Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,819 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is_that_so wrote:
    It's called vote management. Lots up for her in Monaghan, Louth and Meath.
    Well they don't know what they are doing if they are putting them up in Louth and Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Duno did I read it on here or elsewhere that FG are pushing Mcguiness in the east+ borders, and the Rose in the west, probly to build her platform for next years Gen Election. Id say this will affect Mcguiness's visability in the west and maybe drive people to Casey +Ming?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well they don't know what they are doing if they are putting them up in Louth and Meath
    Why is that now?

Duno did I read it on here or elsewhere that FG are pushing Mcguiness in the east+ borders, and the Rose in the west, probly to build her platform for next years Gen Election. Id say this will affect Mcguiness's visability in the west and maybe drive people to Casey +Ming?
    Well they have the rose posters all over Donegal, Sligo and Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, that's how they worked last time, with Jim Higgins. It's called vote management. She got 30k transfers from him, which elected her. It's such a huge constituency that the FF & FG pairs don't need to be everywhere, just worry about their own area. That means less infighting as well!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

eagle eye wrote: »

She's a strong Brexit voice whose stock has risen immensely over he issue.

She will certainly appeal to the border counties (I know Meath isn't one but it's not far away)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

These are the areas most affected by traveller activity.

Casey got 222,000 more votes in the rest of the country.

His total vote was 342,000.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Yup, many of the 120k who gave Casey a protest vote will be FF and FG voters. It’s easy enough scare up some votes when none of the parties that dominate the countryside are even running a candidate.

He got 120,000 votes in the Midlands-North-West constituency.
    He got 342,000 votes overall (23% of the FPV)
    People want alternatives whether the established parties like it or not. He will poll well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,315 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

With a general election in the air this one will go along party lines.

There isn't a FG voter on the planet who will pass McGuinness and she will poll incredibly well with those worried about Brexit.

She might even bring Walsh in with her.
    Casey won't figure unless he can come up with something to have a rant about, Direct Provision doesn't seem to be it, it got little traction.

With a general election in the air this one will go along party lines.

There isn't a FG voter on the planet who will pass McGuinness and she will poll incredibly well with those worried about Brexit.

She might even bring Walsh in with her.
    Casey won't figure unless he can come up with something to have a rant about, Direct Provision does seem to be it.

Paddy Power have Casey as 4th favourite. Odds of 4/7 now.

PP are usually pretty good at this election betting (except when they didn't see Boxer Moran as a certainty and left him at 8/1 for ages!).
    I had a tasty bet early in the Presidential election for Casey as best runner-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I see Peter Casey the massive gobshite has been caught posting fake support messages on social media.

Paddy Power have Casey as 4th favourite. Odds of 4/7 now.

PP are usually pretty good at this election betting (except when they didn't see Boxer Moran as a certainty and left him at 8/1 for ages!).
    I had a tasty bet early in the Presidential election for Casey as best runner-up.

I sometimes think Casey's support is more interested in winning money than they are in who gets elected. More people here had tasty bets on him in the Presidential election than were allegedly in the GPO in 1916. :rolleyes:

Sheeps wrote:
    I see Peter Casey the massive gob****e has been caught posting fake support messages on social media.
    Who caught him? Was it the FF or FG troll farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

is_that_so wrote: »
    FG and FF , when they get their act together, are all about the vote management. It's quite rare to find big poll toppers from either, save in ego-driven TDs or constituencies with leaders. She's a very good performer in Europe, in a high profile job, and can relate to many of the issues especially in agriculture. I don't think she'll top the poll, that's for the Mings & Carthys of this world to compete for but she will get a seat without any doubt.

Yes, very true and that’s the reason that McGuinness should be comfortably elected. I know a former director of elections for FG for one of the constituencies. I was astounded at how carefully they calculate how to divvie up the constituency so that each candidate gets equal exposure. She’ll get a lot of second preferences from people who give Walsh their FPV and as an incumbent with an extensive track record, should get plenty of FPVs herself. Walsh will probably get a lot of second preferences from McGuinness’s FPVs but it remains to be seen whether that will be enough.

First poll sees Casey on 9% with McGuinness running away with it on 26%, Ming and Carthy following.
    image.png

Only surprise for me is the FF vote.

Lol, but McGuinness 'might' get in and Ming and Casey will 'run away with it' if you believed the experts here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Ming..the drug-using degenerate. Nice jumper too. He looks like a homeless sex-offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ming..the drug-using degenerate. Nice jumper too. He looks like a homeless sex-offender.

Anything interesting to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Preferred Charlie Haughey’s silk shirts did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

He got 120,000 votes in the Midlands-North-West constituency.
    He got 342,000 votes overall (23% of the FPV)
    People want alternatives whether the established parties like it or not. He will poll well.

I love how you are so confident in your opinions regardless of inconvenient facts. Obviously you hate FF and FG so you think that means everyone does... you understand that they are still the two most popular parties in rural Ireland and will be after the election?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Anything interesting to say?

No he doesn't..a load of drug-addled babble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

at least ive seen ming raise issues in the european parliament, more than can be said for mcarthey. SF have become really invisible in doenagl SW since the dail consituency became a 5 seater.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Preferred Charlie Haughey’s silk shirts did you?

Love him or loathe him, Charlie did great things for the country. What has Ming done? How often did he actually attend in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

robman60 wrote: »
    Problem for FF may be that their best chance, Smyth, has a lot of territorial competition. Carthy is in the same constituency as him and SF is a better 'hurt the government' vote than FF, I think. Additionally, McGuinness isn't too far away either.

My feeling is that the border counties will be less inclined to go FF at present because if they feel they want an anti-Brexit voice speaking in Europe, McGuinness is the prominent voice, while nationalist concerns may point more towards Carthy.

Add to that the wildcard that is Casey, who if he is to appeal to any main party support, it is probably FF.

I could definitely see FF getting two candidates close, but none over the line for the second time in a row.

Brendan Smyth is old and a bit of a mediocrity, he won't take many non FF votes

at least ive seen ming raise issues in the european parliament, more than can be said for mcarthey.

Ming is a bum. McCarthy hasn't done it because he's not yet a member of the parliament.

SF have become really invisible in doenagl SW since the dail consituency became a 5 seater.

Sinn Fein are a bunch of marxist bums and donegal doesn't matter on any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ming is a bum.

So he sits at home all day doing nothing is that right? Look you have an issue with Ming, fair enough, but he's far from a bum. He's worked his ass off to get into the Dail and then into Europe. Bums don't do any work hence your analogy is wide off the mark.

Love him or loathe him, Charlie did great things for the country. What has Ming done? How often did he actually attend in Europe?

Ming not attending Europe is actually one of the biggest myths that's spun by his detractors based on his poor attendance at the beginning due to his wife being ill. It's quite poor form to either use his wife's illness as a stick to beat him with or not even bothering to research why wasn't turning up initially.

He has a voting record of 95%, missing 400 out of over 10,000 votes.

Source: https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-luke-ming-flanagan-2.html#/##vote-tabs-1

ollkiller wrote: »
    So he sits at home all day doing nothing is that right? Look you have an issue with Ming, fair enough, but he's far from a bum. He's worked his ass off to get into the Dail and then into Europe. Bums don't do any work hence your analogy is wide off the mark.

Has a 95.65% roll call vote record. Doubt there is an Irish MEP with a higher record.

So saying he is a bum, or is not participating is just factually wrong, but when did 'facts' ever bother the Casey voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He moved there, lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He stopped consuming cannabis years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement