Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They were the definition of the sum of the parts. As the great Bobby Heenan once said, one without the other ain’t any good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ugh, Jesus, no matter what they do, don't bring back Big Cass. Nothing without Enzo beside him. No good in ring either. Not that Enzo was much better, mind.

You don't want him to spell it out for ya no? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I found Enzo entertaining, very unlikeable guy but I enjoyed his verbal skills.

Cass is very meh in all departments. I always felt you could add any big guy to Enzo and I wouldnt notice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Agreed on Enzo, he was great on the mic. Would be a good manager type for anyone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Such a pity the forbidden door is closed to live event fans at the moment.

Omega winning belts in front of a live crowd would make awesome viewing for those watching on PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be honest Enzo is a fool.
    He was 31 when he got fired but at that point he was on the main roster, probably earning 300-400 (?) grand a year but he messed up the gravy train. All because he just rubbed people the wrong way. It is all his own fault.

Cass will be back. Has the height and now the body. Only my two cents, but WWE can be very forgiving if you fit a certain mold.

Let's be honest Enzo is a fool.
    He was 31 when he got fired but at that point he was on the main roster, probably earning 300-400 (?) grand a year but he messed up the gravy train. All because he just rubbed people the wrong way. It is all his own fault.

Cass will be back. Has the height and now the body. Only my two cents, but WWE can be very forgiving if you fit a certain mold.

Oh hes a tool.... but an entertaining one. He screwed it up for himself no doubt, but he kept my attention unlike most WWE stars on the mic.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Oh hes a tool.... but an entertaining one. He screwed it up for himself no doubt, but he kept my attention unlike most WWE stars on the mic.

you're so right breakerjoe. that's the thing that makes it more worse! :)
    Like that dude can talk and as we have seen for so many years in WWE that can take you to the stratosphere. Sure, maybe he wouldnt have been world champion (WWE's mold) but who cares :p Enzo could have been a top mid-carder and in his own words 'could have been a certified .... multi millionaire'

you're so right breakerjoe. that's the thing that makes it more worse! :)
    Like that dude can talk and as we have seen for so many years in WWE that can take you to the stratosphere. Sure, maybe he wouldnt have been world champion (WWE's mold) but who cares :p Enzo could have been a top mid-carder and in his own words 'could have been a certified .... multi millionaire'

Nah a tag team mid carder was his ceiling,....at best. all I meant that he had a place in WWE as a talker. .... an commentator, a backstage personality, a Brutus Beefcake interview segment or perhaps a Jimmy Hart esque mouthpiece. No way should he ever be near the upper mid card or above.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Nah a tag team mid carder was his ceiling,....at best. all I meant that he had a place in WWE as a talker. .... an commentator, a backstage personality, a Brutus Beefcake interview segment or perhaps a Jimmy Hart esque mouthpiece. No way should he ever be near the upper mid card or above.

Either way, his bank balance would be a whoooooole lot heftier ;)
    In the immortal words of Bobby Heenan, "it's all about an ass every 18 inches" - I love that expression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

All because he just rubbed people the wrong way. It is all his own fault......

......Cass will be back. Has the height and now the body. Only my two cents, but WWE can be very forgiving if you fit a certain mold.

I thought Enzo's final straw was not disclosing that he was being investigated for rape?

As for WWE and body types =future returrns, Chris Masters is an example of that not working out.

I thought Enzo's final straw was not disclosing that he was being investigated for rape?

As for WWE and body types =future returrns, Chris Masters is an example of that not working out.

You are correct. But Enzo, accordingly, had already burned his bridge before that. Being thrown out of the locker room and tour buses. According to JBL there has been many talent (and commentators) who have suffered said "outage" and the only one to ever do anything beyond was The Miz. It is a company of talent who sniffs blood and goes on the hunt.

Dream had some allegations against him but, most likely, because of his demeanor wasnt shown the door instantly. Enzo has been cleared against all charges since. His attitude and scandal was too much for WWE. They washed their hands once it came to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With no fans in attendance for WWE shows now do the wrestlers continue fighting during the ad breaks or do they take a break?
    Would make sense for them to continue like they would if they were training, if only to stay warmed up.
    I know they sometimes do picture in picture, but not always

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With no fans in attendance for WWE shows now do the wrestlers continue fighting during the ad breaks or do they take a break?
    Would make sense for them to continue like they would if they were training, if only to stay warmed up.
    I know they sometimes do picture in picture, but not always

When the empty arenas first started the international TV feed showed them just waiting around and chatting...

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1238625860518805504

Since that was shown maybe they just do rest holds or something to make it appear like they're doing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched the Miz WWE24 just reminds me why I like him.
    He was well aware now of how he was received back in the earlier years. Even with his match against Cena on Raw compared to his Mania match. I didn't know he was knocked out in that match. As was said, imagine achieving your dream and main eventing Wrestlemania only to not remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

CastorTroy wrote:
    Just watched the Miz WWE24 just reminds me why I like him.
    He was well aware now of how he was received back in the earlier years. Even with his match against Cena on Raw compared to his Mania match. I didn't know he was knocked out in that match. As was said, imagine achieving your dream and main eventing Wrestlemania only to not remember it.

Damn! That's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Today is the 16 years since HBK super kicked Shelton Benjamin out of his boots on raw. It’s still such a great moment and everything worked perfectly. HBK delivered it perfectly, Shelton took it perfectly, the front row reacted as you want them to, Earl hebner did great, and JR and king sold it like it was the greatest thing ever. Imagine that finish in the current camera cut nuts era ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've noticed Nattie and TJ invite wrestlers to their ring to train and improve such as Lana and Liv. Seen a clip of the latter and I don't think I've ever seen her move better.

Makes you wonder how many are better than they're allowed to show on TV. The Mania gauntlet match was too bad to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've noticed Nattie and TJ invite wrestlers to their ring to train and improve such as Lana and Liv. Seen a clip of the latter and I don't think I've ever seen her move better.

Makes you wonder how many are better than they're allowed to show on TV. The Mania gauntlet match was too bad to be true.

I saw that clip on Reddit and someone in the comments made a fair point; How many women on the roster can be a solid base like the guy was for her and bump like him? Probably only 10% of the women, in my opinion, could make it look as good and seamless as the trainer.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I saw that clip on Reddit and someone in the comments made a fair point; How many women on the roster can be a solid base like the guy was for her and bump like him? Probably only 10% of the women, in my opinion, could make it look as good and seamless as the trainer.

That did occur to me, probably a chasm between this guy and someone like Dana Brooke in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Braun is just a big show clone.

Flips between face and heel constantly.

Booked like a monster one week and a chump the next. Constantly made to look like a threat to the champion even tho no one is believing that sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Loughc wrote: »
    Braun is just a big show clone.

Flips between face and heel constantly.

Booked like a monster one week and a chump the next. Constantly made to look like a threat to the champion even tho no one is believing that sh!t.

I've never seen such a failure in terms of booking. It should be easy to book a guy like Braun. He's a big, intimidating man, so should be booked like a monster like Brock Lesnar or Vader. I wonder why WWE books him like this? is it because they only want a specific wrestler to play the monster role? or are they afraid he might overshadow someone like Roman Reigns or Drew McIntyre? When he won the Universal Championship from Goldberg, it should have been the time to start booking him as a big deal and a serious threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Agree re: Braun, he's done now.

When he was pounding Reigns constantly, he was at the height of his powers. He should have been the one guy Roman couldn't overcome. Keep them on separate shows, play the long game, before the big redemption story for Roman. It could have gotten Roman over back then too, if it was played out right.

WWE just don't care about what fans want to see. They have no cares about logic, presentation or quality anymore. They've made their money in TV deals, and with the Network moving to Peacock. They have no incentive to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

gerrybbadd wrote: »

WWE just don't care about what fans want to see. They have no cares about logic, presentation or quality anymore. They've made their money in TV deals, and with the Network moving to Peacock. They have no incentive to improve.

It’s such a smarky thing to say but it’s 100% true. It started with Jinder becoming champ and has been ever present since.

It has become so lowest common denominator and really paint by numbers. I think that’s why people absolutely loved Bray Wyatt when it got repackaged. It was so unique, so well written and offered so much intrigue for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Vince rolling out all the Giants lately

Omas
    Commander Azeez

And now there's a big guy in Jinder Mahal's new stable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Vince rolling out all the Giants lately

Omas
    Commander Azeez

And now there's a big guy in Jinder Mahal's new stable

I’m a sucker for giants. “The bodyguard” is a Pro wrestling 101 gimmick. I’ll never tire of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Saw this on my feed with David Bixenspan having retweeted it. Given how often everyone here (and everywhere) complains about WWE's style of shooting I thought it'd be a good watch.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1390466152497823747?s=20

Saw this on my feed with David Bixenspan having retweeted it. Given how often everyone here (and everywhere) complains about WWE's style of shooting I thought it'd be a good watch.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1390466152497823747?s=20

I'd love to see Impact compared as well because they give WWE a good run for their money with camera cuts during matches and it puts me off watching them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Striker puts me off IMPACT, he's very close to being un-listenable. The absolute dearth of any kind of atmosphere in the arena doesn't help either.

• Advertisement

I don't mind Striker, he comes across as at least an interested play by play guy. Is he any worse than the Cole clones in WWE? Not for me.

Or maybe I've just softened towards him over how he dealt with that clown Vampiro.

Advertisement