Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

lawred2 wrote: »
    well Trump is her President and maybe his tweeting bothers her more than it does you... hardly reason to call her a POS in my eyes.

was this an exercise in outdoing each other in the grief stakes or what?

proving your cultural bona fides or something?

Wtf is wrong with you. Leave your hatred for me in the politics forum where it belongs.

There were six other people in the room equally as shocked as I was. Are you really going to turn this into me being the bad guy? Christ.

gozunda wrote: »
    And 'she' was who?

My American colleague. I have many.

What sort of question is that? You want her name and details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I mentioned Notre Dame first thing in the morning (we're in Asia) and she was the first person to respond and then went on a rant about Trump and his tweet.

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in person. I'm gutted that that building is gone before I had a chance to see it, and she did not give one solitary fuk, for all her caring about a Tweet. POS. After she was done, the rest of us just ignored that and talked about the actual event.

Jesus, what an overreaction from you. From your previous post, I thought you were going to say she was agreeing with Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wtf is wrong with you. Leave your hatred for me in the politics forum where it belongs.

There were six other people in the room equally as shocked as I was. Are you really going to turn this into me being the bad guy? Christ.

bad guy?

what?

As for hatred of you!? I honestly can't remember one other thing you've posted. Maybe you should settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Get a room the pair of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

I mentioned Notre Dame first thing in the morning (we're in Asia) and she was the first person to respond and then went on a rant about Trump and his tweet.

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in person. I'm gutted that that building is gone before I had a chance to see it, and she did not give one solitary fuk, for all her caring about a Tweet. POS. After she was done, the rest of us just ignored that and talked about the actual event.

It's not as bad as it appeared on earlier news reports thanks to the inner stone vaulted ceiling which saved the interior of the church.
    Damage wise, the roof is gone, the 19th century spire is gone...
    The original spire was constructed in the 13th century, probably between 1220 and 1230. It was battered, weakened and bent by the wind over five centuries, and finally was removed in 1786. During the 19th century restoration, Eugène Viollet-le-Duc decided to recreate it, making a new version of oak covered with lead.

... at most 2 of the 3 rose windows are gone and there's a lot of damage around the altar.
    I suspect/hope that 80% of the overall church is intact/unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No - I thought perhaps you may have been referring to a news reporter or similar of whom some appear to have got great mileage from Trumps tweet.

More a reflection on the sad state of news reporting imo...

josip wrote: »
    It's not as bad as it appeared on earlier news reports thanks to the inner stone vaulted ceiling which saved the interior of the church.
    Damage wise, the roof is gone, the 19th century spire is gone, at most 2 of the 3 rose windows are gone and there's a lot of damage around the altar.

that's great - there was a while yesterday evening where I fully expected the walls to collapse inwards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

that's great - there was a while yesterday evening where I fully expected the walls to collapse inwards

They knew how to build things way back then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

well Trump is her President and maybe his tweeting bothers her more than it does you... hardly reason to call her a POS in my eyes.

was this an exercise in outdoing each other in the grief stakes or what?

proving your cultural bona fides or something?

Exactly. If there was indeed a POS it wasn't her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Damage wise, the roof is gone, the 19th century spire is gone...

... at most 2 of the 3 rose windows are gone and there's a lot of damage around the altar.

A report from French News reported this morning that much was charred and blackened within the stone vault - with damage to the wood and paintings afaik. Also mentioned considerable water damage inside the building - which is not surprising tbh.

Same report mentioned that the scaffolding is badly damaged especially near where the fire started being twisted and buckled by the great heat. Hope it stays up long enough for it to be properly removed ...

In fairness, that people's first reaction to such an awful event is to start trying to take some retarded political swipe at Trump or Macron or whoever is fairly tragic..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Reposting these from earlier

z54IcLx.jpg

This one shows the hole in the roof where the spire fell through, but the rest of the roof is intact afaik, although it my be structurally compromised after the heat.

M0V5u55.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Trump will be Trump. He goes into full Alan Partridge mode everytime something like this happens and has to be the centre or attention.

His suggestion wasn't totally ridiculous but completely impractical given the site and the materials involved and also assumes that the Parisian firefighters have no idea what they're doing, which clearly isn't the case. They'd have a lot of experience and expertise in dealing with fires in historic buildings and seem to have managed to extinguish it without causing significant damage to the masonry.

Americans abroad are usually just desperately trying to distance themselves from him which can be why they go into over focus.

They also successfully rescued a lot of priceless artifacts.

It looked to me like they handled it well.

I'd assume the task now will be engineers and conservationist trying to ensure the building doesn't deteriorate or collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

One small "benefit" arising from this dreadful fire is that the RTE news people are pronouncing Notre Dame correctly, ie DAM. I used to cringe listening to Notre DAYM in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Reposting these from earlier

z54IcLx.jpg

This one shows the hole in the roof where the spire fell through, but the rest of the roof is intact afaik, although it my be structurally compromised after the heat.

M0V5u55.png
    I can see the photo with the crucifix becoming a iconic commemorative poster of the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

My American mother brought it up last night. Because she's horrified at the terrible way that he's portraying the US. The fact that instead of sympathy, he's insulting those who know far more than him about fighting fires. One of whom is seriously injured apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Thankfully the strength of the original stone structure has preserved the building as it should since the architects recognised fire as the main threat to the stability of their building; interesting to note that the greatest threat was posed by the C19th wooden add on spire which toppled quickly and compromised the stone vaulting which could have instigated a greater collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

One small "benefit" arising from this dreadful fire is that the RTE news people are pronouncing Notre Dame correctly, ie DAM. I used to cringe listening to Notre DAYM in the past.
    The university in the States refers to itself as 'Nodder Daym". I shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The French will really appreciate the linguistic abilities of the crowd of loolahs in Montrose.
    It will be a great comfort

Has anything so priceless ever been destroyed by fire before?
    The closest Irish example I can think of was the deliberate burning of the Public Record Office in Dublin during the Civil War, which destroyed Irish public records which dated back to the 1500s.

The reason why a lot of Irish people don't know where their ancestors were during or before the Famine is because the fire destroyed the vast majority of censuses around that time, as well as many other incredibly valuable, irreplaceable records.

And it was all deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sardonicat wrote: »

I heard they also pronounce the s in Paris!:pac:

Has anything so priceless ever been destroyed by fire before?

The Great Library of Alexandria.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

topper75 wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »

I heard they also pronounce the s in Paris!:pac:
    Paris, in English is pronounced with an 's'.
    Notre Dame in English is 'Our Lady'.
    They chose to name the university Notre Dame so I can't see why they don't pronounce it correctly or change it to English.

Nodder Daym doesn't mean anything in any language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Call it crowdfunding on a massive scale! Lots of French people abroad and plenty of philanthropists who would stump up some cash through ego or belief for such an undertaking.

Not just French. This is a piece of European heritage, when official channels are launched, I will contribute in my small way to it's restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I hope to God Leo and his mob don't contribute money for this. A shame it happened but that money could be used for the homeless crisies. Our government have their priorities all wrong and need to be kicked out...

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I hope to God Leo and his mob don't contribute money for this. A shame it happened but that money could be used for the homeless crisies. Our government have their priorities all wrong and need to be kicked out...

?

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    are you seriously using this tragedy to have a go at Varadkar?

Do you know how counterproductive this is? Keep that shtick up, and people eventually start to close their ears to genuine criticism of this Government, and start to feel sympathy for this Government in the face of exaggerated, even hysterical, internet commentary.

Advertisement