Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

They're a Lidl confused..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

Hi, as I was sorting my seeds I found some unlabeled flower seeds. Any ideas? 9vDxLjr

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could be carrot seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Don't think carrot. Could be calendula. Need to know the size.

• Advertisement

They are 4-8 mm long. I took a new picture. https://ibb.co/r3XDz8V

My first thought was calendula but I think it is more curly. Agreed the size would help.

Ah yes, that's too big for carrot seed. Come to think of it they look a bit like angelica. They do look very familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Will this be the game for 2021. Guess the seed then the seedlings then the plant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'm pretty sure it is a flower seed, looks very familiar alright but just can't place it, could certainly be angelica. Plant them and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Looks like nasturtium to me.

Thanks for your replies. The seeds are too flat for nasturtium. I have a feeling it could be angelica. I'll start propagating them with my next batch this weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be celery or parsley?

Most likely it is some kind of flower

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi all

any idea what this is? I have a bit of a patch gone wild and its growing in it. Is it a problem?

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭macraignil

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi all

any idea what this is? I have a bit of a patch gone wild and its growing in it. Is it a problem?

Frogeye

Is it scot's broom? They have nice flowers in the spring and they can self seed.

Yes, broom, nice plant if short lived and can be a bit of a weed, but if its not doing any harm you could leave it, though it should be pruned after flowering, they can get straggly. They can be poisonous to dogs and cats - and humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, broom, nice plant if short lived and can be a bit of a weed, but if its not doing any harm you could leave it, though it should be pruned after flowering, they can get straggly. They can be poisonous to dogs and cats - and humans.

I might leave it so. The area it is in is supposed to be a wild area so best to leave it off.

Thanks

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This chilli is in a neighbors polytunnel. It's a very large plant, started from a seedling I gave him that came from a pack of Jalapeno seeds. Doesn't seem to be a Jalapeno, odd shape actually and color. Other plants from the same seed pack were Jalapenos, the only complaint I had about them is that the fruit were sterile - none of the seeds I saved sprouted the following year.
    Thanks.

Any ideas? Leaning towards some kind of Habanero but doesn't really look all that much like one, other than the color. They're spicy not overwhelmingly hot.

IMG-20210227-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210227-WA0001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Can anyone tell me what this tree is?
    Love the colours.
    Photos are from October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭rje66

Brego888 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this tree is?
    Love the colours.
    Photos are from October.
    Poss Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan', a cherry blossom. Cherry blossoms are great choices in that they have great flowers and later in season great autumn colour some will have attractive bark as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Good morning boys n girls,

Had a go at the garden clear out like many of us did here in 2020 and now aiming to overseed the lawn etc.

Theres 2 plants in the garden that are a bit unruly at the moment and before I "prune them" perhaps one you fine folk can let me know what they are and type of pruning maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The first two are Fatsia Japonica and you can prune it to suit it's location etc. They are a lot tougher than they appear.
    The second plant looks like Euphorbia Mellifera or similar and it can also be cut back very hard but it carries a huge warning - as do all euphorbias - the milky sap, which pours out - can burn skin very easily, especially in sunlight and is very dangerous to have near eyes, mouth etc so wear gloves and long sleeves, don't touch your face and dispose of the cuttings where no child will pick them up. The plant itself will ooze for a while and you should be wary of it until the cuts heal over.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

lottpaul wrote: »
    The first two are Fatsia Japonica and you can prune it to suit it's location etc. They are a lot tougher than they appear.
    The second plant looks like Euphorbia Mellifera or similar and it can also be cut back very hard but it carries a huge warning - as do all euphorbias - the milky sap, which pours out - can burn skin very easily, especially in sunlight and is very dangerous to have near eyes, mouth etc so wear gloves and long sleeves, don't touch your face and dispose of the cuttings where no child will pick them up. The plant itself will ooze for a while and you should be wary of it until the cuts heal over.

Your the man!!! Many thanks

I thought the second one to be oleander, but I might be mistaken. The first is definitely fatsia japonica, beautiful and lush plant to have in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I thought the second one to be oleander, but I might be mistaken. The first is definitely fatsia japonica, beautiful and lush plant to have in the garden.

You might be right - I just thought the smaller flowers were more typical of euphorbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You might be right - I just thought the smaller flowers were more typical of euphorbia.

Don't worry its a euphorbia. flended12 will know from the honey scent when its in full flower.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I'm not sure if it's oleander though. Normally you would now still see the seedpods with 'fluff' inside. The flower buds wouldn't be noticeable yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm not sure if it's oleander though. Normally you would now still see the seedpods with 'fluff' inside. The flower buds wouldn't be noticeable yet.

I've only got to go outside and look at our Euphorbia Mellifera to see its the same. The stem is also a give away for me all those old leaf scars are also fairly diagnostic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

pat2167 wrote: »
    Hi, as I was sorting my seeds I found some unlabeled flower seeds. Any ideas? 9vDxLjr

I sowed seeds that looked exactly like that just the other day. Orlaya Grandiflora. Similar to Angelica

Advertisement