Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

eagle eye wrote: »
    The above sounds like something written by a CIA sympathiser.

Disappointed - thought you could do better than that. I'm clearly a member of the GRU masquerading as a member of the CIA in order to disguise from my GRU handlers that I am really a CIA double-agent who has unfiltrated the GRU in order to spread fake news on Boards. Now I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

1641 wrote:
    Disappointed - thought you could do better than that. I'm clearly a member of the GRU masquerading as a member of the CIA in order to disguise from my GRU handlers that I am really a CIA double-agent who has unfiltrated the GRU in order to spread fake news on Boards. Now I'm out!
    Off with you.
    You posted somebody else's comments with no link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Skipping bail and hiding out in an embassy is utter cowardice, it is the complete opposite of bravery.

But he ran away from justice and you call him brave for it. That does not compute.

It is brave to leak documents you know is going to make you a marked man.
    You seem to be of the view that he has nothing to fear if he is innocent of the rape charges. I am not.
    So, if he is innocent of the rape charges, and fears they are a pretext to eventually being extradited to America, then i can understand why he sought refuge in the embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting account here from an eyewitness who saw Assange being presented to the Americans "on a plate" during a hearing. The CIA are obviously calling all the shots now. The Swedes, like Pontius Pilate, have washed their hands of the whole thing.

Mentally and physically Assange has been reduced to a shadow of his former self. He seems barely able to comprehend what is happening to him.
    Unfortunately, all his lawyer can do for him is to try and argue for a delay in the extradition. But a delay is just more time for Assange in the solitary confinement cell in Belmarsh. He is caught between a rock and a very hard place.

Its amazing how a dissident political journalist can be so utterly destroyed, in a 21st century democracy.

Meanwhile...
    Britain will impose sanctions on authoritarian regimes that harass and imprison dissident journalists and campaigners, as part of its role as a "good global citizen" after Brexit, Dominic Raab declares today.
    (Not a joke)

If he gets sent to the US it's time for everybody to rise up and fight. Any decision to extradite him should be made by a jury but those in power don't want that because you can be certain he would walk out a free man.
    Anybody responsible for sending a man to the United States for the sole reason that he assisted in exposing their unlawful acts on foreign soil should be taken from their homes and held in solitary confinement, waterboarded and tortured in other ways to see how they like it. You can be certain that is what awaits Julian Assange when he is extradited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If he gets sent to the US it's time for everybody to rise up and fight.
    If we didn't do it for the illegal invasion of Iraq that left a million dead people, why would you think it would happen for Julian Assange, unjust though it may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Journalist my arse.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Journalist my arse.

no just a journalist.
    if america had behaved itself then julian wouldn't have had to expose anything in relation to them.
    goes for any country misbehaving around the world and then whining when their activities get exposed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

no just a journalist.
    if america had behaved itself then julian wouldn't have had to expose anything in relation to them.
    goes for any country misbehaving around the world and then whining when their activities get exposed.

Setting the bar low for journalism then
    He conveniently helped the Russians and they tried to get him to escape he UK

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Setting the bar low for journalism then
    He conveniently helped the Russians and they tried to get him to escape he UK

i'm not exactly a fan of the russians either, but if they had managed to help him escape the uk, and in turn extradition to america, then that would have been a good thing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

no just a journalist.
    Its not whining as we seen with Snowden case if hes ever to come back it would be guaranteed max sentence for life in prison. Yet he was made villain and enemy of state for exposing that government tracks countries, their own people and uses influence and corruption to get things done - which by US standards warrants him life in prison, if ever US get their hands on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

recedite wrote: »
    Interesting account here from an eyewitness who saw Assange being presented to the Americans "on a plate" during a hearing. The CIA are obviously calling all the shots now. The Swedes, like Pontius Pilate, have washed their hands of the whole thing.

Mentally and physically Assange has been reduced to a shadow of his former self. He seems barely able to comprehend what is happening to him.
    Unfortunately, all his lawyer can do for him is to try and argue for a delay in the extradition. But a delay is just more time for Assange in the solitary confinement cell in Belmarsh. He is caught between a rock and a very hard place.

Its amazing how a dissident political journalist can be so utterly destroyed, in a 21st century democracy.

Meanwhile... (Not a joke)

The power of the false accusation. No man is immune.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Where would that leave him legally? I'm not really following this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Where would that leave him legally? I'm not really following this.

he still has a prison sentence for breaching bail to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I thought he had finished his sentence for breaching bail and was just on general lockup seeing as he was a flight risk as Sweden/US wanted him deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Now the extradition to US.

Quick kangaroo court.

Locked up.

Then the " "suicide" ".

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

no he doesn't, just before he finished his sentence a judge decided he wasn't being out again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sweden should have dropped their charges years ago.
    They are just US puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »

They were forced to drop the charges because Assange hid away for so long so witness testimony can no longer be relied on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Not just Sweden, though. The UK as well. And what if he had run into the Irish embassy? His end wouldn't have been any different than now, for sure.

He's toast, what with all the drugging and whatever awaits him stateside.

I don't think much of him as a man (narcissistic screwed up person imo and that is toxic in interpersonal relationships), but he has accomplished something seminal in the use of WWW as a significant channel for whistleblowers, and now that cat is out of the bag forevermore.

But all this show isn't about justice at all at all, it's about Uncle Sam getting his revenge quite blatantly, and it is, frankly, disgusting. Almost makes me want to go live in China or something. At least there is no pretence that they won't crush ya like a juggernaut if you cross them.

I'm just reading his hearing has been put back to November.
    I think all of this shows the world that there is not only corruption at the highest levels of government but that they'll go to any lengths to protect it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm just reading his hearing has been put back to November.
    it.
    Did he expect to get rewarded for not isolating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Equador is one of the biggest US puppet states going. That they would even think of defying the US is laughable.
    This whole thing from beginning to end has been hogwash.

My oh my. I have no idea if assange is guilty but a fair few here seem dedicated to their political beliefs and are judging a man guilty or not guilty based on that. Mostly usual suspects but a few I'm surprised to see.

Wikileaks in my opinion will be one of the most important outlets that ever existed.

My oh my. I have no idea if assange is guilty but a fair few here seem dedicated to their political beliefs and are judging a man guilty or not guilty based on that. Mostly usual suspects but a few I'm surprised to see.

Wikileaks in my opinion will be one of the most important outlets that ever existed.

Wikileaks is a limited hangout set up by US intelligence agencies through Assange to intercept whistleblower's data before it goes public.

Also used to leak certain info, true or otherwise to the public to further their own causes.

Wikileaks is a limited hangout set up by US intelligence agencies through Assange to intercept whistleblower's data before it goes public.
    What do they call you? Is it a conspiracy conspiracy theorist?

Also used to leak certain info, true or otherwise to the public to further their own causes.

What verifiably untrue information have wikileaks published?

• Advertisement

What do they call you? Is it a conspiracy conspiracy theorist?
    Call me what you like, Honey. Just not before 9:00 ;)

Advertisement