Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Wow, you have neighbours, friends, family, aliens and Eskimo...... You know them all and they can do no wrong

Read again - he HAD a neighbour

Better not to feed the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Afterward they went home to play a game of kill the horse with the sulky. Which is where we get pin the tail on the donkey from.

No 1 a lot of them are great horsemen.

No this is not bad for the horse's legs. No they are not trotting weirdly they are pacing. Not all horses can do that gait. These are gaited horses which means TWO things. They are bred for that. And two ..they are SCHOOLED for that. And that ain't easy.

Whoever these people are ...they know a LOT about horses. I might not be a horse expert ..but i know enough to recognize people who are highly skilled. They are. Ireland should get in on international sulky racing imo we WOULD RULE!

They can teach me any day :pac:

Second point ...why is it so many people care more about traveler horses than they do about travelers? Particularly people who know nothing about horses?

Just goes to show in a previous thread. ....when people see what they don't understand ....there can be misconceptions.

We should be proud as a country of Irish traveler horsemanship

Look at these gob****es!

Did you know the Queens Cavalry are possibly the worst cavalry in the world! ??

They give them six weeks courses then give them spurs ..(not against spurs but these people are idiots!)

Its driven me to the conclusion that british people just can't ride. (I KNOW THATS RACIST)

Every other cavalry around the world preserved their horsemanship. The uk went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

No this is not bad for the horse's legs. No they are not trotting weirdly they are pacing. Not all horses can do that gait. These are gaited horses which means TWO things. They are bred for that. And two ..they are SCHOOLED for that. And that ain't easy.

Whoever these people are ...they know a LOT about horses. I might not be a horse expert ..but i know enough to recognize people who are highly skilled. They are. Ireland should get in on international sulky racing imo we WOULD RULE!

Second point ...why is it so many people care more about traveler horses than they do about travelers? Particularly people who know nothing about horses?

Just goes to show in a previous thread. ....when people see what they don't understand ....there can be misconceptions.

I have to admit this is the first time I've ever really properly watched one of these videos and it does show the horses are well trained.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I have to admit this is the first time I've ever really properly watched one of these videos and it does show the horses are well trained.

Compare them to the vast vast majority of Queens cavalry vids....BRITISH PEOPLE CANNOT RIDE!

I don't doubt they taken care of in the stable ..but..like WTF? They are meant to be the best of the best.

The irish army has an equine center. Our guys are much better.

Look at the spanish cavalry there is NO comparison

In other cavalry's around the world they even do elements of classical riding /dressage!

Our guys compete in showjumping etc.

The queen's cavalry needs to be sent to the nearest traveler site to learn how to ride STAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Whoever these people are ...they know a LOT about horses. I might not be a horse expert ..but i know enough to recognize people who are highly skilled. They are. Ireland should get in on international sulky racing imo we WOULD RULE!.

How many laws do you think were broken in that 5 minute clip?

If members of the settled community had an illegal horse race on the N4 and were caught, how many of them do you think would be make appearances in court and be fined?

That's a joke that they can constantly do this on Irish roads, no respect for the law here, yet they shlt themselves in front of the German police as they know that they will feel the full force of the law there for blatant illegal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

The queen's cavalry needs to be sent to the nearest traveler site to learn how to ride STAT.

Big difference between horses obviously in training, getting used to new things and those that have passed the test.

As you’ve said, you’re not a horse expert, you’ll need more than a few YouTube videos to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

We should be proud as a country of Irish traveler horsemanship

Look at these gob****es!

Did you know the Queens Cavalry are possibly the worst cavalry in the world! ??

They give them six weeks courses then give them spurs ..(not against spurs but these people are idiots!)

Its driven me to the conclusion that british people just can't ride. (I KNOW THATS RACIST)

Every other cavalry around the world preserved their horsemanship. The uk went wrong.

What are you trying to say? That video you posted of the horses being chased by the cars is horrible.

And yes. I care more for the animals involved than the vermin abusing them.

Irrespective of their ethnic backgrounds

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Odelay wrote: »
    Big difference between horses obviously in training, getting used to new things and those that have passed the test.

As you’ve said, you’re not a horse expert, you’ll need more than a few YouTube videos to get there.

The Queen take a running fcuk at herself too. It's reprehensible behaviour from anyone.

Sadly our libs in Ireland love the British Monarchy so. It's OK when they do it.

What are you trying to say? That video you posted of the horses being chased by the cars is horrible.

And yes. I care more for the animals involved than the vermin abusing them.

Irrespective of their ethnic backgrounds

They are not being chased by cars you obviously don't know enough about horses to understand. They are being DRIVEN by the driver in the sulky and many horses drive carriages on the roads with cars. Its not a problem.

I don't mean to be offensive. But this is really ignorant comment to make. Please educate yourself.

The cars are a safe enough way from the horses. And its clear the horses are used to them. They are being driven by the driver who has the hands of god imo. Driving a horse in a harness is really hard i've seen it gone really wrong a lot. These guys are experts. And I am not being mean but these guys know WAY more about horses than the average poster on boards.ie including yourself.

Harness racing is huge in the states and they are often raced on the roads.

Who do you think did a better job?

It might not be a good idea to race on the open road but they highly highly skilled i assure you.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    How many laws do you think were broken in that 5 minute clip?

If members of the settled community had an illegal horse race on the N4 and were caught, how many of them do you think would be make appearances in court and be fined?

That's a joke that they can constantly do this on Irish roads, no respect for the law here, yet they shlt themselves in front of the German police as they know that they will feel the full force of the law there for blatant illegal behaviour.

Let them do it legally. Great events. Close the roads for them. Bring crowds.

Odelay wrote: »

I've been riding since i was twelve. :P I may not be an EXPERT but i know what i know. What i am telling you is true.

You just fall for the term Royal and can't tell a good horseman from a dire one.

Middleclass people hate the fact that travelers know more about something than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

john4321 wrote: »

Maybe he is a settled Maughan living in a halting site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I've been riding since i was twelve. :P I may not be an EXPERT but i know what i know. What i am telling you is true.

You just fall for the term Royal and can't tell a good horseman from a dire one.

Middleclass people hate the fact that travelers know more about something than they do.

It's illegal.

The horses are starved and left to die on the side of the road if they fall.

It's illegal.

The horses live in horrible conditions,

It's illegal.

It's illegal.

I care more about the horses than the subhuman backward scum abusing them for money.

It's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Maybe he is a settled Maughan living in a halting site.

I heard he just visits it to dump his rubbish there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Maughan isn't exclusively a Travelers surname.
    I'd a neighbor with the same surname he wasn't a traveler

His address is mentioned in the article. It's a halting site. You can see it for yourself on Google Street View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Maughan isn't exclusively a Travelers surname.
    I'd a neighbor with the same surname he wasn't a traveler

That's the thing though. All Traveller surnames aren't exclusive to the Traveller community: Ward, McDonagh, Mongan, Joyce, etc. There are plenty of ordinary, law-abiding citizens with those surnames. However, when we see a news report about criminality and those surnames are mentioned, we know it is Travellers. Funny that.

It's illegal.

The horses are starved and left to die on the side of the road if they fall.

It's illegal.

The horses live in horrible conditions,

It's illegal.

It's illegal.

I care more about the horses than the subhuman backward scum abusing them for money.

It's illegal.

Its not illegal.

Are you surprised? I bet you are :)

Most horses owned by travelers are looked after.
    Clearly those horses are looked after and REALLY well schooled. Pacing is hard to school. Even in gaited horses.
    And be honest with me would you really have enough experience with horses yourself to be able to tell the difference ?? I am not being funny but it kind of comes across like you don't.
    Clearly there is zero abuse going on in that video. I am riding over ten years.
    Don't call travelers subhuman and vermin. They are doing nothing wrong in that video. The horses look well cared for. They are a good weight their feet look good etc. Well groomed etc.
    Lots of people ride their horses out on the road.
    Of course some horses are abused. By settled people rich people etc but people don't see it because they don't know enough to know the diff they just know travelers BAD and they show themselves up as people you should not listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

retalivity wrote: »
    I heard he just visits it to dump his rubbish there

Sure don't we all?! How else would the rubbish logically get there?

• Advertisement

Its not illegal.

Are you surprised? I bet you are :)

Most horses owned by travelers are looked after.
    Clearly those horses are looked after and REALLY well schooled. Pacing is hard to school. Even in gaited horses.
    And be honest with me would you really have enough experience with horses yourself to be able to tell the difference ?? I am not being funny but it kind of comes across like you don't.
    Clearly there is zero abuse going on in that video. I am riding over ten years.
    Don't call travelers subhuman and vermin. They are doing nothing wrong in that video. The horses look well cared for. They are a good weight their feet look good etc. Well groomed etc.
    Lots of people ride their horses out on the road.
    Of course some horses are abused. By settled people rich people etc but people don't see it because they don't know enough to know the diff they just know travelers BAD and they show themselves up as people you should not listen to.

Cool, let me just get some horses without licenses and about 50 cars and take over the motorway and speed down it for an hour without a care in the world.

Since it's perfectly legal.

Cool, let me just get some horses without licenses and about 50 cars and take over the motorway and speed down it for an hour without a care in the world.

Since it's perfectly legal.

Its legal....there are calls to make it illegal but currently technically its legal.

Giving out licenses for it might be better than banning it though.

The state can build a harness racetrack etc.

And they do have licenses.
    The Act tasks local autho
    rities with establishing bye
    -
    laws and ‘control areas’,
    areas to which bye
    -
    laws apply. In the control areas, a horse owner must have a
    license f
    or every horse that they own.
    A licence normally lasts for a year.
    T
    his
    license can be revoked if a horse offenc
    e has been committed. Horses without
    licenses in control areas can be impounded and in order to retrieve a horse
    from a pound the horse owner must pay a penalty and must show they have
    access to land registered as equine premises.
    The local authority keeps
    a
    publicly available register of all licences issued.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/TravellerHorseOwnershipResearchReport180718.pdf

Its legal....there are calls to make it illegal but currently technically its legal.

Giving out licenses for it might be better than banning it though.

The state can build a harness racetrack etc.

The state can build a prison instead of handing out suspended sentences.

I think its awesome and we should build facilities for it instead of banning it.

Horse racing gets lots of state sponsorship why should this?

I bet horse racing was an underground thing at one point!
    The state can build a prison instead of handing out suspended sentences.

Lemme guess in phoenix park?

Sulky racing is too awesome to be banned. Some people are just killjoys or jealous at the skill level shown.

We could incorporate it into horse racing etc!

Horse racing gets lots of state sponsorship why should this?

Because it's cruel and dangerous.

Because it's cruel and dangerous.

What is cruel and why? Be really specific.

No more cruel than any other sulky race tbh.

Build them a track then. Like in the states.

All this subversion just makes it cooler.

You could argue this is safer than on a track as there are only two horses to control. Probably way more accidents on normal sulky tracks.

You should look at stats on horse deaths in different horse sports. They don't look the way you think.

Things like dressage and eventing are like up the top.

Dressage can cause strain etc if done wrong and cause lameness then horses have to be put down.

Would you object to sulky racing on a race track?

THIS is cruel and dangerous.

Its not the sport its how its done.

Its also a testament to how good the horsemen in those videos are.

Respect.

You pass all the tests in the world do all the shows either you know your stuff or you don't.

I'm sure the horses love being tied up with a blue rope beside a rubbish tip in a halting site all day. Horses aren't supposed to run on busy motorways either. And I can assure you if you asked all those delightful gentlemen for their horse licenses they would laugh at you.

I'm sure the horses love being tied up with a blue rope beside a rubbish tip in a halting site all day. Horses aren't supposed to run on busy motorways either. And I can assure you if you asked all those delightful gentlemen for their horse licenses they would laugh at you.

How do you know what horses are supposed to do?

Ride yourself do you?

From a scientific study on how travelers look after horses.
    Irish Travellers are an indigenous ethnic minority group. Horses are an important part of Travellers’ lives, with horse ownership considered one of the last links to their nomadic way of life. Travellers keep, breed, and sell horses. Trotting and sulky racing are popular recreational activities. Traveller horses are often viewed as having poor health and welfare by the equine industry and the media although there is little data to support these views. This study aimed to investigate Traveller horse owners’ attitudes to horse care and welfare by using in-depth interviews and body condition scoring, a well-known tool used to detect welfare related conditions, to investigate Travellers’ understanding of horse welfare. The ease of use and accuracy of the body condition scoring tool as applied by Traveller horse owners was assessed. Results indicate that they had a good understanding of a horse’s natural behaviour, which is reflected in their management practices. A major barrier to improved horse welfare cited was land availability. Travellers were found to be able to use the scoring tool easily although further training is recommended. This study provides us with an understanding of how Travellers’ manage their horses. Further research is recommended with a larger sample group.
    Traveller horses are often perceived to be exposed to poor welfare due to Travellers’ traditional way of horsemanship. However, few studies have investigated Traveller horse welfare. Hence, the present study aims to explore Traveller horse owners’ attitudes to horse care and welfare. Semi-structured interviews and discussion groups examined 14 Irish Traveller horse owners’ attitudes and approach to horse ownership. Additionally, a body condition scoring (BCS) instrument was assessed for its accuracy and ease of use when applied by Traveller horse owners. Additionally, the BCS system was used to assess 18 horses. Results show that Travellers have a good understanding of horses’ natural behaviours and environment, which is reflected in their management practices.

• Advertisement

How do you know what horses are supposed to do?

Ride yourself do you?

From a scientific study on how travelers look after horses.

I don't but only a moron would think a horse should feel at home on a motorway full of busy traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement