Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

we never get anything easy do we

Mayo had a string of easy qualifiers in 16 and 17, the easiest possible QF both years and avoided the Dublin semi final both years. Middle of the road draws last year. Bit of self awareness needed

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

The GAA can confirm the following fixture details.

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Round Three Qualifiers

Kildare v Tyrone, St Conleth's Park, 5pm LIVE ON SKY

Westmeath v Clare, TEG Cusack Park, 6pm

Laois v Offaly, O'Moore Park, 7pm

Mayo v Armagh, Elverys MacHale Park, 7pm LIVE ON SKY

Please note: All referees to be confirmed and ET if necessary and winner on the day in all fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Mayo had a string of easy qualifiers in 16 and 17, the easiest possible QF both years and avoided the Dublin semi final both years. Middle of the road draws last year. Bit of self awareness needed

Welcome back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

Hulk Hands wrote: »

While you're exaggerating there (Ulster Champions QF 2016) I would agree, I don't think we have had difficult roads in the qualifiers, we haven't had easy ones either, they're pretty much middle of the road ones, the same as this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Barlett wrote: »
    While you're exaggerating there (Ulster Champions QF 2016) I would agree, I don't think we have had difficult roads in the qualifiers, we haven't had easy ones either, they're pretty much middle of the road ones, the same as this year.

I think the A/B qualifier draw was in place in 2016?

If I remember correctly we could only get either Dublin or Tyrone in the quarters. Since we drew Westmeath in round 4 (instead of Donegal as well) we then had to play Tyrone, so that was certainly a much more fortunate scenario

• Advertisement

I hope all the people here whinging a few weeks ago about the timing of the Down game will be spare a thought for the Armagh fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭PressRun

I hope all the people here whinging a few weeks ago about the timing of the Down game will be spare a thought for the Armagh fans.

Certainly am.

7pm is crazy for fans who have to travel long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Barlett wrote: »

You couldn't play Galway in 2016 as already played, so the draw was either Dublin Kerry or Tyrone. Dub and Kerry were on B side and you A so you avoided both until the final. Tyrone certainly the easiest.

There were 11 possible scenarios today, Tyrone home/away, Westmeath away etc. Armagh at home is the 5th hardest if you rate them better than Kildare. So middle of the road seems apt

Tickets details available. €20 in, €5 for juveniles. Always thought they charged extra for stand admission as opposed to the rest of the ground?

http://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/40168/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship-round-3-mayo-v-armagh-elverys-mchale-park-29-June-2019

EDIT: and no print at home option either. Post only. Why the print at home facility is available for some games and not others is absolutely bloody ridiculous in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tickets details available. €20 in, €5 for juveniles. Always thought they charged extra for stand admission as opposed to the rest of the ground?

http://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/40168/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship-round-3-mayo-v-armagh-elverys-mchale-park-29-June-2019

EDIT: and no print at home option either. Post only. Why the print at home facility is available for some games and not others is absolutely bloody ridiculous in 2019.

No stand tickets for sale there, just general Admission

• Advertisement

No stand tickets for sale there, just general Admission

Different rules for the qualifiers as opposed to a provincial fixture then. Normally you pay extra for stand admission. Forecast currently not great for Saturday evening. Would want to be there early if you want to stay dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

They weren't whinging but rather voicing a very valid complaint and I've ample sympathy for the Armagh supporters but I'm sure they're big enough and old enough to voice same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

seligehgit wrote:
    They weren't whinging but rather voicing a very valid complaint and I've ample sympathy for the Armagh supporters but I'm sure they're big enough and old enough to voice same.
    The Down game also wasnt on any t.v. station.

At least those who cant make this one can watch it on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Different rules for the qualifiers as opposed to a provincial fixture then. Normally you pay extra for stand admission. Forecast currently not great for Saturday evening. Would want to be there early if you want to stay dry!

And i presume stand tickets will be dearer? Though maybe not, doubt too many will be going on public sale anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

And i presume stand tickets will be dearer? Though maybe not, doubt too many will be going on public sale anyway

General admission so no separate stand tickets. Once stand is full people will be directed to terraces.

I dont really buy this tbh. If you want to judge in this manner then you can say dublin lost to the now eliminated monaghan team...

I think we just need to calm down a little and look at the facts. The first one being we are on the backfoot with a lot of injuries. The second one being confidence was undoubtedly well down after the roscommon game.
    We need a bit of luck in the next draw and if we get it we might have some breathing room to build momentum.
    We won the game and that was all we needed to do. Now onto game 4

What I was getting at is that what we, as fans, got from the success of the the league as a guide to where this team are at may have to be reevaluated.

I thought they were on the up, they had benefited from the long layoff and we're once again back to being a real top team.

But based on the Roscommon game and the feedback from the Down game there seems to be real cause for concern.

I get it they have been unlucky with the continued absence of Cillian and the injury to Ruane, but the elephant in the room is their defence.

My worry is that Higgins is done and that Horan has no one to replace him, or no idea how to replace him.

Teams will traget Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,188 ✭✭✭✭km79

What I was getting at is that what we, as fans, got from the success of the the league as a guide to where this team are at may have to be reevaluated.

I thought they were on the up, they had benefited from the long layoff and we're once again back to being a real top team.

But based on the Roscommon game and the feedback from the Down game there seems to be real cause for concern.

I get it they have been unlucky with the continued absence of Cillian and the injury to Ruane, but the elephant in the room is their defence.

My worry is that Higgins is done and that Horan has no one to replace him, or no idea how to replace him.

He could start by giving Eoin o Donoghue a few minutes!

km79 wrote: »
    He could start by giving Eoin o Donoghue a few minutes!

And this has always been my worry about the second coming of James Horan

Will he be too loyal to the guys who did it for him before, even if they are beginning to show their age ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

And this has always been my worry about the second coming of James Horan

Will he be too loyal to the guys who did it for him before, even if they are beginning to show their age ?

He’s allready doing it look at the hennelly saga

naughto wrote: »
    He’s allready doing it look at the hennelly saga

True
    Hennelly used to get far more game time under Horan 1, than he did after 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

True
    Hennelly used to get far more game time under Horan 1, than he did after 2014.

Clarke was 1st choice in 2012 and 2013 until he got the bad injury which kept him out for 2014 as well. Hennelly was actually 3rd choice at the start of 2013 championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Hennelly was actually 3rd choice at the start of 2013 championship.

Wasn't even in the panel

Kenneth O'Malley and Paul mannion were the back up keepers in 2012. When Clarke and O'Malley got injured, RH got called up

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Maurice Deegan is the man in the middle on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 48,188 ✭✭✭✭km79

According to ah ref
    Akram and Cian Hanley are gone to america

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Higgins performance and like wise McLaughlins haven't been great this year. Both look leggy. Hopefully with more games they will lose that, but I hope its not the end of the line approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

Hi Lads

Living in Dublin and was thinking of taking my Dad to this game. We follow Mayo all over the country and Dad is a good age . Was last in McHale Park for the league closer against Monaghan and brought him to Croker for the final. Gave Newry a miss but had it on midwest for him. Plan is to drive down and back on Saturday.

Question is re the tickets whats the protocol ? If I buy them online on link below that gets us into the stand or terrace? I need him to be as comfortable as possible i.e a seat in the stand out of the rain as he is not long out of hospital and mad keen to go.

Also echo the thoughts about posting tickets and not having the option of emailing them. Had e tickets for the Monaghan game in the league Crazy stuff in 2019!!

Any advice appreciated

cossy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

cossy09 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

Living in Dublin and was thinking of taking my Dad to this game. We follow Mayo all over the country and Dad is a good age . Was last in McHale Park for the league closer against Monaghan and brought him to Croker for the final. Gave Newry a miss but had it on midwest for him. Plan is to drive down and back on Saturday.

Question is re the tickets whats the protocol ? If I buy them online on link below that gets us into the stand or terrace? I need him to be as comfortable as possible i.e a seat in the stand out of the rain as he is not long out of hospital and mad keen to go.

Also echo the thoughts about posting tickets and not having the option of emailing them. Had e tickets for the Monaghan game in the league Crazy stuff in 2019!!

Any advice appreciated

cossy

First come first served in the stand.
    Be warned though, Mayo fans have been arriving earlier and earlier to games, lots waiting on the gates to open.
    If you want a decent seat in the stand, I reckon you'll need to be there at least an hour ahead of throw-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

km79 wrote: »
    According to ah ref
    Akram and Cian Hanley are gone to america

I'd be very surprised at that with the GRG business going well. I've dealt with them and they are very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Why wouldnt they?
    I wouldnt call it whining tbh. I know of people who didnt get home until 3 in the morning from last weekends match. If we had woken up to news of fatalities in a traffic accident in the small hours, the people who were giving mayo fans both barrells would have been very silent. It was idiotic then and it is idiotic again this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Only for two stupid mistakes against Roscommon, we would have won. We would have most likely taken Galway. We would have been in the super eights and the doom and gloom would not be so high.

We have fixed the first mistake with Clarke and Higgins is still an issue, but the real bigger problem is that confidence is now low and this makes us vulnerable all over the pitch in these qualifiers.

I do think we will improve once we get to CP, so we just need to get through these next two games in whatever manner.

Also, we cannot give Geezer a bigger head than he already has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement