Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eagle eye wrote: »
    but he has never mentioned it to the best of my knowledge.

You must not be aware of the "my foot was a baloon" meme then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

A much as I think McGregor’s quite humm silly to slag of Dagestanis, my god are they a backward sensitive bunch. Like chimps the way they go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A much as I think McGregor’s quite humm silly to slag of Dagestanis, my god are they a backward sensitive bunch. Like chimps the way they go on.

Aren't we all......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

Guarantee some Irish would do the same if Khabib did similar, did you see the McGregor/Aldo presser in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Danzy wrote: »
    Hard to leave silk sheets at 4am to go running on the rain as one famous boxer said.

That quote is from Rocky V.

• Advertisement

His journey now is one of redemption and reclaimed glory.

Can someone who behaves like a total scumbag ever redeem themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Effects wrote: »
    That quote is from Rocky V.

It's a Marvin Hagler quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Cobblers ...if he starts fighting again they'll bend over any which way, he elevated the sport up there with basketball/football in states and on a wider world level

like it or loathe it the UFC or mma has gone back to where it was before him, an undercard sport

Well he recently said himself he told the ufc he wanted Dec 14th and who he wanted but they said no. So that's not the case.

VW 1 wrote: »
    It's a Marvin Hagler quote.

If Marvin Hagler said it then I think it would have been posted in this thread already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

If Marvin Hagler said it then I think it would have been posted in this thread already.

https://twitter.com/TeddyAtlasReal/status/1135046433504202752

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

See post 1658.

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/868780

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

He should leave Khabib alone at this stage , go and do a few easy win fights , take in the revenue and walk away he doesn't have the fire to beat Khabib or the focus - I think it'll be a wonder if he had have kept that fire and focus if it could have been done but to anyone with a brain who remembers the first fight no matter what he says now the truth is he was mauled on the ground and mauled on his feet..

He had nothing for Khabib all this talk of running scared usual stuff - Khabib isn't interested in a rematch but I actually think he cares about legacy and wants to fight top contenders , he dosen't consider Mcgregor at his level or much of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Irishcrx wrote: »
    He should leave Khabib alone at this stage , go and do a few easy win fights , take in the revenue and walk away he doesn't have the fire to beat Khabib or the focus - I think it'll be a wonder if he had have kept that fire and focus if it could have been done but to anyone with a brain who remembers the first fight no matter what he says now the truth is he was mauled on the ground and mauled on his feet..

He had nothing for Khabib all this talk of running scared usual stuff - Khabib isn't interested in a rematch but I actually think he cares about legacy and wants to fight top contenders , he dosen't consider Mcgregor at his level or much of a challenge.

I don't think there's too many easy win fights in the top 15 of the lightweight division at this stage but you're right that he needs a few fights before even thinking of mentioning Khabib's name.

You don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

You don't get it.

Professional footballers manage to do it every week even though they are millionaires.

lola85 wrote: »
    Professional footballers manage to do it every week even though they are millionaires.

Yeah, you’re right. But I guess it’s different when it’s a combat sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Floyd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think the difference lies between individual vs team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He lost his dying hunger that got him to 2 UFC belts. He's cashed in his chips. Get in, get rich, get out. Nobody has beaten the game like McGregor. I truly do respect him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think the difference lies between individual vs team sports.

Exactly so many layers of foundations in team sports when players have retired from these many a story of them struggling to adjust after.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Floyd

Does he count? His last two fights were against fighters who had no hope of beating him.
    Did it for the money, and no other real reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Just because one person does it doesn’t mean another person automatically can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Does he count? His last two fights were against fighters who had no hope of beating him.
    Did it for the money, and no other real reason.

The prime example. Renowned for his dedication to training throughout his career even with the circus that went with his lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BDI wrote: »
    Just because one person does it doesn’t mean another person automatically can.
    Of course not. But people were suggesting it’s near impossible for anyone to do. It’s a witty quote from a boxer, not some divine law of the universe.

I think one reason it applies more to boxing/MMA over football or other sports, is that team sports have long seasons of many events, and structured training. Even Individual sports like golf and tennis have multiple events on a fixed schedule each season.
    The nature of boxing/MMA. Long periods “out of comp”, with short intense camps. The higher you climb the down time get longer and more comfortable.
    When your broke all you can do is train and fight again ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

US2 wrote: »
    McGregor is bigger than MMA that is a fact. He's the most watched fight, the most money made, biggest gate, most ppv sold , most google searches, first double champ fighter ect Hes the biggest story this week an he has 2 fights in 3 years

Not even a fanboy anymore (I was circa 2015).

Dan Henderson would like a word

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

evil_seed wrote: »
    Dan Henderson would like a word

Simultaneous champ champ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Simultaneous champ champ

He held the 183lb and 205lb pride belts simultaneously as far as I remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    He held the 183lb and 205lb pride belts simultaneously as far as I remember?
    Officially he held both simultaneously, and the record books show him as the last champ in each.

But he actually lost at welterweight (183lbs) in Pride before winning the 205lb belt. It was in the following WW championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I hope he brings back ido portal. Things went wrong after he stopped being flowey.

Advertisement