Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have been messing on 'Wander', the Google car must have passed my area about 12 years ago so very interesting to see so much change.

Just wondering is there anyway to send recorded videos by WhatsApp? Only option I have is facebook messenger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have been messing on 'Wander', the Google car must have passed my area about 12 years ago so very interesting to see so much change.

Just wondering is there anyway to send recorded videos by WhatsApp? Only option I have is facebook messenger

Is Wander worth the money? Seems underwhelming from what I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

bullpost wrote: »

If you've ever travelled and want to revisit places it's amazing.

Stood at the top of Kilimanjaro again in the comfort of my living room and re-lived the agony of doing the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Whats the difference between Wanderer and Google Earth VR? Google Earth VR is free and ive lost hours in it recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

bullpost wrote: »

Its only a tenner, for anyone who will ever travel again it will make getting lost a thing of the past.

The Google car was in my area in 2009 so interesting bro see all the changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

JJayoo wrote: »
    Its only a tenner, for anyone who will ever travel again it will make getting lost a thing of the past.

The Google car was in my area in 2009 so interesting bro see all the changes

It was €8 last week. It is good that the Quest store is getting more of a rolling programme of offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iloctus

Bought a quest 2. Didn't realise the FB account thing, unused to have a FB account but haven't used it in years and think I actually deactivated by it years ago. So created another FB account with a real name and real phone number...

Is this gonna be an issue? Seen a few articles with FB banning users...

iloctus wrote: »
    Bought a quest 2. Didn't realise the FB account thing, unused to have a FB account but haven't used it in years and think I actually deactivated by it years ago. So created another FB account with a real name and real phone number...

Is this gonna be an issue? Seen a few articles with FB banning users...

Just make sure to add a profile pic.. friend some people.. put up a few posts.

I reckon give it a few days.

If all ok, then try linking it.

The Facebook guys recommended your "Facebook account should be in good standing order" before linking which I think means just to show it's got some human activity on it.

Jesus I can't even order the bloody thing without disabling my ad blocker and allowing all their tracking tools access. Really want one of these but they are really turning me off with their data harvesting b.s.

Gonna try and find a shop that sells it and pay cash...

As for the facebook account, they say in their Q&A if you're only setting it up to use with Oculus then that is ok, it can be used purely for logging into your oculus. So you don't need to keep it "active" by having social facebook activity on it.

https://support.oculus.com/1775053542763938
    There's no need to use Facebook for anything other than logging in to Oculus if you don't want to. And although you'll have a Facebook profile, you can also create a unique VR profile – so you might be Monique Smith on Facebook, but WarriorMama365 in VR. And if you don't want people on Oculus to find you using your Facebook name, they won't – just make your Facebook name visible to "Only Me" in your Oculus settings. You can also read more about Facebook's privacy settings here and Privacy Checkup tool here.

There's no doubt they will be harvesting whatever they can and linking it to you in real life whatever way they can. It only takes one slip up, putting in your mobile number or email in a game or the store and they have you linked to everyone you know who has a facebook account and has you in their address book. They can even get a photo of you and all sorts of info from other peoples address books.

This is turning out to be a very dangerous purchase for anyone who values their privacy, I'm convinced I can defeat it and keep the real me separate, but as I said all it takes is a little slip up and they have you and there is no going back.

As for the facebook account, they say in their Q&A if you're only setting it up to use with Oculus then that is ok, it can be used purely for logging into your oculus. So you don't need to keep it "active" by having social facebook activity on it.

They also said we'll never ever need to sign into Facebook to use our Oculus devices, so take what they write down with a grain of salt.

The idea is to not arouse suspicion with their bots that disable accounts automatically and then you have days (potentially weeks according to some) to wait while your account gets sorted.

I've been following reddit for a while on this subject and the accounts that get banned are ones that are newly setup, no profile pic, no friends, no activity.

Ridiculous I know, but it's a small price to pay. They can harvest all my data as much as they like and I couldn't care as the Facebook account isn't in my name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just make sure to add a profile pic.. friend some people.. put up a few posts.

I reckon give it a few days.

If all ok, then try linking it.

The Facebook guys recommended your "Facebook account should be in good standing order" before linking which I think means just to show it's got some human activity on it.

I had a pretty dormant one with scant/vague profile with no activity pretty much - and it worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

They also said we'll never ever need to sign into Facebook to use our Oculus devices, so take what they write down with a grain of salt.

The idea is to not arouse suspicion with their bots that disable accounts automatically and then you have days (potentially weeks according to some) to wait while your account gets sorted.

I've been following reddit for a while on this subject and the accounts that get banned are ones that are newly setup, no profile pic, no friends, no activity.

Ridiculous I know, but it's a small price to pay. They can harvest all my data as much as they like and I couldn't care as the Facebook account isn't in my name.

How do you mean its not in your name? Pretty sure fake accounts are the number one reason for bannings.

From what Ive seen on Reddit, seems to be US users getting banned/headset bricks.

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    How do you mean its not in your name? Pretty sure fake accounts are the number one reason for bannings.

From what Ive seen on Reddit, seems to be US users getting banned/headset bricks.

The account I have is a fake one I created about 7 years ago to sign up to competitions/freebies. I have one friend on it, and I subscribed to some VR newsgroups so the stream looks pretty active, plus I put up a fake profile photo.

I *think* they are more strict now about creating new accounts, perhaps needing mobile number?

Yeah it does appear to be the US mostly, but some Brits/Germans were banned as well, even when they used real profile data.

I don't use my Quest 2 online, just local connection, so if my FB account is banned for some reason at least the headset is safe as it's not connected to the net.

I only connect it on occasion to download updates, but I check first to make sure nothing wrong on the FB account side first.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I want to get google earth vr running on my quest 2, but running into problems. The errors I'm seeing aren't too helpful. Do I need a special cable to connect it to my laptop as part of the process? I downloaded the windows oculus app, but it's not recognising the headset when I connect it with the usb-c cable, or another cable I had that. Also, will I need a gaming machine, mine is just a middle of the road dell laptop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

kerplun k wrote: »
    I struggled for about 3 minutes before I got annoyed and watched a video. It’s simple when you’ve done it once, and once it’s assembled it’s easy to clip off and back on again.

Got mine today as well, think it'll be a bit easier than fitting one to a vive , but still probably need the video
    will fit the 3d printed headphone adaptors on shortly after

RonnieL wrote: »
    I want to get google earth vr running on my quest 2, but running into problems. The errors I'm seeing aren't too helpful. Do I need a special cable to connect it to my laptop as part of the process? I downloaded the windows oculus app, but it's not recognising the headset when I connect it with the usb-c cable, or another cable I had that. Also, will I need a gaming machine, mine is just a middle of the road dell laptop.

Anyone have any pointers here? I was following some steps from a youtube video, but they gloss over some of the detail. My first question is, do I need special cable to connect the quest 2 to the laptop? If so, does anyone have a link to a (hopefully cheap) cable that'll do the trick?

Anyone have any pointers here? I was following some steps from a youtube video, but they gloss over some of the detail. My first question is, do I need special cable to connect the quest 2 to the laptop? If so, does anyone have a link to a (hopefully cheap) cable that'll do the trick?

Not much help unfortunately, but I'm unable to get Google Earth working on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop :(

It worked fine on my Rift but admittedly I haven't run the app since 2019... haven't tested it with the Link cable (the cable you mention)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/da1g8a/oculus_link_cable_recommendations/

Have you installed the Oculus software on your PC? Install the software, connect via link cable.

You can use Virtual Desktop for a wireless solution as an alternative, though you'll need a decent Wireless router with wifi-6.

Thanks.

Has anyone used google earth on the quest 2? Is it worth my while, or am I as well to just buy the wander game?

Thanks.

Has anyone used google earth on the quest 2? Is it worth my while, or am I as well to just buy the wander game?

I use Google Earth through the virtual desktop and its brilliant. Have you downloaded the Steam version of Google Earth and run ir from Steam? Have lost hours messing around with it. Have not tried Wanderer but I dont think it has the 3d stuff that google earth has..(could be completely wrong with the 3d stuff)

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    I use Google Earth through the virtual desktop and its brilliant. Have you downloaded the Steam version of Google Earth and run ir from Steam? Have lost hours messing around with it. Have not tried Wanderer but I dont think it has the 3d stuff that google earth has..(could be completely wrong with the 3d stuff)

Ah that might be it.. I'm using the Oculus Store version of Google Earth

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1513995308673845

Can't get it working on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop

I'll try the Steam version though

Ah that might be it.. I'm using the Oculus Store version of Google Earth

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1513995308673845

Can't get it working on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop

I'll try the Steam version though

Download the steam version and then play it through Steam when in Virtual Desktop. Try to get connected to the 5G wifi from your router and it should work.

If using virtual desktop I expect the laptop needs to be able to run vr. My pc cannot, so I downloaded Wander

If using virtual desktop I expect the laptop needs to be able to run vr. My pc cannot, so I downloaded Wander

Does Wander have the 3D stuff that Google earth has?

I have, but when I try to run google earth vr from steam, if gives a useless error message and stops. Does steam vr come into the equation somewhere? When I try opening that it's not detecting a headset, which is why I was asking about the whole link cable thing.

When you are in vir desktop do you see a list of games and can yiu see you laptop connected via wifi?

Does Wander have the 3D stuff that Google earth has?

No Wander is purely Streetview and 360 Gallery photos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Sold my cv1, gonna buy a quest 2 Friday, Amazon the best place to get it?
    How good is wireless streaming through virtual desktop? Ive a 300meg fiber to the home connection, and a a netgear nighthawk router with 5ghz wifi, can run the likes geforce now and stadia flawlessly so should be good for wireless right.

Any ideas where to get the elite headstrap with additional battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’d say get it from oculus directly. I wouldn’t be too confident ordering anything substantial on Amazon uk these days.

You’ll probably have to pay important tax now, plus the returns can be tricky. If I’m hearing things correctly, uk retailers can refuse returns that was once covered in EU law.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’d say get it from oculus directly. I wouldn’t be too confident ordering anything substantial on Amazon uk these days.

You’ll probably have to pay important tax now, plus the returns can be tricky. If I’m hearing things correctly, uk retailers can refuse returns that was once covered in EU law.

Do Oculus ship from the EU, you could have the same issues as amazon buying from there if it's coming from the UK. I would go with Argos to be safe tbh.

Also, unrelated but are the issues with the faulty elite straps considered to be resolved now does anyone know?

Advertisement