Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    It's really down to your preference and headshape.

If you ever tried the PSVR and found its halo design comfortable then I'd recommend buying this for the Quest 2:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL6UO2j

The Vive DAS was hard to get for a while , so not sure if its available right now , plus you're going to need to get adaptors 3d printed to get it to fit to the Quest.
    The Halo style 3rd party one is great btw , I got one recently enough , have modded it a bit though!
    542515.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dr Bob wrote: »
    The Vive DAS was hard to get for a while , so not sure if its available right now , plus you're going to need to get adaptors 3d printed to get it to fit to the Quest.
    The Halo style 3rd party one is great btw , I got one recently enough , have modded it a bit though!
    542515.png

How do you find it vs the stock strap with regards to finding the sweet spot and holding it for the image. Did it make a difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The halo was a little better , with the original strap I had to add a backup battery to the back as a counterweight anyway so it felt 'right' , I dont think I needed it as much for the halo one (but I added one anyway!)

changed a few settings in sidequest (foveated rendering to low, 2048 textures, 90hz) as well as the glasses spacer, used an app to try and figure out my ipd which is apparently 63 so ive set the adjustment to 2, and it seems a lot better, absolutely hate the stock headstrap though :D doesnt feel secure at all, might be nice for lying down watching movies or whatever, but games will not work nicely with it imo. What external batteries are ye guys using to extend playtime, ive a feeling that will become an issue for me.

anyone using viveport? signed up for a free 14 days, seems like theres a lot of games on there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭bullpost

Started Episode II of Vader Immortal last night. The whole thing is very impressive and great fun.

• Advertisement

managed to get stadia and xbox gamepass working on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Anyone get the new v25 software update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Doge

NickTellis wrote: »

I haven't used my quest for a few weeks but I remember the last update took a while to be rolled out in Ireland. Not use if it's done per account or per country or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

NickTellis wrote: »

Got it today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What are the major benefits of latest update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭kerplun k

mrcheez wrote: »
    What are the major benefits of latest update?

Build notes

Oculus Link
    You can now set your refresh rate to 80hz and 90hz when using Link with a USB-2 cable.
    Keep in mind, that even with some of the newest and most powerful GPUs, maxing out values for the render resolution slider with a 90 Hz refresh rate may result in dropped or missing frames.
    Fixed an issue causing Link to show a black screen after exit.
    Reduced incidence of “Oculus Link is not working” errors that were happening on shut down.
    Fixed numerous black screen issues that could prevent you from being able to use Oculus Link.
    Fixed an issue where the new graphics settings in the Oculus desktop app weren’t showing for some people.

Messenger
    We’re starting to roll out Messenger on Oculus to people who have logged into Quest and Quest 2 using their Facebook account.
    With this update, you can choose to chat with your Facebook friends anywhere they have Messenger, even if they’re not in VR. You can:
    Chat with friends anywhere they have Messenger, without taking off the headset.
    Invite friends to join you in a game or experience.
    Jump into games together by sending a party invite.
    Please note this will continue to roll out in the coming weeks, so you may not see the update right away — stay tuned as it continues to be released.

Guardian and Passthrough
    Stationary Guardian 2.0
    We’ve improved Stationary Guardian with the following updates:
    Updated Stationary Guardian visuals to remove the grid.
    Adjusted Stationary Guardian to be responsive when you move your headset, no controllers needed.
    Added a new in-VR tutorial explaining how to use Guardian.
    Passthrough Shortcut
    We’re moving our Passthrough Shortcut from the experiments panel to general availability. This feature allows you to activate your Passthrough view by double-tapping the side of your Quest or Quest 2 headset. Double-tap again to switch back to your view in-VR.

VR Profiles
    We’ve updated the look, feel, and functionality of in-VR profiles and info. Some of the specific changes you’ll see include:
    Having profile cards show up directly from your menu bar, so you can look up your friend or check out their new avatar without leaving your current app or experience.
    We’ve made it so that people who use Facebook to log into Oculus can display Facebook friends and more easily communicate.
    Keep in mind, you can change or update your privacy settings at any time.

Universal Menu
    You can now access the Universal Menu across any apps, games or experiences you’re currently in.
    To enable this feature, put on your headset and select Settings > Experimental Features > Universal Menu Overlay.
    We’ve also made updates and improvements to the the design and function of the Universal Menu. These include:
    A sleeker toolbar design with easier to select menu items.
    When you’re in a Party, you can now view Party details and leave the Party directly from the Universal Menu.
    Improved tablet behavior when launching apps, switching panels, or resuming headset use.

Menu Navigation Tutorial
    We’ve added a new tutorial to walk you through how to navigate the various menus and panels from your Quest home environment. The in-VR lesson plan includes:
    How to use the Universal Menu.
    How to navigate between the different menu options and panels.
    Understanding how the different panels and menu bar work together.

Oculus Browser
    You can now resize windows horizontally when using Oculus Browser. To do this:
    Open Browser and hover over the left or right edge of any window. Use either your grip or trigger buttons to grab the handle and resize the window.
    You can open up to three Browser windows at a time and adjust each panel separately.

Bluetooth Mouse
    You can now use a Bluetooth mouse while you’re in-VR. To do this:
    Ensure that your Bluetooth mouse in is pairing mode, then go to Settings > Experimental Features > Bluetooth Pairing
    Once you select your mouse from the pairing menu, you’ll be able to use it in VR.

Camera roll
    You can now trim the length of your captured videos to share out exactly the right moments by entering the edit mode after opening a captured video.
    To do this: select your captured video from your camera roll, select the pencil icon in the top right portion of window, and drag your clip to the desired length.
    Keep in mind, you can only trim a video if it’s more than 30 seconds in length.

managed to get stadia and xbox gamepass working on this :)

Can you share what you did? I've loaded the apk with sidequest and can launch the app with sideload launcher but the screen is wonky. Its zoomed into the top corner making it unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Anyone got a halo strap for quest 1 and can recommend a good one? I have added a bit of padding to the original strap but it’s still a little uncomfortable.

EGriff wrote: »
    Anyone got a halo strap for quest 1 and can recommend a good one? I have added a bit of padding to the original strap but it’s still a little uncomfortable.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msvbr5H

I had to do a reverse image search using the AliExpress app to find it as quest 2 ones kept coming up!

Also you can only seem to send referral links now from the AliExpress app when you tap the share button just for total transparency.

Can you share what you did? I've loaded the apk with sidequest and can launch the app with sideload launcher but the screen is wonky. Its zoomed into the top corner making it unplayable.

for stadia i used this guide:

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-play-stadia-games-cyberpunk-2077-quest/#:~:text=Download%20SideQuest%20and%20reference%20our,section%20of%20the%20Settings%20menu.

for game pass you need to download the apk version V2009.270.925 (the arm64 option out of two )specifically to get full screen and not a quarter of it

Does anyone feel like getting some multiplayer games going?
    Us Irish must be the most anti social when it comes to online multiplayer VR! ;)

Doge wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like getting some multiplayer games going?
    Us Irish must be the most anti social when it comes to online multiplayer VR! ;)

I'd be up for that, Icyseanfitz is my oculus username :)

I'd be up for that, Icyseanfitz is my oculus username :)

Im going to be deep in Kingspray Graffiti Simulator tonight trying to learn how to do graffiti using downloaded tutorials that ive uploaded to the sharing video folder with sidequest. You can basically hit the sharing menu button and watch them within the game.
    So probably wont be able to do multiplayer tonight but what I will do is set up a Multiplayer thread soon so people can list their usernames and games.

I'll add you there, waveform is my name or something like that.

BTW, Kingspray Graffiti is great craic and even has online multiplayer. I cant really draw or paint but having fun messing around so far.
    Here's a video of a Dublin based artist called Shane Sutton using it, you might have seen his works around Dublin, Cork and around the country. You can see his works on his channel:

Hat tip to Shane if hes on this forum!

• Advertisement

Okay lads the multiplayer thread is up!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058159818

Dont forget to leave your usernames and hit follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Just on this tightness... Just unboxed miy Q2 - Had the Q1 previosuly. Attached the elite strap. After 5 minutes The headset is dug into cheekbones on my face even adjusting the strap wheel at back - I have the VR Cover silicone cover on also - very uncomfortable and a lot of pressure I'm finding. Its still quiote heavy too - a lot better than Q1 granted but I find the whole first impression very uncomfortable indeed.

Seems hard to get a right balance on the unit on my averaged sized head!

I have glasses spacer on (for obvious reasons!) and taking the headset on/off is such a task - very tight there too.

A little dissapointed - I cant see myself being comfortable enough to play this for prolonged sessions.

Sorry for rant but poor first imprerssions on comfort.

sticker wrote: »
    Just on this tightness... Just unboxed miy Q2 - Had the Q1 previosuly. Attached the elite strap. After 5 minutes The headset is dug into cheekbones on my face even adjusting the strap wheel at back - I have the VR Cover silicone cover on also - very uncomfortable and a lot of pressure I'm finding. Its still quiote heavy too - a lot better than Q1 granted but I find the whole first impression very uncomfortable indeed.

Seems hard to get a right balance on the unit on my averaged sized head!

I have glasses spacer on (for obvious reasons!) and taking the headset on/off is such a task - very tight there too.

A little dissapointed - I cant see myself being comfortable enough to play this for prolonged sessions.

Sorry for rant but poor first imprerssions on comfort.

I was the same at first. It takes some toggling but you’ll eventually find a sweet spot. I’m using the halo strap which takes all the pressure off the face. It’s better for stationary use, and I use the Elite for moving around.

Seems we are still a couple of years away from Ready Player One. :D

kerplun k wrote: »
    I was the same at first. It takes some toggling but you’ll eventually find a sweet spot. I’m using the halo strap which takes all the pressure off the face. It’s better for stationary use, and I use the Elite for moving around.

Seems we are still a couple of years away from Ready Player One. :D

Cheers - I am using the same amazon 5m link cable I used for Q1 but I keep getting dissconnected from PC. Is virtual desktop any better now with recent updates? Wanna play HL Alyx.

Thanks!

--- Double post

Cheers - I am using the same amazon 5m link cable I used for Q1 but I keep getting dissconnected from PC. Is virtual desktop any better now with recent updates? Wanna play HL Alyx.

Thanks!

Can’t help you with that. I only have macs in my house atm,

I’ve spent the last year procrastinating on getting an affordable gaming server for the sole purpose of VD on VR, so until I get the finger out I’m just using the quest store for now, but from what I gather, with the right network set up, VD is a lot better than the link.

Thanks!

yeah VD is perfect... just fiddle with the settings until you get it just right

Thanks!

I use vd through a 5ghz WiFi connection, find it flawless bar the very odd bit rate/weird texture issue that disappears if I turn around. No noticeable input lag

Thanks all. I keep geting this error when trying to run virtual desktop from link on my headset -
    Running multiple apps at once may cause performance issues. Please close the current app before opening another app.

When I hit quit app - the headset freezes up

I have used sidequest to install virtual desktop but its not working.

My PC is a gming level and I have a 5GHZ connection.

I'm just confused - After I sideload Virtual Desktop to the headset should it appear in my normal home or link home?

Stuck at the moment!

Thanks

EDIt - I bought Virtual Desktop on Steam previosuly - not on Oculas store..? So its appearing in normal store to buy but not my copy...

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I keep geting this error when trying to run virtual desktop from link on my headset -
    Running multiple apps at once may cause performance issues. Please close the current app before opening another app.

When I hit quit app - the headset freezes up

I have used sidequest to install virtual desktop but its not working.

My PC is a gming level and I have a 5GHZ connection.

I'm just confused - After I sideload Virtual Desktop to the headset should it appear in my normal home or link home?

Stuck at the moment!

Thanks

EDIt - I bought Virtual Desktop on Steam previosuly - not on Oculas store..? So its appearing in normal store to buy but not my copy...

- So you need to buy the Virtual Desktop app for Oculus Quest specifically (€20)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

- Once installed, head over to Sidequest and install the Virtual Desktop "patch" which will allow you to play Steam and Oculus VR games

https://sidequestvr.com/app/16/virtual-desktop-vr-patch

- Install the Streamer app on your PC

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

(set it up with your Oculus username)

- Run an ethernet cable from your PC to your 5GHz router.

- Connect your Quest 2 to the same router via 5GHz wifi

- Start the Virtual Desktop native Quest app and it should pick up your PC

- You don't need the Link cable at all, the whole idea of VD is to do away with cables.

Advertisement