Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

CeilingFly wrote:
    Lough eske castle, Donegal. 5 star luxury. 2nights, incl breakfast, evening drink, dinner credit, use of leisure facilities, 30% off spa, for two people €329 for both - not per person. Rooms approx 600sq ft.

Got a link?

CeilingFly wrote:
    Lough eske castle, Donegal. 5 star luxury. 2nights, incl breakfast, evening drink, dinner credit, use of leisure facilities, 30% off spa, for two people €329 for both - not per person. Rooms approx 600sq ft.

Got a link?

CeilingFly wrote:

Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Plenty of value here too

Too far north for the op I assume

Plenty of value here too

• Advertisement

Plenty of value here too

Plenty of value here too

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Looking at spa breaks could be your best bet. A lot of places aim them to be affordable for a few friends to go on a whim.

Looking at spa breaks could be your best bet. A lot of places aim them to be affordable for a few friends to go on a whim.

• Advertisement

michdee wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on in Ireland at the minute but I'm looking for a one night away a sat, and hotel prices are ridiculous!
    Are there any good sites to use for booking that I'm missing?? All I'm looking for is a decent town and can park the car when we arrive and leave it til we are leaving the next day! Like b&b rates are coming in at 170e up for one night! Looking at Dub, cork, galway, athlone, wexford so it's not that we are set on one area.....Are hotels really gone this expensive

Since you've mentioned a BnB, would you be up for trying Airbnb?

If so, you could get bed and breakfast at a 5/5 rated listing in Cork City for €62 total for one night.

Here is a link to searches in Cork for a Saturday night in the middle of October...

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Cork-City/homes?refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&checkin=2018-10-20&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&toddlers=0&query=Cork%20City&place_id=ChIJAVYETAWQREgRyhONwYeB5us&checkout=2018-10-21&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=OCk6GUHi

Here is a link to the property I mentioned for an example...

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/5267615?location=Cork%20City&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&toddlers=0&check_in=2018-10-20&check_out=2018-10-21&s=OCk6GUHi

Note that I am not related to that property in any way, I've never stayed in it, it was simply the first listing on the random Airbnb search I did according to some info the OP has given.

I am someone who has used Airbnb to find holiday accommodation in both Ireland and abroad. With 10+ uses so far, I've yet to have a negative experience. If you do your research and read the reviews, you shouldn't either.

Away from that, there are spa packages. Hotels which offer a bed, breakfast and/or meal and spa access for a reduced price in their offers section, but these will likely cost more than €170 for a Saturday night stay.

I don't know what's going on in Ireland at the minute but I'm looking for a one night away a sat, and hotel prices are ridiculous!
    Are there any good sites to use for booking that I'm missing?? All I'm looking for is a decent town and can park the car when we arrive and leave it til we are leaving the next day! Like b&b rates are coming in at 170e up for one night! Looking at Dub, cork, galway, athlone, wexford so it's not that we are set on one area.....Are hotels really gone this expensive

If so, you could get bed and breakfast at a 5/5 rated listing in Cork City for €62 total for one night.

Here is a link to searches in Cork for a Saturday night in the middle of October...

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Cork-City/homes?refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&checkin=2018-10-20&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&toddlers=0&query=Cork%20City&place_id=ChIJAVYETAWQREgRyhONwYeB5us&checkout=2018-10-21&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=OCk6GUHi

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/5267615?location=Cork%20City&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&toddlers=0&check_in=2018-10-20&check_out=2018-10-21&s=OCk6GUHi

Note that I am not related to that property in any way, I've never stayed in it, it was simply the first listing on the random Airbnb search I did according to some info the OP has given.

I am someone who has used Airbnb to find holiday accommodation in both Ireland and abroad. With 10+ uses so far, I've yet to have a negative experience. If you do your research and read the reviews, you shouldn't either.

Away from that, there are spa packages. Hotels which offer a bed, breakfast and/or meal and spa access for a reduced price in their offers section, but these will likely cost more than €170 for a Saturday night stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

CeilingFly wrote:

Apples and oranges. 2 nights for 329 versus 4 nights including flights for for 350.

CeilingFly wrote:

Apples and oranges. 2 nights for 329 versus 4 nights including flights for for 350.

CeilingFly wrote:

CeilingFly wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sitting at a pool in Rhodes after paying 900(for 2) for 7 nights ultra all inclusive in a 5* resort, we're being absolutely gouged at home.

• Advertisement

Sitting at a pool in Rhodes after paying 900(for 2) for 7 nights ultra all inclusive in a 5* resort, we're being absolutely gouged at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks all, unfortunately yes donegal area too far for us, although I do love it, but for a night it's a bit far.

Thanks all, unfortunately yes donegal area too far for us, although I do love it, but for a night it's a bit far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Anyway, I eventually managed to get through to someone in the Dublin passport office. It sounds like the only way around this is to make an appointment for an "urgent" application at the London office (even though it's not urgent) and get her UK passport copied there (as also suggested by fxotoole).

Follow-up to this: we made that appointment, got daughter's UK passport copied and returned immediately, and had a day out in London. Payment not taken immediately, and will be in Euros not GBP, but no surcharge for a counter-application either ... other than the cost of each of us getting to London! :rolleyes:

Still seems a bit cumbersome as a process for young adults who have the misfortune to not need/have any other photo ID.

Waiting time 13-15 weeks.

Anyway, I eventually managed to get through to someone in the Dublin passport office. It sounds like the only way around this is to make an appointment for an "urgent" application at the London office (even though it's not urgent) and get her UK passport copied there (as also suggested by fxotoole).

Follow-up to this: we made that appointment, got daughter's UK passport copied and returned immediately, and had a day out in London. Payment not taken immediately, and will be in Euros not GBP, but no surcharge for a counter-application either ... other than the cost of each of us getting to London! :rolleyes:

Still seems a bit cumbersome as a process for young adults who have the misfortune to not need/have any other photo ID.

• Advertisement

Advertisement