Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

eagle eye wrote: »
    You've lost me there Mellor. Maybe auto-correct got the better of you?

I only mention four, Masvidal is it?

Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 37,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The loser of Ferguson v Gaethje surely
    The loser of that is a forgotten man for 18 months. Only people that'll want to fight him are those behind him in the rankings. Gaethje is currently ranked behind Conor, and if he loses to Tony he'll likely drop a few more spots.
    Conor is ranked three at lightweight and five at welterweight.
    I don't get why Tony loses his fight against Khabib if he loses to Gaethje. He has already earned his title shot and just because it was cancelled over covid-19 shouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've lost me there Mellor. Maybe auto-correct got the better of you?

I only mention four, Masvidal is it?
    You refer to 4 in the section I quoted.
    Conor, Tony, Justin, Khabib.

I'm not sure how to concluded none of those are available because the winner is fighting Khabib. The loser will be available.

Mellor wrote:
    I'm not sure how to concluded none of those are available because the winner is fighting Khabib. The loser will be available.
    Yeah, I don't see how the loser, well if Gaethje loses, is a good fight for Conor. It doesn't really help him in any way. It's not a very attractive fight either.
    I think outside of Khabib and Tony that Diaz 3, Masvidal and Leon Edwards are the biggest fights, realistic fights that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yeah, I don't see how the loser, well if Gaethje loses, is a good fight for Conor. It doesn't really help him in any way. It's not a very attractive fight either.
    I think outside of Khabib and Tony that Diaz 3, Masvidal and Leon Edwards are the biggest fights, realistic fights that is.

I'm sorry, but if you think McGregor vs Edwards makes more sense than McGregor vs Gaethje I don't know what to tell you.

I think the Gaethje fight could be fantastic. Keeps him relevant, if he wins he surely fights either Khabib or if they finally get Ferguson v Khabib to happen then fights whoever wins that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Gaethje has a pretty decent highlight reel to be fair, they could really hype up that fight. Shame it would be a first round knockout for McGregor though.

As a total outsider opponent I wouldn't mind seeing him fight wonderboy at welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

McGregor wont fight anyone until khabib fights the winner of gathje v Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He’s still training a lot, and not going on any crazy benders. He will fight in summer or August if things are back to normal. He’s a completely different fella this year to past 3 years. He can fight Khabib or whoever is champ after his next fight, towards end of year or in MSG. Tho I think they will look to have him fight Khabib in the new football stadium in Vegas at end of year, provided both keep winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

His next fight could be against 50cent lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Conor is ranked three at lightweight and five at welterweight.

Conor is 14th at WW. You really think they'd put him 5th for beating Cowboy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The winner of that fight is undoubtedly the no.1 contender. Let's say it's Tony.
    But Gaethje can still has claim to be better than Conor. Once Khabib faces Tony, he'll have faced all of the top 5 bar Gaethje.

If Gaethje loses, Conor is definitely his shortcut to Khabib. Makes heaps of sense to me to make that fight.

Talking about WW fights makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Pretty disrespectful comments from Cerrone today about his last fight. He should just have said it didn’t go his way and he has learned from it for May 9th. This whole ‘I didn’t wanna be there’ ‘Donald was there but Cowboy wasn’t’ is garbage. He was after Conor fight for years and he got bashed to oblivion from as soon as the bell went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Pretty disrespectful comments from Cerrone today about his last fight. He should just have said it didn’t go his way and he has learned from it for May 9th. This whole ‘I didn’t wanna be there’ ‘Donald was there but Cowboy wasn’t’ is garbage. He was after Conor fight for years and he got bashed to oblivion from as soon as the bell went.

Cowboy generally takes his losses on the chin. Honestly I'd give him a pass after getting crushed in 40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's had so many losses at this stage it's like water off a duck's back. Strange comments though. It sure looked like he didn't want to be there, but that's because he was outclassed. If he couldn't get up for the biggest fight of his career, what's he doing fighting Pettis a few short months later?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Sounded very salty alright. Instead of holding his hands up and saying he was completely outclassed and used it as a learning tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd have said it was a fairly honest assessment of himself.

I'm sure many fighters have those moments where everything gets too much for them and they'd rather be anywhere than in the cage getting punched in the face. At least Cowboy had the stones to admit it happened to him. It's hardly like he cares about the loss, he didn't seem to give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What did Cerrone say? did he say Conor had no business coming up to 155 we're too big too strong ............what about 170??

sonofenoch wrote: »
    what about 170??

They would have weighed about the same if they had the fight at 155, that wasn't a 170 fight, it was a 155 fight minus the weight cut.

An actual 170 fighter would murder Conor.

Tazzimus wrote:
    An actual 170 fighter would murder Conor.
    Conor arguably looked in the best shape of his career and weighed in exactly on the limit.
    There is no basis for your assumption that a regular 170 fighter would beat him due to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What did Cerrone say? did he say Conor had no business coming up to 155 we're too big too strong ............what about 170??

something about knocking the luckycharms out of his mouth

• Advertisement

Conor arguably looked in the best shape of his career and weighed in exactly on the limit.
    There is no basis for your assumption that a regular 170 fighter would beat him due to size.
    That'll be because he usually walks around at about 170.
    Compare that to the likes of Woodley, Usman etc, who I imagine are roughly a good 25-30lbs heavier. Weight classes exist for a reason.
    A WW fighter will not weigh 170 on the night, in the same way that Conor would not weigh 155 for a LW fight.

Maybe some of the smaller WW that don't cut much weight would be a favourable match up, but any of the bigger lads would give him a bad time.
    Same with Khabib staying at 155, if he moved up to 170 he wouldn't be as dominant and his unbeaten streak would likely be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lets be fair he was fighting a guys in Cowboy who himself is to small and not powerful enough to mix it with top WW

Cowboy isn't one for using size or strength it was the perfect opponent at that weight for Conor,

Woodley, Usman, Colby, Masvidal all far to big and powerful and in my opinion Conor will not touch them

Look lets be honest if Conor though he had a chance he would already be signed to fight Masvidal who the smallest of the top WW ,

That fight would make him an absolute fortune and there's that made up belt on the line but he hasn't gone near it,

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Dana White was asked in a reddit AMA yesterday what fight he would love to remake and his answer was Conor v Khabib.

Pretty much every other question was "Why are you red" etc

Lets be fair he was fighting a guys in Cowboy who himself is to small and not powerful enough to mix it with top WW.
    Cowboy isn't one for using size or strength it was the perfect opponent at that weight for Conor,
    Would any too WW have beaten Cowboy more convincingly?
    Woodley, Usman, Colby, Masvidal all far to big and powerful and in my opinion Conor will not touch them
    Where did I say he'd beat Usman or Colby or Woodley?
    Look lets be honest if Conor though he had a chance he would already be signed to fight Masvidal who the smallest of the top WW ,

That fight would make him an absolute fortune and there's that made up belt on the line but he hasn't gone near it,
    Well Masvidal is ranked a lot higher than he should be in my opinion. I think Conor beats Masvidal every time. I don't see it as a huge fight for Conor as it doesn't get him near a title fight and that's what Conor wants. If he is going to take a fight which doesn't get him near a title fight the clear top fight for him is Diaz 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Lets be fair he was fighting a guys in Cowboy who himself is to small and not powerful enough to mix it with top WW

So a top WW would have finished Cerrone in similar fashion............or quicker than 40 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

40 seconds, minutes or hours.....

It matters not a damn.....Cowboy is an old, stale and broken punchbag

Mickey mouse fight....

So a top WW would have finished Cerrone in similar fashion............or quicker than 40 seconds?

Why not?

All it takes is one punch, elbow, kick, knee to end a fight.....

Seen loads of examples....

Cerrone is an old man!!!!

walshb wrote: »
    Why not?

All it takes is one punch, elbow, kick, knee to end a fight.....

Seen loads of examples....

37 is not an old man..

walshb wrote:

When did he suddenly become an old man, was it when he lost to Gaethje? Ferguson? I presume it was after he went the distance with and beat Iaquinta?

• Advertisement

My god. Are we really debating my old man comment.

He’s old and stale for an MMA fighter...been bruised, battered and beaten...

Yes, an old man...

This is in relative terms....in relation to him being a real top current MMA fighter...

Clearly past his best days.....as MMA goes for him, he’s an old man..

He’s not an old man generally speaking...

Advertisement