Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd be fairly confident of Limerick coming through alright. I think KK will take Cork. Limerick seem to have pushed on a good bit from last year whereas I doubt Cork have, if anything they have been poorer so far.
    I'd agree that sometimes if fundamental changes are needed a close beating might paper over the cracks, but I don't see where we have the facility for making big changes here. We have a very limited bench. If we are to do anything this year, it will be the usual 16/17 players to power it on.

I cannot see KK taking Cork but I do accept Cork can be erratic, while Kilkenny for all their ordinariness always put in a shift.

Yes, Tipperary's bench is limited but if the team is right and playing well the bench is maybe less important than people imagine. Tipperary brought on no game-changing subs in the 2016 final. Someone else made the point about intensity and I think Limerick had that today. Match that and gaps can close very significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Does anyone know if its been decided yet what days the semi finalists will play on, i know one semi is Saturday and the other Sunday, do we know if the munster champions are up on the Saturday or Sunday yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My god the scenes in Gorey were unreal. And they say the Provincials are dead.

Looking back at the game (and I have a bitta drink in me), but the composure of Wexford down the home straight was amazing. I have been at so many games where Kilkenny just grind it out and the inevitable happens.

Rory O'Connor is a generational talent. The battle between Ryan and Fennelly was worth the admission fee alone. I thought Eoin Murphy showed bad form to take a quick puck-out after Fanning stitched the penalty. For a fella that leaves his line to go for long-range placed-balls himself, it was unsporting. Mac should the damage he can do with supply into him.

Chin has got a lot of stick during the year for missing a free now and again. Yet he nailed all his chances bar one that dropped short. Reid is held in the same company as Shefflin, and played well today to be fair. But he screwed a 65 wide, tried to play a cute one from a close-in free and was pulled up on it, and conceded a free for overcarrying too. Tries to influence the ref more than any other current player too.

Unbelievable day for Wexford though. And I dare to dream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭Motivator

threeball wrote: »
    They're just good warm ups for the real thing then. I'm still not convinced limerick will make the final. Cork kk is key. Limerick would destroy KK but not Cork.

I don’t know how you can say you can’t see them making the final. They absolutely destroyed Tipp all over the field today. Bar a five or ten minute period in the first half where the Tipp half back line (Ronan Maher particularly) won 3 or 4 high balls in a row, Limerick went through the gears at ease.

People often talk about the work rate and intensity that the Kilkenny team of the mid 00’s brought to matches, well this Limerick team are up there with them for that. Their work rate all over the field was breathtaking and what’s more impressive is they have the skill to match it. They’re the closest thing to that dominant Kilkenny team that we’ve seen. Hats off to them they’re some team and a great team to watch. The scary thing for the rest of the teams left is I think they will only get better when they get back to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm not really talking about today though. I'm looking at the bigger picture. How are people writing off Tipp today yet didn't write off Limerick two weeks ago.

Limerick were only fluting around that day. Today was the real Limerick.

For Tipp some of the same old issues are still there as have been in recent years. Lack of pace in defence. Lack of mobility and work rate amongst a couple of their forwards when the intensity is raised. Inability to win possession in the half forward line (not helped by Bonner now being gone). Nothing on the bench.

They look fantastic if you let them hurl but Limerick like Galway in previous years brought a physical intensity that Tipp found difficult to cope with.

The only positive for them after today is they somehow find themselves on the easy side of the draw. And the performance of 2 or 3 of the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Didn't see the SG. Did Ronan Maher's "tackle" get mentioned?

Given that TSG is often the arbiter of red card offences missed by ref - and that was one - curious to know what if anything was said.

(Not advocating by the way that these things ought to be in gift of the panel, but they have been in the past.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Would have been a big critic towards the end and towards the end at Clare, but fairplay Davy Fitz. This to me is his biggest achievement, though I respect the quality of these Wexford lads. Taking a lads year on year and improving them to a watershed/landmark win is the sign of a quality manager .

Well deserved and enjoy people of Wexford. Yeve earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Didn't see the SG. Did Ronan Maher's "tackle" get mentioned?

Given that TSG is often the arbiter of red card offences missed by ref - and that was one - curious to know what if anything was said.

(Not advocating by the way that these things ought to be in gift of the panel, but they have been in the past.)

Ya Maher and bubbles 'tackles' were downright reckless and dangerous, luckily byrnes was caught on the helmet not on the side of his head, very reckless swing, and Casey is lucky he doesnt have a broken jaw. The referee/linesmen were very poor, the second challenge right under the nose of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Would have been a big critic towards the end and towards the end at Clare, but fairplay Davy Fitz. This to me is his biggest achievement, though I respect the quality of these Wexford lads. Taking a lads year on year and improving them to a watershed/landmark win is the sign of a quality manager .

Well deserved and enjoy people of Wexford. Yeve earned it.

look i agree , he has some CV , we dont want him because of all the hassle he caused up here , his comments on the sideline of "i got two all irelands you got **** all" were a disgrace to tony brown that time , several instances occurred similar to that in his time in clare

the man should be seen as a serious coach with a certain way of playing the game and praised for his success but should not and be ignored from being one of the most cynical figures in gaa in the country

again ..well done wexford take nothing away form them they were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Ya Maher and bubbles 'tackles' were downright reckless and dangerous, luckily byrnes was caught on the helmet not on the side of his head, very reckless swing, and Casey is lucky he doesnt have a broken jaw. The referee/linesmen were very poor, the second challenge right under the nose of the ref.

I take it then, that no-one referred to it on TSG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is it time for a change in Kilkenny and Cody should call it a day ??

Exceptional management career is an understatement and I'm sure it will be a tough adjustment on his life when he walks away but everything has a sell by date and it would be interesting too see what someone else could do with the Kilkenny seniors (King Henry or DJ probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Looking back at the game (and I have a bitta drink in me), but the composure of Wexford down the home straight was amazing. I have been at so many games where Kilkenny just grind it out and the inevitable happens.

Rory O'Connor is a generational talent. The battle between Ryan and Fennelly was worth the admission fee alone. I thought Eoin Murphy showed bad form to take a quick puck-out after Fanning stitched the penalty. For a fella that leaves his line to go for long-range placed-balls himself, it was unsporting. Mac should the damage he can do with supply into him.

Chin has got a lot of stick during the year for missing a free now and again. Yet he nailed all his chances bar one that dropped short. Reid is held in the same company as Shefflin, and played well today to be fair. But he screwed a 65 wide, tried to play a cute one from a close-in free and was pulled up on it, and conceded a free for overcarrying too. Tries to influence the ref more than any other current player too.

delighted for ye , have every reason to dream , that was an excellent performance today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Enjoy the celebrations. Your paragraph about Reid is quite petty however, not for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Enjoy the celebrations. Your paragraph about Reid is quite petty however, not for the first time.

Couldn't agree more. He put one 65 wide and over-carried at one stage - the horror! Loved the idea with the short free too, great to see guys trying something different at times

He's an absolute joy to watch imo, and from a hurling POV I hope he's still at the top of his game for a few years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭C__MC

jr86 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. He put one 65 wide and over-carried at one stage - the horror! Loved the idea with the short free too, great to see guys trying something different at times

He's an absolute joy to watch imo, and from a hurling POV I hope he's still at the top of his game for a few years to come

His two points from play in the second half were majestic. Poetry in motion. Such a shame he is at his peak when kilkenny are in demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

C__MC wrote: »
    His two points from play in the second half were majestic. Poetry in motion. Such a shame he is at his peak when kilkenny are in demise.

Don't see any way they would have won the all Ireland in 15 without him either

Speaking of the best players of the modern era, real shame to see Richie Hogan only reduced to 5 minute cameos anymore. Still only 30, sad to see a player of his quality affected so much with injury

Still - surely he was worth a longer run than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Wexford scrapped a win yesterday, people are talking as if they wiped the floor with Kilkenny.
    Only for bad decisions at the end by Kilkenny, going for goals when points were on, could have been a different story.

Wexford played very well, and deserve the win, but there wasn't that much in it.

KK were poor in places, Walter Walsh, Alan Murphy and P. Walsh didn't perform.

Kilkenny aren't on the demise either, they'll be getting better every year, look how Mullen played and Huw Lawlor was the pick of the backs.

Motivator wrote: »

I don’t know how you can say you can’t see them making the final. They absolutely destroyed Tipp all over the field today.

To be fair, what he said was completely different. He said "I'm still not convinced limerick will make the final." which is a long way from "I can't see them making the final."

His point re. Cork stands. Limerick had huge problems with them in last year's semi-final and lost to them in this year's Munster championship (even allowing for the reality that this will probably be dismissed as "Limerick weren't trying" in favour of the most recent evidence)

Cork would be a far pacier team than Tipperary and would have no hang-ups about Limerick given their recent experiences against them, drawing with them last year and being in a very strong position against them in the AI semi final before letting it slip.

That'll be a game that could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jr86 wrote: »

What was wrong with the short free anyway? Did he go before the whistle?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭PIORUN

Clareman wrote: »
    So it's clear that Limerick threw the round robin game against Tipp, that resulted in Clare being knocked out of the championship, can't say I'm going to support Limerick any time soon.
    you'll be missed , thanks for getting us to the Munster Final :-)

• Advertisement

Your paragraph about Reid is quite petty however, not for the first time.

Surely it's just another opinion? Extravagant claims were made about Reid on this forum (he was the GOAT etc.) after the Galway game when for reasons best known to themselves they decided not to man-mark him and he was gifted a couple of goals. The problem with extravagant claims is that in that minority world where diversity of opinion is welcomed, extravagant claims invite vigorous scrutiny. Of course he's a brilliant player but any commentary on him that is short of fawning is not automatically "petty".

Very selfish of them! They should have looked after their neighbours, who evidently aren't capable of looking after themselves!
    nail on end ...brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

lawred2 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the short free anyway? Did he go before the whistle?

I think the ref blew for charging by Colin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Brian017 wrote: »
    I think the ref blew for charging by Colin

Thought he blew before that. Free was too short.

Limerick for their win today ended up on the worse side of the draw. That is a fact.
    thats true but do people now go around claiming Sheedy threw yesterdays match???

robbiezero wrote: »
    Thought he blew before that. Free was too short.

Watched it back there. He had blown for the free to be taken but apparently Fennelly was too close to Reid. Never knew such a rule existed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Brian017 wrote: »
    Watched it back there. He had blown for the free to be taken but apparently Fennelly was too close to Reid. Never knew such a rule existed

Yes you have to be 13 meters...gets called a lot in football!

slegs wrote: »
    Yes you have to be 13 meters...gets called a lot in football!

Everyday is a school day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Surely it's just another opinion? Extravagant claims were made about Reid on this forum (he was the GOAT etc.) after the Galway game when for reasons best known to themselves they decided not to man-mark him and he was gifted a couple of goals. The problem with extravagant claims is that in that minority world where diversity of opinion is welcomed, extravagant claims invite vigorous scrutiny. Of course he's a brilliant player but any commentary on him that is short of fawning is not automatically "petty".

I find it hard to believe that you think I described what he stated as petty, merely for stating a negative opinion about Reid.

When was the last time you heard of a free against a player for steps and a short free that didn't work out as black marks against a forward when assessing their performance?

And as for "screwing" a 65 wide (while at the same time inadvertently admitting he had as good a record on the day from placed balls as Chin, who he is lauding for his free taking), it all smacks of pettiness and a preamble to what he really wanted to say, which is contained in his final sentence in the paragraph, something which he has stated on here before and which I find it hard to believe that many others agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

PIORUN wrote: »
    thats true but do people now go around claiming Sheedy threw yesterdays match???

That comes from two groups; one cohort being some Limerick fans being sore losers not able to accept we were just beaten by the better team on the day. And the other being some Clare fans looking for someone to blame for their championship exit after being influenced by a ridiculous allegation from Anthony Daly- I have huge respect for Daly so it was very disappointing to hear such nonsense from him.

Get beaten by Limerick and Tipperary by a combined total of 31 points but Limerick "throwing" the game in Thurles as the real reason for their exit? Right.

Limerick demonstrated yesterday how much they wanted to win a Munster title. It was an ambition that was openly spoken about before the championship. The only way they were guaranteed to make the final heading in to the Tipperary game was to beat them. Otherwise they needed the other result to go their way.

There is no way they didn't give their all for the Tipp game. A number of players were rested in order to freshen things up, this was done with the previous season in mind after they delivered the flattest performance of the year on the third weekend in a row in Ennis.

They tried to win in Thurles but we're beaten by the better team on the day. Similar story yesterday, better team won on the day.

Advertisement