Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Looking at The Continental's versus mine, and having looked at others which I have growing in different spots, I think they are a different variety. Mine are pale, delicate, antisocial and in thick bunches (although that depends on where the seed lands) and don't establish except in locations where there is shade for at least 60% of the day; but most where there is continuous shade.

Hs appears to be promenant, singular and well formed, but I have never seen that redish tint on the flower on mine, even in a sunny spot. So yes, I'd guess that there are many varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There is the similar and related Arum italicum which has a flower which is almost white but the leaves have distinct markings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_italicum

By Consultaplantas - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49180306

Not my picture this time attribution above.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh I'd forgotten, I have one of those in a very obscure bit of garden, must check and see is it in flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

What are these little things and how do I kill it? It has taken over completely in sections under a new hedge.

Tis a Liverwort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchantia_polymorpha

Not really something you get rid, can be sprayed off and baking soda affects it as does vinegar but it grows where it is damp and its the cause you need to deal with not the Liverwort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

nota plant but a boundary bush that is separating and will probably grow well in the coming months.

this was planted last Sept and had almost doubled in size.

looking to know what is the best thing to do with it in order to thicken it out - any advice would be most welcome

Cut about a quarter to a third off the top, and lightly shave the sides as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I love them, I have a pic of those miniature pre-historical palm trees as a wallpaper on my phone. I think they're amazing, up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Variegated Griselinia so any reverted fully green shoots should be removed or they'll take over, or just accept that scenario.

Apart from that let it grow, it's the growing season so leave it be. In the autumn trim in an upside down V shape, trimming each stem so it supports it's own weight and doesn't droop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So

have another one for ye, the garden is well planted with green leaves plants, just wondering what this is and if there's any chance of flowers?

The one closest in the pic, thanks

And can anyone tell me how to get the pic into the post??

Depends on your device. On a PC I just put the image somewhere handy then drag it into the Leave a Comment box.

Just opened your post in a new window. Clicked on the pic then when the picture opened dragged it to the Leave a Comment box.

Foreground looks like some form of Bergina btw. In the distance you have some foxgloves which should flower soon.

Yeah the foxgloves are near flowering, there's also roses and the end and a plant that looks like a thistle, don't remember the name but I do love it.

Should be flowers on that bergina so.

Should I do anything with them? They are in a raised brick bed.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/bergenia

Scroll down to see some of the different forms. Basically a nice green leaf even during winter with spring flowers. iirc the leaves are often used by flower arrangers. Not really much to do to them.

Grows well up against a North wall here - gets no sun at all but doesn't care.

Bergenias need no fuss, I like them, flowers in the winter when there is little else. Occasionally you can pull off a straggly branch that looks messy, but very self-sufficient. Have you fed your plant? They don't need it, you seem to have a lot of very lush, upright growth, they are usually more prostrate than that, and should have a few flowers at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭jackboy

Another wild one to identify

Is it red rattle? Not absolutely sure about it.

Isn't that something like what all the wild flower meadow growers are trying to grow? Think its Common Lousewort a semi-parasite.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedicularis_sylvatica

But could be red rattle which is the same genus.

Oh, just checked - rattle and lousewart are the same thing.

What do we reckon this is... it has grown in two spots in my turning circle and I don't have a similar example growing in that area. It looks like a Prunus/cherry blossom to me, but I'm stuck trying to work out where from. Do those spread by seed often? Both examples are very leggy and spindly, one is easily topping 10ft after 3 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say cherry, going by the leaves - smell the flowers, they should have a faint cherry aroma underneath the flowery smell. If you have blue jays around, they could have "sown" it - they tend to bury seeds and acorns but they then forget where.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes it's a cherry alright, is there a tree in the locality, the roots can travel further than you might think and throw up a sucker.

There's a red-leaf cherry beside it, maybe Prunus Royal Burgundy, and possibly another variety of cherry close by - except it's grafted and it's dissimilar in nature as the branches of this grafted tree are whispy and unlike these new growths. I wonder what stock it's grafted onto? I'll have a look over the weekend.

No, no Jays here that I have seen. 👍️

• Advertisement

Advertisement