Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zorya wrote: »
    Yes, I didn't understand why people jumped so fast to criticise Trump suggesting flying water tankers. He may have gotten the lingo incorrect but surely there is some kind of smaller airborne fire fighting tech that could have been used if they had it?

Perhaps firefighting techniques should be left to the experts and not armchair wannabee firemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,935 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, I didn't understand why people jumped so fast to criticise Trump suggesting flying water tankers. He may have gotten the lingo incorrect but surely there is some kind of smaller airborne fire fighting tech that could have been used if they had it?

Trumpsplaining... the same kind of annoyance as I am sure mansplaining is to women.
    The arrogance of the man to try and tell people on the scene how to put out the fire or do their job.

Just offer your sympathy and leave it Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mongoose_Bike

Hurrache wrote: »
    It unfortunately does not look good. Local reporters saying it's far from under control but getting worse.

In this vid it looks to be concentrated around where work was being done, but could just be a coincidence.
    https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1117839877566009346?s=19

Oh geez. Looks really bad. There goes history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

American firefighting techniques leave Alot to be desired, they'd be the last outfit you'd take advice from tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A number of French tycoons have pledged hundreds of millions to the rebuild project already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Breaking news....readers of boreds.ie know more about putting out the notre dame fire than experienced professional parisian firefighters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Genuinely the first time I've ever reported a video on Youtube. That's just plain dangerous and innocent people could get hurt by those who believe it's real.

Or maybe it is real and you just don't want to believe it ?

*I don't think it's real though, the audio sounds dubbed.
    But can't be 100% suire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fair play to whoever put up that scaffolding ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gctest50 wrote: »

Or an actual builder, seeing as there was work underway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

*I don't think it's real though, the audio sounds dubbed. But can't be 100% suire

Case in point.

It's fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

But can't be 100% suire

Somebody already posted the source of the audio, it predates the fire. So it's more a factor that you're very gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It’s too much of a coincidence for Notre Dame to go up in flames during ‘renovations’ and at this particular time

Not really.....

Some examples of historic building accidental fires while undergoing renovations, just from my own memory.

Windsor Castle
    The Primark Building
    The Cutty Sark Ship
    The Glasgow School of Art

Not an exhaustive list, just what I can remember at the moment. The added risk is why there are specific renovation insurance policies available and why there are also specific regulations about how renovation work should be carried out. Add old, dry, historic buildings into the mix, and the risk of fire is unfortunately greater than usual.

Sad to see this latest example.

L1011 wrote: »
    Or an actual builder, seeing as there was work underway?
    However reports in the French media said there wasn't any work taking place at the time the blaze began because workmen had finished for the day.

A spokesman for the Cathedral said: "At this moment we don't know how the fire started. There shouldn't have been any workmen on the site because they stop between 17:00 and 17:30...

With workers supposed to have finished for the day it appears they were all off site by the time the fire broke out.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190415/do-we-know-how-the-notre-dame-fire-started

Just saying ....

Possibly one of the people checking the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Why does Macron want to setup funding outside the french border to pay for it to be rebuilt ? Why do they need tax payers money from other nations ? It's not like France is a third world country.

Sad to see it in the state it's in now, luckily it can be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why does Macron want to setup funding outside the french border to pay for it to be rebuilt ? Why do they need tax payers money from other nations ? It's not like France is a third world country.

Call it crowdfunding on a massive scale! Lots of French people abroad and plenty of philanthropists who would stump up some cash through ego or belief for such an undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Because it’s a European cultural artifact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I think it's one of the most iconic buildings in the world, and many people and perhaps governments would like to help financially if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Breaking news....readers of boreds.ie know more about putting out the notre dame fire than experienced professional parisian firefighters
    Experts after reading a tweet from one of the most stupid people on the planet
    gctest50 wrote: »
    Hi vis on a construction site? Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

shamrock55 wrote: »
    American firefighting techniques leave Alot to be desired, they'd be the last outfit you'd take advice from tbh

Don't they have a reputation for just rushing into buildings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The positives here are the jobs that will be created rebuilding the cathedral, there are already wealthy people lining up to throw money at this project that will be coming down the line.
    Obviously it's a pity this happened at all but it could work out well in some ways.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The spire fell cos their hoses couldn't reach - not much good really

Bit of skill and precision like video below and they'd have it wetter than a Parisian whore on fathers day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But can't be 100% suire

FFS, how naive are you? It's faked.

By the way, you owe me €50 for this post seeing as you believe an oul ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

OldRio wrote: »
    Perhaps firefighting techniques should be left to the experts and not armchair wannabee firemen.

I asked a civil question out of interest. But at least you got that off your chest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

I asked a civil question out of interest. But at least you got that off your chest :)

All I made was a statement of fact. Whilst you thought Mr. Trumps 'expertise' was valid.

An American colleague brought this up as the very first thing today when Notre Dame came up in the conversation. The death stares she got from everyone else in the room, almost all European, were remarkable.

Ye live in your own little bubble thinking it's acceptable that that is the Notre Dame story. I thought it absolutely vile that the first thing that came into her head was a Trump tweet about fighting the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

An American colleague brought this up as the very first thing today when Notre Dame came up in the conversation. The death stares she got from everyone else in the room, almost all European, were remarkable.

Ye live in your own little bubble thinking it's acceptable that that is the Notre Dame story. I thought it absolutely vile that the first thing that came into her head was a Trump tweet about fighting the fire.

Brought what up ?

mattser wrote: »
    Brought what up ?

I mentioned Notre Dame first thing in the morning (we're in Asia) and she was the first person to respond and then went on a rant about Trump and his tweet.

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in person. I'm gutted that that building is gone before I had a chance to see it, and she did not give one solitary fuk, for all her caring about a Tweet. POS. After she was done, the rest of us just ignored that and talked about the actual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I mentioned Notre Dame first thing in the morning (we're in Asia) and she was the first person to respond and then went on a rant about Trump and his tweet.

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in person. I'm gutted that that building is gone before I had a chance to see it, and she did not give one solitary fuk, for all her caring about a Tweet. POS. After she was done, the rest of us just ignored that and talked about the actual event.

well Trump is her President and maybe his tweeting bothers her more than it does you... hardly reason to call her a POS in my eyes.

was this an exercise in outdoing each other in the grief stakes or what?

proving your cultural bona fides or something?

• Advertisement

And 'she' was who?

Advertisement