Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. I just don't need to see it.;-)
    This is meaningless rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Your opinion, ;-)

Your opinion, ;-)
    :p

Wanna be thread buddies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

This thread has descended into pure bigotry and is basically a hatefest for bitter people who have probably never met a traveler.

On the contrary, i'd say most opinions on this thread are based on first hand experience in dealing with travelers, yes a few decent one's get tarred with the same brush sometimes, and we should take each individually as we find them, but proportionally they do cause a lot more anti social problems, and take up more taxpayers time and money than non travelers. When the travelling community and their proponents sort that out, you'll find people will have little or no issue with them.

Nobelium wrote: »
    On the contrary, i'd say most opinions on this thread are based on first hand experience in dealing with travelers, yes a few decent one's get tarred with the same brush sometimes, and we should take each individually as we find them, but proportionally they do cause a lot more anti social problems than non travelers. When they sort that out, you'll find people will have little or no issue with them.

I understand they might have a higher number statistically of social issues.

I don't think its as simple as people think though.

I don't believe the stigma would go away if the issues did though.

Also i think Irish people have a bee in their bonnet about it because they wish to distinguish themselves FROM travelers because we are all just paddies to some people and its an effort to de-stigmatize anything Irish.

Its a sense of shame of Irishness. Lack of Irish pride imo.

But then i like to get creative with my theories.:P

• Advertisement

Also i think Irish people have a bee in their bonnet about it because they wish to distinguish themselves FROM travelers because we are all just paddies to some people and its an effort to de-stigmatize anything Irish.

Creative is right . . .If it wasn't for their higher than average anti-social behavior, most Irish people nowadays would be disinterested / oblivious to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Why do you think such a high percentage of travellers are imprisoned in Ireland? Are they wrongly convicted or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. I just don't need to see it.;-)

I get their drift

I think beyond the stereotype, or clan mentality travellers can be fine I personally have known lad who went by the name Blackie from my time down in Carlow but then I did get the impression he was ostracised from his group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

its also a line stolen from a dirty harry film ,

not wrong though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Go on....

Boxing, music and acting has seen the best representatives of the traveling community.

• Advertisement

Boxing, music and acting has seen the best representatives of the traveling community.

what about tarmacing slashhook fighting, drug dealing and aggravated burglary

they rate fairly high in those areas too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, boxing the heads off each other’s at weddings. And acting like they’ve been hurt in staged accidents when they’re trying to scam motor insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

John Connors plays a scumbag Traveller in nearly all his roles lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Omackeral wrote: »
    John Connors plays a scumbag Traveller in nearly all his roles lol

He's not acting.

Charlie, do you not get bored wasting your time on being such an obvious piss poor troll ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Charlie, do you not get bored wasting your time on being such an obvious piss poor troll ?

hahaha this is what liberism is all about sitting behind the computer talking absolute ripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Might? They might have more social issues? Eh... there's no might about it. It's there in writing for all to see it. Factually, they have a LOT more

You are downplaying this by trying to introduce an element of doubt. That element of doubt doesn't exist.

[/quote]I don't think its as simple as people think though.

Also i think Irish people have a bee in their bonnet about it because they wish to distinguish themselves FROM travelers because we are all just paddies to some people and its an effort to de-stigmatize anything Irish.[/quote]

Imagine not wanting to be associated with people that have an extremely bad reputation.

Irish pride? What exactly is that?

Your post is exactly the kind of rubbish we need to steer clear from. It's this type of over liberal thinking that helped get these people a status of "minority". Why they weren't labelled a "majority" to represent how many of their people are in prison, is beyond me.

Scumbags doing scumbag things shouldn't get a pass because of their "cultural" history.

Irish pride? What exactly is that?

Your post is exactly the kind of rubbish we need to steer clear from. It's this type of over liberal thinking that helped get these people a status of "minority". Why they weren't labelled a "majority" to represent how many of their people are in prison, is beyond me.

Scumbags doing scumbag things shouldn't get a pass because of their "cultural" history.

Its not a liberal idea

I just think some British people see just see us and travelers as the same. And not always in a flattering light. As in Irish people always have horses on the lawn etc. So some Irish people feel the need to impress the Brits by distinguishing themselves from Travelers instead of being proud of who we are.

It's probably a mental theory imo though.

Yeah we don't want to be associated but we are even though settled Irish people and Irish travelers are very different. But there you some people see us as the same.

Irish pride is just us being proud of being Irish and not letting what people think of us become our opinion of ourselves.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    what about tarmacing slashhook fighting, drug dealing and aggravated burglary

they rate fairly high in those areas too

Couple of bad apple's get all the press,
    They should be brought before the courts and suitably punished.
    The media is only interested in negative stores

It's Charles.
    The traveling community has represented Ireland at Olympics.
    Travelers need some advocates and I'm proud to do that

• Advertisement

It's Charles.

I wonder if you would be so keen to defend them if your mother was tied into her kitchen chair by them one night and her jaw broken for her pension money.

It's Charles.

Sure it is Charlie. If travelers and their advocates put half as much energy into doing something about travelers much higher than average criminal and anti social behavior as they do trying to justify and/or deny it, they would't have a perception problem.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I wonder if you would be so keen to defend them if your mother was tied into her kitchen chair by them one night and her jaw broken for her pension money.

Settled people commit these awful crimes as well you know.
    Thugs are thugs regardless of ethnicity

pablo128 wrote: »

Charlie will tell you it's your mothers fault and that she's a racist, and the state should be giving that money to travellors instead.

Couple of bad apple's get all the press,
    They should be brought before the courts and suitably punished.
    The media is only interested in negative stores

no they dont
    no their arent
    no it isnt

Charlie will tell you it's your mothers fault and that she's a racist, and the state should be giving that money to travellors instead.

Well a settled toerag commits an auwful crime so that your fault? Do they represent you and should you be judged by their actions?
    If course not so why do all Travelers get tarred with the same brush

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Charles nobody said all but the issue is the huge huge number that are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Well a settled toerag commits an auwful crime so that your fault? Do they represent you and should you be judged by their actions?

Keep up the good fight defending travellers on boards which is probably all you'll ever do.

Travellers make up 15%+ of the presion population, tell me how many travellers exist in ireland?

The travellers aggravated burglary epidemic got so bad, that they got their very own Garda crackdown called operation Thor.

Attacking elderly defenceless people in isolated rural locations is a particularly scummy thing to do, and yet here you are Charles, gleefully defending them.

• Advertisement

declan2693 wrote: »
    Keep up the good fight defending travellers on boards which is probably all you'll ever do.

Travellers make up 15%+ of the presion population, tell me how many travellers exist in ireland?

Marginalised people fill the prisons all over the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement