Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Looks like
    Berberis darwinii to me

100%

(until proved wrong)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Can anyone identify this - I presume its a grass of some sort?

And is it dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭rje66

thejaguar wrote: »
    Can anyone identify this - I presume its a grass of some sort?

And is it dead?

I'm guessing miscanthus and not dead. Pull away the straw and new shoots will be soon emerging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭standardg60

100%

(until proved wrong)

Wood doesn't look yellow enough to me, but would need to see a better pic.

Olearia macrodonta perhaps

Edit, just zoomed in there and can see the yellow flower buds, darwinii it is.

Wood doesn't look yellow enough to me, but would need to see a better pic.

Olearia macrodonta perhaps

Edit, just zoomed in there and can see the yellow flower buds, darwinii it is.
    Olearia did cross my mind but when you compare the leaf size with the head of the nail I couldn't think of one with leaves that small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'll try getting better pictures of it next time I'm on my looped walk. Been admiring it for a few weeks and would love to plant some for front of our garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It is berberis alright I think. It is a nightmare if planted where you are hand weeding as the leaves are so thorny, even when almost fully rotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Hello all,

I'm almost a complete novice regarding plants, gardening etc.

Can someone please identify the bushes, tree and plant in the attached images?

Do I need to cut back the long spindly things on the plant?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Dutch Roll wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm almost a complete novice regarding plants, gardening etc.

Can someone please identify the bushes, tree and plant in the attached images?

Do I need to cut back the long spindly things on the plant?

Cheers.

I'm going to guess that 1. is heather
    2. is birch
    and 3. is lavender

I think lavender is usually trimmed back a bit after the flowering finishes so I would cut off the long spindly things on the plant back to where there is some healthy new growth.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

macraignil wrote: »
    Happy gardening!

Great thank you. I guessed the first was heather, I should have backed myself! I have a large lawn that I will be asking for advice about elsewhere on this forum. The start of a long journey I think.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Next year cut the flowering stems plus a bit of the new growth off the lavender just to keep it compact, otherwise you will end up with the monster that I have inherited, its nearly 12 ft across with a large empty bit in the middle that is just stems radiating out. Its gorgeous in the summer, in a sprawling sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Hi all.
    Two trees I'm looking to identify.
    Is the first just a cherry blossom?

Hi all.
    Two trees I'm looking to identify.
    Is the first just a cherry blossom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭highdef

Hard to tell at such a difference. Can you get a close up photo of the flowers?

Second one looks to be a magnolia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could the first be a pear?

Definitely a magnolia anyway, fairly sure the first is amelanchier, given the time of year

Definitely a magnolia anyway, fairly sure the first is amelanchier, given the time of year

Our cherries are always a week or more later than everyone elses and they are just showing bud colour now so I wouldn't rule cherry out. Also wrong shape to my mind for amelanchier right shape for cherry.

I've planted a lot in the past and they were nearly always multi stemmed and far more upright. But I can see you point.

I've planted a lot in the past and they were nearly always multi stemmed and far more upright. But I can see you point.

Sometimes i prefer the debate to the actual identification!

Macgraignil loves his amelanchiers, i'm sure he'll be along soon with his two cents :p

• Advertisement

Just realised you can zoom in on the picture :o now it looks like an amelanchier.

What I look for is that slight lack of density when you look through the flowers. There's like a bit of air space you can see through but with cherries the blossom are often far denser with no chance of seeing through them - if that makes any sense.

Just realised you can zoom in on the picture :o now it looks like an amelanchier.

What I look for is that slight lack of density when you look through the flowers. There's like a bit of air space you can see through but with cherries the blossom are often far denser with no chance of seeing through them - if that makes any sense.

Perfect sense, that's exactly what i saw when i zoomed in, amelanchier flowers are much looser, giving more of a 'spidery' effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Any idea what this is please? Hundreds have popped up in a school vegetable patch. Is it a weed or a young vegetable? I didn't see when they were planting and they didn't label anything unfortunately.

I'll stick my neck out and say that looks a bit radish like, but that could also mean its a weed, plenty of members of the radish family are weeds.

Is the soil new or always been cultivated on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'll stick my neck out and say that looks a bit radish like, but that could also mean its a weed, plenty of members of the radish family are weeds.

Is the soil new or always been cultivated on site?

New. I think it was put in last year in a geodome. I've grown radishes before and could see the red of the root near the soil. I can't see that on these. There are so many of them that I don't think it was something we planted. They have taken over the beds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It does look like some kind of brassicacea, though... Also, keep in mind that there are white variety of radishes, too. Having said that, it could very easily be weeds.

Nipplewort for me.
    You're right if there's that many it usually means it wasn't planted.
    Not the worst weed, just pull them before they flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sometimes i prefer the debate to the actual identification!

Macgraignil loves his amelanchiers, i'm sure he'll be along soon with his two cents :p

Amelanchiers here are only just about to flower but then being on the north side of a hill it is not unusual to be a bit behind some other gardens so it is quite possible to be the right time for amelanchier flowers in a warmer more sheltered garden. Looks like them anyway but I can't zoom in enough on the flowers to be able to rule out cherry and there is a winter flowering cherry in the garden here flowering currently so I don't think the flowering time can rule out a variety of cherry either. If I had to guess I'd say they are amelanchier but I'm not 100% positive they are not cherry at the same time and would need to see how the leaves develop and possibly even taste the fruit to be sure they are one or the other.

macraignil wrote: »
    Amelanchiers here are only just about to flower but then being on the north side of a hill it is not unusual to be a bit behind some other gardens so it is quite possible to be the right time for amelanchier flowers in a warmer more sheltered garden. Looks like them anyway but I can't zoom in enough on the flowers to be able to rule out cherry and there is a winter flowering cherry in the garden here flowering currently so I don't think the flowering time can rule out a variety of cherry either. If I had to guess I'd say they are amelanchier but I'm not 100% positive they are not cherry at the same time and would need to see how the leaves develop and possibly even taste the fruit to be sure they are one or the other.

Ah get off the fence:D

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. I'll try get some closer photos of the flower/leaves in the morning!

Advertisement