Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I reckon the 12 months is really to give them time to decide what to do next.
    As it says in the link...
    The UK will decide whether to extradite Assange to the US in response to allegations that he conspired with former US intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to download classified databases.
    He faces up to five years in a US prison if convicted.
    But I still think they hope to send him to Sweden, which will play better in the UK. The only problem is, Sweden hasn't asked for him yet.

Its worth remembering that Assange is literally an asylum seeker, in the true sense of the word. We have become so used to that word being abused and associated with illegal immigrants that we have forgotten its actual meaning.
    The only "crime" Assange has committed so far is to try to avoid being jailed for trumped-up politically motivated charges in a foreign jurisdiction.

He may well be a narcissist and a looper, but that in itself is not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Judge was straight to the point

“His assertion that he has not had a fair hearing is laughable. And his behaviour is that of a narcissist who cannot get beyond his own selfish interests.”

Isn't it in everyone's selfish interest to not want to go to jail?

recedite wrote: »
    Its worth remembering that Assange is literally an asylum seeker, in the true sense of the word. We have become so used to that word being abused and associated with illegal immigrants that we have forgotten its actual meaning.
    The only "crime" Assange has committed so far is to try to avoid being jailed for trumped-up politically motivated charges in a foreign jurisdiction.

He may well be a narcissist and a looper, but that in itself is not a crime.
    If he really did provide Manning with assistance or encouragement to get password-protected files, that was a huge mistake on his part. Because that seems like a legitimate charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If he really did provide Manning with assistance or encouragement to get password-protected files, that was a huge mistake on his part. Because that seems like a legitimate charge.

I still don't accept that a person should have to face the US justice system when they never even set foot on that continent.

I mean, you can get into serious trouble for being a homosexual under Saudi Arabian laws. And you can get into serious trouble for criticising the government under Chinese laws, and you can get into serious trouble over some marijuana possession in a place like the Philippines and so forth.
    People shouldn't be held accountable to other countries laws if they have never been to that country.

Extradition treaties come from a time before online 'crimes' even existed. We need to have a serious revaluation of what they mean going into the future.

Irish people have already been extradited to face the American justice system over online crimes. Many citizens here would get a very sharp wake up call if this sort of situation calls to their own door. And could well change their opinion of Assange's plight fairly quickly. It has a very realistic chance of happening here more and more.

• Advertisement

I posted a link to the collateral murder video a few pages back.
    Its a video of journalists being machine gunned from a helicopter gunship by laughing soldiers.
    Now that its available on the internet, the US military has suffered a PR setback. But so what? What about the people who were killed? This issue strikes at the heart of the whole concept of whistleblowing, and whether its a good thing or a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only problem is, Sweden hasn't asked for him yet.
    Just a matter of time now

Sweden reopens rape allegation investigation
    Prosecutors set up extradition battle with US for WikiLeaks founder, who is in prison in UK
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/julian-assange-sweden-reopens-rape-allegation-investigation-1.3890357

Indeed, the Swedes are saying they will reopen the case "following a request by the lawyer of his alleged victim" but I think the real pressure for this is coming from London.

Tbh, if Sweden wanted they could just count the stay in the embassy as house arrest.
    Julian have already "served" longer than the penalties for the perps of one of the most brutal rapes in Sweden ever.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20120411/40208

• Registered Users Posts: 37,621 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The US could be behind Sweden reopening the case. They'll get him from Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

eagle eye wrote: »
    The US could be behind Sweden reopening the case. They'll get him from Sweden.

Nothing to do with the fact that there has been no justice for the person he (allegedly) attacked in Sweden?

A lot of people seem to think everything involving this arsehole is a worldwide conspiracy...it's not..he's a criminal and he will finally atone for his crimes.

Nothing to do with the fact that there has been no justice for the person he (allegedly) attacked in Sweden?
    A lot of people seem to think everything involving this arsehole is a worldwide conspiracy...it's not..he's a criminal and he will finally atone for his crimes.
    I think you are a delusional person. You like to hate.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think you are a delusional person. You like to hate.

You don't know anything about me...i have noticed that supporters of Assange tend to be a little bit screwy in the head though..trying to make a hero out of a common criminal

You don't know anything about me...i have noticed that supporters of Assange tend to be a little bit screwy in the head though..trying to make a hero out of a common criminal
    I know plenty about you based 😠n your post history. You like to hate on people, you never have an unbiased, open to discussion attitude.
    I'm not normally on the side they f hackers and I'm not a huge fan of Assange but I believe in fairness and proper justice.
    I don't like the American covert organisations and I believe that what Assange did in revealing the truth about kidnapping, torture and war crimes was helpful to society. I don't believe he should have to face charges for that seeing as he was not in the US at the time.

trying to make a hero out of a common criminal
    You make it sound like he jumped women from behind a bush and dragged them away. That's not what happened.

https://www.anorak.co.uk/267390/reviews/julian-assange-and-a-broken-condom-rape-in-sweden-a-timeline-of-events.html
    Anorak.co.uk have wrritten a timeline of events
    It isn't for me to say if it was rape or not but it seems to have been consensual at the time.

Woman A
    August 13: The pair have dinner. They go back to her place and have sex. He wears a condom. It breaks.

Woman B
    August 16: At her place they have sex. Assange wears a condom.
    August 17: They have sex again. He wears no condom.

August 17: Woman B calls woman A. She tells her of the unprotected sex.

August 20: The two women go to a Stockholm police station. The first woman alleges that during sex Assange had “deliberately” broken the condom. The police consider the option that the women are victims. They think there has been possible rape and sexual molestation.

Or do you mean running Wikileaks was his crime?

biko wrote: »
    You make it sound like he jumped women from behind a bush and dragged them away. That's not what happened.

https://www.anorak.co.uk/267390/reviews/julian-assange-and-a-broken-condom-rape-in-sweden-a-timeline-of-events.html
    Very entertaining; Its worth the read.
    At the seminar, Woman B bought Assange a computer cable. In computing terms this is, possibly, akin to roses.

They ended up at the city’s Natural History Museum, where Assange headed to a computer console and, to the woman’s clear annoyance, twittered about his day.
    You can feel the romance. But he has to go. There is to be a crayfish party he has been invited to.
    One thing still confuses me though. What happens at a Swedish Crayfish Party?
    Does one dress up as a crayfish, or eat a crayfish, or get to meet a crayfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

biko wrote: »

Anorak.co.uk have wrritten a timeline of events
    It isn't for me to say if it was rape or not but it seems to have been consensual at the time.

Woman A
    August 13: The pair have dinner. They go back to her place and have sex. He wears a condom. It breaks.

Woman B
    August 16: At her place they have sex. Assange wears a condom.
    August 17: They have sex again. He wears no condom.

August 17: Woman B calls woman A. She tells her of the unprotected sex.

August 20: The two women go to a Stockholm police station. The first woman alleges that during sex Assange had “deliberately” broken the condom. The police consider the option that the women are victims. They think there has been possible rape and sexual molestation.

Or do you mean running Wikileaks was his crime?

Lets check the claim made by one of the girls:
    Miss W met Assange at a seminar organized by Ardin, she told police. They later met up and went to her apartment, where they started to have sex. But Assange did not want to use a condom, Miss W said, so they stopped and eventually fell asleep. Later that night, she said, they woke up and had consensual sex, during which he “unwillingly” used a condom. But in the morning, Miss W said, she woke up to find Assange penetrating her without a condom.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/4/12/18306901/julian-assange-arrest-wikileaks-rape-sweden-embassy

Doesn't sound very consensual to me.

recedite wrote:
    One thing still confuses me though. What happens at a Swedish Crayfish Party? Does one dress up as a crayfish, or eat a crayfish, or get to meet a crayfish?

You get to rape a crayfish then legit to avoid the consequences

biko wrote:
    Anorak.co.uk have wrritten a timeline of events It isn't for me to say if it was rape or not but it seems to have been consensual at the time.

Who are anorak.co.uk? Sounds like a website for paedophiles rather than a newsworthy source.

...in the morning, Miss W said, she woke up to find Assange penetrating her without a condom.
    There was the option to say "feck off Julian, just go downstairs and make the breakfast" but I guess nobody would be interested in listening to that story afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There was the option to say "feck off Julian, just go downstairs and make the breakfast" but I guess nobody would be interested in listening to that story afterwards.

you think she should just tell him to feck off after he had already penetrated her without consent? what a cesspit AH has become

He doesn't strike me as somebody who is quick enough to get in and out before herself has time to say "feck off".
    That's why they don't call him Lightning Assange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Looks like they got fed up with this spoilt egomanic and withdrew his asylum.
    I have always considered him a loathsome self serving prick.
    Betting on the US now seeking his extradition?

I could never understand why asylum seekers are looked down upon so much in society when this guy was accused of rape and sought asylum to avoid going to court. Sweden has re-opened the rape investigation.

He doesn't strike me as somebody who is quick enough to get in and out before herself has time to say "feck off".
    That's why they don't call him Lightning Assange.

what is that supposed to mean? sounds a lot like condoning rape to me.

what is that supposed to mean? sounds a lot like condoning rape to me.
    It means if you don't object at the time, its a bit rich calling it rape a week later.

It means if you don't object at the time, its a bit rich calling it rape a week later.

so he penetrates her without consent but because she didn't report it fast enough for your liking he gets a free pass. I didnt want to think that you condone rape but you certainly seem to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I could never understand why asylum seekers are looked down upon so much in society when this guy was accused of rape and sought asylum to avoid going to court. Sweden has re-opened the rape investigation.

Because the average asylum seekers isn't worth much to anyone else, they can't be used as a bargaining chip or to score a point in a international squabble.

I didnt want to think that you condone rape but you certainly seem to do that.
    Assange says it wasn't rape, it was consensual. Let the court decide.

What do you want, a signed contract every time? I'm guessing you're still a virgin.

Assange says it wasn't rape, it was consensual. Let the court decide.

What do you want, a signed contract every time? I'm guessing you're still a virgin.

she said no penetration without a condom. He decided to ignore that and that nullified consent. he raped her. No means no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hard to object if you're asleep. She made it clear that she wanted him to wear a condom. He did. And later that morning rode her while she was asleep without one. Do you think that's ok?

Advertisement