Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    After today, I can't see the value of playing canning unless he's 100% fit. Canning being absent could be the making of a few others in that Galway forward line.

I wouldn't play Canning until the quarters. Nothing to be gained and all to lose. Let the lads that are there win a Leinster without him, it'll do them the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Road-Hog wrote: »
    You might be regarded as the bigger moron for enquiring.

There's no 'might' about it. He is.

I admit I didn't know who that pundit was but he was no moron. None of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

The galway ran ins from two weeks are now contenders, sport is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Suggesting defending on Gillanes left side would have stopped the goal was a bit simplistic I thought.

Who was the guy spouting on here that it was set up for kilkenny to win it outright?

• Advertisement

Suggesting defending on Gillanes left side would have stopped the goal was a bit simplistic I thought.

Any decent defender stays on your catching arm. Its a basic rule.

Thought he spoke very well for a guy on his first day out. Wasn't afraid to voice an opinion. Called the Galway game right which the other two didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

There's no 'might' about it. He is.

I admit I didn't know who that pundit was but he was no moron. None of them were.

The analysis was like what you'd expect hear in a pub somewhere, late into the night and after the local junior b's lost the county semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

How are the teams separated if they finish level points? Head to head or score difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

corny wrote: »
    How are the teams separated if they finish level points? Head to head or score difference?

if 2 teams level on points head to head , if more then 2 teams level it comes down to scoring difference

corny wrote: »

Score difference if three teams, head to head on two teams

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Any decent defender stays on your catching arm. Its a basic rule.

Thought he spoke very well for a guy on his first day out. Wasn't afraid to voice an opinion. Called the Galway game right which the other two didn't.

So if they are another 10 yards to the left, and the ball is played in between them and Gillane breaks it to his right he is then at an advantage with a clear path to goal.

The one I always heard was "stay goal side". Think that's too simplistic as well to be honest. Not having a go at McManus, the other two were saying it as well

So if they are another 10 yards to the left, and the ball is played in between them and Gillane breaks it to his right he is then at an advantage with a clear path to goal.

The one I always heard was "stay goal side". Think that's too simplistic as well to be honest. Not having a go at McManus, the other two were saying it as well

Depends how the ball is coming in but if it's a high delivery it's a cardinal sin to be hurl side. You have next to know chance spoiling a catch. Once it's in his hand you're in the sh1t. On the ground you'll have the advantage.

If you're hand side you control his arm with your hurl and get your own paw up. He'll do it to you if you're on the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭cms88

slegs wrote: »
    It doesn’t have to be close to be a good game. Limerick were superb today and it’s building up nicely for the latter stages of the championship

Clare scored 4 points from play today if it was football there would be uproar.

The fact scores are higher in hurling covers up the fact the standard can be poor, and it has been for the last two weeks in Munster, yet it's never highlighted why?

Depends how the ball is coming in but if it's a high delivery it's a cardinal sin to be hurl side. You have next to know chance spoiling a catch. Once it's in his hand you're in the sh1t. On the ground you'll have the advantage.

If you're hand side you control his arm with your hurl and get your own paw up. He'll do it to you if you're on the wrong side.

Wasn't a high delivery though, he caught the ball below his knee. Was a great ball and a load of space in front too, I think what McInerney would be disappointed was was being completely outmuscled for it.

Agree though McManus spoke well, good to see a talented hurler from a weaker county get an opportunity on the show as well. Be very interested to hear his opinion on Antrim/Ulster hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

cms88 wrote: »
    Clare scored 4 points from play today if it was football there would be uproar.

The fact scores are higher in hurling covers up the fact the standard can be poor, and it has been for the last two weeks in Munster, yet it's never highlighted why?

i think its more to do with structures within the county , clare hammered limerick last year and beat tipperary in thurles also , it shows that they are probably not that bad in general just a bad year

in football its different ,because there are 4 or 5 counties operating at a far higher level then everyone else

laois or westmeath would have put up a better showing then what we done today or last week , but that just shows that the clare preparation to the championship was all wrong or something is gone wrong within the camp

Wasn't a high delivery though, he caught the ball below his knee. Was a great ball and a load of space in front too, I think what McInerney would be disappointed was was being completely outmuscled for it.

Agree though McManus spoke well, good to see a talented hurler from a weaker county get an opportunity on the show as well. Be very interested to hear his opinion on Antrim/Ulster hurling

Didn't see the particular incident well myself as the feed went jumpy on my tv so only heard his comment. If it was low and in front then it was an odd criticism but I wouldn't mind seeing him on there again.

i think its more to do with structures within the county , clare hammered limerick last year and beat tipperary in thurles also , it shows that they are probably not that bad in general just a bad year

in football its different ,because there are 4 or 5 counties operating at a far higher level then everyone else

laois or westmeath would have put up a better showing then what we done today or last week , but that just shows that the clare preparation to the championship was all wrong or something is gone wrong within the camp

Few key Clare players all at sea. Conlon has gone back a mile from the last 2 years. Tony Kelly is anonymous. The ball coming in from out the field to Shane O Donnell is a disgrace, Johnny glynn would struggle with it never mind SOD.

The backs are under constant pressure as nothing sticks up front. Most of the issues originate in the HB line and midfield. Very poor deliveries from them. Very similar to the first 20 mins of the drawn semi last year and Galway ate them. Dropping Galvin back worked that day but it's not a permanent tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

cms88 wrote: »
    So another wash out from the super competitive Munster championship that apparently everyone wants to see...

Not quite everyone but in fairness it had nearly double the attendance of Kilkenny-Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Not quite everyone but in fairness it had nearly double the attendance of Kilkenny-Galway.

Not particularly relevant given Limerick is considerably bigger than Kilkenny and the traveling team was coming from just over the county border rather than three hours away.

It's said about a lot of counties fans when they're going well, but I've always thought the Limerick fans were fantastic. A great showing from them today as well, they deserve the success they're getting.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not particularly relevant given Limerick is considerably bigger than Kilkenny and the traveling team was coming from just over the county border rather than three hours away.

Then why mention the attendance at all if it's not relevant?

Then why mention the attendance at all if it's not relevant?

You were the one who brought up the attendance....???

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

So what you nearly always get bigger attendances at Munster hurling matches doesn't make any difference to the quality of hurling on offer, what gets me is the likes of Eamonn Sweeney in the Irish Indo only waiting to down the Leinster hurling championship while crowing about the quality in munster after the Galway Wexford game. He suggested the unfairness of two good Munster teams being knocked out while a poor Leinster team finishing third goes through. Well Kilkenny Galway was the best game of hurling in either province so far and as for Waterford and Clare not qualifying well tough they have been Stonewall useless this year and whoever finished third in Leinster has hurles with a lot more heart and skill than either of those two. Eamonn Sweeney will not revise his position he is pro Munster full stop. Maybe tomorrow he might put forward the logical solution to lose the provincial championship and play a champion s league format but I wouldn't hold my breath 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Galway tipp final This year I reckon with teams level in the last minute and joe canning scoring the winner.also spitty paws retiring 2 years too late having managed one of the most successful teams ever but going out on a whimper.
    That’s my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Galway tipp final This year I reckon with teams level in the last minute and joe canning scoring the winner.also spitty paws retiring 2 years too late having managed one of the most successful teams ever but going out on a whimper.
    That’s my prediction

You're a very strange person

as for Waterford and Clare not qualifying well tough they have been Stonewall useless this year and whoever finished third in Leinster has hurles with a lot more heart and skill than either of those two.

I'm sure the third team in Munster is better than Carlow too. Surely comparing the third team in Leinster to the third team in Munster is more relevant to a comparison?

You were the one who brought up the attendance....???

No I wasn't. You should follow the thread rather than just randomly replying to an exchange between two others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You're kinda right IMHO, it all depends on where the ball is coming from, that's the side to be on, to cut off the angle. Then you either play the ball or the man, depending on how it pans out, but you have a fall back option. You're hung if your on the outside shoulder as one nudge and you're out of the game. The catching arm is largely irrelevant

So what you nearly always get bigger attendances at Munster hurling matches doesn't make any difference to the quality of hurling on offer, what gets me is the likes of Eamonn Sweeney in the Irish Indo only waiting to down the Leinster hurling championship while crowing about the quality in munster after the Galway Wexford game. He suggested the unfairness of two good Munster teams being knocked out while a poor Leinster team finishing third goes through. Well Kilkenny Galway was the best game of hurling in either province so far and as for Waterford and Clare not qualifying well tough they have been Stonewall useless this year and whoever finished third in Leinster has hurles with a lot more heart and skill than either of those two. Eamonn Sweeney will not revise his position he is pro Munster full stop. Maybe tomorrow he might put forward the logical solution to lose the provincial championship and play a champion s league format but I wouldn't hold my breath 😉

I'd go as far as to say the fourth placed team in Leinster would beat Clare and Waterford on current form. Would have a good chance of making top 3 in munster too.

• Advertisement

We have this every week. A team puts in a big performance and they're crowned champions by 6pm. It was Tipp, then it was Cork, now it's Limerick who were 70mins away from going out.

Any of the top 4 in with a good chance. Right now it's
    Limerick
    Tipp
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Cork
    in my book but there's nothing in it especially across the top 3.

Pretty much.

Though, even after today I would never write off Clare. They have the talent imo, if they can just going.

Advertisement