Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

lottpaul wrote: »
    The second plant looks like Euphorbia Mellifera or similar and it can also be cut back very hard but it carries a huge warning - as do all euphorbias - the milky sap, which pours out - can burn skin very easily, especially in sunlight and is very dangerous to have near eyes, mouth etc so wear gloves and long sleeves, don't touch your face and dispose of the cuttings where no child will pick them up. The plant itself will ooze for a while and you should be wary of it until the cuts heal over.
    Right so, sorted the trimming/pruning as per above precautions. Interestingly the weeping sap was a creamy light blue colour, needless to say the pruned branches have been hidden away.

2nd questions as per pic attached, I pruned it right back to leave just a few shoots, should have asked that course of action beforehand but presume it will just grown back and I can maintain as it grows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

rje66 wrote: »
    Poss Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan', a cherry blossom. Cherry blossoms are great choices in that they have great flowers and later in season great autumn colour some will have attractive bark as well.

Thanks for that. How old would you think that tree in the photos is? Would be the perfect size for my small garden but from a bit of googling it looks like it gets a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

That looks 5 or 6 years old. Cherries are lovely but do grow big, and also have extensive ground-level root systems that can break paths and wreck lawnmower blades. A hawthorn, with red or white flowers might be a better choice. Not such pretty autumn colour, but nice overall shape, good flowers, fruit for the birds, and compact size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

tromtipp wrote: »
    That looks 5 or 6 years old. Cherries are lovely but do grow big, and also have extensive ground-level root systems that can break paths and wreck lawnmower blades. A hawthorn, with red or white flowers might be a better choice. Not such pretty autumn colour, but nice overall shape, good flowers, fruit for the birds, and compact size.

Great advice thanks. I wouldn't want a tree with significant root growth that might wreck our new drive.
    Any other small colourful trees I should look into?
    I like some of the Acers like the Japanese but the area I'd be planting would be too exposed and windy for them the thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Crab apple would give you blossom and fruit, some have nice autumn foliage. You can either use the fruit for jelly or leave them for the birds - or both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭macraignil

Brego888 wrote: »
    Great advice thanks. I wouldn't want a tree with significant root growth that might wreck our new drive.
    Any other small colourful trees I should look into?
    I like some of the Acers like the Japanese but the area I'd be planting would be too exposed and windy for them the thrive.

June berry is also a nice small tree that might be an option.

I've been trying to get an Amelanchier for the last 12 months, just not prepared to pay the €60 or €70 that seems to be the price - where they are available, everywhere has been out of stock since the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

Fern Bench wrote: »
    I sowed seeds that looked exactly like that just the other day. Orlaya Grandiflora. Similar to Angelica

Thanks very much, Fern Bench. I thought that my seedlings' true leaves were a bit ferny for angelica. Orlaya is stunning, I'll definitely plant a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

looksee wrote: »
    I've been trying to get an Amelanchier for the last 12 months, just not prepared to pay the €60 or €70 that seems to be the price - where they are available, everywhere has been out of stock since the Autumn.

There's a massive one of them growing semi-wild near me South Dublin. Would you be able to take a cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

We moved into our house three years ago, and there is a single Amelanchier (Juneberry) in the back garden. We love it - lovely foliage, lovely flowers, ever-changing, and a nice size for a suburban garden. Only downside is very little interest in winter. (It was there when we moved in, so I have no advice as to where to get one).

• Advertisement

There's a massive one of them growing semi-wild near me South Dublin. Would you be able to take a cutting?

Thank you for that, but I am way down south of the country. Its not the right time of year for cuttings either. If I hang on I am sure I will get a younger one at a reasonable price from Future Forests or the like when things get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Thank you for that, but I am way down south of the country. Its not the right time of year for cuttings either. If I hang on I am sure I will get a younger one at a reasonable price from Future Forests or the like when things get back to normal.

I got one in Lidl about 3 weeks ago. It’s a small plant. It was part of their plants for wildlife promotion. There may be one left hanging around in your local store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you are near the north Cork area I have a few amelanchier cuttings already stuck in the ground from a few months back and if they take as well as the ones I propagated in previous years I can dig one up for you in the autumn if you want it. I found they do very well from cuttings and some of the ones I propagated are bigger than the original ones I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Bought a house last year and we have this all over the garden boundaries and it's growing in random patches. Horrible prickly stuff but we're not sure of what it is? Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

mojesius wrote: »
    Bought a house last year and we have this all over the garden boundaries and it's growing in random patches. Horrible prickly stuff but we're not sure of what it is? Thank you :)

Gorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Hard to tell from photo but probably a variety of gorse. Otherwise, maybe a berberis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

^^^

Not country people are you :D < aimed at mojesius not the posters that got there before me.

Its gorse or furze as some call it.

When gorse is out of bloom, kissing is out of season

Wake me up when it's all over.

^^^

Not country people are you :D < aimed at mojesius not the posters that got there before me.

Its gorse or furze as some call it.

When gorse is out of bloom, kissing is out of season

Haha, no I'll admit I'm a blow-in just moved and know feck all about gardening or plants. Husband is out deweeding and didn't know what it was (he is from the country originally so sounds like he should know :D).

I'll go off and research gorse now, it's taking over here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It will be a hard task to get rid of it. Probably best to dig out as much as possible and then treat carefully with a brushwood weedkiller. You need to keep an eye on it re-establishing itself.

Farmers used to burn vast tracts of it around this time of year, sometimes causing serious fires and destroying the countryside.

I think that may be illegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wildwillow wrote: »

Farmers used to burn vast tracts of it around this time of year, sometimes causing serious fires and destroying the countryside.

It is illegal, and they're still doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭MacDanger

loyatemu wrote: »
    It is illegal, and they're still doing it.

Only illegal from Mar-Aug according to this:

https://iwt.ie/prohibition-burning-vegetation/

As an aside, we'd have known them as "whins" rather than gorse where I'm from

wildwillow wrote: »
    It will be a hard task to get rid of it. Probably best to dig out as much as possible and then treat carefully with a brushwood weedkiller. You need to keep an eye on it re-establishing itself.

Thank you for the advice. Yeah we looked into it more and found that this was the case. To the back of us and one side is a farmer's field and it's growing from there, among hedges and plants. It's a huge area with a built up bank so we are just going to leave what's already there and make sure it doesn't encroach further into our garden. However, we spotted some sprouting at the front of the garden and in front of fencing so will tackle that as it's less established. Pesky stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Can anybody tell me what the things are growing on the trunk. I assume it’s a sort of fungus but am unsure? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wild guess Birch Polypore Bracket Fungus.

Assuming its an old birch stump and the fungus itself has died.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's this...

weed5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

fryup wrote: »
    what's this...

weed5.jpg

Osteospermum??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Similar leaves??

Can someone please identify this hedging? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like
    Berberis darwinii to me

Advertisement