Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    An empty arena makes a lot more money that no arena.

This is the key thing - everyone's belt has to tighten a bit, even if it is all relative in the context of multimillionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

UFC 249 cancelled now anyway, hopefully they try make Khabib and Tony again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Doff wrote: »
    UFC 249 cancelled now anyway, hopefully they try make Khabib and Tony again.

Trying to make it again might bring about a nuclear war!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some footage of an academy visit whilst in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

featherweight would kill him now

The negatives would likely outweigh the positive returns.

It would be a long road to make the weight while minimising effect on his performance, and there certainly would be and effect on performance

155 I think is his best weight class at this stage of his career. Either that or fighter another potential 155lber at walk around weight i'e 170.

I would much prefer if weight cutting was done away with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Irrelevant non-MMA posts moved..usual charter rules apply there too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just moved another bunch of posts..it's a pretty easy set of rules to follow folks. Use some common sense instead of creating needless work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Some footage of an academy visit whilst in Ukraine.

[/QUOTE]

Fair play to Conor here its a day none of the kids will forget. When you are in his position, small acts of kindness and motivation can be life changing for those kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Him and Sinead O Connor having a bit of a tiff on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Ush1 wrote: »
    Him and Sinead O Connor having a bit of a tiff on Twitter.

I think after his performance against Stena Line he should have waited a bit longer before taking on a new opponent. He was clearly fatigued and not as aggressive as we are used to. Personally I think that was a 10-8 to Sinead but I feel he would definitely do much better in a rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Axwell's gonna have an aneurism. It's been discussed already in the off topic thread.

Who do we reckon the opponent will be whenever the restrictions are lifted?
    Gaethje would be the logical choice.
    I'd like to see him fight another person before getting a title shot though. Dustin rematch would be good as well, given how impressive he has been lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I've little interest in seeing him face Dustin tbh. Feel it would have the same outcome as the first fight. I'd like to see him fight Tony or Gaethje. I think he'd be too much for Gaethje, but would still be a fun one. Have no idea what would happen against Tony. McGregor hits hard and Tony gets hits a lot, but if Tony survives the first round he's a nightmare matchup for Conor with his constant forward pressure and Conor's questionable cardio.

If he beat Tony he'd certainly deserve another shot at Khabib. But this division moves at glacial speed and Conor's busy running the country, so who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Still Ill wrote: »
    I've little interest in seeing him face Dustin tbh. Feel it would have the same outcome as the first fight. I'd like to see him fight Tony or Gaethje. I think he'd be too much for Gaethje, but would still be a fun one. Have no idea what would happen against Tony. McGregor hits hard and Tony gets hits a lot, but if Tony survives the first round he's a nightmare matchup for Conor with his constant forward pressure and Conor's questionable cardio.

If he beat Tony he'd certainly deserve another shot at Khabib. But this division moves at glacial speed and Conor's busy running the country, so who knows what will happen.
    Dustin has improved massively since their first fight, I think it'd be an interesting one.
    Gaethje fight, Conor would probably get the win, but Gaethje has nasty leg kicks and Conor's wide stance leaves that lead leg wide open.

Tony hit's surprisingly hard as well, it's not that he has a lot of power in his shots, he just has shovels for hands.

Reason I didn't mention Tony initially is he should be fighting Khabib next, before any other fight. The fact he was offered Gaethje, and accepted, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I guess he has to get paid. He could hang around til after Ramadan in the hope the Khabib fight finally happens, but what happens if it doesn't? He's getting on in years, so who knows how many big pay days he has left in him. The ideal scenario is he beats Gaethje and has a quick turnaround and fights (and beats) Khabib later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Doff wrote: »
    I think after his performance against Stena Line he should have waited a bit longer before taking on a new opponent. He was clearly fatigued and not as aggressive as we are used to. Personally I think that was a 10-8 to Sinead but I feel he would definitely do much better in a rematch.

He's moved onto Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cards handed out..keep ignoring the posts and it will keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He's moved onto Ryanair.

How did I get a warning for that?

Amyway fair enough won't do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

So Khabib next fight will be vs winner of Tony/Gatchge. Who will Conor fight the loser of T/G?? And then another crack at Khabib at end of year. Or will it be Diaz 3?? Or will he pursue the 170 title?? Seems he has become heavily involved in fighting the Coronavirus as I predicted few weeks back before I was rudely interrupted from this forum!!

Wow Cerrone is back already on May 9th after the absolute bashing Conor gave him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Wow Cerrone is back already on May 9th after the absolute bashing Conor gave him.

Only 3 months between his TKO losses to Ferguson and Gaethje last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pettis is a good fight for him as well, very winnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Homelander wrote: »
    Pettis is a good fight for him as well, very winnable.

Just like the first time...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There really isn't anybody for him to fight with Tony and Gaethje going at it and the winner facing Khabib.
    There's nobody in the division he can face that will help his ranking. I think Diaz 3 is more likely at welterweight. He could fight Leon Edwards or Masvidal. I can't believe Masvidal is ranked ahead of Woodley. Get that fight on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There really isn't anybody for him to fight with Tony and Gaethje going at it and the winner facing Khabib.
    There's nobody in the division he can face that will help his ranking. I think Diaz 3 is more likely at welterweight. He could fight Leon Edwards or Masvidal. I can't believe Masvidal is ranked ahead of Woodley. Get that fight on.

A rematch vs Poirier or Holloway would also be a great fight. But probably now is the ideal time to have the Diaz 3 headline in Vegas in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

A rematch vs Poirier or Holloway would also be a great fight. But probably now is the ideal time to have the Diaz 3 headline in Vegas in July.

I've read it will be on fight island

I've read it will be on fight island

Is this where Kong lives??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You missing a really obvious match up there.
    I him, you literally mention only 4 people. The match up makes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You've lost me there Mellor. Maybe auto-correct got the better of you?

I only mention four, Masvidal is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

You've lost me there Mellor. Maybe auto-correct got the better of you?

The loser of Ferguson v Gaethje surely

Advertisement