Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

gozunda wrote: »
    Any idea how the securing of the building against weather and taking down the damaged scaffolding is progressing?

Nope. Been too busy with manic gardening to keep completely up-to-date! But I did see a photo over the weekend that showed how the scaffolding had partially collapsed inwards, which wasn't obvious on the early photos. No doubt that'll make it trickier to dismantle, but even so, I think it'll be one of the less complicated challenges of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Maybe Titanium, in the same shape and style as the old roof.

Super light, super strong, fireproof.

Would not need a forest to hold it up.

Possibly too expensive on that scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Maybe Titanium, in the same shape and style as the old roof.

Super light, super strong, fireproof.

Would not need a forest to hold it up.

Possibly too expensive on that scale?

It's about 30 times more expensive than lead afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's about 30 times more expensive than lead afaik.

Maybe they can run a bazaar or a jumble sale to raise the funds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Every week Christian places of worship are getting set alight. Very recently a Rwandan migrant was arrested for burning down a cathedral in Nantes and this week a Somalian has been arrested for torching churches in Norway.
    I struggle to fathom why people still believe there is zero chance that Notre Dame was torched? Are people really that naive? The stories I’ve mentioned were reported on internationally and are easily found on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

splashuum wrote: »
    Every week Christian places of worship are getting set alight. Very recently a Rwandan migrant was arrested for burning down a cathedral in Nantes and this week a Somalian has been arrested for torching churches in Norway.
    I struggle to fathom why people still believe there is zero chance that Notre Dame was torched? Are people really that naive? The stories I’ve mentioned were reported on internationally and are easily found on google.

Here we go :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭techman1

Watched a documentary about it on bbc4 last night. The fire alarm went off early enough but the security guard was only in the job 3 days and went to the wrong building to check for fire. Apparently the fire detection system was overly complicated and didn't really pinpoint where the fire was.

The fire was going for 30minutes before they finally found it and raised the alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What seems to be a follow up from that, called The Next Chapter, is on BBC 2 at 8 pm 05 April, with a couple of repeats listed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016v1h

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah yeah yeah, the fire detection system is "overcomplicated" and some lad needed 30 minutes to find out where the fire was coming from.

Any idea yet what actually caused the fire?

Because all you get are these reports that "it could have been started by a electrical malfunction OR a cigarette". Well which is it? Because if a fire happened in my gaff tonight and burnt the place down, the authorities here would know exactly what caused it the very next morning.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for mentioning that - I hadn't seen it listed, watched it tonight - powerful stuff. Although the rector going on about signs from God and the bloody crown of thorns was a bit unsettling to say the least.

That's a night's work none of those firefighters will ever forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is your house the same size and complexity of Notre Dame Cathedral?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They would/should have a fire alarm system tailored to match the complexity of Notre Dame?

Its hardly 2 smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher ....

CCTV, sensors,etc .... They should be able to pinpoint where it started and how/why ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I was there last summer and they said that it would be ready for the Olympics looks like it's going to take a bit longer than that now.

There is a lovely church in similar style just across the Seine from Notre Dame which is worth seeing it's very nice and sadly I only discovered a few weeks ago that the Cathedral in Reims which is only a hour away is very beautiful and very similar to Notre Dame Paris if i'd have know that when I was in Paris last year I'd have went to visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

4 years ago today.

Advertisement