Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not sure if he'll fight again but if he does I'd expect him to fight at feather. I think a rematch with Holloway is his most likely fight if he gets back in the octagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he'll fight again but if he does I'd expect him to fight at feather. I think a rematch with Holloway is his most likely fight if he gets back in the octagon.

He'll never fight at 145 again i promise you that. The Holloway fight is the fight I want to see most though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He'll never fight at 145 again i promise you that. The Holloway fight is the fight I want to see most though.

Conor has said plenty of times he will be fighting again. He seemed to be training a lot up to a month or 2 ago, then got the wrist injury which seems to have derailed a possible comeback in September or October. Even Dana said last week it could be early next year before he is back. Who knows, would be great if he headlined MSG in November or Vegas at end of year, otherwise we’re probably looking at March. As crazy as it sounds, he could fight masvudal fir the 165lb belt. That fight will break ppv records. Although I think the fight that makes most sense for him is a 155 title decider vs Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Conor has said plenty of times he will be fighting again. He seemed to be training a lot up to a month or 2 ago, then got the wrist injury which seems to have derailed a possible comeback in September or October. Even Dana said last week it could be early next year before he is back. Who knows, would be great if he headlined MSG in November or Vegas at end of year, otherwise we’re probably looking at March. As crazy as it sounds, he could fight masvudal fir the 165lb belt. That fight will break ppv records. Although I think the fight that makes most sense for him is a 155 title decider vs Ferguson.

I do think he'll fight again, just not at 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Useless but impressive stat.

Conor's the only fighter in UFC history to average 1+ knockdowns per fight.

Not sure if that can be correct; unless coding was retrospectively done for older fights in the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Useless but impressive stat.

Conor's the only fighter in UFC history to average 1+ knockdowns per fight.

Impressive to a degree but it means they got back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure if that can be correct; unless coding was retrospectively done for older fights in the company.
    It’s easy to verify that it’s true for Conor.
    Who are you thinking could be up there?
    The Nal wrote: »
    Impressive to a degree but it means they got back up.
    No it doesn’t :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I assume you're thinking of the Khabib fight?
    That's why it's an average and not x knockdowns per fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Think he knocked Diaz down about 6 times?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    3 times in the second fight. None in the first.

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »

And Eddie 3 times. Meaning Nate got up 3 times and Eddie got up twice.

Think Conor finished all his other UFC KO wins with the first knockdown?

The Nal wrote: »
    And Eddie 3 times. Meaning Nate got up 3 times and Eddie got up twice.

Think Conor finished all his other UFC KO wins with the first knockdown?
    Yup. Everyone from Brimage to Aldo was knock down once and was finished from that. Max excluded obv.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yup. Everyone from Brimage to Aldo was knock down once and was finished from that. Max excluded obv.

Impressive. What a great few years he had. So exciting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

3 times in the second fight. None in the first.

And recently described him like 'something from the Thriller video' - in that he just kept getting back up

Nah - Was more just wondering how they actually verified it, because there's no way coding fights existed back-in-the-day.

May be correct obv

Nah - Was more just wondering how they actually verified it, because there's no way coding fights existed back-in-the-day.

May be correct obv
    What do you mean by “coding fights”?

What do you mean by “coding fights”?

This for example

https://www.hudl.com/products/sportscode

We use a different system in our place for coding boxing/mma but generally, HUDL is what people use.

That sort of tech didn’t exist back in the day. But it exists now. Retrospective analysis.
    Well I suppose it’s all retrospective, to some degree.

That sort of tech didn’t exist back in the day. But it exists now. Retrospective analysis.
    Well I suppose it’s all retrospective, to some degree.

That’s what I was questioning - have people actually coded historical fights - we have done back as far as about 2003 but nobody pays for the older archives then, so no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Any predictions on his next fight? A lot of potential contenders are currently booked.

• Advertisement

That’s what I was questioning - have people actually coded historical fights - we have done back as far as about 2003 but nobody pays for the older archives then, so no point.
    What line of work are you in? Like, for what reason would I pay you for this info?

UFC/Zuffa have an official stat provider. They’ve gone right back to UFC 1.
    There’s only 40 event before 2003 tbf. Which is like a year worth now.

What line of work are you in? Like, for what reason would I pay you for this info?

UFC/Zuffa have an official stat provider. They’ve gone right back to UFC 1.
    There’s only 40 event before 2003 tbf. Which is like a year worth now.

Sports Data/Analytics

For what it's worth we are the biggest data providers in the world.

For MMA we sell to media companies/betting companies/fantasy gaming companies etc

For Soccer/Rugby etc we sell the the above as-well-as Pro sports Leagues and Teams

I'd be surprised if they haven't gone back over the earlier events. It still catches me out that Lesnar debuted at UFC 81, I'd been watching for years at that stage and get surprised that it's at 240 now. With extra fight nights and all I can't believe they wouldn't at some stage have gone back over the few dozen earlier events.

I'd be surprised if they haven't gone back over the earlier events. It still catches me out that Lesnar debuted at UFC 81, I'd been watching for years at that stage and get surprised that it's at 240 now. With extra fight nights and all I can't believe they wouldn't at some stage have gone back over the few dozen earlier events.

Ya true - Only reason we generally go back for historic data is if a client specifically requests a certain fight/event, but maybe a deal they have with their providers is that they also did historical events with 'top tier' coding probably (all punches/kicks etc)

Ya true - Only reason we generally go back for historic data is if a client specifically requests a certain fight/event, but maybe a deal they have with their providers is that they also did historical events with 'top tier' coding probably (all punches/kicks etc)
    They’ve done every event. I checked there.
    It’s just basic stats though.

Significant/Total strikes. Landed and thrown. By target. By position.
    Takedowns. Knockdowns. Submissions. Passes.
    Totals and Round by round.

I’m sure paying for it gets more detailed stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭creeper1

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Any predictions on his next fight? A lot of potential contenders are currently booked.

Don’t think he wants to retire on the low note of being defeated by khabib however with khabib saying he wants to see some kind of winning streak from McGregor before a rematch and really no easy fights out there the smart thing might be to retire.

They’ve done every event. I checked there.
    It’s just basic stats though.

Significant/Total strikes. Landed and thrown. By target. By position.
    Takedowns. Knockdowns. Submissions. Passes.
    Totals and Round by round.

I’m sure paying for it gets more detailed stats.

Cool

We do more in depth than that post-fight.

Live, we do as much as physically possible pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

creeper1 wrote: »
    Don’t think he wants to retire on the low note of being defeated by khabib however with khabib saying he wants to see some kind of winning streak from McGregor before a rematch and really no easy fights out there the smart thing might be to retire.

No easy fights out there. Lots of interesting ones though. Max, Nate, Tony even Masvidal are all interesting matchups. The Jorge fight may be a bit fanciful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He did post an image of himself landing a blow on Max last week on Instagram. That might be him trying to get something going.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He did post an image of himself landing a blow on Max last week on Instagram. That might be him trying to get something going.

I'm in the US at the moment, and didn't check out his Insta but *think* that may have been related to "Detail". Just aired on ESPN+ this or last week - it's a 1 hour show where Daniel Cormier takes the three key McGregor showstopper fights against Max, Siver and Alvarez and breaks down Conor's technique. The whole show is DC narrating to slow-mos of the 3 fights, and basically talks up Conor's distance control through footwork, boxing movement (defensive slips etc) and touches on where he went wrong and right grappling. Was very very good. Nothing new or ground breaking to expose but solid and very entertaining.

Felt a tad nostalgic really but worth a watch.

Advertisement