Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

C__MC wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if the dubs give tipp home advantage

They won't and no way should they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

corny wrote: »

Maybe Dublin will suggest playing it at a neutral venue like Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

Powerhouse wrote: »
    corny wrote: »

Maybe Dublin will suggest playing it at a neutral venue like Croke Park.

Dublin have played against Tipp in Thurles as a neutral venue twice in a row. Don't see any reason why this game can't be played in Portlaoise or even Croke Park as a double header with the Dublin footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin gave tipp home advantage in 2014 and 17, dont forget that

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm just thinking of the permutations and I'm not convinced that the sides of the draw for the semi finals are known yet.

What happens if Cork beat W'meath and then KK, and if Dublin beat Laois and then Tipp. The 4 semi finalists would be Limerick, Wexford, Cork and Dublin.

There's a line on the GAA website regarding the semi finals:
    "Provincial Champions play a quarter-final winner, draw to be made to determine pairings subject to the respective provincial champions not meeting the defeated finalists from their own province at this stage and, where feasible, the avoidance of repeat pairings."

If results go that way would that not mean the semi's would be Wexford v Cork and Limerick v Dublin? Or am I not understanding it correct?

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Dublin have played against Tipp in Thurles as a neutral venue twice in a row. Don't see any reason why this game can't be played in Portlaoise or even Croke Park as a double header with the Dublin footballers.

There's no reason why the game could not be played in Clones or Killybegs either. But the point is that Thurles is a much more obvious venue for a quarter-final double header. Taking an All-Ireland hurling quarter-final to a venue with Portlaoise which holds about 20k would be stupid. Dublin GAA doesn't have an issue with most counties having to travel to Dublin most of the time to play them in championship. No reason why Thurles should be an issue for them. Hurling is now more or less dead for the year. Just three proper weekends left. Hurling needs to make the most of them. In that context putting one of the All-Ireland quarter-finals at a backwater venue would be really clever.

I'm just thinking of the permutations and I'm not convinced that the sides of the draw for the semi finals are known yet.

What happens if Cork beat W'meath and then KK, and if Dublin beat Laois and then Tipp. The 4 semi finalists would be Limerick, Wexford, Cork and Dublin.

There's a line on the GAA website regarding the semi finals:
    "Provincial Champions play a quarter-final winner, draw to be made to determine pairings subject to the respective provincial champions not meeting the defeated finalists from their own province at this stage and, where feasible, the avoidance of repeat pairings."

If results go that way would that not mean the semi's would be Wexford v Cork and Limerick v Dublin? Or am I not understanding it correct?

You are correct. But those who say Tipperary will play Wexford if they qualify are right because they cannot play Limerick. In other words if either Kilkenny or Tipperary (beaten provincial finalists) win their quarter-final the semi-final draw is automatic as there is not a repeat of the provincial final allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The GAA will be trying their best to get the game on in Thurles. I hope Dublin dont let themselves be bullied into going to Thurles

I don't think anyone involved in Dublin would be objecting to Thurles. It's the usual venue for quarter finals.

Cork and Kilkenny would go close to filling Thurles on its own, so they might have the games on separate days? anyway, Portlaoise is the only venue on our minds this week!

Crowds for quarter finals were poor last year, especially for the Wexford/Clare match in Cork - little over 10,000. That's certain to change this year, you would imagine. You would wonder all the same if they might chance Cork for the Dublin/Tipp game.

Just for the record, I would far prefer our hurlers to be in stand alone in Thurles than as warm up for the footballers in Croke Park with 15,000 spread around the ground and people arriving in during the second half. Eh, no. Thankfully that farce has been put to bed.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I don't think anyone involved in Dublin would be objecting to Thurles. It's the usual venue for quarter finals.

Wexford and Kilkenny would go close to filling Thurles on its own, so they might have the games on separate days? anyway, Portlaoise is the only venue on our minds this week!

Crowds for quarter finals were poor last year, especially for the Wexford/Clare match in Cork - little over 10,000. That's certain to change this year, you would imagine. You would wonder all the same if they might chance Cork for the Dublin/Tipp game.

I'd suspect the Cork experiment is done. Just 10k showed up last year for Wexford-Waterford. You wouldn't even get that for a Tipp-Dublin game particularly with Dublin's footballers playing the same weekend. But when you look at some of the thinking governing suggestions here I suppose nothing is too stupid or inconvenient to be proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Tipp won't beat that Limerick side unless Limerick underperform or just aren't that bothered like they were a few weeks ago. Don't have the legs for them once Limerick up the work rate.

Best news of the day for Tipp is the draw has opened up for them. They won't say it but they'll much prefer seeing Dublin (outside Parnell Park) and Wexford in front of them rather than say Galway and Kilkenny.

That's just a cop out. If they meet in the final and tipp beat them will it mean Limerick underperformed? Yes Limerick are younger but an on song tipp have better Hurlers than limerick. Today was a bad day but I thought it might be as Limerick needed it badly. Tipp did not.
    5 of tipps 6 front men didn't show up today. Bubbles barely touched the ball. Yes they will be glad to miss KK but not because they are so formidable, only because they'll raise their game for Tipp and that means a harder route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cork and Kilkenny would go close to filling Thurles on its own, so they might have the games on separate days? anyway, Portlaoise is the only venue on our minds this week!

Just for the record, I would far prefer our hurlers to be in stand alone in Thurles than as warm up for the footballers in Croke Park with 15,000 spread around the ground and people arriving in during the second half. Eh, no. Thankfully that farce has been put to bed.

What is the chances of a double header with the footballers in Croker as opposed to a hurling double header in Thurles?

As you mentioned the Cork Kilkenny game alone should bring a very big crowd to Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Limerick still unlikely to retain title......Tipp limerick final is probably most likely with the Tipp lads to come out on top

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Putting a hurling quarter final on as a warm up to a football match would be a disgrace, and a terrible decision for every reason imaginable. The Dublin hurlers didn't fight their way past Galway to be a warm up act for a foregone conclusion.

seligehgit wrote: »
    What is the chances of a double header with the footballers in Croker as opposed to a hurling double header in Thurles?

As you mentioned the Cork Kilkenny game alone should bring a very big crowd to Thurles.

Kenny would not want a double header with the footballers. Last one was league quarter final against Tipp before footballers played Monaghan in league last year. It was game of no consequence for the footballers anyway and 22,000 was official attendance. If there were 5,000 there for most of the hurling I would be surprised.

It is demeaning to the county hurlers and has proven to be of no benefit in bringing extra spectators going back over ten years now. Never more there for hurling than we would get in Parnell and at least one former player has gone on record about not liking playing there.

A winner take all hurling quarter final in any event takes precedence over a game the footballers are unlikely to lose, but even if they did would not be the end of the road. Cork footballers would hardly agree to play a qualifier as warm up to the hurlers would they!

(Only saw Realt's post now. Puts it better than myself. Even for Cat interloper into Dub club hurling :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

(Only saw Realt's post now. Puts it better than myself. Even for Cat interloper into Dub club hurling :-)
    But we're taking over Dublin club hurling. :-)

But we're taking over Dublin club hurling. :-)

Realt Dearg or Kilkenny people iin general :)

(Just as an aside and not for this thread obviously, are you aware that there used to be an all Kilkenny Dublin club team in 60s - Moondarrig? Uncle of mine from the Bridge played for them for awhile.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Putting a hurling quarter final on as a warm up to a football match would be a disgrace, and a terrible decision for every reason imaginable. The Dublin hurlers didn't fight their way past Galway to be a warm up act for a foregone conclusion.

Put the football game on first as the warm up.

Main event should be the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

There's no reason why the game could not be played in Clones or Killybegs either. But the point is that Thurles is a much more obvious venue for a quarter-final double header. Taking an All-Ireland hurling quarter-final to a venue with Portlaoise which holds about 20k would be stupid. Dublin GAA doesn't have an issue with most counties having to travel to Dublin most of the time to play them in championship. No reason why Thurles should be an issue for them. Hurling is now more or less dead for the year. Just three proper weekends left. Hurling needs to make the most of them. In that context putting one of the All-Ireland quarter-finals at a backwater venue would be really clever.

Thurles is an issue because its Tipperarys home pitch which they train on every night. Dublin could give Tipperary home advantage and they will be pressured to do so. It would be the silliest decision they could possibly make.

threeball wrote: »
    That's just a cop out. If they meet in the final and tipp beat them will it mean Limerick underperformed? Yes Limerick are younger but an on song tipp have better Hurlers than limerick. Today was a bad day but I thought it might be as Limerick needed it badly. Tipp did not.
    5 of tipps 6 front men didn't show up today. Bubbles barely touched the ball. Yes they will be glad to miss KK but not because they are so formidable, only because they'll raise their game for Tipp and that means a harder route.

That Tipperary team wont beat Limerick if they meet them again. This 'better hurlers' is a Donal Og construction. A hurler is a mix of skill,power speed.. ect. Tipp have plenty of skill but no speed and not much power. Unless you get Bubbles, the McGraths and Ford some Honda 50s then I dont see them keeping up with Limerick when they bring the heat.

Thurles is an issue because its Tipperarys home pitch which they train on every night. Dublin could give Tipperary home advantage and they will be pressured to do so. It would be the silliest decision they could possibly make.

But Tipperary had to play Limerick today on their training ground in a Munster Final. These are imagined issues. People just looking for an excuse to get angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

If they have, they didn't show it. On song, Galway have better hurlers than either KK, Dublin or WX, but that's cold comfort to them this evening. All about performing on the day and making the game your own.

But Tipperary had to play Limerick today on their training ground in a Munster Final. These are imagined issues. People just looking for an excuse to get angry.

Not at all. Limerick had an advantage over Tipperary today. The Gaelic grounds was a big advantage. Its home and away. Please dont try and tell me if Man utd got Liverpool in a knock out game at old Trafford then it wouldn't be an advantage..(leaving form ect aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

Not at all. Limerick had an advantage over Tipperary today. The Gaelic grounds was a big advantage. Its home and away. Please dont try and tell me if Man utd got Liverpool in a knock out game at old Trafford then it wouldn't be an advantage..(leaving form ect aside)

Given the amount of teams who have have broken their hoodoo there in the last few years I’m not sure it would tbh!

MfMan wrote: »
    If they have, they didn't show it. On song, Galway have better hurlers than either KK, Dublin or WX, but that's cold comfort to them this evening. All about performing on the day and making the game your own.

I'm not really talking about today though. I'm looking at the bigger picture. How are people writing off Tipp today yet didn't write off Limerick two weeks ago. Tipp took the foot off the gas before Callinan even missed his goal chance. They weren't interested in killing themselves and picking up injuries to win today as far as I could see. They were nothing like any of their previous games in any of the lines. Some of that down to Limerick but not all. Tipp are only really interested in an all ireland in my opinion.

I'm not really talking about today though. I'm looking at the bigger picture. How are people writing off Tipp today yet didn't write off Limerick two weeks ago. Tipp took the foot off the gas before Callinan even missed his goal chance. They weren't interested in killing themselves and picking up injuries to win today as far as I could see. They were nothing like any of their previous games in any of the lines. Some of that down to Limerick but not all. Tipp are only really interested in an all ireland in my opinion.

You're opinion is wrong. Tipps foot was taken off the gas and the keys were taken out of the ignition by Limerick. It was a Munster final, Tipperary gave up the ghost when the game was gone. They got annihilated today. As far as I'm concerned it ll take some effort to come back from that. I dont see it happening. If they got to a final and faced Limerick again would you say 'Yippee its Limerick ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

That’s some grade A bullsh1t right there. So the narrative is now that Tipp didn’t want to win today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

How are people writing off Tipp today yet didn't write off Limerick two weeks ago.

The infamous recency effect syndrome - synonymous with all internet fora!

I only recall too well how good Galway looked after winning Leinster last year (even if the final took a replay) and their form went completely south from there

This game will be rendered essentially irrelevant when both line out at the same stage for their semis in a few weeks (no disrespect to Dublin but I can't see them beating Tipp)

jr86 wrote: »
    The infamous recency effect syndrome - synonymous with all internet fora!

I only recall too well how good Galway looked after winning Leinster last year (even if the final took a replay) and their form went completely south from there

This game will be rendered essentially irrelevant when both line out at the same stage for their semis in a few weeks (no disrespect to Dublin but I can't see them beating Tipp)
    Wrong opinion

That Tipperary team wont beat Limerick if they meet them again. This 'better hurlers' is a Donal Og construction. A hurler is a mix of skill,power speed.. ect. Tipp have plenty of skill but no speed and not much power. Unless you get Bubbles, the McGraths and Ford some Honda 50s then I dont see them keeping up with Limerick when they bring the heat.

I disagree but thats what discussion forums are for. Looking at the run in Tipp are todays real winners. If Cork can get by KK and im not sure they will then I think they'll give Limerick a real problem. Their style is one that Limerick struggle with. They'd prefer to see Kk get through.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »

Yes, but Tipperary are still in the championship, Galway aren't.

Advertisement