Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Winds were never really strong enough to be interesting here, but brisk enough about to be of a high nuisance value. As Nacho noted, the windiness seemed to go on for longer than usual. Also noted a distinct lack of general drying in the wind.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Did Darwin have stronger gusts than the storms of 1997 and 1998? 98 mph is very impressive, i can't recall Belmullet surpassing that, but i think Malin Head may have in the last 35 years. Am I wrong about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Winds were never really strong enough to be interesting here, but brisk enough about to be of a high nuisance value. As Nacho noted, the windiness seemed to go on for longer than usual. Also noted a distinct lack of general drying in the wind.

Mean maximum wind gusts for each of the events shown in my storm comparison table along with other named storms from 2015-16 and 2016-17 (do not have 2017-18 figures completed so cannot add). The stations used are the same as those in the table also.

The table goes in chronological order backwards from most recent to oldest.

As always with pre-2015/16 storms/depressions, the names I show here are either placeholders from wikipedia or something or names used in media like Darwin and Rachel.

If you have any suggestions of storms or notable deep depressions of the past decade to add to the table, feel free to say so.

4HMGIcF.png

Strongest storms in terms of mean wind gust data using the above table:

1. Darwin (12 Feb 2014) - 123 kph
    2. Ulli (3 Jan 2012) - 110 kph
    3. Erich (27 Dec 2013) - 109 kph
    4. Ophelia (16 Oct 2017) / Emily (18 Dec 2013) - 108 kph
    5. Ali (19 Sep 2018) / Doris (23 Feb 2017) - 107 kph

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Darwin really was a beast, and I have absolutely no memory of it somehow! Must have been when I wasn't fully interested in weather

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Darwin really was a beast, and I have absolutely no memory of it somehow! Must have been when I wasn't fully interested in weather

I was out of the country for it, i'd love to have experienced it. The last major storms i can remember are those previously mentioned storms in 1997 and 1998. I remember Drinking beer in a local pub by candlelight on St Stephens Night 1998. Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Bit of a damp squib in Tralee.
    Had some rain and hail and a bit of wind.

Not much to report in East Clare either..

Did Darwin have stronger gusts than the storms of 1997 and 1998? 98 mph is very impressive, i can't recall Belmullet surpassing that, but i think Malin Head may have in the last 35 years. Am I wrong about that?

St. Stephen's Day 1998 had a 109 mph gust at Belmullet whilst Valentia Observatory recorded a gust of 101 mph on Christmas Eve 1997. I did historical posts on both back in December in the stats thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The was another good storm the week after hurricane bawbag, around the 12th out 13th I think? On my phone so too much effort checking meteociel

Was a bit like last night but the intense showers lasted longer with large hail and plenty of thunder. Snowed towards the end of it as well

Another short lived but very intense storm just after New Year's in 2012 iirc? Reached hurricane force

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was that the one that blew the roof off of the train station down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

4Ad wrote: »
    Not much to report in East Clare either..

I blame meteorite....he was only asking for Kerry/Clare to be bypassed by posting all those wind charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Was that the one that blew the roof off of the train station down here?

That happened in December 2013 from what the internet says, Darwin was in 2014 Feb I think. It's honestly strange how I have no recollection of it seeing how strong it was down here!

The was another good storm the week after hurricane bawbag, around the 12th out 13th I think? On my phone so too much effort checking meteociel

Was a bit like last night but the intense showers lasted longer with large hail and plenty of thunder. Snowed towards the end of it as well

Another short lived but very intense storm just after New Year's in 2012 iirc? Reached hurricane force

I remember the one you're referring to in the former. In contrast to Bawbag for the UK, the strongest of the gusts with that low were in the southwest of the country and some snow fell here on 13 December, the only snow I had that entire Winter. Do remember the rain and wind vividly overnight too from the 12th. That was fun.

Wasn't that Ulli on 3 January 2012 that brought the hurricane force wind gusts to Malin Head?

Indeed it was, missed that in your list! Wasn't just gusts though, sustained wind was also hurricane force

There was another big storm in January 2009, not sure on date, just remember losing power for a couple of days and going up to the cliffs feel its full force

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I must say wasn't expecting so much rain today, a lot more than yesterday, surprised there wasn't a yellow rainfall warning for the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I remember the one you're referring to in the former. In contrast to Bawbag for the UK, the strongest of the gusts with that low were in the southwest of the country and some snow fell here on 13 December, the only snow I had that entire Winter. Do remember the rain and wind vividly overnight too from the 12th. That was fun.

Wasn't that Ulli on 3 January 2012 that brought the hurricane force wind gusts to Malin Head?

There was a storm that hit malin Head a few years back that happened when we were relatively new to our house, and we moved there in 01/11.

This was before all the Interest in naming storms, but all I remember was being awake most of the night listening to it, afraid the house was going to come apart! I took a couple of walks around the house in the wee small hours, expecting to see tiles missing and trees down,but only damage was a roof aerial down.

It appears it was probably Bawbag now, looking a wind speeds. Quality name.

The lasting memory of that storm for me was the sustained wind. It wasn't windy then gusts, just appeared to be constant noise, like it was roughly same speed all the time. I remember the next day they stated that the average speed for an hour in malin Head was something incredible like 80mph. To have an average speed of that shows just how mad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Cycling uphill into the storm on the way home was nigh on impossible. Felt like I wasn't moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not a Dublin event but breezy overnight all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a Dublin event but breezy overnight all the same.

Why did I read this like the "if a tree falls in a forest and no-one is around to hear it does it make a noise" line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It hit the south quite badly. I was working in Limerick at the time. Massive ancient trees were torn up, roofs tore up... there was widespread damage. A tree fell through the house I was staying in and it tore apart a lot of the outside structures.

1604517_736312416388486_1693827410_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That happened in December 2013 from what the internet says, Darwin was in 2014 Feb I think. It's honestly strange how I have no recollection of it seeing how strong it was down here!

Interesting then, because I have no recall of Darwin either!

I do remember Ophelia as the strongest winds I've experienced, but others here had a mediocre day with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting then, because I have no recall of Darwin either!

I do remember Ophelia as the strongest winds I've experienced, but others here had a mediocre day with that.

we did not see Ophelia up here; she turned right at Clare thankfully. no damage out here from gareth but on the mainland damaged houses and power cuts. Lifetime residents out here speak of gareth as very bad and the worst for a very long time.

and right now our very own marine gale is raging.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Still wet & windy in the Dublin Mts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting gale 8 here all morning near Arklow and no gale warning from met eireann TUT TUT...
    Gusted above 80kmh this last hour a good few times,tree waving stuff
    All met eireann have out I'd their typical yellow marine warning youd have for s ses breeze..

Edit I take it back there is s gale warning for the Irish sea mea culpa
    You have to dig in and look for it into the sea area forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Gusting gale 8 here all morning near Arklow and no gale warning from met eireann TUT TUT...
    Gusted above 80kmh this last hour a good few times,tree waving stuff
    All met eireann have out I'd their typical yellow marine warning youd have for s ses breeze..

Edit I take it back there is s gale warning for the Irish sea mea culpa
    You have to dig in and look for it into the sea area forecast

A gale warning is issued for mean winds of gales force 8, not just gusts. I'm sure mean over the sea may have warranted a warning but not over land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

The wind in Wicklow is unreal tonight. House is creaking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A gale warning is issued for mean winds of gales force 8, not just gusts. I'm sure mean over the sea may have warranted a warning but not over land.

Always check marine forecasts. today more gales..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Still wet & windy in the Dublin Mts

Same again this morning. No let up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It hit the south quite badly. I was working in Limerick at the time. Massive ancient trees were torn up, roofs tore up... there was widespread damage. A tree fell through the house I was staying in and it tore apart a lot of the outside structures.

The thing was that Storm Darwin became a nowcast with met Eireann only highlighting it as an orange event in some areas as sheds were being torn apart and trees were coming down completely blocking roads around here for miles.

Livestock were electrocuted and died from fallen electricity lines in fields. Some animals were caught in sheds as roofs were blown off.

All this sounds crazy but at the height of the storm here at around 1.00 PM in the day the postman turned up. I tried to get him to stay and shelter but he decided to go on and only narrowly avoided being flattened by an avenue where many trees were felled by the strength of the wind in minutes.

The other thing I remember was I had moved a high sided trailer to the side of the house with twelve bags of cement in it. At the peak of the storm - this was rocking up off its wheels. It was very fortunate that more lives weren't lost imo.

Advertisement