Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cienciano wrote: »
    recedite wrote: »
    It means if you don't object at the time, its a bit rich calling it rape a week later.
    Hard to object if you're asleep. She made it clear that she wanted him to wear a condom. He did. And later that morning rode her while she was asleep without one. Do you think that's ok?
    Of course he does. For literally no other reason than he views Assange as "his side". Welcome to the modern "alt right" which that poster is very much aligned with. This is another in a long string of examples of how it is an extremist cult... Rape is ok, but only if they do it. I'm far more surprised that you and ohnonotgmail ever expected any better from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I doubt Assange would see himself as "alt right".
    I would not see him as alt right either.

In the unlikely event that she did not notice him riding her, you may want to call it rape. But what you are doing is devaluing the trauma of victims that have endured a real and brutal rape.

And of course, facilitating the extradition of an asylum seeker who is really wanted for a completely different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

In the unlikely event that she did not notice him riding her, you may want to call it rape. But what you are doing is devaluing the trauma of victims that have endured a real and brutal rape.

And of course, facilitating the extradition of an asylum seeker who is really wanted for a completely different matter.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Assange says it wasn't rape, it was consensual. Let the court decide.
    What do you want, a signed contract every time? I'm guessing you're still a virgin.

That is a novel idea. How do you get the court to decide if the person hides away avoiding that very court? I think everyone, other than his fans, agree with you that he should go to Sweden to face his accuser and the legal system and not hide away in a foreign embassy, so that we can just get some clarity on if he is actually guilty of rape or not.

Also, isn't he stretching the term asylum a bit? He is not being persecuted by his own country as far as I am aware. He could very easily go back to Australia and live a peaceful life. It is a foreign country that he has trouble with and I don't know what official status he should fall under. Surely his own country will have their own legal system and he will have support to fight the US request. Otherwise you are basically saying Australia is acting in bad faith and shouldn't be trusted, his own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Billy86 wrote: »
    Of course he does. For literally no other reason than he views Assange as "his side". Welcome to the modern "alt right" which that poster is very much aligned with. This is another in a long string of examples of how it is an extremist cult... Rape is ok, but only if they do it. I'm far more surprised that you and ohnonotgmail ever expected any better from them.

Assange is alt right? Load of b*ll*cks. Cop yourself on, lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Calina wrote: »
    You really don't have a clue, do you?

Check the post history; it's something of a running theme with this poster to express strong and confident opinions on subjects he knows almost nothing about.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Also, isn't he stretching the term asylum a bit? He is not being persecuted by his own country as far as I am aware. He could very easily go back to Australia and live a peaceful life.
    Not at all, he is one of the very few genuine asylum seekers in the UK. The vast majority are economic migrants. A foreign government wants to lock him up because he exposed the dark underbelly of their nefarious activities. That's political.

He is not a US citizen and was not even there at the time of the alleged crime. But if someone is seeking political asylum, that part is irrelevant.
    The Dalai Lama has political asylum in India from China, but he is not Chinese.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Check the post history; it's something of a running theme with this poster to express strong and confident opinions on subjects he knows almost nothing about.
    Attack the posts, not the poster. If you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

41 pages and 607 posts so far and this is the first post to mention 'Cuba'.

If anyone is interested do a search 'Anna Ardin Cuba' and there is some very interesting stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Attack the posts, not the poster. If you can.

I made no attack on you as a person, just on your posts general lack of anything approaching factual accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If anyone is interested do a search 'Anna Ardin Cuba' and there is some very interesting stuff there.
    There are loads on here who have already convicted him and they won't even Google that never mind read up on her.
    If they do then they'll decide that this is made up by Assange's friends and backers.
    Then when you say that it's a conspiracy designed to get Assange locked up in the US they'll laugh at you and say you are nuts.
    You can see the way it's going here, if you think it's a likely stitch up you are anti-feminist.
    Any unbiased person that takes a neutral stance before reading everything would come to the conclusion that there is no case to answer.
    He will never stand trial because as soon as he gets to Sweden they'll send him to the US which is what this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So the rape wasn't real? And it's only rape when it's brutal? What Assange allegedly did isn't the stereotypical dark alley violent rape, but if you think that's the only form of rape you're extremely ignorant on the subject and should at the very least read the definition of the word before you start telling people what it is.

Cienciano wrote:
    So the rape wasn't real? And it's only rape when it's brutal? What Assange allegedly did isn't the stereotypical dark alley violent rape, but if you think that's the only form of rape you're extremely ignorant on the subject and should at the very least read the definition of the word before you start telling people what it is.
    I don't think there was a rape. Read all the stuff about it and make your own mind up.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think there was a rape. Read all the stuff about it and make your own mind up.

That's up to the courts. But that wasn't the question, guy I replied to thinks what Assange allegedly did was ok and wasn't rape.
    I read the statements to the police, if they are true, it's rape. Not as serious as a violent rape from a guy on a street, but it's still a form of rape.

Cienciano wrote:
    That's up to the courts. But that wasn't the question, guy I replied to thinks what Assange allegedly did was ok and wasn't rape. I read the statements to the police, if they are true, it's rape. Not as serious as a violent rape from a guy on a street, but it's still a form of rape.
    You read the statements? Where are they published?
    What about the text messages, did you see them?

I believe they call it a "honey trap" in the trade.
    Before ever meeting Assange, she had been expelled from Cuba by its government as a suspected CIA agent....

11 August: Assange arrives in Stockholm for a press conference organised by a branch of the Social Democratic Party.
    Anna Ardin has offered her one bed flat for him to stay in as she will be away.
    13 August: Ardin comes back early. She has dinner with Assange and they have consensual sex, on the first day of meeting. Ardin subsequently alleges this turned into assault by surreptitious mutilation of the condom.
    "Comes back early". And "perhaps" she then forgot Assange was staying in the flat, and walked straight into the shower, and began lathering herself with soap... :D
    https://www.globalresearch.ca/assange-allegation-stitch-up/5674521

The first link is just a collection of quotes from The Guardian.

The second link is allegedly a copy of a police interviewer's report, presented here by some dubious source (not the police).
    So its not her statement. Its in the third person ie. it refers to her by her name instead of saying "I did this.."

So even if its authentic, its not a statement to the police. Its a statement by the police.
    I read the statements to the police

And there is this bizarre part which does not exactly help your case that Anna Ardin is the victim here.
    I will however note here the fact that, following this statement, Ardin did produce a condom split across the top to police as evidence. However forensic examination showed not only that there was none of Assange’s DNA on the condom, but that it had never been worn by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Billy86 wrote: »

So Assange and anyone who shares his sentiments are alt right? :confused: The phrase wasn't even in usage when he went into the Ecuadorian embassy. He's also very likely being stitched up.

You very much need to go look in the mirror there before you claim other people are on a 'side' with regards to Assange.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So Assange and anyone who shares his sentiments are alt right? :confused: The phrase wasn't even in usage when he went into the Ecuadorian embassy. He's also very likely being stitched up.

You very much need to go look in the mirror there before you claim other people are on a 'side' with regards to Assange.

So it is just a coincidence that the majority of assange supporters on this thread are the usual alt-right cohort?

• Advertisement

So it is just a coincidence that the majority of assange supporters on this thread are the usual alt-right cohort?

How the hell should I know? :confused:

Assange was in the Ecuadorian embassy before the term alt right came into usage and he had plenty of supporters then.

I would have assumed people who support him are generally not alt right/right nor conservative. You're mind seems to already be made up on the matter, so you will fit in a narrative that now suits you (imo).

How the hell should I know? :confused:

Assange was in the Ecuadorian embassy before the term alt right came into usage and he had plenty of supporters then.

I would have assumed people who support him are generally not alt right/right nor conservative. You're mind seems to already be made up on the matter, so you will fit in a narrative that now suits you (imo).

i was making an observation that most of his supporters here are alt-right. You think that most of his supporters are not alt-right (and your mind seems very fixed on THAT). It is of course possible that his support on here is not representative off his support in general.

i was making an observation that most of his supporters here are alt-right. You think that most of his supporters are not alt-right (and your mind seems very fixed on THAT). It is of course possible that his support on here is not representative off his support in general.

Look dude, I'm not going to count all the posters in this thread and divide them into pro or anti Assange. But the third post on this thread has the sentence "I think he did the world a service" and it has 41 Thanks given, with lets say about 100 people in total active on this thread, that is very considerable and in no way a small minority of opinion. So if you think 41 people on this very thread are alt right then you're off your head and drank the kool aid.

Look dude, I'm not going to count all the posters in this thread and divide them into pro or anti Assange. But the third post on this thread has the sentence "I think he did the world a service" and it has 41 Thanks given, with lets say about 100 people in total active on this thread, that is very considerable and in no way a small minority of opinion. So if you think 41 people on this very thread are alt right then you're off your head and drank the kool aid.

Your black and white interpretation of that post is pretty basic. Has he done the world service? At one stage he did. Has he continued to do the world a service? absolutely not, hence the alt-right support. Has any of this any bearing on his rapey worldview? absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Your black and white interpretation of that post is pretty basic. Has he done the world service? At one stage he did. Has he continued to do the world a service? absolutely not, hence the alt-right support. Has any of this any bearing on his rapey worldview? absolutely not.

He's keenly supported by, and appeals to,fringes on both sides, which should tell you all you need to know

Fine line between principled whistle-blowing and partisan unethical leaks, his organisation went from the former to the latter

Is there anything to really back up that he is supported by the alt right? I would have thought he was supported by leftie anarco-capitalist types.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    He's keenly supported by, and appeals to,fringes on both sides, which should tell you all you need to know

Fine line between principled whistle-blowing and partisan unethical leaks, his organisation went from the former to the latter

that is my point

He did the world a favour and is paying the price for it.
    He is not a nice person but a brave one.
    The rape charges look very suspect.
    I sure he would go and face the charges if he wasn't facing extradition to the US.
    The whole world knows that he will be extradited to the US if he goes to Sweden.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He did the world a favour and is paying the price for it.
    He is not a nice person but a brave one.
    The rape charges look very suspect.
    I sure he would go and face the charges if he wasn't facing extradition to the US.
    The whole world knows that he will be extradited to the US if he goes to Sweden.

I see him in a similar way to Gordan Ramsey with regards to food knowledge. I can easily look passed who the man is or isn't in front of the camera and see the information they are bringing forward. Which is far more important.

People get hung up on whether a condom was deliberately split or not while the CIA goes around the world helping to destabilise and overthrow governments. It doesn't add up to me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To emphasise some key differences

Someone who specifically knows something is happening in e.g. a company, whistle-blows information concerning that activity only, redacts that which might harm innocent parties, releases the information in the most responsible manner possible

Someone else who hates/targets a company for partisan reasons, dumps a whole bunch of sensitive private and personal information, doesn't redact anything, doesn't give a damn about collateral damage, hopes there's something damaging in there somewhere, and dumps it all over the internet

Advertisement