Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

There is no storage option on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The above was for openVix however in ATV the exact wording may change but should be similar. It may under something like HDD setup. Have you rebooted the box after installing the HDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

Is there any way to install CrossEPG on a Zgemma (OpenVIX 6.3) without internet access? I'm looking to download something using my PC to a USB key and then install it on my standalone Zgemma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

6.3 is very old but if you can access here why not internet, download as an ipk put on usb etc, ie manage extensions. I'm working on ver 6.3 right now but do u need ver 6.3

this one is ver 8.6 im using 8.7 but have to go out for a bit could email it possibly

https://www.enigma2.net/plugin-crossepg-0-8-6/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

The ssd I was using wasn’t formatted so I formatted it fat32 and tried again. The zgemma is still not detecting it as in the storage option is not appearing on the menu. Also the box takes ages to boot up with the drive connected. I bought it from freesat.ie so I’ll see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I wonder if they will ask you to unscrew the top and see where those cables are connected to as wondering is the power is connected to wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone ever had anything like this happen their box - suddenly pretty much any button press on the remote either mutes or de-mutes and does nothing else. Clicking 'TV' works but MENU, INFO etc all don't. I can't even change channel with it. I'd like to try updating the OS but can't get into the menu to trigger a download.

Weirdly my TV remote, which I programmed to work with the H7s still allows me change channel but the box remote itself is pretty much useless.

I found one thread online describing my exact problem but they gave up and flashed a newer version. Thing is, if I can't get into the menu system is FTP updating my only option?

This is OpenVix.

EDIT: Tried hard reset using the back button and now it won't even boot - just hanging at the loading screen, no spinning circle or any activity. Nothing on the front panel indicating progress etc.

Post edited by chabsey on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Try this;

Unplug the box and leave it off for at least 10-15 mins.

Check your remote,it may have a short circut or a button stuck down, sending a signal constantly.

To check the remote'

Point your phone camera at the remote control ( front end ) and press any button, you should see the infra led lighting form the remote control on your phone camera.

Was the remote control working properly before you programmed your TV remote to change channel on the box

Hadn't had this problem myself and don't know if above will work, but give it a try.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

had you updated to the latest version of Openvix? And have you more than one image on the box? And even with nothing onscreen have you tried FTP and see if it works?

There is a recovery method but not yet.

• Advertisement

Hadn't updated in months so it's not that. Don't think I have more than one image on the box but I'm not sure. Tried FTP but I've forgotten the root password!

One thing you need to do with password write it down or use your name.

Does your box show in network ? enter box ip into browser and see if it connects as you can check virtual remote on right.

Does it have any message on the front? When you power up?

It now boots and I can sort of control it through my TV remote but it's very flaky. It does appear in the network but entering it into a browser does nothing, just hangs. I can see it connected in my router listing of clients so I know the IP is correct.

Edit: Just tried the ip again and now I'm in the OpenWebif interface.

Now it boots and appears normal when booted, just shows the time on the front. Changing channel using my TV is extremely frustrating though cause it appears to do nothing then suddenly flies through 8 or 10 channels.

I can see on the EPG when changing channels the flashing green icon that signifies an update being available.

Do you know box ip like 192.168..0.124 enter that on laptop browser it should bring up webif and into the functions.

Where were you storing your epg might be the issue?

Have you tried batteries in the remote and press at box.

Got in via webif, triggered a software update so we'll see if that fixes it. Thanks for replies.

Update complete - remote control issues still happening. Replaced the batteries in it, same issue.

OpenViX 6.3.002 (2023-01-13)

I never do updates only new images get flashed but check where your epg is going to is important

Not sure what that means, how do I check where the EPG is going?

Go into EPG - SETTINGS and where/what does it say?

• Advertisement

Good as thats okay as internal flash screws up the boxes.

Urgh....at this stage I give up. I tried using the image manager instead of the updater. Downloaded the latest image (all this using Webif as the controller). It got booted back into the stage where it says a back up was detected and did I want to restore. The remote wouldn't work even for that selection so I got passed it by using my TV's remote to select restore Back up. Then it just booted to the open vix screen and hung there.....I've triggered another image restoration through Webif. If that fails I'll consider dumping the box.

You sometimes find the backup might not be usable with new image as old stuff might be python 2 and new stuff python 3 but it should say what cant be used.

Did you try new batteries in remote and check its functions with camera .

Dont dump box.

Another day, more patience for this box. Tried brand new batteries, same issue. It's very strange, pretty much all buttons just mute / unmute....except the actual mute button which does nothing. Some of the other buttons, RADIO etc do kind of work but then you're stuck in an on screen menu you can't exit.

How do I check the functions of the remote with a camera? Must google that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Point the remote into the camera on your phone and see if the camera picks up light from the remote when you press buttons.

Yes I can see a flickering light. Interestingly the remote's range is now poorer than it was , I'm a little further from the box than the couch is and I think it would normally have worked from here. When I get closer it does 'work' in that it mutes / unmutes.

I read a thread that said it might be TV or something else interfering with the signal. Nothing that I know of has changed though. I tried moving the box forward (it's in a TV stand under the TV) about a foot - same problem.

Also possibly of note, I had occasionally in the days running up to this complete failure that the remote would occasionally be slow to respond and then would fly through the channels as if there'd been a delay.

How long have you had the box? ie is it under guarantee? Have you a few USB sticks? Do you know about the recovery function? I would not blame the remote. Did u install the HDD yourself?

Where are you roughly?

I have the H7S and the remote is not the best and has to aimed at the box , if it gets sluggish try webif control on laptop/pc and if it works as normal might point to remote issue.

I would also say to use a new image in a blank slot and dont use restore incase it is a bug and setup from scratch and note what settings you have on box when setting it up from scratch.

• Advertisement

Had it about a year or so I think, have a sat shop locally and the guy who runs it is decent so I can check with him if the remote is broken. I do have a 4gb USB stick but the box itself functions fine through WebIf....so I think it's something to do with the remote. The HDD is an external one.

Advertisement