles and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

loughrey wrote: »
    Smyths are now 75 for PS5 games. Last year I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare for 55 from Smyths, this year the new title is 70 for the PS4 and 75 for the PS5. Games have shot up in price this year, even for the old gen.

Smyths prices range from 60 - 80 not including gold editions. AC Valhalla is only 60, far cry 6 which i believe is next gen only is 65. Prices a bit all over the place.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/pre-order-games/playstation-5-pre-order-games/c/SM06040301?sort=price-desc&q=%3AieBestsellerRating#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I fired up Far Cry 5 last week having completed it ages ago and was surprised how dull the gameplay was. I maybe experiencing franchise fatigue but it doesn't bode well for 6.

I loved 3 and nearly bought the remaster recently, never finished 4 despite numerous attempts and struggled through 5. It's not that I think they're bad games, it's just I don't know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Strumms wrote: »

What you have to remember is that unlike digital platform which constantly makes money for all involved alot of people say that's too much so will go physical and then trade in against new games.

The more that do that the less digital can decrease as it just results in 100% of profits going to gameatop/cex/smyths in the long run.

In my own opinion to sooner that model is gone the better. Of more buy digital we will see prices drop in digital over time and better sales as the margins get shorter.

Also I'm a massive advocate of gameshare so I haven't paid more than 40 euro for a game at launch in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I fired up Far Cry 5 last week having completed it ages ago and was surprised how dull the gameplay was. I maybe experiencing franchise fatigue but it doesn't bode well for 6.

I loved 3 and nearly bought the remaster recently, never finished 4 despite numerous attempts and struggled through 5. It's not that I think they're bad games, it's just I don't know what.

Since FC3 they have released 5 full Far Cry games, and they are all essentially the same game. That series has run out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stephen.Walsh_

What’s the criteria for trading in a ps4 controller at CEX? I have one that’s kinda old and a little busted wondering will they take it...€42 is a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Video wrote: »
    i love sony but they're making some really bad moves over the last week or two .

My personal take is if its a full remaster, then I would not expect it to be free. Its a big price tag, but free? I dont think so myself. Just my 2 cents

recyclops wrote: »
    What you have to remember is that unlike digital platform which constantly makes money for all involved alot of people say that's too much so will go physical and then trade in against new games.

The more that do that the less digital can decrease as it just results in 100% of profits going to gameatop/cex/smyths in the long run.

In my own opinion to sooner that model is gone the better. Of more buy digital we will see prices drop in digital over time and better sales as the margins get shorter.

Also I'm a massive advocate of gameshare so I haven't paid more than 40 euro for a game at launch in years.

How does gameshare work on PS4? Is it not risky to share account login information and is there a risk of ban from Sony? Or do I have this all wrong?!

sticker wrote: »
    How does gameshare work on PS4? Is it not risky to share account login information and is there a risk of ban from Sony? Or do I have this all wrong?!

I've never used it despite friends trying to get me to do so but it's quite legit and provided you trust the person sharing with it makes a lot of sense.
    I think my problem is a personality trait. My stuff is my stuff.

I've never really looked into it but basically you 1/2 the cost by sharing games. If your internet is down you don't have access to your games but that's the only downside (or at least how it was explained to me)

sticker wrote: »

Works same on xbox and on ps and supposedly will do the same in the next gen. you set your console as your friends primary and you set your freinds console as your primary and then when one buys the game it appears on the other.

Never heard of anyone getting a ban on doing it, the process is essentially on Microsoft website so they know its being done.

I suppose the risk is you falling out with the person you gameshare with, thankfully thats not happened to me in the past 6 years and myself and my gameshare buddy will be continuing this cash saving initiative :D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've never used it despite friends trying to get me to do so but it's quite legit and provided you trust the person sharing with it makes a lot of sense.
    I think my problem is a personality trait. My stuff is my stuff.

I've never really looked into it but basically you 1/2 the cost by sharing games. If your internet is down you don't have access to your games but that's the only downside (or at least how it was explained to me)

gimli doesnt like sharing :P

Kimbot wrote: »
    gimli doesnt like sharing :P

It's easier to admit to this than to having trust issues with my friends

recyclops wrote: »
    Works same on xbox and on ps and supposedly will do the same in the next gen. you set your console as your friends primary and you set your freinds console as your primary and then when one buys the game it appears on the other.

Never heard of anyone getting a ban on doing it, the process is essentially on Microsoft website so they know its being done.

I suppose the risk is you falling out with the person you gameshare with, thankfully thats not happened to me in the past 6 years and myself and my gameshare buddy will be continuing this cash saving initiative :D:D:D

I have 2 PS4s in the house, one primary for my son on his account upstairs and I use my main admin account on a pro downstairs.

I think that rules me out of sharing!

But thanks for info - I wouldnt mind but I've a huge library - over 300 games in total so I'd be a ripe candidate for donor!

• Advertisement

its also an absolute goldmine when christmas or summer sales appear, my xbox library has grown exponentially at these times of the year for pittance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement