Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

His age is irrelevant cowboy always shat himself in the biggest fights and quits easily

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

US2 wrote: »
    His age is irrelevant cowboy always shat himself in the biggest fights and quits easily

His age/years/ miles on the clock are all relevant when assessing him as an MMA fighter right now..

Unless you want to claim that a 37 year old shopworn Cowboy is no different to the man from 8-10 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Conor arguably looked in the best shape of his career and weighed in exactly on the limit.
    There is no basis for your assumption that a regular 170 fighter would beat him due to size.
    Fighters weighing in at 170 aren’t 170 in the cage.

Conor was max 175.
    A big 170 lbs fighter is 190 .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

When did he suddenly become an old man, was it when he lost to Gaethje? Ferguson? I presume it was after he went the distance with and beat Iaquinta?

Cowboy has lost to every top fighter he has ever fought ,
    Henderon ,Diaz, Pettis, RDA ,Masvidal ,Lawor, Till ,Edwars,Ferguson, Gathje , Conor

Every single top guy he fought has beat him ,
    He is the ultimate gate keeper to the top level,

Conor beating him is no big deal at all,

Ferguson stopped him in the 2nd,
    Next fight Gathje stopped him in the 1st ,
    Next fight Conor stopped him quicker,

Can you see a pattern ?
    Getting stopped quicker each time, Time has taken its toll on him his style and willingness to fight so often don't help either , Your chin only gets worse,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can you see a pattern ? Getting stopped quicker each time, Time has taken its toll on him his style and willingness to fight so often don't help either , Your chin only gets worse,
    Wanna go back before he fought three of the top guys in the division? Iaquinta, Hernandez, Perry, loss to Edwards over the distance and Madeiros. That's four wins in five fights.
    You say time has taken it's toll on him but you have to look at who beat him. How many fighters are winning one of those three fights against McGregor, Gaethje and Ferguson?

• Advertisement

Wanna go back before he fought three of the top guys in the division? Iaquinta, Hernandez, Perry, loss to Edwards over the distance and Madeiros. That's four wins in five fights.
    You say time has taken it's toll on him but you have to look at who beat him. How many fighters are winning one of those three fights against McGregor, Gaethje and Ferguson?

In what world are Perry and Hernandez top WWs?
    I'll give you Al but again that was at a time. When Al had one foot out of the game

In what world are Perry and Hernandez top WWs?
    I'll give you Al but again that was at a time. When Al had one foot out of the game

In what world are Perry and Hernandez top WWs? I'll give you Al but again that was at a time. When Al had one foot out of the game

I never said they were top welterweights.
    The question I asked you was how many fighters are coming out of three fights with Ferguson, Gaethje and McGregor with one win?
    If you accept that it's highly unlikely that most come out of those three fights with a win then you have no basis for claiming that Cowboy is done or even any worse than he's ever been.

I never said they were top welterweights.
    The question I asked you was how many fighters are coming out of three fights with Ferguson, Gaethje and McGregor with one win?
    If you accept that it's highly unlikely that most come out of those three fights with a win then you have no basis for claiming that Cowboy is done or even any worse than he's ever been.

My point is he's never been great to begin with lost every big fight against a top guy he's ever fought bar Al and even a broke clock is right twice a day,
    Losing 3 in a row each quicker than the last is hardly signs of improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Cerrone is a gatekeeper, but a gatekeeper by UFC standards. He's still a good, high level fighter, just not champion material. He's capable of beating anyone, but the odds are heavily against him fighting almost anyone in the top 10.

There are loads of fighters just like him in the division that will always have a place in the roster, but will never amount to anything other than being in the top 15.

And that's commendable in itself and they've still 'made it' big time. Anyone who can make, and consistently stay, in the top 15 in the UFC is a generally elite fighter regardless.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Cerrone is a gatekeeper, but a gatekeeper by UFC standards. He's still a good, high level fighter, just not champion material. He's capable of beating anyone, but the odds are heavily against him fighting almost anyone in the top 10.

There are loads of fighters just like him in the division that will always have a place in the roster, but will never amount to anything other than being in the top 15.

And that's commendable in itself and they've still 'made it' big time. Anyone who can make, and consistently stay, in the top 15 in the UFC is a generally elite fighter regardless.

Nail on the head there ,Basically if you beat Cowboy you have a chance of beaten the top guys

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

UFC lost a lot of money due to Covid19. McGregor is a big money maker, i would expect he will get the next shot for the title, big money will be made , Ferguson will be side stepped , a injury real or faked will happen in his next fight to clear the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Probably be CM Punk next for him LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Cowboy has lost to every top fighter he has ever fought ,
    Henderon ,Diaz, Pettis, RDA ,Masvidal ,Lawor, Till ,Edwars,Ferguson, Gathje , Conor

Every single top guy he fought has beat him ,
    He is the ultimate gate keeper to the top level,

How about

Charles Oliveira
    Edson Barboza
    Eddie Alvarez
    Benson Henderson

mdwexford wrote: »
    How about

Charles Oliveira
    Edson Barboza
    Eddie Alvarez
    Benson Henderson

Henderson beat him twice in his prime ,was on the slide when Cowboy beat him ,

Oliveira was 9 years ago he was 21 (not what he is today ) and in the middle of losing 4 in 6

Barboza is great fighter to watch but is a gatekeeper like a Cowboy but ia gree you have to be good to beat him

I forgot he fought Eddie that probably his best win , Eddie is another hit and miss fighter but defo can be top tier when he is on it ,

Cowboy is better than 80 % of fighter in the world in his weight but he crumbles when he fights the top guys more often than not ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭The White Feather

According to Dana here Conor wants to fight on Fight island (probably just trying to create hype for it!)

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1257779507504615424?s=20

Cowboy is better than 80 % of fighter in the world in his weight but he crumbles when he fights the top guys more often than not ,

How many LW fighters, in the world and in the UFC are better than Cowboy.
    Not a lot, when you look at how many there are in either group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It would be very funny if Ferguson misses weight today after passing 2 weeks ago. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

It would be very funny if Ferguson misses weight today after passing 2 weeks ago. Lol.

What's that got to do with McGregor?

Conor trying to see if he can get it on with Oscar de la House now. Oscar was on a podcast and the last question asked was if he met McGregor right now in a boxing ring, 10 round fight and he said two rounds.
    McGregor says on Twitter challenge accepted. De la Hoya seems like he's trying to backtrack now without losing face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think the rumours are true and McGregor defiantly ducked the Gaethje fight to take on a washed up tin can in Cowboy Cerrone.

Mcgregor never even interacted on twitter with Gaethje or used his name. Safe to say he only want to fight the likes of Diaz, Masvidal, and boxing exhibitions with out of shape pensioners from now on. He dont want that violence.

ricero wrote:
    Think the rumours are true and McGregor defiantly ducked the Gaethje fight to take on a washed up tin can in Cowboy Cerrone.
    Mcgregor never even interacted on twitter with Gaethje or used his name. Safe to say he only want to fight the likes of Diaz, Masvidal, and boxing exhibitions with out of shape pensioners from now on. He dont want that violence.
    Nonsense, its about money. Cowboy was a bigger draw than Gaethje.
    Gaethje is now a big draw so you'll see interest from Conor if he can't light a fire on the de la Hoya thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Very surprised he didn't try harder to take the Tony fight, he would have obliterated Tony judging on last nights performance and it would have sent his stock even further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Doff wrote: »
    Very surprised he didn't try harder to take the Tony fight, he would have obliterated Tony judging on last nights performance and it would have sent his stock even further up.

In fairness he can't really predict that Tony is gonna have an off night however I do agree it would have defo raised Conors stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

ricero wrote: »

Mcgregor did mention Justin in an interview before saying he has him on a list but I agree Justin would.be a serious challenge for.him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nonsense, its about money. Cowboy was a bigger draw than Gaethje.
    Gaethje is now a big draw so you'll see interest from Conor if he can't light a fire on the de la Hoya thing.

Light a fire for a boxing match with a washed up has-been in De Le Hoya lol

Mcgregor dont want no sharks in the mma world like Gaehtje or Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

In fairness he can't really predict that Tony is gonna have an off night however I do agree it would have defo raised Conors stock.

Agreed but Tony has been hittable in his last few fights and I would imagine a lot of his camp would have been around dealing with a wrestler. I just think its a huge opportunity missed for Conor to have justified another title shot. Although he will probably still get the title shot.

ricero wrote:
    Light a fire for a boxing match with a washed up has-been in De Le Hoya lol
    Mcgregor dont want no sharks in the mma world like Gaehtje or Khabib.
    When are your going to get it? McGregor's all about the greenback. His plan is always the fight that'll make him the most money.
    He already fought Khabib and wants it again for money. He'll knock out Gaethje if he ever meets him.
    Not a chance he'll fight Tony now, he lost a lot more than a fight last night. Nobody will be paying hig money to see fight for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor’s not fighting in an empty arena, he knows his value and it’s way above that. He may well do this island fight if there is a big enough spectator/extravaganza structure around it, like a smaller version of rumble in the jungle or something. I hope this boxing thing with de la hoya goes away, only wanna see him fight in ufc. A win in late summer, early autumn and he can have his title shot at end of year. It’s difficult to pick who he fights next now tho, beating Masvidal and adding another belt to his stock seems like the best move, if he can beat him.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

Masvidal is a much tougher fight than Justin.

Last night was a good performance from Justin the best we've seen from him. Much more restrained and matured, which he badly needed.

But he was knocking the head off a sloppy Tony, he showed nothing that made me think he beats Conor or Khabib. I'd still expect Conor to win on the feet and Khabib to get it to the ground.
    Maybe Justin could use his background to takedown Conor and impose his will, or could stay standing verses Khabib. But we just haven't seen it yet.

Advertisement