Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

macraignil wrote: »
    Amelanchiers here are only just about to flower but then being on the north side of a hill it is not unusual to be a bit behind some other gardens so it is quite possible to be the right time for amelanchier flowers in a warmer more sheltered garden. Looks like them anyway but I can't zoom in enough on the flowers to be able to rule out cherry and there is a winter flowering cherry in the garden here flowering currently so I don't think the flowering time can rule out a variety of cherry either. If I had to guess I'd say they are amelanchier but I'm not 100% positive they are not cherry at the same time and would need to see how the leaves develop and possibly even taste the fruit to be sure they are one or the other.

I am looking out at an amelanchier in full flower here in Dublin, so timing is right. The flower of the tree in the photo, however, looks a lot fluffier/puffier with bigger flowers, rather than the finer and smaller flowers of the amelanchier [that I am looking at. - added for clarity!]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

randomguy wrote: »
    I am looking out at an amelanchier in full flower here in Dublin, so timing is right. The flower of the tree in the photo, however, looks a lot fluffier/puffier with bigger flowers, rather than the finer and smaller flowers of the amelanchier.

There are different forms of Amelanchier. Amelanchier Ballerina would be one with bigger denser flowers.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Few closer photos.
    Amelanchier?

That seals it 100% Amelanchier

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Can anyone help me. This is the common wild rose you see growing all over the various rural areas of Ireland but I want it's name, please.

DSCN9712-625px-72dpi1.jpg

full-moon-sets-over-wild-irish-roses-in-county-clare-james-truett.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I wonder if it's Dorothy Perkins? My grandparents had one growing over a stable and always called it that. The photo is quite dark so the flowers on your rose may be more pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

wildwillow wrote: »
    I wonder if it's Dorothy Perkins? My grandparents had one growing over a stable and always called it that. The photo is quite dark so the flowers on your rose may be more pink.
    If its a naturally wild plant it wouldn't have Dorothy Perkins in its name. Rosa D P, would be a cultivar, so an example would be Rosa canina ( a wild rose) 'Dorothy Perkins' would be cultivar of a wild rose.

Try starting with Rosa banksiae 'Rosea' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

Try starting with Rosa banksiae 'Rosea' ?

Or they could just read the article they took the pic from:rolleyes:

Or they could just read the article they took the pic from:rolleyes:

The article is about a song called wild Irish rose, no mention of the specific breed but fair play I'm sure your little passive aggressive remark must have alleviated some of the anger in your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I believe that is not really a wild rose, but a lost specimen of a cultivated variety.
    Your typical wild rose is the dog-rose, much paler pink and single flower, but also very fragrant.

If you ever see one in the hedgerows, like you have in the pics, take some cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with above, they root very easily from cuttings.

The article is about a song called wild Irish rose, no mention of the specific breed but fair play I'm sure your little passive aggressive remark must have alleviated some of the anger in your life

And you couldn't Google 'wild irish rose' or the artist?

It literally took me ten seconds to find all the info you need, so maybe you can understand my scepticism of the bona fides of your query

https://www.jamesatruett.com/irish-sunrises/wild-irish-roses-at-sunrise-in-the-county-clare-countryside/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just to say i clicked on the link and this is in third paragraph:

"The roses in this image are one of variety of native and introduced species blooming in Ireland from June to August. These are known as the Rose Excelsa, found in hedgerows and along roadsides after they escaped from private gardens where they originally were cultivated when wealthy landowners traveled the world in search of new ornaments."

Cuttings work really well with these roses but here's some links

https://clarenbridgegardencentre.ie/online-garden-shop/roses-page-2/rambling-rose-excelsa/
    https://www.keanesgardencentre.ie/products/climbing-rose-excelsa
    https://johnstowngardencentre.ie/super-excelsa-c-5-5.html

Thanks so much to the rest of you for your help I really appreciate it.

I actually tried growing some of it from cuttings before but I just have fecked up what I tried online.

I tried

1. Cutting about 5/6 inch pieces
    2. Paired off the thorns and leaves
    3. Paired the base and stuck it in water and then into rooting powder
    4. Then into pots with fresh peat

But they didn't take :( I wonder if it's cause I only did it in August and it was too late in the season do you all think?

What is the prime time to try it? I've seen some bits growing locally would it be too early take cuttings now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I randomly took some cuttings of three different roses last summer, small cuttings - one was a 'wild' rose that I just got one piece about 15 inches long that I got about 5 cuttings from and I think almost all took. I used a method that I learned as a kid from my mother and that was what she used call 'an Irishman's heel'. The heel is the joint between the sprig and the branch. Pull the sprig downwards so they break away with that kind of lump on the end. Trim off any excess long string of bark that might come with it, but don't cut the heel. Trim off most of the big leaves. Rooting powder or not, as you wish, pop into a pot and put a plastic bag over till you can see they have taken (ie, there is a little bit of perky growth or it just 'looks alive' :D), then you can uncover it and leave it for the winter. I didn't have a cold frame so they were just sitting in a slightly sheltered spot. Write on the pot what it is!!

I also took a couple of very small cuttings of the one you are looking for, from a very tiny bush I was given, that was in turn grown from a cutting. Trouble is I did not write on the pots early enough and now I have a load of roses that could be any of three. The original cutting, now two years old, is now a respectable bush in the garden.

Edit: reading your method again, I don't know why they didn't take but, maybe the stem was too old. Maybe you should not have taken all the leaves off, leave the smaller ones but cut out the growing tip. I find roses prefer some soil in the mix, I use compost with John Innes in it, which is just a soil and compost mix. Don't bother with the thorns, you will just damage the bark.

For the cuttings, any reasonable garden soil will do. Use square pots, put 4 cuttings in, each butted up against a corner. Should get most taking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

self seeded in the garden. don't think it's a laurel, could be a viburnum according to a plant finder app?

549188.jpg

self seeded in the garden. don't think it's a laurel, could be a viburnum according to a plant finder app?

549188.jpg

Yep, Viburnum tinus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help us with this mystery...

549375.jpg

Suburban garden in Dublin 15. We don't think we planned this last year and have no idea what it is :confused:

Thanks,
    BigAl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Peony.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

These keep on growing and coming back no matter what I do.

What is it and how do I get rid please?

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

These keep on growing and coming back no matter what I do.

What is it and how do I get rid please?

Dubal

This is Winter Heliotrope, pest of pests. It will regrow from fragments of roots, exceptionally difficult to remove. Do not mow, cut or dig.
    However, it does respond (ie dies back) to glyphosate. You need to spray every single leaf. Almost certainly will need to hit it again 8 weeks later. On the plus side it doesn't look like a huge patch; I have seen it cover up to an acre. A bit of willpower and Roundup should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

This is Winter Heliotrope, pest of pests. It will regrow from fragments of roots, exceptionally difficult to remove. Do not mow, cut or dig.
    However, it does respond (ie dies back) to glyphosate. You need to spray every single leaf. Almost certainly will need to hit it again 8 weeks later. On the plus side it doesn't look like a huge patch; I have seen it cover up to an acre. A bit of willpower and Roundup should do it.

I was just about to post a picture of the same thing - if I use glyphosate do I need to be careful about surrounding plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It will kill any plant it touches. Either use a cover over nozzle to control spray or cover adjacent plants while spraying. Choose a calm day.

I have used newspaper which I bin, or old fleece. You need to wash it for reuse, ie just dip into water and rinse and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

I have a patch of this on a south facing embankment in my back garden and have been leaving it as I thought it looked pretty but I shall be treating it to a meal of Roundup soon after reading this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/09/spray-pray-is-roundup-carcinogenic-monsanto-farmers-suing

Please think twice before using Roundup. It does so much damage to the environment and ecosystems - not to mention the danger to your own health.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could have picked a less equivocal link to make that claim. the jury is still very much out on the dangers to human health.

i hate the stuff, FWIW. but the evidence does not seem to be there yet that it's as bad as some claim to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

My husband bought this plant in Lidl about 3 years ago. It didn’t flower that year and soon after something fell against it and semi-broke the stem. He’s lovingly nursed it back to health on a couple of occasions and this year we finally found out what it’s flower looks like. Can anyone identify please? Is it a peony?

Advertisement