Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Btw yesterday April 5th was the seventh anniversary of Mr. T thanking his mother at the HOF. It was both the most entertaining and bizarre speech and I’ll be honest it made the network subscription worth it. Also, yesterday was the 29th anniversary of the wrestlemania 8 which had the great matches of piper vs Hart( and I discrete blade job) and savage vs flair(with a less discrete blade job) and then the main event where papa Shango missed his cue and in the hogan vs Sid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Other than the cage match. Night 1 of mania reads like a Raw card lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I kind of want Jericho to win a title in TNA/Impact now there is a partnership there.

So he can have held a title in ECW, WCW WWF/E, NJPW, CMLL & AEW.

Maybe throw in a title in AAA as well.

Tag belt title would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I kind of want Jericho to win a title in TNA/Impact now there is a partnership there.

So he can have held a title in ECW, WCW WWF/E, NJPW, CMLL & AEW.

Maybe throw in a title in AAA as well.

Tag belt title would be ideal.

I'd like to see Kenny Omega win the Impact World Championship and hold both the Impact and AEW world titles simultaneously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

1 year on from being in one of the most anticipated matches/angles on the card, has anyone's stock fallen as much over the last 12 months as Mandy Rose?

Otis is a shadow of himself too, but at least he can point to proper stories and stuff. But considering how big a deal Mandy was this time last year, how much the fans seemed to be behind her (which is a miracle, cause her look does not scream ultimate babyface), they have stripped everything interesting from her and sent her to catering. There's others who suffer such fates too, obviously, but considering how high she was last year and how low she is now, it's bizarre how little WWE have for her.

(Bayley too, but she's a more obvious example...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Never saw that much in her, to be honest.

I think people are just surprised she isn't pushed because she has the whole "blonde bombshell" thing they associate with Vince but aside from Charlotte, it's been a while since that was the case. Sasha, Bayley, Becky, Asuka, Shayna don't really fit that mold and they've been the strongest pushes in recent years.

I remember reading that she has lots of fingers in pies outside of wrestling so she will be set when she's done with wrestling. WWE probably don't like someone looking out for themselves and not needing them, maybe that's why they stalled on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I don't see ads on tv too often these days, but how long has Daniel Bryan been in a coke zero ad?

Just seen the ad, features a few famous faces including Bryan yes yes yes, obviously WWE and Bryan had to give release permission to use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭ThePott

Lord TSC wrote: »
    1 year on from being in one of the most anticipated matches/angles on the card, has anyone's stock fallen as much over the last 12 months as Mandy Rose?
    Saw someone mention this today and agreed but before that I was thinking of Sonya more. That was a hot angle and it seems like they got rid of it really quickly for no real reason.

Sonya had a lot of potential and now they have her in this Smackdown GM story that they scarcely acknowledge, I honestly forgot about it until this week. The women's division in general isn't being handled greatly at the moment in my opinion.

ThePott wrote: »
    Saw someone mention this today and agreed but before that I was thinking of Sonya more. That was a hot angle and it seems like they got rid of it really quickly for no real reason.

Sonya had a lot of potential and now they have her in this Smackdown GM story that they scarcely acknowledge, I honestly forgot about it until this week. The women's division in general isn't being handled greatly at the moment in my opinion.

Well Sonya has had a lot to deal with in real life with the guy breaking into her house ready probably to rape and murder her.

Mandy was also in the house that night as well, so you know wrestling takes a back sit and rightly so to real life **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭ThePott

Well Sonya has had a lot to deal with in real life with the guy breaking into her house ready probably to rape and murder her.

Mandy was also in the house that night as well, so you know wrestling takes a back sit and rightly so to real life **** like that.
    Oh of course but they have her back on tv and all I figured they'd use her better is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who would've thought the storyline loads of people were interested in would involve Otis, Mandy, Sonya and even Dolph Ziggler?
    Out of them, Mandy is the only one with a match at Mania (or possibly the preshow).
    Otis and Ziggler are the pre-preshow on Smackdown.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The card is bang average....

The build has been muck....

The product is the worst it's been since 95 (IMO)

But yet I am hyped for Mania week, going to leave NXT until Saturday as a warm up so I have both nights to watch back to back. It's nice to feel excited for WWE for a change... no doubt I will regret it all come Monday morning.

The Raw after Mania means nothing again this year as there is no fans in attendance again so there's no point it'll be a bog standard Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It is fair to say there is no replay value in WrestleMania anymore ever since after 31.

It is hard for me to even name ever single match that took place at WrestleMania last year.

The reason why I a lot think 30 was best modern day WrestleMania is because there is not much filler on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    The card is bang average....

The build has been muck....

The product is the worst it's been since 95 (IMO)

But yet I am hyped for Mania week, going to leave NXT until Saturday as a warm up so I have both nights to watch back to back. It's nice to feel excited for WWE for a change... no doubt I will regret it all come Monday morning.

The Raw after Mania means nothing again this year as there is no fans in attendance again so there's no point it'll be a bog standard Raw.

I feel the card appears average because not only has the build for most part been extremely poor (no real long term planning beyond Randy v Fiend), but also due to their long term ability, or lack thereof, to create and build new stars.

Years of mismanagement and poor use of extremely talented performers coupled with virtually no forward planning is really coming home to roust.

And it will be worse come next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mania week was usually when other promotions would take advantage of the interest so was wondering are any of the other promotions doing anything for it? I know Impact is moving to Thursdays this week, but anything from RoH or any of the others that may still be active?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Mania week was usually when other promotions would take advantage of the interest so was wondering are any of the other promotions doing anything for it? I know Impact is moving to Thursdays this week, but anything from RoH or any of the others that may still be active?

There's ongoing GCW and IWTV shows as we speak. I'm reading the discourse on my feed and I swear I've heard of less than 30% of the wrestlers named. I know barely anyone on the US Indie scene anymore, it's a mess that has gone a full 180 in terms of what it presents that appeals to me.

Horrible shame, at it's peak you'd get some really awesome shows with some of the best wrestlers in the world. For my money, one of the greatest matches ever took place at a Wrestlemania weekend (the famous Dragon Gate 6 man tag that stole the weekend in 2006) but those days are over and they have been for at least a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Bloodsport 6 is on tonight. Moxley vs Josh Barnett and Rocky Romero vs Chavo Guerrero Jr. the most recognizable names on the card.

Bloodsport 6 is on tonight. Moxley vs Josh Barnett and Rocky Romero vs Chavo Guerrero Jr. the most recognizable names on the card.

That one I will watch but wrestlers passing out from performing in humid outdoor heat, puking and cards being completely changed from what was advertised is a pass from me. Plus there's Dragon Gate tomorrow at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

WTF I am getting an age verification to watch that YouTube video when did that become a thing?
    https://www.neowin.net/news/youtube-will-launch-a-new-age-verification-requirement-for-some-european-users/

I submitted a photo of my passport two weeks ago. Kind of regretting it because my name and phone number is on the Facebook leak.

https://www.neowin.net/news/youtube-will-launch-a-new-age-verification-requirement-for-some-european-users/

I submitted a photo of my passport two weeks ago. Kind of regretting it because my name and phone number is on the Facebook leak.

Ye I was never going to be giving them that kind of info to watch a video on YouTube.

• Advertisement

Apparently Mox/Barnett from Bloodsport was a banger. Sounds right up my alley and I was stuck watching Cole/O'Reilly from NXT while it was on. Sometimes we all make bad choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Apparently Mox/Barnett from Bloodsport was a banger. Sounds right up my alley and I was stuck watching Cole/O'Reilly from NXT while it was on. Sometimes we all make bad choices.

Man it was class, certainly lived up to the name of the event. And no melodrama or mid-match promos to be seen thankfully! Well worth checking out.

What kind of match was Mox/Barnett? Was it just a singles match or a hardcore style match (Although I suppose Bloodsport probably already alludes to it)

Riddle101 wrote: »
    What kind of match was Mox/Barnett? Was it just a singles match or a hardcore style match (Although I suppose Bloodsport probably already alludes to it)

Worked shoot. So Bloodsport is basically all worked shoot. The most relatable example I can give is think the style of match Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe worked when they headlined TNA Lockdown. It's in that kinda vein.

Sean Mooney & Todd Pettengill should be in the HoF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where are the Authors of Pain these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They got future endeavoured last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah yeah I know that but wondering had they surfaced anywhere since or are there any rumours of them going anywhere.

Looking at wrestling today with all the martial arts incorporated into it by the current generation of wrestlers would it be fair to say X-Pac was ahead of his time?

I know Japanese wrestling incorporates martial arts into their style so that is probably were X-Pac learned it from, but in WWF I don't think you saw many people using kicks as much as he did.

I was just looking at some of his old clips and I have to say his kicks were some of the best I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Cena really is Superman going by his Twitter.

Acting, TV appearances, inspirational quotes every day and self help books. Where did this bloke come from? :pac:

Advertisement