Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

The Guvnor wrote: »
    $1 but if we look at it sensibly here :D:rolleyes::D it hit 45 cents market took a dump it has now settled at 39 this am.

I think it will retest 45 soon but 39 to 45 does not excite me.

I bought at 14 sold at 18 and watched it go to 45 so my advice ain't all that lol.

I held off. Even though I'd be up 20% or whatever this morning. I just couldn't bring myself to encourage that trash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Safemoon has done a 13x since I bought it.
    It's gone bananas.

Surely the arse has to fall out of it soon.

I'm happy to hlod everything else I have, but Safemoon is the biggest Ponzi and I don't want to all the chairs to be gone when the music stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Dades wrote: »
    Safemoon has done a 13x since I bought it.
    It's gone bananas.

Surely the arse has to fall out of it soon.

I'm happy to hlod everything else I have, but Safemoon is the biggest Ponzi and I don't want to all the chairs to be gone when the music stops!

I got in early on safemoon and when 370 usd turned into 2k I pulled out. If I left it I’d have made about 13k at this stage. Im new to crypto and don’t feel bad about it.
    Kind of annoying that I redistributed the funds into “good projects” that have gone down in price since.
    I think if I do take another punt on a sh*tcoin in future I’ll leave some in it in case it keeps on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    I got in early on safemoon and when 370 usd turned into 2k I pulled out. If I left it I’d have made about 13k at this stage. Im new to crypto and don’t feel bad about it.
    Kind of annoying that I redistributed the funds into “good projects” that have gone down in price since.
    I think if I do take another punt on a sh*tcoin in future I’ll leave some in it in case it keeps on going.

That's why you should always start by selling a small amount first, average your way out the same way many average their way in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Litecoin is up to €226. Thought I finally made a gain on it....then realised I bought at €260 :( Let's hope for more surges.

• Advertisement

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda feel if you're looking for that mooncoin it ain't gonna happen if you get sweaty hands.

Am I happy with a new MacBook? Or a new car? Or a yacht? :pac:
    HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    That's why you should always start by selling a small amount first, average your way out the same way many average their way in
    There is something to be said for pulling your initial investment alright. Might make the inevitable crash less painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Some crash now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Anything in particular contributing?
    Or just a correction?

Last too major dips it’s rebounded just over the mark I buy order. Where do I put it now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'll tell you what I've a great habit of buying the local top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jafin wrote: »
    ...what the actual f**k.

that will be massive down the road..
    Once VR becomes mainstream across the board and people start using it more often whether for fun , meetings etc there'll be a huge demand for items such as this.
    Instead of people calling to your house and looking at your painting...people can dial in , see a virtual pic etc and admire it.
    These will be highly restricted ie one off versions etc which will have huge demand.
    Sounds completely far out but we've seen this before in a game over a decade ago. Can't remember it for the life of me. ah Second Life.

Look at EA sports...people are spending thousands a year to try and get the best cards for a game that only lasts a year.
    Now imagine someone have created a one off version of Pele (using blockchain technology) in a decade or two.
    Now imagine you can invite your friends over for a game of virtual soccer and they see Pele in your 5 a side team. And they know there's only 1 of him in existence. Have you any idea what that would cost?
    There's no limit.

There's a good audiobook out there called Ready Player one.
    People see it as nostalgic for the 80's video gaming etc.
    But what they're missing is what they call the oasis in it. ITs a virtual world where you can game, shop, review stuff, learn etc etc.
    And in this Oasis manufacturers do their advertising in.
    This is the future down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Blazer wrote: »
    Once VR becomes mainstream across the board and people start using it more often whether for fun , meetings etc there'll be a huge demand for items such as this.
    Instead of people calling to your house and looking at your painting...people can dial in , see a virtual pic etc and admire it.
    These will be highly restricted ie one off versions etc which will have huge demand.
    Sounds completely far out but we've seen this before in a game over a decade ago. Can't remember it for the life of me. ah Second Life.

Look at EA sports...people are spending thousands a year to try and get the best cards for a game that only lasts a year.
    Now imagine someone have created a one off version of Pele (using blockchain technology) in a decade or two.
    Now imagine you can invite your friends over for a game of virtual soccer and they see Pele in your 5 a side team. And they know there's only 1 of him in existence. Have you any idea what that would cost?
    There's no limit.

But what they're missing is what they call the oasis in it. ITs a virtual world where you can game, shop, review stuff, learn etc etc.

Also a movie based on the same.

I think what catches me is how people are spending that kind of money on these vr spaces in places that arent in any way mainstream.

Connavar wrote: »
    Also a movie based on the same.

I think what catches me is how people are spending that kind of money on these vr spaces in places that arent in any way mainstream.

we won't even mention that god awful movie :D

These guy are just getting out there in front.
    Look at early bitcoin adopters. Lots of people thought they were mad to be wasting electricity on it.

Right now we're in the middle of a digital transformation.
    Hell they reckon that at least 70 % of primary school kids today will be working in jobs that don't yet exist.
    I can see it already in my company where we're rapidly using AI/ automation to replace manual tasks that before took minutes and now only take seconds.
    Down the road in about 2 years I foresee that the basic part of my job will be obsolete because our bot will be doing that work which is why I'm upskilling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

There's no limit.

I mean I guess that all kind of makes sense. I've seen the Ready Player One movie, but not read the book, and of course the concept is amazing. I just think it's bonkers that people are spending so much money on virtual...land. I know that microtransactions are big in gaming, I get that. Heck I've even gone through my fair share of phases of being addicted to mobile games that were heavy on microtransactions before realising I was paying a lot of money every year for essentially nothing.

But hey, I'm not here to police how people spend their money. If someone wants something virtual and they have the money then by all means go for it. I suppose it's just another example of physical belongings slowly becoming digital belongings. We're already well past the point of no return for that when it comes to movies, music and video games, so I guess art and "land" are the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Jeff2 wrote: »

Was it the Binance downtime caused?
    Seems like there was huge selling across the board leading up to it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I suspect the other way round, huge selling caused Binance problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Right now we're in the middle of a digital transformation.
    Hell they reckon that at least 70 % of primary school kids today will be working in jobs that don't yet exist.
    They had better be dreaming up some new lines of work as what's coming down the line is pretty profound. We should be no more than 10 years away from making current global car stock obsolete and finally have self driving properly available. Millions of drivers are going to be excess to requirements.

I struggle with the whole NFT thing although I have to admit that it has an old world equivalent (folks parting with big bucks for first edition books or original art pieces even when someone can whip up a copy and enjoy it visually and be unable to tell the difference). I find that moronic but clearly its been proven over many years already.
    The virtual worlds thing I find even harder to get my head around - but again I accept that its going to happen...starting with a generation that is born into that.
    cc87 wrote: »
    Was it the Binance downtime caused?
    Seems like there was huge selling across the board leading up to it
    In recent times, more often than not, its been caused by gamblers getting well beyond their skis via leverage. Throw in some FUD narratives to go along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

I am currently using Revolut to buy BTC/ETH and I see they're charging 2.5% fee. Any recommendation for lower fees? Are Binance, Bitstamp better one's?

SummerK wrote: »
    I am currently using Revolut to buy BTC/ETH and I see they're charging 2.5% fee. Any recommendation for lower fees? Are Binance, Bitstamp better one's?

Not only are they much better re. fees but there's no comparison in terms of the overall product. You have more options with Binance/Bitstamp/Kraken as you're actually buying/selling crypto. That's not the case with Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Not only are they much better re. fees but there's no comparison in terms of the overall product. You have more options with Binance/Bitstamp/Kraken as you're actually buying/selling crypto. That's not the case with Revolut.
    Thanks. I tried comparing fees among Binance/Bitstamp/Kraken and it appears Bitstamp is lowest at 0.5%. Is my understanding correct?

So it appears everyone is selling up to buy Safemoon.

Looks like it's about to hit a $0.00001 milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭antfin

SummerK wrote: »

If your set on continuing to use Revolut you can pay the €7.99 per month for a premium plan and the fee goes down to 1.5%. That could save multiple times the subscription price if you're buying or selling regularly or the fees on trading anything over €8,000 would be more than a full year of subscription to a premium plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They had better be dreaming up some new lines of work as what's coming down the line is pretty profound. We should be no more than 10 years away from making current global car stock obsolete and finally have self driving properly available. Millions of drivers are going to be excess to requirements.

I struggle with the whole NFT thing although I have to admit that it has an old world equivalent (folks parting with big bucks for first edition books or original art pieces even when someone can whip up a copy and enjoy it visually and be unable to tell the difference). I find that moronic but clearly its been proven over many years already.
    The virtual worlds thing I find even harder to get my head around - but again I accept that its going to happen...starting with a generation that is born into that.

In recent times, more often than not, its been caused by gamblers getting well beyond their skis via leverage. Throw in some FUD narratives to go along with that.

There is not even the slightest possibility of making sufficient batteries within 10 years to make the worlds car fleet obsolete.

Self driving doesn't work - two people killed in just the last 3 days thinking a Tesla could self drive. Autonomous driving will IMO, never work, as I believe general intelligence is required for real driving and no neural network or any other technology can deliver that.

If you are old enough, you might recall dire predictions in the late 70's that the world had a population crisis and the world would shortly run out of food. Never happened and now there is a significant global food surplus.

Another more recent one was peak oil and how we would soon have a major crisis in running out of oil - and no, EV's had nothing to do with proving that one false either.

As for most kids working in jobs that don't yet exist - more BS - just like 40 years ago predictions were that nuclear fusion would soon be a reality and the world would be swimming in almost free electricity.

cnocbui wrote: »
    There is not even the slightest possibility of making sufficient batteries within 10 years to make the worlds car fleet obsolete.
    That could well be a major stumbling block - that's fair enough.
    Self driving doesn't work - two people killed in just the last 3 days thinking a Tesla could self drive. Autonomous driving will IMO, never work, as I believe general intelligence is required for real driving and no neural network or any other technology can deliver that.
    Lazy 'journalism' drives that. The reality is that its already much safer - but tabloid style reporting of issues - feeds on the tendency of people to fear change - holding this back. In spite of said issues, if the entire world switched to self driving today, there would be a hell of a lot less people getting killed and injured on our roads. We're holding self-driving standards to a higher standard than ourselves.
    If you are old enough, you might recall dire predictions in the late 70's that the world had a population crisis and the world would shortly run out of food. Never happened and now there is a significant global food surplus.

Another more recent one was peak oil and how we would soon have a major crisis in running out of oil - and no, EV's had nothing to do with proving that one false either.
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about humans sitting at home with no job. The world evolves - and there will be new jobs. But I do believe this change is coming.
    As for most kids working in jobs that don't yet exist - more BS - just like 40 years ago predictions were that nuclear fusion would soon be a reality and the world would be swimming in almost free electricity.
    Things can often take longer to arrive than envisaged. I'm no spring chicken at this point - automation a couple of decades ago already instilled fear that we'd all be out of work. To your point, it never happened. However, technology is picking up the pace exponentially now. No-coiners complain that this blockchain thing - its been around for ages already and has achieved nothing. AI has been around for much much longer. However, it's now finally coming through.

Things can often take longer to arrive than envisaged. I'm no spring chicken at this point - automation a couple of decades ago already instilled fear that we'd all be out of work. To your point, it never happened. However, technology is picking up the pace exponentially now. No-coiners complain that this blockchain thing - its been around for ages already and has achieved nothing. AI has been around for much much longer. However, it's now finally coming through.

Exactly.
    I work in IT and the changes in software/automation over the past 10 years are like magic.
    15 years ago I was creating standalone VMs using microsoft or VMware just for fun.
    Around 2007/8 we started using VMs to replace physical servers but even this was restricted due to technology..ie no large disk spaces, no databases due to a high IO requirement etc.
    Fast forward to now. You can create or destroy a server in seconds in AWS or Azure.
    You can have as large you want , run databases on them, replicate those at a click etc.
    You can make virtual networks that reside on a basic network and you can simply pop off to another data centre, click and voila..you're replicated your environment in the virtual world.

Every business right now is making the transition . any that doesn't or fall behind will simply fade away to obscurity.

And its not that automation will replace every job.
    Most jobs at risk are admin roles, accountants, legal staff etc are all high risk in the next 10/20 years.

Lazy 'journalism' drives that. The reality is that its already much safer - but tabloid style reporting of issues - feeds on the tendency of people to fear change - holding this back. In spite of said issues, if the entire world switched to self driving today, there would be a hell of a lot less people getting killed and injured on our roads. We're holding self-driving standards to a higher standard than ourselves.

Speaking of lazy - this isn't the place for it, but autonomous driving that is safer than humans does not already exist - not even close. You'd have to be swallowing Teslas garbage propaganda, despite being told off by the NHTSA for doing so. The recent deaths have nothing to do with lazy journalism - they believed Musk's BS and they died.

Exactly.
    I work in IT and the changes in software/automation over the past 10 years are like magic.
    15 years ago I was creating standalone VMs using microsoft or VMware just for fun.
    Around 2007/8 we started using VMs to replace physical servers but even this was restricted due to technology..ie no large disk spaces, no databases due to a high IO requirement etc.
    Fast forward to now. You can create or destroy a server in seconds in AWS or Azure.
    You can have as large you want , run databases on them, replicate those at a click etc.
    You can make virtual networks that reside on a basic network and you can simply pop off to another data centre, click and voila..you're replicated your environment in the virtual world.

Every business right now is making the transition . any that doesn't or fall behind will simply fade away to obscurity.

And its not that automation will replace every job.
    Most jobs at risk are admin roles, accountants, legal staff etc are all high risk in the next 10/20 years.

IT, blah, blah - and then you have this: http://www.southernmachinery.ie/

:D

Speaking of lazy - this isn't the place for it, but autonomous driving that is safer than humans does not already exist - not even close. You'd have to be swallowing Teslas garbage propaganda, despite being told off by the NHTSA for doing so. The recent deaths have nothing to do with lazy journalism - they believed Musk's BS and they died.
    Speaking of lazy?
    You're talking about a specific instance firstly. How many people have died on the worlds roads in the few minutes we've exchanged these messages? It's always the same with new tech - the downside gets exaggerated - tapping in to people's fears of what they know little of.

"So far, in all the data gathered, it would appear that self-driving cars are much safer than human-driven cars, but a lot of work needs to be done to prove this. Self-driving cars are made safe, given that their sensors and response times are all electronic and mechanical, making them by nature faster than humans."

LINK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

IT, blah, blah - and then you have this: http://www.southernmachinery.ie/

:D

Ah, they're just missing the SSL redirection, https://southernmachinery.ie works fine.

Still.

Schoolboyerror.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement