Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

After you made your choice does it need green button to save?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Hey guys - thinking of buying the H7S soon as I want to move away from Sky.

Is the H7S still the best bang for buck box right now? I see others mentioned the AX HD61, and there's also the more expensive options like the Gigablue 4k.

Is it possible to use a single cable from the LNB for all of the satellite channels, and a single cable from the aerial for Saorview, while utilising several tuners for playback/recording flexibility? I am guessing I would need to change the hybrid LNB on my Sky dish to a unicable LNB, and split that cable to physically feed into the dual sat tuners on the H7S?

I saw someone mentioning that you can use a PS3 USB tuner, so if I also split the aerial cable and connected one feed to the H7S tuner and the other to the PS3 tuner connected to the H7S via USB, that would essentially give me a total of 2 x freesat tuners and 2 x Saorview tuners on the H7S right? Just trying to make sure the above mentioned 2 x cables would be able to manage that.

Basically, I am considering just using the existing twin coax cable that Sky installed for everything - sat & aerial. It would mean I don't have to drill more holes and run more cables.

Post edited by eric90000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Unicable LNB is correct single cable split as needed. The gigablue blue can come with an FBC tuner which can do 8 channels per tuner. It's about 240 on amazon.de you need to buy the dual terrestrial tuner separately too adds another 40 quid to the price. I've been debating upgrade to it from my h7s. Second cable can be used for your standard aerial and be split.

I've no regret dropping pay tv either saying took 5 calls to VM to stop billing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a unicable LNB will be ideal then, as I can use the one cable for sat, and the other cable for aerial.

I had seen about the FBC tuners on the Gigablue, seems like a huge advantage over the H7S. Obviously it's quite a bit more expensive, however you would ultimately end up with a single box solution with basically no restrictions in terms of viewing/recording channels simultaneously on both Freesat & Saorview. Do you know if the Gigablue can handle streaming channels around the house - I assume it would be using Kodi?

Yep, totally agree about ditching pay tv. We rarely used the Sky channels anyway. I got them to agree to a 10 euro per month deal for basic channels for the moment, which will give me time to sort my own solution before fully cancelling.

• Advertisement

I think you can stream around the house from the gigablue but wouldn't be 100%. One think to note the terrestrial plugin seems to be out of stock in most locations I looked amazon.de show it as available but can be sure its the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

check out client mode for streaming around the house

I'm using it on a h7s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

You can stream from the Gigablue, I have that setup using 2 methods.

I have Openvix on the Gigablue and picked up a basic Zgemma as well for the family room which is set to Client mode to the Gigablue instead of using its built in tuner.

Other way is using a built in IPTV app on a Smart TV to access the Gigablue. Used Webif to access the web interface of the Gigablue and went to the EPG. There is a an icon by each bouquet that allows you to download a M3U file with all the channels in it, then uploaded it to the TV's.

Both methods have a few seconds lag to the main box (IPTV app more than Openvix client mode).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Also , in Kodi under PVR plugins , there is the "Enigma2client".

With that plug in in kodi you can enter the iP address and password of your enigma 2 box and it will stream from the box using webif.

Very handy if you have firesticks to plug in to other TVs around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Anyone else having issues installing plugins? I'm using Pure2, Estuary skin. Keeps giving an error that the plugin could not be downloaded. Network connection is fine and everything up to date.

• Advertisement

Sometimes plugins from feeds dont work if image is too old and feeds are not seen

Newer images and plugins might be on Python 3 and not suitable for older images.

People who make plugins and other stuff have to keep it up to date to continue to work.

Sometimes skins stop things from working?

What's the best way to pick up recording from the zgemma to an android device

Just tried mx player and it works ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

openwebif?

put the IP of the box into a browser on your device

Cheers that does it too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Does the Zgemma H7 have aerial in, my Feguson Ariva 253 just died on me, my tv not Soarview so this box done the job for RTE and Sat channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭gipi

It doesn't have a built-in aerial, but you can connect an aerial to the zGemma box for Saorview channels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Sorry lost , no aerial socket but can connect one? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Zgemma H7S has connections for 2x Satellite and 1x terrestrial (Saorview)

Post edited by Gerry Wicklow on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi all, I have bought a H7s but I am a complete newbie looking to get the most out of the box.

I have a fire stick for IPTV but I am wondering can I have IPTV on the H7s?

I have an indoor aerial for Saorview which is ok but I plan to upgrade to an outdoor aerial something like below:

I’m also looking to run two coaxials from this aerial for two different tvs in different rooms, so is there a splitter I can get for that or can I get an aerial with a double port?

I also have a twin coaxial (two coaxials running together installed by sky), from the sky dish which has 4 ports on the LNB (2 spare) going to the back of the H7s so that I can record a channel and watch another.

Should I have the H7 connected to the internet for any reason- I presume I would need it connected to get the IPTV correct? I have an ethernet available for that.

Is there anything else I could do to maximise the H7?

Thanks all!

• Advertisement

Yes you can use a splitter for Saorview as i have 1 feed in room into splitter one side to tv and other side to box.

Ahh i see 1 feed into house and splitter then to send feed to both rooms.

You mention 2 rooms as i would use 1 feed to each room and split it there for tv and box?

Outdoor aerials are not one does all all as need to match up to area you want to use it in.

Yes a cable lan feed is better for many things.

Do you have a HDD for recording as would be needed for storage for epg

Yeah I have a HDD in the back of the box and have recorded on the box before.

So the best thing to do would be to bring the coaxial into the attic and then split it there- one feed to H7 box in the living room, one to the from room tv, one to the bedroom?

Also yeah I plan on going to that sat shop and ordering the correct aerial for my area.

One thing I’d like to figure out is how to use KODI or IPTV on the box.

I dont use either as i like my sats.

Yes split in attic to each room

You must be nearly ready for a rest with all that hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I’ve tried to get iptv working on the this box but it struggles. Much smoother on an android box or fire stick. Haven’t tried kodi on it as I have all the apps for series and movies on the android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭gipi

@scoop64 apologies, I misread your question. I thought you were asking if the box had an aerial built-in, not an "aerial in" connection.

Blame it on the Christmas sherry ☺️

I see Gerry Wicklow has answered your question more accurately than I did!

Thanks for the heads up dope tech.

Ive messed about with it for a couple of hours last night and re flashed it to the latest open vix image.

Just before I went to bed I found out how to change to different skins that are already pre loaded on the box!

Great craic these these things😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They should come with a health warning for those of a techie persuasion, tinkering with Enigma2 can be addictive 🤣

Absolutely!!

I may be imaging this (although the missus and kids think so too) but the picture looks much better than it did once I done the open box update to the latest.

Also changing from blueHD to you vix blue is a big step up IMO.

• Advertisement

I went to update image to latest and would not work saying no space left hmm , still have storage listed but no size?

Externally powered usb is not seen and wondering if it got failed as last time i went to check in on it , it failed .

Box has been powered off at rear and on and usb is heard spinning up.

Advertisement