Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's coming up on 3 years since he won a fight. So he posts pictures of old wins. Fairly sad to be honest, amazing how quickly he became a has-been.

You say has-been, but.... if/when he makes a comeback his fight will break records again.............or say double/treble whatever the current 'goat' 155 Champion does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's coming up on 3 years since he won a fight. So he posts pictures of old wins. Fairly sad to be honest, amazing how quickly he became a has-been.
    And yet he's still being mentioned constantly.
    Not bad for a has been.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    You say has-been, but.... if/when he makes a comeback his fight will break records again.............or say double/treble whatever the current 'goat' 155 Champion does

:D That 'goat' has won 2 or 3 times more fights in the past two years than McGregor has :pac::pac:

I don’t think he gets enough credit for how good he was. He cleaned up the FW division. Could have easily stayed there and beaten everyone again.
    He got sloppy against Diaz. Worked hard to put that right and then humiliated Alvarez.

His big mistake was fighting Khabib after a long lay off. Surely it would have made sense to get back to 100% sharpness before taking that fight.

It’s funny how people act like Conor is finished because he lost a fight yet people respect the hell out of Robbie Lawler and he lost many fights, still a warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

What’s the crack with Artem????

Has he bailed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Probably still recovering from his bare knuckle boxing match with Paulie Malinaggi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t think he gets enough credit for how good he was. He cleaned up the FW division. Could have easily stayed there and beaten everyone again.
    He got sloppy against Diaz. Worked hard to put that right and then humiliated Alvarez.

His big mistake was fighting Khabib after a long lay off. Surely it would have made sense to get back to 100% sharpness before taking that fight.

It’s funny how people act like Conor is finished because he lost a fight yet people respect the hell out of Robbie Lawler and he lost many fights, still a warrior.

I suppose the main difference is that we fans are just not getting to see Conor fight now because he is too big a star, celebrity and has too many different businesses and income streams on the go, which facilitates his lack of fighting.
    Robbie is still fighting often as, although he would be a fairly wealthy guy from his past achievements, he would not be in the millionaire lifestyle like Mcgregor and wouldn’t really sell out to silly Instagram type stuff. Also he probably just has the personality of a humble enough guy that likes to fight.
    I’m a massive Conor fan and I don’t think we will ever see the likes again. Which makes it such a shame he has behaved the way he has in past 2 years. And I don’t mean the khabib fight, he was a rock star in the fight itself. Just everything else.

I suppose the main difference is that we fans are just not getting to see Conor fight now because he is too big a star, celebrity and has too many different businesses and income streams on the go, which facilitates his lack of fighting.
    Robbie is still fighting often as, although he would be a fairly wealthy guy from his past achievements, he would not be in the millionaire lifestyle like Mcgregor and wouldn’t really sell out to silly Instagram type stuff. Also he probably just has the personality of a humble enough guy that likes to fight.
    I’m a massive Conor fan and I don’t think we will ever see the likes again. Which makes it such a shame he has behaved the way he has in past 2 years. And I don’t mean the khabib fight, he was a rock star in the fight itself. Just everything else.

I don’t really like Conor myself too much at the moment but hopefully he can redeem himself. If he gets focused on fighting again I think he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I don’t really like Conor myself too much at the moment but hopefully he can redeem himself. If he gets focused on fighting again I think he can.

Keep dreamin.

It ain’t happening.

That old Conor is gone and people need to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's finished because he's fought once in 3 years at a time when he isn't injured and in his prime.
    Losing a fight has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    He's finished because he's fought once in 3 years at a time when he isn't injured and in his prime.
    Losing a fight has nothing to do with it.

In terms of UFC, he is still young. Sure Tony Ferguson is 35.
    Conor looked decent against Khabib considering his long lay off.
    No reason he couldn’t come back and do a run of fights. It’s whether he wants to and has the right level of motivation. That’s the question

Greg is a real snake. He reminds me a bit of Thulsa Doom, the baddie from Conan the Barbarian.

Greg is a real snake. He reminds me a bit of Thulsa Doom, the baddie from Conan the Barbarian.

Oh sorry, wrong thread. Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

McGregor has very few fight miles on the clock. Compared to someone like Rory McDonald who is the same age as him, McGregor has taken very little damage in his career.

The thing is that MMA isn't a regular sport where an athlete can have half their mind elsewhere. You have to be fully committed to minimise how much you get hurt. A team sport you can get away with having off seasons let alone matches.

I think he'll fight just enough to keep his star name out there. So maybe has 2 or 3 left in his career. He's gotten what he's set out to achieve, become Champ Champ and really really rich. I can't begrudge him any of his success.

Would appreciate if he could keep his law breaking to a minimum, because like it or not he is a role model to a lot of impressionable minds. But that's something only he can make right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Even if he lost his next 3 fights against high-level opponents like say Justin, Tony and Dustin, as long as he put up a good scrap there'd be no shame in it and his record would end at 21-7 even then. People acting like he's some sort of bum/his legacy is ruined based solely on the Khabib fight when in reality he had decent defense against a nightmare style matchup for him. And what's people obssession with that right hand Khabib landed? Conor wasn't looking, he was expecting a takedown attempt and got clocked, but it didn't knock him down and it didn't really stun him either. It was just a wild loop but landed well. From some peoples talk you'd swear it a) happened 10s into round 1 and b) Conor was knocked clean out. Nobody has to like McGregor, you can think he's a spanner/scumbag/whatever, but these intensive efforts to undermine and discredit his career based on one fight which wasn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be....I find quite strange to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Homelander wrote: »
    Even if he lost his next 3 fights against high-level opponents like say Justin, Tony and Dustin, as long as he put up a good scrap there'd be no shame in it and his record would end at 21-7 even then. People acting like he's some sort of bum/his legacy is ruined based solely on the Khabib fight when in reality he had decent defense against a nightmare style matchup for him. And what's people obssession with that right hand Khabib landed? Conor wasn't looking, he was expecting a takedown attempt and got clocked, but it didn't knock him down and it didn't really stun him either. It was just a wild loop but landed well. From some peoples talk you'd swear it a) happened 10s into round 1 and b) Conor was knocked clean out. Nobody has to like McGregor, you can think he's a spanner/scumbag/whatever, but these intensive efforts to undermine and discredit his career based on one fight which wasn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be....I find quite strange to say the least.

The reality is 99% of people commenting on MMA haven't a clue. There's no real way to know what the Khabib fight actually means. Khabib may just be that good or Conor's prep may not have been good enough. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I do find the lengths people go to to discredit him a bit pathetic though. He's given more than enough reason to dislike him in the recent past but his accomplishments in the sport can't really be argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The reality is 99% of people commenting on MMA haven't a clue. There's no real way to know what the Khabib fight actually means. Khabib may just be that good or Conor's prep may not have been good enough. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I do find the lengths people go to to discredit him a bit pathetic though. He's given more than enough reason to dislike him in the recent past but his accomplishments in the sport can't really be argued.

But but but mctapper hahahaha mega lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

lola85 wrote: »

Has he bailed?
    He is rumoured to be fighting Khabib's cousin Umar in October for Russian promotion Gorilla Fighting Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

lola85 wrote: »

Has he bailed?
    Also. This.

https://twitter.com/KingMcgregorFC/status/1167453930483142660

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Guy Person wrote: »

Is that mcgregor jumping into the background of the shot? Hopping into the ring after his fights isn't enough, he even tries to steal Artems thunder after his victories on the dance floor :D

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Is that mcgregor jumping into the background of the shot? Hopping into the ring after his fights isn't enough, he even tries to steal Artems thunder after his victories on the dance floor :D

In fairness it’s just a bunch of lads acting like apes and knowing the inevitable camera fone is filming. And it’s a wedding so obviously people are drinking. This is from a few weeks ago tho.
    I’m not a fan really of the way Conor goes around with a big posse of mates and hangers on. I understand part of the macho sport of mma and being in the ufc is that you celebrate publicly with your gang. But I wish he could keep his private life to himself the way other world elite sports stars like Messi, Ronaldo, Lebron, Brady do. I used to think Mcgregor was a mentality giant as Juergen Klopp would say based on his performance up to 2016, but now I think he is very mentally unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

In fairness it’s just a bunch of lads acting like apes and knowing the inevitable camera fone is filming. And it’s a wedding so obviously people are drinking. This is from a few weeks ago tho.
    I’m not a fan really of the way Conor goes around with a big posse of mates and hangers on. I understand part of the macho sport of mma and being in the ufc is that you celebrate publicly with your gang. But I wish he could keep his private life to himself the way other world elite sports stars like Messi, Ronaldo, Lebron, Brady do. I used to think Mcgregor was a mentality giant as Juergen Klopp would say based on his performance up to 2016, but now I think he is very mentally unstable.

It's just that he had that aura around him that he was unbeatable. That unshakable confidence. It was eroded slightly when he lost to Nate, but that could've been put down to ill preparation or moving up in weight divisions, or maybe even a fluke. He beat Nate, then destroyed Eddie and it was back, but I think when he spoke with certainty that he could beat Floyd it just seemed slightly delusional (although some people bought it). After that everyone just had to stop believing the impossible was possible.. The Khabib fight just cemented that. Don't get me wrong, he was still a phenomenal fighter, but the aura is dead and buried. And that was part of the magic that'll never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still Ill wrote: »
    It's just that he had that aura around him that he was unbeatable. That unshakable confidence. It was eroded slightly when he lost to Nate, but that could've been put down to ill preparation or moving up in weight divisions, or maybe even a fluke. He beat Nate, then destroyed Eddie and it was back, but I think when he spoke with certainty that he could beat Floyd it just seemed slightly delusional (although some people bought it). After that everyone just had to stop believing the impossible was possible.. The Khabib fight just cemented that. Don't get me wrong, he was still a phenomenal fighter, but the aura is dead and buried. And that was part of the magic that'll never return.
    But people believing in that sort of magic are, well, a bit clueless.
    Even over his undefeated FW run. Conor lost rounds. Maybe only 1 but anyone that loses a round is not unbeatable in this sport, especially as they move up weight.

Conor said he was going to beat Mayweather. That doesn't mean he delusional, it doesn't even mean he believed it. The delusional ones are the fans who swallowed it. (and obviously a lot were just cheering along, but knew the odds).

Conor does a lot of stupid things. He lacks common sense. But he know far more about combat sports than the average fight fan. Most of this attention went into his boxing. The suggestion that he wasn't aware of a multiple world champs ability is insane.
    I'm sure he believed he could catch him. He's self believe is definitely dialed up to 12. But I doubt he thought it was remotely within his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana's talking Dec 14th for conor in vegas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

dave1982 wrote: »

Who would likely opponent be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Who would likely opponent be?

Mentioned Justin gaethje

https://youtu.be/0OuoCXNr3OU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dave1982 wrote: »

Where abouts is Vegas in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gaethje or Porrier

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is he really gonna be co-maining to Nunes GDR? I can't see it happening and i can't see his non title fight going top of the card either. Would love if it's true though, either Justin or Dustin would be a great scrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Can't see McGregor giving in on this main event issue, even though a 3 round fight would massively suit him at this point.

Advertisement