Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass" and "You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling brother" were only 2 weeks apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw on Reddit that Black has a singles match tomorrow and a poster on there said that is his first singles match since...

June 2022.

Spoilered for those who want to guess! What a weird wrestling stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

The is a YouTube video in the news thread showing him having a singles match this week so I’ll guess 5 days

Regards,

P.

That's not a match. That's glorified training.

Regards,

J. Marston, Esquire.

I see why most posters think you are blank now

Regards

P.

• Advertisement

You picked that up quickly in your "brief" time on the site. Blank.

Regards,

J. Marston, Esquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do ring crews all have kendo stick fights in their downtime and that's why there are always kendo sticks under the ring?

Cody's entrance music is in the HoF of entrance themes now, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

When was Miro's last single match? For such a stacked roster AEW can't book everyone, they should have properly stuck to a roster split with Collision and Dynamite it would have benefited alot of their stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So now that Sting is actually retired and what a career he had

It is kind of frustrating how the WWE run went and blame can be pointed at many parties. Vince and Triple Hs egos, WWE medical practices and some of it to Sting himself for not speaking up and doing all his power to get that 'Sting vs Taker match'. A cinematic match would of made it work a few years ago

Lost opportunity was Sting not signing with WWE in the early-mid 2000s

Overall his AEW run was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm still trying to think what the plan was at Wrestlemania 31. Like was it going to be one of those things were Sting loses to Triple H at 31, and then they have a rematch at 32 and then Sting goes over then, or was HHH just going to beat him and that was it? Since Sting got injured later on in the year and basically retired, we'll never really know if there was going to be some follow up from that match now so it looks even worse for Sting. To have him debut in WWE and then lose his first match was just f*cking stupid.

in the Documentary they made in the run up to his debut he siad he wanted to work with 'this and that person'. There must be someone in the know about what plans were if Sting didnt get hurt or as cleared to wrestle by WWE. Id say the plan was always going into the HOF in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The original idea was for Sting to beat HHH. But then the Rock was supposed to come back at WM 32 vs HHH so HHH then had to bet Sting to "look strong". But then the Rock did a movie instead and didnt come back.

Don't think I'll be a fan of Seth Rollins in about 30 minutes. I'm doing the CrossFit Open and they announce the exercises for the weekend at 8pm on Thursdays. Seth is special guest announcer tonight.

Why are wwe struggling to sign big free agents ?

Jay White, Okada, Mone to name a few

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I imagine it’s a case of WWE is going down the business model while AEW is going down the dream match route and throwing money at the wrestlers to get them to sign.

WWE prob look at everyone as a return on investment and Okada at $4.5m a year would that give a return in investment?

Will tv audiences flock to tune in to see him or attend tv tapings to see him to warrant the price tag?

I’d also argue do WWE need them? Raw and Smackdown are selling out, interest is at an all time high without needing any of the game changers AEW signed.

I have no doubt in my mind AEW have the better wrestlers but I have faith that WWE have the more entertaining product from NXT to the main roster. So if wrestling and 5 star bangers isn’t their focus a Tiffany can slot in for a Sasha for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All the talk for the last few months was that Nakamura's push was to show Okada that the WWE could push a Japanese wrestler so now that Okada has signed for AEW is Nakamura's push over now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Struggling makes them sound like they've no money and aren't signing 5 billion dollar deals with Netflix, I think it's the wrong word to use here.

They COULD pay Okada 5 million a year to gazump AEW but do they NEED to with the business seeing new records in the past year or so?

Seem to be doing fine to me and if they go and sign an Okada for example where does he fit in without someone else losing a spot? McIntyre doing class character work and earning his shot at Mania, do we just forget that and give Okada the match vs Seth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭ThePott

Each case is different here seemingly.

With Jay White there was apparently a hiring freeze.

Okada has seemingly been signed to AEW for a while if the latest report is to be believed. In fact I 've seen some suggest that WWE didn't make as big a play for him as initially reported cause his deal from AEW was too good and him and the Bucks are so tight.

With Moné she seemed to have a number in mind and WWE weren't going to pay it, maybe TK did. She's also already recently said she knows she'll head back to WWE someday which is hardly good bargaining power and not what AEW would want to hear.

Again, I would echo other posters. WWE doesn't really need anyone right now. I mean these people are all stars and should be doing big things but at the same time, WWE don't need to chase big names right now. They're getting outstanding broadcast deals and having some of their biggest gates and are selling out show after show. AEW need them more.

Jury is still out whether they've made the right call going to AEW but they'll be bigger deals in AEW than they will in WWE I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I'd argue it's better for the industry as a whole that White and Okada (and Mone to a lesser extent) go to AEW, the main thing WWE needs at this point of time isn't new stars it's serious competition to keep pushing them to produce good content (I realise that's a subjective term and some may not agree).

Without AEW you don't get the character work of Christian and Toni Storm of late, Swerve probably gets nowhere near the top either and that's just to name some of the bigger stories on the shows. A healthy AEW with bonafide stars is absolutely the best thing in the world for pro wrestling as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭ThePott

Absolutely a rising tide raises all boats.

Having healthy alternatives for fans and performers is needed. Both have benefits and drawbacks. Not long ago, the idea that Okada would leave NJPW was a ludicrous one. A few years back, having a company giving him the level of contract he's seemingly getting in AEW would have been pretty unlikely. The possibility of him even going to WWE and being treated well even more unlikely. Wrestling is in a healthy spot.

I find it annoying when people suggest that some one company getting other talent is a sign that one company is better than the other. It's dumb. People are going to go back and forth between both, that's what healthy competition is. Some will go for the bigger money offer, some will go for more exposure, more creative control, easier schedule or more prominence on the card. There's no one answer.

Don't make it a point scoring competition, just enjoy it for what it is.

It's probably a rite of passage if you win a title in wrestling.

From Becky's book?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wrestle mania XX took place 20 years ago tonight in MSG. Jesus I remember being in college and staying up to watch it. Where does time go ?

The Attitude Era and NWO Era was actually really terrible in term of wrestling 75% or more of it was just trash to and it is only really fondly remembered for its shock value and not its wrestling.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When you look back to the late 90s you can poke a lot of holes in it. Be it the nwo having like 50 members and every segment being about them or wwf and the constant dq finishes or what have you.

All that said the 90s was the very best time to be a wresting fan. Despite any critisms it was the golden age of wrestling in my opinion.

• Advertisement

For me pro wrestling is at is best when it’s story driven and the characters are shining.

The attitude era absolutely in ring product was trash but the storylines were engaging. McMahon vs Austin, the corporate rock, Dx Nation, etc.

Even modern times WWE is streets ahead of AEW in its storylines , the bloodline, Cody’s rise to the top, the rocks involvement have made it must see tv despite AEW having the superior wrestling talent and in ring action, viewers are more emotionally involved in WWE as it’s the characters and their arcs you tune in for.

Compare it to a Hollywood blockbuster what good Is a movie if it was just action set piece followed by action set piece you’d have no investment in the characters.

Advertisement