Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm 13 years old.

It's Saturday night and I'm at home.

Match of the Day is on.

It's fairly entertaining.

It becomes part of my weekly TV show list:

The Crystal Maze, The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Red Dwarf, Quantum Leap...

I end up becoming an Arsenal fan.

At no point did being Irish or English come into it. Literally never crossed my mind because it means nothing when it comes to entertainment.

Why on earth did you watch Red Dwarf and not support an Irish sitcom instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Why on earth did you watch Red Dwarf and not support an Irish sitcom instead? :)

I tried to watch Fair City but I died.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

8-10 wrote: »
    The main point of that post was the "so what?"

Why do people care why or how people support their club?

It's a superiority complex.

Couldn't care less who people support. What a waste of time being precious about that.

The easily offended brigade these days. Jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

grenadino wrote: »
    A Spanish person asked me the same thing recently. I suppose my only answer was that we don't have a professional league in Ireland, and that there is a long history of emigration to certain UK cities and Irish players joining certain clubs in the UK.
    But someone in Ireland who supported Verona or Atalanta or Real Betis would be seen as a bit odd or left field. To me, it's no different than supporting Utd or Spurs etc. All foreign teams to me.
    I used to support Man Utd, then just lost interest in the whole thing around 16 or 17. It's all very predictable across Europe too. I'd nearly get more enjoyment out of watching the Championship as there always seems to be more of a spread of teams who can get promoted.
    I've lost interest in football. I'd watch it, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch. Seeing how grown men act like chimps / kids is also pathetic.
    I went to my first game of pro basketball recently in Spain, and it was way better than any football game in terms of entertainment.
    What really makes me laugh is lads in Ireland going on with the "we" stuff.... Seriously like...

There is a pro leauge in Ireland. Some teams are semi pro but the leauge as a whole is pro

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

There is a pro leauge in Ireland. Some teams are semi pro but the leauge as a whole is pro

I'd hardly call it a pro league similar to Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland, England etc. The facilities certainly aren't.
    And to the person who reckoned fans wouldn't travel if teams got relegated. Plenty of Leeds Utd fans travel over to England from Ireland.

• Advertisement

grenadino wrote: »
    I'd hardly call it a pro league similar to Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland, England etc. The facilities certainly aren't.
    And to the person who reckoned fans wouldn't travel if teams got relegated. Plenty of Leeds Utd fans travel over to England from Ireland.

Obviously not to the same standard.

Still pro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

One of the more frustrating things is people supporting English teams to various degrees, and then failing to understand why our international team is crap. Every penny spent by an Irish person strengthens English football to the detriment of Irish football. So if the entertainment is better in England, fine but then you share ownership for the absolute shambles that Irish football is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

D14Rugby wrote: »
    You can stop bringing it up because its Sunday league so its not applicable as fans can be of both, its not like supporting Cork and Cobh it's like supporting Cork and College Corinthians which many do but the reason the numbers aren't as high is because many supporters of LOI team would play for their Sunday league team and they're a lot more common so the supporter pool is diluted. I have explained this before you just chose to ignore it as it didn't suit your narrative, as you have many other things too.

It doesn't matter if it's Sunday League or not because the 'real fans' brigade keep saying level doesn't matter. All that matters is local local local. You are ignoring it because it doesn't suit your narrative.
    If you watch Bohemians when you could be watching Tolka Rovers, then you're a prestige chasing glory hunter. Tolka Rovers pitch has just as many people liviing around is as Bohemians pitch. Bohemians have a bigger stadium, but real fans should not care for such things.
    Population density doesn't matter? What are you on? If you have 60k people within 5 minutes of the ground of course you'll have higher attendances than if you have 6k within 5 minutes of the ground. Lots of Dublin teams and look where they are, Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Tallaght, Inchicore, then you've UCD and Cabo who are special cases, hardly GAA or Rugby strongholds those areas are they and very populated which is why thay have more fans than Galway which is a city dominated by GAA and Rugby and the ground isn't in a highly populated area of the city.

Croke Park is in Drumcondra. The larger frickin stadium in the country and it's dedicated to GAA.
    Bohs get more fans than tolka rovers because if Bohs get 3k a game and there's 10 teams around the area then that's 300 per team and that's not even accounting for fans playing for the Sunday league team or the attendance including away fans or tourists or people that have moved away. This is really simple logical thinking here I mean come on keep up

That's not an explanation. Why should a Leinster Senior League team not get more fans than a League of Ireland Premier Division team?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bateman wrote: »
    One of the more frustrating things is people supporting English teams to various degrees, and then failing to understand why our international team is crap. Every penny spent by an Irish person strengthens English football to the detriment of Irish football. So if the entertainment is better in England, fine but then you share ownership for the absolute shambles that Irish football is.

Our international team wasn't crap in the 1980s, or 2002, or 2014. Average gates in Scotland are higher than here, even discounting the Old Firm, yet Ireland & Scotland international teams levels not much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Should have fined all the Irish supporters of English teams instead of sacking Delaney. He could have pissed that down the drain then too.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

I boycotted Father Ted because it was made by a British TV Channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it's Sunday League or not because the 'real fans' brigade keep saying level doesn't matter. All that matters is local local local. You are ignoring it because it doesn't suit your narrative.
    If you watch Bohemians when you could be watching Tolka Rovers, then you're a prestige chasing glory hunter. Tolka Rovers pitch has just as many people liviing around is as Bohemians pitch. Bohemians have a bigger stadium, but real fans should not care for such things.

Croke Park is in Drumcondra. The larger frickin stadium in the country and it's dedicated to GAA.

That's not an explanation. Why should a Leinster Senior League team not get more fans than a League of Ireland Premier Division team?

Are you genuinely having trouble reading or skipping words that don't suit you.
    Because its non league you can support both!!!

Ah yes because a club plays in Croke park don't they? There's a game there every week isn't there?

Again are you thick? Because there's hundreds of them so the support is more diluted and spread out than the 20 LOI clubs.

The fact you even compare football to a tv show says everything about you as a "supporter"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

These conversations are mad. How can we apply warped adult logic to.what is a state of mind that sets in you when you are a child.

I was brought to nearly every bohs game for over a decade as a child. My dad is still a member. I'm just not a fan though. I've been a few times as an adult, still not a fan. I follow their progress, watch clips online, chat to my dad and some colleagues about them but it just never worked for me.

I love watching Liverpool, always have. Have loved the chance, however slim that they might beat the best in the world, or even be the best in the world.

Its just they way it is. No point applying judgement to it, by you or me.

Some people love local bands, others love new bands but most people either like classic bands or pop music.

Some people even love Cavan Cola, but most drink Coke or pepsi.

Food, booze, art, we could do this analogy forever.

If you had invested the same energy in supporting bohs you'd be happier. Live football beats something on telly any day. Sad to see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    The fact you even compare football to a tv show says everything about you as a "supporter"

The majority of football I watch is on tv, what's the difference?

I think this is the saddest thread I've ever read on Boards😩 I dream of a day where teams are getting big attendances in the LOI, we are taking scalps in Europe and your town stops if they get to an fai cup final or far in Europe. Its what dreams are made of. The community driving behind a club. Seeing my local club win a national title is a dream for me. I can connect to it. I play with the club. How anyone thinks its normal and makes you proud to follow an English team, it makes me sick. Support your own.

This is in the bracket of those people who think celtic are the biggest club in Ireland.......

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I think this is the saddest thread I've ever read on Boards�� I dream of a day where teams are getting big attendances in the LOI, we are taking scalps in Europe and your town stops if they get to an fai cup final or far in Europe. Its what dreams are made of. The community driving behind a club. Seeing my local club win a national title is a dream for me. I can connect to it. I play with the club. How anyone thinks its normal and makes you proud to follow an English team, it makes me sick. Support your own.

No thanks, I feel no connection to my local LOI club. I go to games and played for them underage but it's not the same. They play away from home and I can't watch.

Each to their own

No thanks, I feel no connection to my local LOI club. I go to games and played for them underage but it's not the same. They play away from home and I can't watch.

Each to their own

They play away from home and I can't watch, what does that mean?

I don't get your point?

If they're not there then they're no longer fans, so I wouldn't care about them. There'll still be people there. Less, yes, but still some. I don't have any expectation that the ground would be full in League 1, that's not why I support the team.

You seem to be missing the point that I make over and over that I support the team on the pitch. I love the atmosphere but as I've said the atmosphere changes game to game based on context, time of day, opposition etc.

The bad times are very very important. Losing 6-1 to Stoke matters, losing the Champions League Final last year matters. Because it's part of what we do on the pitch and without those games the Champions League win last week wouldn't feel as good.

I wouldn't swap this for anything. And we'll be relegated or win trophies in future. I can't wait.

There is no way you'd be supporting them and saying 'we' if the pool were relegated. You'd be back under your rock and out with a man city Jersey on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some fairly disgruntled LOI fans on here.
    How can ye tell others they should be with ye when all ye give off is a stink of begrudgery.
    I'd hate to be at match with ye, I'd say all ye do is moan about everyone else. :pac:
    Relax and try to enjoy yourselves lads!

Each to their own

What are you on about? You can travel to an away game and watch it live? With the days of social media, streaming and the roads improving on an 800 mile island and your best reason is you can't watch them away. God help us.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    How can ye tell others they should be with ye when all ye give off is a stink of begrudgery.
    I'd hate to be at match with ye, I'd say all ye do is moan about everyone else. :pac:

That's pretty much exactly what it's like :D

Let off steam after the work week with a load of lads instead of sitting at home watching Love Island wondering why your relationship is so crap :)

blade1 wrote: »

Christ man. Its like supporting England in a world cup when Ireland are at it as well.

They play away from home and I can't watch, what does that mean?

There's no live tv coverage for away games that happen on a Friday when I wouldn't be able to travel. Nothing reliable compared to Liverpool where I can get to see every game including pre-season friendlies via BT, Sky, LFC TV etc.

I can't go down the pub and watch my local LOI team after work on a Friday when they're playing in Limerick or Longford or somewhere. If I don't go to the game I can't watch.

What are you on about? You can travel to an away game and watch it live? With the days of social media, streaming and the roads improving on an 800 mile island and your best reason is you can't watch them away. God help us.

Games are on Friday's these days. I work Friday I can't go to everything mate. And even if I could I'm just not as connected to the club as I am with Liverpool.

I have Liverpool content coming at me from everywhere, really good quality stuff not just the games either.

If you had invested the same energy in supporting bohs you'd be happier. Live football beats something on telly any day. Sad to see

Exactly. I'd rather be in these crowds than in a Dublin pub with Dublin Liverpool fans signing you will never walk alone.

It's this atmosphere is what they are missing out.

https://www.facebook.com/20869165701/posts/10161516141990702/ from the last rovers game where bohs won down in tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That's pretty much exactly what it's like :D

Let off steam after the work week with a load of lads instead of sitting at home watching Love Island wondering why your relationship is so crap :)
    You must really hate your job :P

It's this atmosphere is what they are missing out

Fine missing that, and more power to you doing what you enjoy! :)

There's no live tv coverage for away games that happen on a Friday when I wouldn't be able to travel. Nothing reliable compared to Liverpool where I can get to see every game including pre-season friendlies via BT, Sky, LFC TV etc.

I can't go down the pub and watch my local LOI team after work on a Friday when they're playing in Limerick or Longford or somewhere. If I don't go to the game I can't watch.

And that's a huge problem for the sport here.
    The fai and RTÉ don't care.
    They are showing all the women's world Cup games but show 16 LOI games this season.

If they showed a game every Friday, interest would pick up.

Fine missing that, and more power to you doing what you enjoy! :)

Pretty much the same as staying back and singing ynwa when Liverpool beat man utd or Everton away from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What about all the English footballers who have played for the Irish national team over the years? Are Irish people not allowed to support them or is it just English clubs that they shouldn't support?

Advertisement