Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t really understand a lot of Conor’s twitter/street talk as I’m in my 40s, and not a fan of Drake, hanging around in tracksuit gangs and saying yup yup. I think most people his age and younger will look back in 10 years time and cringe at the stupid things they do online.
    Khabib and Poirer don’t go down this road at al, they just proud family men doing what they do to earn as much for their families as they can. Ferguson is a different type of character and is just doing his own thing, and is much admired from it.
    I think Conor something went very wrong from a PR perspective with Conor since the Mayweather fight. Am surprised that kavanagh, and I think he is a slimey arrogant fella, but still surprised he didn’t have the influence to step in and stop it before it happened. The whole world could see that Conor was acting like a complete tit and he needed to be reigned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

That's the Columbian sugar talking..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don’t really understand a lot of Conor’s twitter/street talk as I’m in my 40s, and not a fan of Drake, hanging around in tracksuit gangs and saying yup yup. I think most people his age and younger will look back in 10 years time and cringe at the stupid things they do online.
    Khabib and Poirer don’t go down this road at al, they just proud family men doing what they do to earn as much for their families as they can. Ferguson is a different type of character and is just doing his own thing, and is much admired from it.
    I think Conor something went very wrong from a PR perspective with Conor since the Mayweather fight. Am surprised that kavanagh, and I think he is a slimey arrogant fella, but still surprised he didn’t have the influence to step in and stop it before it happened. The whole world could see that Conor was acting like a complete tit and he needed to be reigned it.

Jesus your in your 40s. Wouldn't think it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I still haven’t seen it in any shop in Ireland outside of airport.

It's in loads of off licences. There's no real point in buying it as you can get better whiskey for less money.
    Still surprised he didn’t have the influence to step in and stop it before it happened. The whole world could see that Conor was acting like a complete tit and he needed to be reigned it.

You do know that John Kavanagh is just Conor's coach, right? And he can't make Conor do anything he doesn't want to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't get what McGregor is trying to do with that tweet.

He's slagging off Khabib but the gif is of him on the ground back peddling......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't get what McGregor is trying to do with that tweet.

He's slagging off Khabib but the gif is of him on the ground back peddling......

You need lots of drugs to get the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think a huge amount of this refusal to a rematch from Khabib is purely to try and get more money for a rematch.
    He'll have a few more proper fights first, keep McGregor getting frustrated, then take the easy fight against him to feather his nest before he retires.
    McGregor won't care either as he's only really in it for the money these days anyway.

Edit: Only just listened to the clip in the post above mine after I posted!

rob316 wrote: »
    Jesus your in your 40s. Wouldn't think it

Thanks I’ll take that as a compliment!! My wife says I still look low 20s.

Effects wrote: »
    I think a huge amount of this refusal to a rematch from Khabib is purely to try and get more money for a rematch.
    He'll have a few more proper fights first, keep McGregor getting frustrated, then take the easy fight against him to feather his nest before he retires.
    McGregor won't care either as he's only really in it for the money these days anyway.

Edit: Only just listened to the clip in the post above mine after I posted!

Reckon with Khabib the money is a minor enough factor. He’s already rich beyond his wildest dreams especially in relation to where he’s from. Plus he will fine out from his ufc career for the rest of his life and earn many millions from it, more so if he stays undefeated.
    Conor just crossed so many lines with him, I don’t think he wants to have to listen to those type of insults again. And he knows the biggest punishment he can give Conor now is to deprive him of a rematch.

• Advertisement

I can see him giving him the rematch eventually. But I don't think he'll endure the pressers like he did before so will have something in his contract about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What? An 8 count as in a boxing ref giving a fighter 8 seconds after a knockdown? Is he slagging him for running at him and ****ting at the same time?

First khabibs dad, then khabib and now Conor looking for this fight in Moscow, wouldn't be surprised if it actually happens . **** Tony right?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1181292069911965697?s=19

Has Conor suffered some Concussion that we don't know about? Is He challenging Khabib to a Boxing match or is he trying to pretend that MMA is his top priority again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kavanagh is a bad coach. He just washes his hands off all responsibility and says 'oh, that's just Conor - I can't control him, he can do what he wants'. It's a cheap and easy way out.

Coaching should not be only about fighting technique, they are supposed to manage and guide fighters too.

Kavanagh took a decision some time ago that he preferred the money and exposure over the responsibility of being a proper coach and mentor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Kavanagh is a bad coach. He just washes his hands off all responsibility and says 'oh, that's just Conor - I can't control him, he can do what he wants'. It's a cheap and easy way out.

Coaching should not be only about fighting technique, they are supposed to manage and guide fighters too.

Kavanagh took a decision some time ago that he preferred the money and exposure over the responsibility of being a proper coach and mentor.

Coaches will toss you from the club if they think you're giving them a bad name and rep. Kavanagh is afraid of losing his meal ticket which is why he lets Conor act the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

johnmc76 wrote: »
    Coaches will toss you from the club if they think you're giving them a bad name and rep. Kavanagh is afraid of losing his meal ticket which is why he lets Conor act the fool.

Exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I mean, he's not exactly wrong. He's just his coach, not his da.
    John is paid by Conor to train him and for the use of his gym/facilities, same as anyone else Conor brings in for camps etc. None of them are responsible for him.

I can see him giving him the rematch eventually. But I don't think he'll endure the pressers like he did before so will have something in his contract about it.

I think he will too as it will just be too big a fight not to make.
    I don’t really understand why people are saying Khabib is only a couple of fights from retirement. Surely both of them can fight till they are at least 35, or even as old as 38ish.
    Biggest problem is Conor just seems so messed up and distracted by his lifestyle. Khabib only fought last month and he had a longer layoff from their fight, and he seems to be still training now.
    I saw the foto of the whiskey while he was having his hair cut. Ok it’s all just promotion, but at the same time when he is surrounded by this crazy marketing world around the whiskey, it can’t be good for the lifestyle of an athlete. I hope he can get back into the frame of mind he was for Mayweather, he was so fit for that fight. I still think he has the natural ability to compete, and with the right training and staying away from the booze/party lifestyle, he can get back to where he was.
    Him and Khabib will happen again in 2021.

I think he will too as it will just be too big a fight not to make.
    I don’t really understand why people are saying Khabib is only a couple of fights from retirement. Surely both of them can fight till they are at least 35, or even as old as 38ish.
    Biggest problem is Conor just seems so messed up and distracted by his lifestyle. Khabib only fought last month and he had a longer layoff from their fight, and he seems to be still training now.
    I saw the foto of the whiskey while he was having his hair cut. Ok it’s all just promotion, but at the same time when he is surrounded by this crazy marketing world around the whiskey, it can’t be good for the lifestyle of an athlete. I hope he can get back into the frame of mind he was for Mayweather, he was so fit for that fight. I still think he has the natural ability to compete, and with the right training and staying away from the booze/party lifestyle, he can get back to where he was.
    Him and Khabib will happen again in 2021.
    Being able to fight and wanting to are very different things.
    Khabib may well hit 30-0 and think, right that's all folks.

What do we do when there is no Conor?? Yes ufc is great and there will still be great fights and a vents, and crazy characters to follow, but they won’t be Irish. Conor was a one in a lifetime achiever, maybe even a one in history. There is nothing coming after him from Ireland. Kavanagh is just a sell out going to his stupid minor events, he won the lotto with Conor and it’s paying for his mediocrity now.

What do we do when there is no Conor?? Yes ufc is great and there will still be great fights and a vents, and crazy characters to follow, but they won’t be Irish. Conor was a one in a lifetime achiever, maybe even a one in history. There is nothing coming after him from Ireland. Kavanagh is just a sell out going to his stupid minor events, he won the lotto with Conor and it’s paying for his mediocrity now.
    Same thing we did before him, watch MMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Kavanagh is an MMA coach, not a life coach. He's correct and right when he says "thats just Conor, I can't control him".

Conors ego is so big that he'd listen to nobody. In fact, he'd probably do the opposite.

Conor has a separate manager, if your looking to point fingers, do so at him.

I saw the foto of the whiskey while he was having his hair cut. Ok it’s all just promotion, but at the same time when he is surrounded by this crazy marketing world around the whiskey, it can’t be good for the lifestyle of an athlete.

He has to market it like that if he wants to make money out of it.
    Irish Distillers spend €200,000,000 a year on marketing their products and Jameson accounts for 96% of all their sales.

Conor has to do everything he can to flog his booze so will take any opportunity to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

He has to market it like that if he wants to make money out of it.
    Irish Distillers spend €200,000,000 a year on marketing their products and Jameson accounts for 96% of all their sales.

Conor has to do everything he can to flog his booze so will take any opportunity to promote it.

I can see the odd clown thinking they are ballers buying a bottle, but that's a small market and won't help build the brand. He missed a opportunity to create a more upmarket Whiskey that people who actually drink whiskey regularly would buy. Anyone I know that tasted it say the same thing "It tastes cheap", It's Bushmills and it's a typical €20 Whiskey being sold for €35. I'd say the initail hype has calmed down and now they have cases of this stuff to shift. He hasn't moved into all territories yet and each time he does he'll create a buzz, but it won't do well longterm, unless he improved the quality of it. I can see it being one of those drinks you see in Off Licences with dust on it. He may make a short term profit out of it, depending on how much he has in stock. He might even have to see alot of it before it returns a profit in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Kavanagh is just a sell out going to his stupid minor events
    How can he be a sellout while also going to minor events? He is supporting grass roots (for lack of a better term) MMA in Ireland

I can see the odd clown thinking they are ballers buying a bottle, but that's a small market and won't help build the brand. He missed an opportunity to create a more upmarket Whiskey that people who actually drink whiskey regularly would buy. It's Bushmills and it's a typical €20 Whiskey being sold for €35.

That's the market he's aiming for though. He even has people buying whiskey that wouldn't normally buy whiskey. Jameson is huge in the U.S. and it's mainly down to people doing it in a shot. If he made an upmarket whiskey it wouldn't have sold as well.
    There's nothing wrong with a whiskey coming from Bushmills. A lot of good whiskey is sold with spirit sourced from Bushmills.
    And getting people to pay €35 for a €20 bottle of whiskey sounds like good marketing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Take the Whiskey talk to the Off-Topic Thread

So, is it safe to say Conor's all washed up as a fighter at this point? Hasn't won a fight in years, never had a successful title defence, dropping in the rankings week by week. Everyone wants to fight him for the payday but chances of Conor beating anyone of any ranking is small enough at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

So, is it safe to say Conor's all washed up as a fighter at this point? Hasn't won a fight in years, never had a successful title defence, dropping in the rankings week by week. Everyone wants to fight him for the payday but chances of Conor beating anyone of any ranking is small enough at this stage.

Absolutely not. He still beats most of the top 10 at lightweight imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Esse85 wrote: »
    Kavanagh is an MMA coach, not a life coach. He's correct and right when he says "thats just Conor, I can't control him".

Conors ego is so big that he'd listen to nobody. In fact, he'd probably do the opposite.

Conor has a separate manager, if your looking to point fingers, do so at him.

Yet Kavanagh will take all the praise for visiting teenage McGregor at his house to try to talk him to coming back to the gym after his Ma called.

If Kavanagh was the decent bloke he pretends to be then he wouldn’t have a blatant scumbag continue to train in his gym.

• Advertisement

Kavanagh owes pretty much everything he has to Mcgregor.

Advertisement