Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

Update Assange could be convicted up to 175 years in US prison: could he become a 'suicide' statistic?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54060427

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Update Assange could be convicted up to 175 years in US prison: could he become a 'suicide' statistic?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54060427

If it was a Chinese whistleblower who was banged up in Belmarsh Prison for exposing Beijing war crimes against, e.g. Uighurs. and The UK government were then threatened by China to have him sent to China to face the music and the rest of his life in prison simply for legally publishing State crimes...then what would be the mood?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting

“The [US] request seeks extradition for what is a classic ‘political offence’. Extradition for a political offence is expressly prohibited by article 4(1) of the Anglo-US extradition treaty. Therefore, it constitutes an abuse of this court’s process to require this court to extradite on the basis of the Anglo-US treaty in breach of the treaty’s express provisions.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/07/julian-assange-extradition-hearing-begins-at-old-bailey-wikileaks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would Assange is sorry he ever leaked all them files now. His life is ruined and he will end up seeing the rest of it out either in a prison in the UK or the US. Secrets that he leaked are there for a reason. It was not for him to leak them. He made the world less safe by doing so. Maybe he got a kick out of it at the time but I would say he has long since forgotten that. So really was it worth it? I doubt it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

AMKC wrote: »
    I would Assange is sorry he ever leaked all them files now. His life is ruined and he will end up seeing the rest of it out either in a prison in the UK or the US. Secrets that he leaked are there for a reason. It was not for him to leak them. He made the world less safe by doing so. Maybe he got a kick out of it at the time but I would say he has long since forgotten that. So really was it worth it? I doubt it.

the fact they weren't his to leak doesn't matter, they were in the public interest to leak and he rightly leaked them.
    the world isn't less safe because he leaked them, probably more safe actually.
    criminals should always be exposed, because it's a state that have decided they are the good guys doesn't change that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the fact they weren't his to leak doesn't matter, they were in the public interest to leak and he rightly leaked them.
    the world isn't less safe because he leaked them, probably more safe actually.
    criminals should always be exposed, because it's a state that have decided they are the good guys doesn't change that.

were they in the interest of the people he put in danger by leaking their names? I suppose assange can claim ignorance of that because he never actually read 99% of what he released.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Moving thread to CA/IMHO - please note and observe the local charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am the polar opposite of this.
    No-one got hurt by these leaks and the world became a better place for them.
    I really hope Assange and Snowden will be pardoned by Trump but maybe the world isn't ready for that kind of forgiveness.

Ms

were they in the interest of the people he put in danger by leaking their names? I suppose assange can claim ignorance of that because he never actually read 99% of what he released.

Hopefully when other people think of doing something stupid like that they will see what happened to Assange how he ruined his life by doing it and think twice about doing it. So hopefully it has stopped and does stop other people doing this in the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hopefully when other people think of doing something stupid like that they will see what happened to Assange how he ruined his life by doing it and think twice about doing it. So hopefully it has stopped and does stop other people doing this in the future.

Why would you support cover-ups and lying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Assange leaked information on crimes committed by US soldiers. That's hardly a bad thing, is it?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Assange leaked information on crimes committed by US soldiers. That's hardly a bad thing, is it?

he also released details on things that were not crimes but compromised individuals. he cannot accept credit for one without accepting rebuke for the other.

if the people who's names he leaked were involved in criminal activity, or sanctioned criminal activity, then i don't care whether it was in their interest or not, if i'm honest.

very, very unlikely that will happen thankfully.
    brave journalistic heroes will always from time to time expose state criminality and corruption, and in turn make the world a better place.

if the people who's names he leaked were involved in criminal activity, or sanctioned criminal activity, then i don't care whether it was in their interest or not, if i'm honest.

you have no idea if they were or not. neither did assange but he released the information anyway. he didnt care if he put peoples lives in danger. he didnt even know they were mentioned. that is not journalism.

Ms

you have no idea if they were or not. neither did assange but he released the information anyway. he didnt care if he put peoples lives in danger. he didnt even know they were mentioned. that is not journalism.

Well said. Assange had no regard about if he put other people's lives or careers in danger. He only cared about getting a thrill from doing it. Now he is suffering long term for his short term thrill.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yes it is. That was mone of his or anyone else business. If they done bad the the Militery courts, JAG or whoever looks into that would give them whatever sentence they deserve for whatever crime they done. I unless you were involved in thlat war it was really no one else's business.
    So yes it was bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes it is. That was mone of his or anyone else business. If they done bad the the Militery courts, JAG or whoever looks into that would give them whatever sentence they deserve for whatever crime they done. I unless you were involved in thlat war it was really no one else's business.
    So yes it was bad.

wrong it was everybody's business that such crimes were committed.
    so it was brilliant, heroic and absolutely just, and julian the heroe journalist will be remembered for his bravery in exposing such evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So yes it was bad.

I think that's the point. There was zero chance the military courts were going to look into that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭lizzyjane

Sorry for digging an old thread up as I couldn't see one on this topic recently.

So tomorrow, sometime before midday we will find out the final decision of Julian Assange's appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭engineerws

Why is he in prison in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Here's hoping he walks out of court a free man tomorrow.

God help the UK if they send him to the US. They'll get it from everywhere, at least months of rallies on the streets, from many countries around the world in Parliament and they'll have no friends in the media. Their court system will be trashed and you can be sure anon will be looking for any dirty secrets in the UK justice system to expose via x and the likes.

And they deserve every single bit of it if they send him.

I'm not one to wish bad on anybody, that's unless they do something wrong and in this instance a man who received information and published it has done nothing wrong. In fact all he's done is exposed horrific crimes to the world.

So if the wrong result is delivered tomorrow I wish nothing but misery for the rest of their lives on all those who took part in arranging, organising and in any way being involved in the extradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

He's suffered a fair bit already but I don't mind if he goes to the US to face justice (not the death penalty obviously)

He maliciously leaked selective information to suit his own fringe partisan/political views, information that compromised lives and national security, lives he didn't care care one jot about, journalists, human rights advocates, dissidents, political advocates, etc living in dangerous places taking massive risks (e.g. over 100 Afghan informers, who the Taliban quickly noted they would uncover now they had the names)

That was not journalism, he gave them no time for them to review the information, released most of it unredacted. No doubt lives were lost, security compromised (he almost blew the lid on the Bin Laden raid), absolute piece of **** on a vendetta cosplaying as a "whistle-blower". Can see why many don't care if he rots in a US prison.

And I used to donate to Wikileaks back in the day before they exposed themselves, christ.

the lives he apparently compromised compromised their own lives by either committing terrorism or helping with it.

the national security he apparently compromised was of countries who were involved in committing or supporting terrorism, and who compromised their own national security.

assange is not to blame for anything, he simply quite rightly leaked information on criminal behaviour that the public have a right to know was being done in their name, any lives lost as a result were down to those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

100% agreed.

He’s defended by the same people that would make speaking basic facts as “hate speech” whilst protesting that he was merely exercising freedom of speech. Hypocrisy!!!

I hope he serves every second he can possibly be given.

He labelled Afghan people who simply worked with the US in Afghanistan "informants" who "deserved" to die. Think about that. Human rights lawyers, interpreters, democracy advocates, people who were simply passing on information about whatever horrendous brutality the Taliban were up to - Assange had no problem that their names and therefore lives (and the lives of their families) were exposed to the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

100% - he has blood in his hands and I despair for people who believe his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see we have a few full on right wingers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I protested the 2003 Iraq war (and Afghanistan invasion) and as mentioned used to donate to Wikileaks so that spiel doesn't wash.

There's no "left wing" or "right wing" to this. He committed crimes, compromised national security and put people's lives at risk for his own petty vendettas. While some individuals (and the Kremlin) may side with his simplistic reductionist world views, that doesn't validate his criminal and reckless actions.

• Advertisement

he didn't label them such, it was the british and US governments who did that.

he simply made public information on war crimes.

Advertisement