Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Galway arent smart enough to make the final this year. The amount of poor decision making they do is shocking. That every man and his dog knew they would let Kilkenny back into the game after they went down to 14 just shows why they have such a poor all Ireland record. Good enough to get to finals but in general too dumb to win consistently

You could apply that reasoning to most counties, bar KK, over the past number of years. Cork in particular, who eschewed 2 good positions in the last 2 semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Not a whole lot different to Waterford except Clare just about managed to beat them

if you read between the lines there is a whole lot more going on in waterford then just a poor run of form

waterford have struggled in the last two years now with no real sign of things changing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    70yrs unbeaten in Nolan park in the championship.....great achievement by the Leinster champs today...

As a matter of interest does anyone know who beat KK in Nowlan Park in 1949? I'm guessing Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

threeball wrote: »
    Few key Clare players all at sea. Conlon has gone back a mile from the last 2 years. Tony Kelly is anonymous. The ball coming in from out the field to Shane O Donnell is a disgrace, Johnny glynn would struggle with it never mind SOD.

The backs are under constant pressure as nothing sticks up front. Most of the issues originate in the HB line and midfield. Very poor deliveries from them. Very similar to the first 20 mins of the drawn semi last year and Galway ate them. Dropping Galvin back worked that day but it's not a permanent tactic.

what i dont think most people have picked up on either is the management have withdrawn kelly back the field in to a deep role too , almost like a 3rd midfielded in a defensive roll ,

he is our best player by some distance was flying in the league then somewhere along the line the management came up with this tactic, we gave a free role to declan hannon today in the limerick half backline as a result and his precision clearances killed us

the annoying part of all this is we have plenty of able replacements on the bench but they never get a look in ,conlon , o'donnell and probably podge should not start the next day ,but will , david mc and pat o'connor wont be touched either no mater how bad both have been in the last 7 days ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

feargale wrote: »
    As a matter of interest does anyone know who beat KK in Nowlan Park in 1949? I'm guessing Laois.

According to wiki,you're right, 1949 Leinster Final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

threeball wrote: »
    If Flynn was taken off frees half way through the first half Galway would have walked away with that. With Canning back and Mannion moving to midfield they'll be a serious force. Few lads not hurling well like Daithi but a few more weeks and that could change

Where exactly did ya come to this conclusion re Daithi? The 1 or 2 mistakes made? Did you watch the Wexford game or read any club reports recently? He's been more collosal than ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

if you read between the lines there is a whole lot more going on in waterford then just a poor run of form

waterford have struggled in the last two years now with no real sign of things changing

Mitigating circumstances last year in fairness. This year having built up confidence and no injuries with two home games, there was no excuses. I think it's player disillusionment and poor management rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where exactly did ya come to this conclusion re Daithi? The 1 or 2 mistakes made? Did you watch the Wexford game or read any club reports recently? He's been more collosal than ever

His touch looks off in both the wexford and KK game. Normally it's so assured. Either into the paw first time or one touch and caught. Ball is bobbling around a good bit so far. The incident where he brought the ball over the endline yesterday was a perfect example.

He's not miles off but that little bit is reducing his normal efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

cms88 wrote: »
    Clare scored 4 points from play today if it was football there would be uproar.

The fact scores are higher in hurling covers up the fact the standard can be poor, and it has been for the last two weeks in Munster, yet it's never highlighted why?

I realise there's a rush among some people to knock the Munster championship but just because games are one-sided does not necessarily mean that the standard is poor. I wouldn't say that Limerick's standard was poor yesterday even though it was a one-sided game. And look at the two goals Galway conceded, and the frees they missed, and Daithi Burke's shocking effort for a score towards the end. And if a Munster player fumbled the ball over the end line like Daithí Burke we'd never hear the end of it. That game in Leinster was close and exciting but an argument could easily be made that the standard was not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Nice to see a pundit from the Glens for a change. The hurlers are very isolated up there. Anyone know who he is? He's from Cushendall, Sambo's club.

Neil McManus have 2 say good 1st apperance as pundit no bull**** didnt hold back pure straight talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Has the draw been made as regards which of the third-placed provinical teams the top two in the Joe McDonagh Cup play? Can't remember if it was an open draw that determined it last year.

Trying to map out how the rest of the championship will pan out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I've been saying this for a while but the cynical fouling in hurling is becoming a big issue. Anytime a player wins a ball and gets a run on the opposition goal within 25 yards they are just pulled down and it's lauded as "good defending" or "it had to be done". There's a flaw in the rules when these sort of fouls are seen as not even just the best option but often the only option and defenders would be roundly criticised by their own fans and team mates if they didn't just pull down a player that was running through.

From looking at the papers today there's a suggestion of a black card being introduced which would solve the issue and I'd now be in favour of it. As well as this I think it would make a big improvement if the refs were just much quicker with the yellow cards for defenders fouling it'd go an awful long way to stamping this out. Basically no matter how harmless a foul is in this area if a forward is fouled when it looks like they even have a reasonable chance of getting a goal then it should be an automatic yellow card. If defenders are on yellows they have to defend much more honestly and fairly. For example John Conlon was fouled 3 times in the "red zone" in the first 20 minutes yesterday without even a yellow being given.

A perfect illustration of the need for a black card in action was Conor Whelan's goal yesterday for Galway, Paul Murphy already on a yellow for an extremely cynical foul on Jason Flynn knew he couldn't foul him and was unable to stop him fairly so Whelan got in for the goal. It was openly acknowledged by the pundits that Murphy's yellow stopped him fouling Whelan and that was the only reason the goal was scored.

However none of them seemed to make the next obvious step that this should never be deemed the best option for Murphy in that situation, whether he has a yellow or not and that we would have been denied seeing great goal scored if not for Murphy's earlier yellow.

If the black card was in then that sort of cynical defending couldn't happen right from the start and we'd see less frees and more goal chances. Surely a win win?

And my own county is certainly not innocent in this capacity and we did some extremely cynical fouling in the last 15 minutes yesterday. I just picked out the Murphy Whelan incident as due to Murphy's previous yellow it illustrated well how a black card rule would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Sean O Brien Tipp and Downey from Cork both stopped goal chances by ankle tapping with the hurl this season and very little about it. A very sneaky tactic and the punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Shhhh.....cynical play is only exclusive to those muck savages that play football :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I've been saying this for a while but the cynical fouling in hurling is becoming a big issue. Anytime a player wins a ball and gets a run on the opposition goal within 25 yards they are just pulled down and it's lauded as "good defending" or "it had to be done". There's a flaw in the rules when these sort of fouls are seen as not even just the best option but often the only option and defenders would be roundly criticised by their own fans and team mates if they didn't just pull down a player that was running through.

From looking at the papers today there's a suggestion of a black card being introduced which would solve the issue and I'd now be in favour of it. As well as this I think it would make a big improvement if the refs were just much quicker with the yellow cards for defenders fouling it'd go an awful long way to stamping this out. Basically no matter how harmless a foul is in this area if a forward is fouled when it looks like they even have a reasonable chance of getting a goal then it should be an automatic yellow card. If defenders are on yellows they have to defend much more honestly and fairly. For example John Conlon was fouled 3 times in the "red zone" in the first 20 minutes yesterday without even a yellow being given.

A perfect illustration of the need for a black card in action was Conor Whelan's goal yesterday for Galway, Paul Murphy already on a yellow for an extremely cynical foul on Jason Flynn knew he couldn't foul him and was unable to stop him fairly so Whelan got in for the goal. It was openly acknowledged by the pundits that Murphy's yellow stopped him fouling Whelan and that was the only reason the goal was scored.

However none of them seemed to make the next obvious step that this should never be deemed the best option for Murphy in that situation, whether he has a yellow or not and that we would have been denied seeing great goal scored if not for Murphy's earlier yellow.

If the black card was in then that sort of cynical defending couldn't happen right from the start and we'd see less frees and more goal chances. Surely a win win?

And my own county is certainly not innocent in this capacity and we did some extremely cynical fouling in the last 15 minutes yesterday. I just picked out the Murphy Whelan incident as due to Murphy's previous yellow it illustrated well how a black card rule would work.

A black card would probably have worked in KK favour yesterday as they would not have ended up down to 14 men.
    Not sure about it, but I do agree, it might be time for something to be done. It would want to be implemented properly e.g.
    Peter Hartes black card on Saturday evening was just nonsense, a yellow card here would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Nice to see a pundit from the Glens for a change. The hurlers are very isolated up there. Anyone know who he is? He's from Cushendall, Sambo's club.

I watched them playing Féile 1/4 final in Currans on Saturday: they have a great U14 team. They had a big lad called Frankie playing at 11. I've a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about him in the future!

Stopped off in Gaelic Grounds on the way home. Hannon being free gave Limerick a great attacking platform because a good sharp pass from him to a lad in space allowed quality ball into the forwards. Clare's delivery to the forwards was really poor. Maybe they were trying to get Kelly free to get good delivery but it certainly didn't work out that way. The Limerick Full-Back line were fantastic and snuffed out almost all danger that came their way. There was a load of pulling/dragging off the ball in both Full-Back lines which the ref probably shouldn't have let go but as a player, you play the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Has the draw been made as regards which of the third-placed provinical teams the top two in the Joe McDonagh Cup play? Can't remember if it was an open draw that determined it last year.

Trying to map out how the rest of the championship will pan out :D

Munster third placed played the winners last year ie Limerick played Carlow so Joe McDonagh winners play Leinster third place this year

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Love it or not but the black card has definately cleaned up Gaelic Football from what it was and where it was going. Hurling definitely needs attention directed to its discipline. There is way too much use of the spare hand. Some of the tackles are just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

robbiezero wrote: »
    A black card would probably have worked in KK favour yesterday as they would not have ended up down to 14 men.
    Not sure about it, but I do agree, it might be time for something to be done. It would want to be implemented properly e.g.
    Peter Hartes black card on Saturday evening was just nonsense, a yellow card here would have been fine.

If it's a black card then that should mean a sin bin rather than the half arsed solution in the football. I'd also suggest that the free if a goal chance should be moved to the centre on the 21. The attacking team at least get the chance to go for goal then which might be important if chasing a game in the dying minutes. At least a third of goal chances get snuffed out by cynical play. Anyone ankle tapping with a hurl should get the line. It's extremely dangerous for a player running at speed to be taken down like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What punishment would you have meted out to Harte for his foot trip on Aylward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

citykat wrote:

A pat on the back for getting a lad sent off so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'd take the sin bin over the black card option anyday. The sin bin works in lots of sports. The Blackcard doesn't work. It's too harsh a penalty if its givin in the first 5 mins of a match and it's not harsh enough if given in the last 20 mins.. ie the player is replaced. Sin bin is what's needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

A pat on the back for getting a lad sent off so easily.

A coward really that what you call that , Aylward got up straight away when Hanbury gave him that cloths line tackle no trying to get a lad sent off easily.

You see the treatment C. Mannion got in the second half? May as well of given his jersey to Deegan he was hanging out of it so much. Deegan scores a point and the first thing he does is run and shoulder Mannion into the back. They both got booked. No different to Harte and Aylward. Goes on all match long.

You see the treatment C. Mannion got in the second half? May as well of given his jersey to Deegan he was hanging out of it so much. Deegan scores a point and the first thing he does is run and shoulder Mannion into the back. They both got booked. No different to Harte and Aylward. Goes on all match long.

You said give him a clap on the back thank him for getting a man so easily a cowardly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Joe Daly wrote: »
    A coward really that what you call that , Aylward got up straight away when Hanbury gave him that cloths line tackle no trying to get a lad sent off easily.

Only saw it in real time and on replay on TV so might have missed something, but seemed to me that Aylward was doing no more than stopping himself falling backwards when he was red carded.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I'd take the sin bin over the black card option anyday. The sin bin works in lots of sports. The Blackcard doesn't work. It's too harsh a penalty if its givin in the first 5 mins of a match and it's not harsh enough if given in the last 20 mins.. ie the player is replaced. Sin bin is what's needed

Ya I agree actually, sin bin be perfectly fine solution. Give a team the free and 10 minutes with an extra man would be a reasonable punishment for those cynical fouls.

citykat wrote: »

Well was what Harte did a red card offence? Not for me. He got the yellow he deserved.

Aylward reacted to the trip by going for Harte and they ended up scuffling on the ground for 30 seconds, GAA refs always give yellows for that. Harte was definitely the instigator of that but there's no ref in Ireland that wouldn't have given 2 yellows there and Aylward should know that when he was carrying a yellow, was extremely silly on his behalf.

But if there was a sin bin in place then I'd say in that situation Harte should get the sin bin and Aylward a (second) yellow for his reaction.

Joe Daly wrote:
    You said give him a clap on the back thank him for getting a man so easily a cowardly thing.

Harte got what he deserved. A yellow card. From a Galway perspective it worked out great. Can hardly blame Harte for the idiotic reaction from a player on a yellow card and a massive championship game in the balance.

• Advertisement

Harte got what he deserved. A yellow card. From a Galway perspective it worked out great. Can hardly blame Harte for the idiotic reaction from a player on a yellow card and a massive championship game in the balance.[/QUOT

Harte was the agreser but the lines man didn't see that as you said it worked out well the clap on the back for getting a man sent off so easy.

Advertisement