Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

When did it arrive at AddressPal? Because usually for me it requires two full working days between the day it arrives and the day it's available for collection e.g it arrives on a Monday it's available for collection on Thursday.

It arrives on Monday and doesn't leave the UK depot until Thursday?

In my case, DHL dropped it at AddressPal UK address yesterday evening. So you reckon best case scenario is Friday before it is prepped for departure to Ireland?

I'd guess Friday or Monday you'll be collecting it from the post office. I just realised you might have done the home delivery option which I've never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Holy crap..about 75% of the posts on Reddit at the mo are about banned accounts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oculus

I'd say Oculus are gonna have to roll back this requirement...or a jailbreak is around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

mrcheez wrote: »
    Holy crap..about 75% of the posts on Reddit at the mo are about banned accounts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oculus

I'd say Oculus are gonna have to roll back this requirement...or a jailbreak is around the corner

They are just encouraging piracy with this. They having effectively bricked a bunch of peoples expensive devices and lost people a bunch of games. Honestly, this is a hell of a screw up on there.

Haven't even set up my Quest 2 yet. I have setup a new facebook account today and giving it 24 hours to make sure its ok. I followed all the rules etc, and added a couple of friends etc to be on the safe side.

Contacted support about my elite headstrap and case, and it should be shipping later, but gave me no date on when. I guess it will be November 6th for that. I can live without it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Was out when the courier called today. Tomorrow it is so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

They've a big clampdown on bots and fake accounts as part of the US election in next couple of weeks...I think that's the reason for the aggressive actions at the moment, horrible timing for their forced Oculus move though. as a lotta people with new hardware are getting stung

Shlippery wrote: »
    They've a big clampdown on bots and fake accounts as part of the US election in next couple of weeks...I think that's the reason for the aggressive actions at the moment, horrible timing for their forced Oculus move though. as a lotta people with new hardware are getting stung

If they don't get this sorted out for Christmas, I can see a lot of pissed parents returning the headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

druss wrote: »

In my case, DHL dropped it at AddressPal UK address yesterday evening. So you reckon best case scenario is Friday before it is prepped for departure to Ireland?

Think he means transport between hub and Ireland. Mine still hasn't registered as being received yet either. Was hoping against hope that maybe they just shipped a load of goods to Ireland and let it be sorted in Dublin, but think its just gotten buried under Firesticks like you said. Tempted just to pick one up in Argos if it gets to Friday with no movement. Let me know when you see movement!

wes wrote: »
    If they don't get this sorted out for Christmas, I can see a lot of pissed parents returning the the headsets.

It's insane how frequent this is. Just check the amount of OculusSupport comments in the past hour on Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

What’s everyone’s impression on the comfort? Could you watch a whole movie without getting a headache?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kerplun k wrote: »
    What’s everyone’s impression on the comfort? Could you watch a whole movie without getting a headache?

I found it quit comfortable yesterday evening once I got it sitting right, I probably could have watched a film easily enough. That was with the standard strap and the glasses spacer in.

I think everyone will be different though.

The strap is more than generous for larger craniums so that was a nice surprise!

Fit with the cloth was stable enough.

I think a replacement face-pad is on the cards though as the one that's shipped seems "OK"

I had to head to gym last night so didn't get a chance to really play with it. Will have a good session this evening though.

The main take-away from my experience so far is the overall size and weight. This thing is tiny (relatively). I mean you can hold it comfortably in one hand and it just feels like a Nintendo Switch Lite in terms of overall portability.

If hand-tracking becomes so good that we don't need the controllers then it's a true "Ready Player One" headset.

.giphy.gif

druss wrote: »

Just got a mail from AddressPal (I followed up this morning) . They confirmed they do have my parcel, it just hasn't been processed yet. They are experiencing a high volume of parcels, as expected. Your's probably in the same boat.

Edit: Just received official AddressPal notification that the parcel is on it's way! Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I had to head to gym last night so didn't get a chance to really play with it.

That’s what FitVR is for. :D

That’s what FitVR is for. :D

Ah yeah I had to resort to BoxVR when the gym closed, it was decent alright, but nothing beats the real swimming pool :D

With the way things are going though, I may have to revert back to the VR fitness.

I think a few rounds of Thrill of the Fight on the Quest 1 will be on the cards as I'm now willing to expose my old Quest to all sorts of crap ;)

I think a replacement face-pad is on the cards though as the one that's shipped seems "OK"

I got the VR cover for Quest 1, the Quest 2 version is not out yet, but you can see the page for it here:

https://vrcover.com/oculus-quest-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd get onto them about that mate. At worst they'll probably refund you a few quid.

Thanks.

Yeah they are sending out an adapter for it free of charge. Its an Aussie plug apparently.

One thing I was interested in was watching 3D films, but it seems Bigscreen not available in Ireland. Any alternatives? I have Netflix and that works fine on the Oculus.

Games media picking up the Facebook integration mess:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-15-oculus-quest-2s-are-being-bricked-by-facebook-account-merge-issues

Will eventually go mainstream I think. Real big screw up with the Facebook integration. They really need to walk it back imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Wiggedmite wrote: »
    Just got a mail from AddressPal (I followed up this morning) . They confirmed they do have my parcel, it just hasn't been processed yet. They are experiencing a high volume of parcels, as expected. Your's probably in the same boat.

Edit: Just received official AddressPal notification that the parcel is on it's way! Finally!

Mine is at Heathrow transit hub now. I checked the timeline from the my previous AddressPal home delivery, it arrived in Heathrow on Tuesday, moved to Dublin on Wednesday night, and was delivered to me in Wexford on Thursday morning.

So, with the weekend, Monday I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Decided to jump in after selling my old PC online. Got it from Very.co.uk here in the UK. Bought today, arriving tomorrow....hopefully.

bullpost wrote: »
    One thing I was interested in was watching 3D films, but it seems Bigscreen not available in Ireland. Any alternatives? I have Netflix and that works fine on the Oculus.

I normally used Skybox. It was free initially but I see it's now a paid app.

Oculus Gallery is another choice... it's actually the one I default to now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Are the films on this 3D or 360degress?

MoodeRator wrote: »

I think those two are for your own content, but could be wrong.

I was hoping for a streaming equivalent with 3D films I could rent.

MoodeRator wrote: »

You can get 360 degree videos, in fact there are several "streaming" ones available via the Videos tab which are actually quite good, like flying over Angel Falls.

They're not the highest resolution though, so you can physically upload your own videos to the device too via USB.
    bullpost wrote: »
    I think those two are for your own content, but could be wrong.

I was hoping for a streaming equivalent with 3D films I could rent.

It's actually something they really do need, but yeah for now you need to download videos or rip them yourself and upload to the headset.

For 3D you'd really want to look at 20-30GB minimum file size as otherwise you'll just see all the pixels, or it will be a blurry mess.

Seems that people have already found lots of hacks on the Quest 2 already, such as enabling 90Hz mode for all apps and increasing resolution to 2048.

It can all be done via Sidequest

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jayn7d/sidequest_version_1015_released_enable_90hz_with/

Gonna get my face into that this eve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Whats your verdict so far mrcheez? Was it worth the upgrade from 1->2

Looking forward to an in-depth review from boards's Mr quest!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Whats your verdict so far mrcheez? Was it worth the upgrade from 1->2

Looking forward to an in-depth review from boards's Mr quest!

:D

I'll let you know once I've had a good round this eve!

:D

I'll let you know once I've had a good round this eve!

oh well bit delayed here as I've had to create another new developer account on Oculus for the Facebook user, in order to get all the SideQuest goodies.

Now downloading them but it'll take a while to set them all up so alas it'll have to be tomorrow before I finally play them... boo :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Corkstpauli

Got mine yesterday, first time headset owner, very disappointed, got it mostly to watch films on large screens and tv via the prime and netflix apps as I travel a lot for work and theres an obvious problem with it. The rooms you watch the films in both have a smoky grey covering which totally distracts you from the film. From other forums it's a problem with black colours that's effecting games too. its like going to a cinema where everyone is smoking all the way through.
    Loving the vr in games demos I've tried but if media playing is your thing avoid

Advertisement