Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looks like Diarmuid's out for the rest of the season with a wrist injury.

Things can't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10052817/

No mention of Cillian which will annoy some people...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Things can't get any worse.

Bad news alright, nothing worse than losing a load of players to injury.

It's a pity too as with everyone back Mayo had more balance in midfield and in the half forwards. Is this a bigger loss than Ruane given his versatility?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Donie Vaughan is useful at midfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »

It's a pity too as with everyone back Mayo had more balance in midfield and in the half forwards. Is this a bigger loss than Ruane given his versatility?

I think so. Ruane was a big loss but still felt we could manage without him. We're plugging holes in midfield now though. Losing the captain can't be good for morale either. Hope Paddy can take the role by the scruff of the neck.

Kind of feel Saturday is becoming a taller order. Even if we get over that game, our days are numbered, I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10052817/

No mention of Cillian which will annoy some people...

Oh god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

No COC, DOC and Ruane certainly levels the playing field somewhat

This could be a right slog

I've seen feck all of Armagh but over the years they certainly seem hard beat in the back door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

But no one can deny that we're very light on backup right now. That's as weak a bench that I can remember for a long time. An injury to the likes of Aidan or Diarmuid would be a hammer blow.

:(

Luck isn't on our side. To lose Ruane and Diarmuid for the season in the space of two weeks is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

km79 wrote: »
    We know that now
    But that’s not what Horan said Saturday
    As is his perogative
    But I don’t believe him about Cillian
    Listen to it and make our own mind up

FFS give it a rest. Does he have to run everything by you to make sure you are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Vaughan and S O'Shea trained and are available for selection both would be options to partner A'Shea in midfield https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10052817/ A bit odd no mention of C O'Connor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

vaughan may be a bench option, but I'd imagine SOS is wayyy off match fitness.

Was it 2017 the last time he had an extended run of games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'd say they're both off fitness required for a full 70 mins if they've only just returned to full training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

PressRun wrote: »
    I'd say they're both off fitness required for a full 70 mins if they've only just returned to full training.
    35 minutes each will have to do . Necessity is the Mother of invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

blinding wrote: »
    35 minutes each will have to do . Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I think for midfield he needs to put someone in that is match fit. I can only think of Keegan and bring back in Michael Plunkett. Its too risky with guys just back.

This has really made a balls of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any of ye ever used GAA GO? Uncle cant go Saturday, i thought i'd get this for him but wondering do they show all the pre match and post coverage from RTE/Sky or just the game itself? And yes i know its not supposed to be available in Ireland but that wont be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any of ye ever used GAA GO? Uncle cant go Saturday, i thought i'd get this for him but wondering do they show all the pre match and post coverage from RTE/Sky or just the game itself? And yes i know its not supposed to be available in Ireland but that wont be an issue
    You should check out now tv sports pass might be cheaper and easier.

irishgeo wrote: »

I often get that myself but for some reason never works on his laptop, and tried everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I often get that myself but for some reason never works on his laptop, and tried everything.
    Its probably sliverlight which only works with internet explorer. Chrome dropped support for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stoner wrote: »

I think a fully fit DOC is one of the top players in the country, he has been labored with injury now for the last 2 years and just doesn't seem to be able to get a consistent run to maintain that.

Our whole midfield has been shredded now in the last 2 years.

Its a downer for the squad, but need to step up now once more and cover it.

The extra games in the qualifiers and super 8s though will take its toll on this squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

FFS give it a rest. Does he have to run everything by you to make sure you are happy.

No
    That’s why I said as was his prerogative

However I do not believe him
    It is one of 2 scenarios
    1. His injury is worse than we know
    2. There was a falling out (most likely because he Came back and played for his club too early and aggravated injury )

I’d be inclined to go with 1

Either way it’s more bad news . He obviously didn’t train . And therefore won’t make Saturday
    Which could be our last game of the season

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Raises serious questions about the nature of the training going on.

Eh no it doesnt ffs, why are you trying to read something into this? You could break your wrist in the most innocuous accidental contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

yop wrote: »
    I think a fully fit DOC is one of the top players in the country, he has been labored with injury now for the last 2 years and just doesn't seem to be able to get a consistent run to maintain that.

Our whole midfield has been shredded now in the last 2 years.

Its a downer for the squad, but need to step up now once more and cover it.

The extra games in the qualifiers and super 8s though will take its toll on this squad.

Agreed, still think we have the players to make the Super 8s, but I think the latter stages will be beyond us with the injuries we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

jr86 wrote: »
    I've seen feck all of Armagh but over the years they certainly seem hard beat in the back door

Not sure that would be a thought that is shared in Armagh. We have had a couple of useful runs recently but we always hit our ceiling, which is invariably a top eight team. Your good selves are unquestionably top eight, so recent trends do not augur well. Mayo are favourites and rightly so.

That said, there is a sense up here that the best days for this team are ahead of them and they are building a bit of momentum which will hopefully mean we can give it a right rattle on Saturday. Truth be told, we got the worst possible draw in the last round and put in a great performance, so a lot of people were really disheartened when we got this draw - possibly second only to away to Tyrone in terms of the draw we didn't want.

It should though be a good, open game. The feeling in Armagh is that you will let us play but of course in turn your own attack could make a lot hay against our defence, which can be open and concede a lot of poor frees.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Diarmuid O'Connor out for the season.
    Along with Mathew Ruane.
    And no sign of Tom Parson's or Seamie O'Se's return.

Very hard to see Mayo reaching the Super8s now.

Pity really as I think this might be Andy Moran and possibly Keith Higgins last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

Along with Mathew Ruane.

Pity really as I think this might be Andy Moran and possibly Keith Higgins last year.

Seamus O'Shea & Donal Vaughan took full part in training and is available for selection according to Mayo Co Board statement.
    Obviously not match fit though...

Along with Mathew Ruane.

Its frustrating not knowing how far way either of those two are, or the other injuries for that matter.

Still, win this game and we play one of Galway, Cavan, Meath or Cork. I wouldnt be throwing in the towel just yet. I think its absolutely crucial we reach the Super 8's, the experience alone for the younger players will be invaluable

ya actually Sky on Now TV is €10 for 24 hours so will get both games on Saturday, GAA Go is €10 per game

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Its frustrating not knowing how far way either of those two are, or the other injuries for that matter.

Still, win this game and we play one of Galway, Cavan, Meath or Cork. I wouldnt be throwing in the towel just yet. I think its absolutely crucial we reach the Super 8's, the experience alone for the younger players will be invaluable

True but I think unfortunately this Mayo team is in transition. The older lads are on their last legs. There's a nice core of younger players in their mid twenties. But once one of these gets injured such as Diarmuid O'Connor the team is in trouble.

There's a lot of younger players coming through but need a bit more experience as you say.

Given Mayo won the League, reaching the Super8s would be another good outcome for the team.

Anyone would write a Mayo team off at their peril and I hope they do it again, but on paper I think they will struggle against Armagh and if they beat them whoever comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Along with Mathew Ruane.

Ah jaysus, I just remembered seeing Parsons' injury last year. It was stomach churning. It really did look like a career ender, and probably would have been a few years ago. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lest we all wallow in the misery of another very serious setback the minors are in action tonight at 7.30.

Connacht minor football semi final at Mac Hale Park.

Mayo v Sligo

Worst ways to pass a couple of hours on this glorious evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement