Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Is anyone else watching BT? It's great watching all these fights back to back like this. It really was an unreal few years and an amazing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Is anyone else watching BT? It's great watching all these fights back to back like this. It really was an unreal few years and an amazing story.

I'm pretending I've never seen them before, pissed with a takeaway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Rory McIlroy had good seats at this fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy had good seats at this fight!

Yea he had a great view of the goat Khabib utterly dominate McGregor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

ricero wrote: »

When he holds two belts he might be in the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ricero wrote: »
    You need new material, low effort these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You need new material, low effort these days.

It's cringey attention seeking. I actually feel second hand embarrassment for him and I'm not exactly a fan of Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So, you have to hand it to Dana...working on securing a private island to host international fights
    Last time I checked, both conor and khabib are "international". Will we see part two in the base of a volcano al a James bond, pretty soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So, you have to hand it to Dana...working on securing a private island to host international fights
    Last time I checked, both conor and khabib are "international". Will we see part two in the base of a volcano al a James bond, pretty soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So much for McGregors "season" lark.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    World pandemics tend to mess up plans a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Could be interesting to see if he fights on Dana's "island".

Could be interesting to see if he fights on Dana's "island".

Doubtful. Tbh I cant support it and I wont be paying for it as I normally do. There will be paramedics and docs there that could be utilised elsewhere and every event sees at least a couple of fighters in hospital. The repercussions could be detrimental to the sport

Doubtful. Tbh I cant support it and I wont be paying for it as I normally do. There will be paramedics and docs there that could be utilised elsewhere and every event sees at least a couple of fighters in hospital. The repercussions could be detrimental to the sport

Not saying I support it either, but money talks.

You would also wonder what Athletic Commission is supporting both the US venue and the "island"?

World pandemics tend to mess up plans a bit...

He clearly had no fight planned regardless of the outbreak.

He clearly had no fight planned regardless of the outbreak.

Really? Source for that?

Really? Source for that?

The way no fight was announced and literally everyone wants to fight him at any weight or notice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The way no fight was announced and literally everyone wants to fight him at any weight or notice.

You're conflating "no fight announced" with "no fight planned".

aloooof wrote: »
    You're conflating "no fight announced" with "no fight planned".

There is a level of conflation obviously. He fought Cerrone in January, if he wanted there could have been a fight announced before the outbreak.

"Planning" is as abstract a concept as "season".

There is a level of conflation obviously. He fought Cerrone in January, if he wanted there could have been a fight announced before the outbreak.

"Planning" is as abstract a concept as "season".

Come on now. There was what 7 weeks between Cowboy and this thing breaking out.

• Advertisement

We're on lockdown, the gym's closed, America had/has cancelled all flights from Europe.
    Why would he even attempt to organise anything in all that?

I'm sure he probably had plans before all this happened, so he's waiting it out, like a sensible person would.

Come on now. There was what 7 weeks between Cowboy and this thing breaking out.

That's plenty of time if he was eager and plenty of guys available.

I get it, it was hype talk. He likes to string people along, it's a clever marketing tool.

We're on lockdown, the gym's closed, America had/has cancelled all flights from Europe.
    Why would he even attempt to organise anything in all that?

I'm sure he probably had plans before all this happened, so he's waiting it out, like a sensible person would.

Yeah, plans are great. I'm sure lots have plans but fighters wanting to be active commit and sign.

I thought that "season" implied a plan. Beat this guy unscathed, which he did, then straight on to this guy, then this guy etc...

A "plan" is all hot air if you're not signing up to fights and getting in there. Again, I think it was a marketing ploy.

I get it, it was hype talk. He likes to string people along, it's a clever marketing tool.

His "season" was 3 fights this year.

- Cerrone January
    - Gaethje June/July
    - Khabib/Ferguson October/November

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah, plans are great. I'm sure lots have plans but fighters wanting to be active commit and sign.

I thought that "season" implied a plan. Beat this guy unscathed, which he did, then straight on to this guy, then this guy etc...

A "plan" is all hot air if you're not signing up to fights and getting in there. Again, I think it was a marketing ploy.

Fair enough. If you're not willing to accept a global pandemic as justification, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The turnaround you are describing is more n line with 5 or 6 fights per year. He said 3 fights. Which means he'd be fighting in July, which would never be announced this early.

I've no idea how stringing along and not fight is clever marketing, as it leaves him without millions in earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Bt showing the full ufc 189 main card now.......**** what a banger of a fight Lawler/McDonald, probably the first ufc card I ever really watched and still this is one of the most intense fights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No way he fights in an empty arena with the gate revenue he generates

US2 wrote: »

I'd say PPV makes him more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

US2 wrote: »

An empty arena makes a lot more money that no arena.

Advertisement