Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

I understand the H8.2H is only single sat tuner compared to H7s, but does it have same functionality or is it just a lower end sat/terrestrial box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The general functionality should be the same. You need a 2nd satellite tuner if you want to watch/record one satellite channel while watching/recording another.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Thanks Gerry, recording not a main requirement (still have a Sky box in main room for that), this just for a man cave and would like to also to be able to watch around the house on other devices, phone/tablet etc...so I thought if it had same access to apps/plugins then the extra cost of the H7S wouldn't be needed.

The same rules apply when streaming a satellite channel, the tuner will be 'occupied' just as if it was recording. In your use case that should not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Hope this hasn't been asked/answered already, apologies if this is the case. My sister bought a H7s (same time as myself) but the audio randomly drops on hers (no issues with mine). She used to reboot and it would solve the issue but it is happening more often now, and she has to turn the machine off/on to resolve it now. HDMI changed so that can be ruled out. I said she should return it and get it reflashed but just wondering if there is a simple fix for this before it is returned? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Can she try it in place of yours to see if it happens there also.

What image is on box , powering off at rear not a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

If the box is still under guarantee then I would return it. But can you say how box was setup from the start and do you know about slot partitions? How long have you had the box? Was epg saved to HDD and not internal flash?

Do you know the image used? And version? Can you say the channels where sound dropped out? If your handy you can flash an image to another partition but I think box has a fault.

The yellow button should give you access to audio and red says ON, GREEN says on YELLOW says stereo.

If it says passthrough change it.

On the same menu you may see 2 numbers 1 is for blind, 2 is normal so have it on 2.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Almost certainly the box has swollen capacitors , Ive had two die like this .... You would need to be able to solder and have some electronics knowledge to attempt a fix.

Given the price and build quality of the box though , its not really worth it.

If its under warranty, send it back , if its not , buy a better box.

any pics of the swollen capacitors?/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Try this:

Menu

Setup

Audio & Video

Settings

The above is what I have with no issues

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

I have 4K and my settings on H7S

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I can’t get AutoBouquetMaker to scan so I’m trying the automatic scan. After the scan I only have the saorview channels in the epg. If I exclude tuner C from the scan then I can see the English channels alright. Anyone know how I get both satellite & saorview in the one epg without AutoBouquetMaker?

I'm setting up a box for a friend at the moment H7S and can you say the image and skin you are using. When you say you want EPG for Saorview and Sat combined do you actually mean the channels eg RTE 1 then BBC1? There are a few ways, 1 is with remote, 2 is with OPENWEBIF. 3 is with an editor on PC called dreambox edit.

The ABM will put the channels into bouquets.

Say image etc and maybe get ABM to work.

For image go MENU SETUP INFORMATION.

OpenVix 6.3 with default skin. I’m just trying to get Irish & English channels on same epg like Sky interface.

Can you run ABM again and when you run it go to hide sections and just keep the sections you need. Now I use SKY ROI and SAORVIEW I ignore Freesat UK.

The thing is have you configured ABM correctly and if not can you say when you tried to configure did you press green button to save your settings?

Funny i set mine to Sky UK London as wanting Itv's and BBCs' and set Saorview to Dublin 3 Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Moving Terrestrial Channels

How to have Irish epg channel to appear on the same list as Satellite epg.

This worked for me.

Press TV on your remote control

Press Yellow button on remote control

Select RTENL

Scroll down to Oireachtas ( do not press ok ) this is to test to see if this channel works for you

Press MENU on your remote control

Options will pop up

Select add service to bouquet

More pop up will appear

Scroll to ALL CHANNELS AND PRESS OK.

Oireachtas TV station should be on the same epg list as the satellite channel only it will be on the bottom of the list

If this works for you.

Do the same procedure for the rest of the channels you want to move

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Zac8 I know what you have done and here is the solution. Because you have done an automatic scan you have every single channel from Astra and your Saorview region in the box but where are they as they are not in bouquets, they are stored under providers. RTNL and BSKYB along with all the other European ones so quite a lot. There is a default bouquet in Openvix called Favourites!! and it is in there you put the channel you watch most and they wont get deleted ever unless you reflash box. So

1. Turn on box press FAV button and look along bottom of screen you should see coloured buttons RED GREEN YELLO BLUE with titles. If not screen is wrong.
    2. Press Yellow and a big list of providers appears. Its alphabetical so A etc see BSKYB arrow down press ok.
    3. The list that opens is very single channel on Astra including subscription ones.
    4. Arrrow down the BBC until you see BBC One Lon Hd and BBC NI HD select the one you want, have cursor on it .
    5. Press Menu and a menu pops up, you need number 7 but as you are going to do this a few times go arrow up up and you are on 7.
    6. press ok and a menu pops up Favourites /last scanned, the cursor is already on FAVOURITES so press ok. The list of channels re-appears so you do the same for say ITV but use right arrow to scroll its faster, left arrow to go back.
    7. But you need to check you are doing it right so press exit, then fav then ok and the channel you moved will be in there.
    8. I don't know if you enabled Opentv EPG yet so channels may have only now and next except for SAORVIEW as that transmits the epg with channels continuously.

It takes a bit of time but worth it. You can also move the channels once in the favourites so number 1 on remote opens RTE 1 etc but for later.

Make epg is stored either on USB or HDD not internal memory.

You can do ABM later but have you 2 cables to box and each tuner configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Right, I just did a fresh saorview scan and everything is fine except that TG4 is now showing on the channel listing as <n/a> with no programme info. When I go into the channel it is TG4 HD but the header shows it as DVB service. Any suggestions as to how I might get it to relist properly. Thanks mav.

Edit: got it sorted. It seems like the scan did not populate my saorview or favourites bouquets but I found it in last scanned bouquet.

Thanks for the help lads. I finally got my head around it.

I have this setup in one room and Sky Q in another room. When some channels are being viewed on the zgemma box they are causing the picture to break up on the Sky Q box - ITV2 & BBC News for example. Most channels don’t cause an issue. I also noticed the Sky Q picture breaking up while tuning the zgemma. Anyone come across this before?

• Advertisement

zac6 that is a totally different topic do a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys. Many thanks for previous help. My box is running quite well since updating to newer version software. Couple of ongoing issues: currently I've had problems with some channels missing from epg. Usually Dave ja vu, drama, cnn and a few others. Aside from that most Irish and UK channels with 7 day epg. Last couple of days I tried a few things to try and get full epg. Went to menu/setup/epg/settings. Disabled all epg options except openatv and got all my channels. Only hitch? Only had 6 days of Irish channels! Yesterday it was 5. Anyway then I enabled eit epg and got Irish channels more or less and lost UK 7 days. I also deselected some sources so could be that. Anyone have optimal settings for full 7 day epg for both UK and Irish? Thanks very much

OpenTV is only for the satellite channels. To update the Saorview EPG you need to select an Irish channel for a few seconds to top up the 7 days of data. You could also configure something like EPGrefresh to tune in a Saorview channel during the night. You can leave EIT enabled. I prefer crossEPG for satellites but make sure the openTV (Astra2) option in crossEPG is ticked.

AFAIK EIT is the now/next data. It sometimes catches last minute changes when a show runs late and tweaks your timers to suit. All assuming the broadcaster sends updated info. This doesn't seem to happen as often any more. I've missed a lot of shows on BBC in recent months when some sport or politics ran late.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Thanks Gerry. What's strange is that I was getting 7 day epg for all channels Irish and UK bar those few outliers. Now I have the outliers but have lost days on the Irish ones. Seems like one of the epg options was keeping it updated without having to select an Irish channel. I think I had cross epg before I updated box in December. Can I download the likes of epg refresh and cross epg from plugins? Thanks

Yes you can download both utilities from the plugins menu. They shouldn't have any bearing on the Saorview EPG as it is a separate system. It should fill itself automatically once you select a Saorview channel. What may have thrown you in the past was if you hadn't watched Saorview for a few days, the amount of data would dwindled. If you then switched to Saorview, you would suddenly have 7 days worth again. It can easily fool you that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

Hi Can anyone recommend a supplier who can supply this receiver with 2 satellite tuners and a saorview tuner with hdd with all the plugins already set up that would be suitable for a beginner, thanks

I used to recommend this UK supplier who did most of the basic setup for you. I think there are a few Irish suppliers but have no personal experience of them. Some I've seen mentioned are crazy expensive. No one can fully set up the box for you in advance. Your home network and local RTÉ mast will have to be configured by yourself. There is a wizard on first run to help you with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

I was a beginner 2 years ago-still learning to a large extent-but this site is invaluable for help.I bought 2 of these boxes from these people

As I recall I gave them my address location and they scanned everything-Sat and Terrestrial and they were pretty much Plug and Play when I got them home.There will be some basic tweaking to be done but not difficult....and loads of good info on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Agree with above. Satworld are reliable. Just if buying online make sure to ask they include a 3pin adapter as they can forget! You can opt to have it configured by them which will leave very little to set up after. Just your autotimers(series link alternative) and connect to your network or Wi-Fi.

You might pick one up 2nd hand on adverts too. If 2nd hand you would probably just need to rescan your saorview channels if they are not local to you.

While you may not want to have to set it up it has got a lot simpler if you use the wizard and it will stand to you to know how it works if you run into any issues down the line. They generally are fairly reliable but always good to know how they work under the hood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just got my h7s set up and was wondering how to make the navigation of channels a bit easier. 1. Do I have to manually delete all the multiple versions of channels such as all then various bbc 1s

2. Some channels are randomly under bskyb such as the channel 5 channels and itv4 (yet itv+1 is on freesat) can I move them to freesat or at least put all the channels I want from each provider in to a favourites folder?

Advertisement