Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

urranger wrote: »
    So who are the players you expect to shine in 2021?
    My predictions....
    1. Oisin Mullen will be converted to midfield.
    2. The Mc Cormack lad from Claremorris will slot into full back.
    3. Reape from Knockmore will take over in goals.
    All 3 will be central figures for us.
    Thoughts???
    it's too short of a season for anything drastic I think. Unless we have a few retirements.

can't see any crowd's back this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

urranger wrote: »
    So who are the players you expect to shine in 2021?
    My predictions....
    1. Oisin Mullen will be converted to midfield.
    2. The Mc Cormack lad from Claremorris will slot into full back.
    3. Reape from Knockmore will take over in goals.
    All 3 will be central figures for us.
    Thoughts???

Mullin maybe to halfback but don't see him at midfield just yet.
    Isn't McCoy acknowledged a halfback?
    Can see Clarke continuing for another year but with a clear mandate that he is to tutor Reape and clear in the knowledge that his place isn't guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can see Clarke continuing for another year but with a clear mandate that he is to tutor Reape and clear in the knowledge that his place isn't guaranteed.

Another keeper has to be brought in as understudy for the year.
    Probably two keepers !
    Has to be given game time in the league as well ......

I think Mullen will end up midfield as well but not yet.

With the short turnaround I don’t see drastic changes. We are basically into next season already. We are in a good place for a right run at it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

For a second I was wondering who Mc Coy was.:)

I too thought James Mc Cormack was an acknowledged half back,although I think he played a few FBD games in full back line.He did'nt get much of a look in this year.

Brickendon from Westport will likely get further game time,James Horan seems to rate him.Is Seamus Cunniffe worth a look at for the full back position?

That's a position that needs to be seriously addressed.

I'd like to see Reape get a shot at number 1 during the league.

Oisín Mullin seems willing to commit for a few years anyway,all comers see him as Matthew Ruane's long term partner,certainly a half back IMO.

Any chance Eoin O Donoghue might get a slot in the full back line?

Jason Doc back for another year.

What's the story with Brendan Harrison?I know he was injured but is he taking a step away from the inter county scene.

Somebody posted same a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

If we were playing Dublin again I'd like Mullin at 6, Coen at midfield on Fenton and Diarmuid back in the forwards. He's too much of a scoring threat to be in midfield.

Hopefully Carr, McDonagh and Mark Moran get an injury free run this year. I think they've the most potential out of our younger forwards. Moran only turned 20 last month so should have plenty room for improvement.

Harrison getting back fit would be a huge boost too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Kalyke

km79 wrote: »

"Cork by birth...Mayo by the grace of God!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Not sure if injury related but he saw no action in the FBD, NFL and Championship last year while he featured a lot in 2019 including a start against Dublin in the All Ireland semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I know plenty who lost a lot of respect for Vaughan over his changing clubs, understandable if he was working in the East but not 20mins away!

• Advertisement

Not sure if injury related but he saw no action in the FBD, NFL and Championship last year while he featured a lot in 2019 including a start against Dublin in the All Ireland semi final.

Injured /recovering from injury
    His mobility around the middle third was a huge asset and was badly missed imo
    A great servant to the county team still underrated by many
    Croke Park really suited him

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

The needless Red card will cast a shadow

Shoes was the quintessential Horan prototype of a player. Really came into his own on the hard ground in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Overall an admirer of Donal Vaughan .
    It would take him half a season to be upto game pace and by that time his performances in his power running were top notch and also in Croke park . Some of his runs were mindless and some were just simply unstoppable . Great servant to Mayo Gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Enda Gilvarry appointed manager of Ballintubber.

Happy retirement to Donal Vaughan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

Good luck to Donie (Ray) Vaughan on his retirement.
    Also, to Enda at Ballintubber. It will be interesting to see how he gets on there with an aging team (my oppinion!).

The way this pandemic is going we'll be lucky to see any club or county league action this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Seems David Clarke has retired. Might inject a bit of urgency into the goalkeeper issue now.

PressRun wrote: »
    Seems David Clarke has retired. Might inject a bit of urgency into the goalkeeper issue now.

Disaster that he has gone without a replacement being blooded tbh
    We will appreciate him more in his absence I fear

Disaster that he has gone without a replacement being blooded tbh
    We will appreciate him more in his absence I fear

Well Andy Moran made the point himself when he retired that the only way he could make sure younger players got a chance was by walking away from it. Same logic might apply. The goalkeeper issue has been kicked down the road for years.

It's a sad indictment on Rochie and Horan that no future planning on the goalkeeping side was put in place.

Huge gaping hole left now. Don't think Robbie for all his good side can be relied upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well Andy Moran made the point himself when he retired that the only way he could make sure younger players got a chance was by walking away from it. Same logic might apply. The goalkeeper issue has been kicked down the road for years.

This is it. I hope someone new comes in as Hennelly is not the answer. Hennelly is grand at club level but intercounty is beyond him.

This is it. I hope someone new comes in as Hennelly is not the answer. Hennelly is grand at club level but intercounty is beyond him.

I would hope they have someone in mind. Maybe they do, I feel a lot has been kept under wraps on terms of camp leaks this year, so I honestly wouldn't know. But this retirement should force Horan's hand now to sort it out if it hasn't been already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Unless there is somebody standing out it will probably be Hennelly.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Unless there is somebody standing out it will probably be Hennelly.

Reape from Knockmore has the kickouts and think also the temperament. Former underage county forward as well so playing as the plus one shouldn't be an issue like it was for Clarke and Hennelly. Clarke would get to the 21, get a nose bleed and turn backwards with the ball. Hennelly would take off with his solos and then a high probability that his bandpass or kick pass would put someone in trouble.

I would hope they have someone in mind. Maybe they do, I feel a lot has been kept under wraps on terms of camp leaks this year, so I honestly wouldn't know. But this retirement should force Horan's hand now to sort it out if it hasn't been already.

Also I would expect a few more retirements. SOS, Higgins, Boyle etc. I can't see them waiting around on the panel and not make the match day panel. What's the point for them now when they have been the cutting edge for mayo over the years. Also they are only taking the place of a new guy that needs to develop. This is harsh considering all they did for Mayo football but that's the life cycle.

Reape from Knockmore has the kickouts and think also the temperament. Former underage county forward as well so playing as the plus one shouldn't be an issue like it was for Clarke and Hennelly. Clarke would get to the 21, get a nose bleed and turn backwards with the ball. Hennelly would take off with his solos and then a high probability that his bandpass or kick pass would put someone in trouble.

Clarke is a top goalie. He had some limitations but in fairness to him, he was right up their with the best of them. His kick outs were his only real weakness and this was corrected in the final where he had a great game in goal.

I would take a replica of Clarke again aged 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

Also I would expect a few more retirements. SOS, Higgins, Boyle etc. I can't see them waiting around on the panel and not make the match day panel. What's the point for them now when they have been the cutting edge for mayo over the years. Also they are only taking the place of a new guy that needs to develop. This is harsh considering all they did for Mayo football but that's the life cycle.

I have nothing to base this on but i would be surprised if Higgins and Boyle go as well.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I have nothing to base this on but i would be surprised if Higgins and Boyle go as well.
    Most likely they are 50/50, I would say Horan would probably have a big say in it but if I was them, I would most likely go as they are not getting game time. I can't see any plus for them unless Horan really wants them to wait.

Anyway, these retirements must be hard on them considering the amount of finals they got to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

Higgins got a few minutes and Boyle made the bench if i remember rightly. It has to be really hard to walk away from a team that is getting as far as the final.

• Advertisement

Clarke is a top goalie. He had some limitations but in fairness to him, he was right up their with the best of them. His kick outs were his only real weakness and this was corrected in the final where he had a great game in goal.

I would take a replica of Clarke again aged 20

We need a keeper who is comfortable on the ball. Neither of the two who have been in place for the past decade were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement