Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

seligehgit wrote: »
    Still no excuse for the type of mean spirited article.

No offence meant but who exactly doesn't give Dublin due respect?:confused:

Most non Dublin GAA people have afforded this generation of Dublin footballers due recognition as the most talented ever.

I agree it was mean spirited. The people who do not give Dublin the due respect are targeted in Hickey's article. Those in those cyclical Dublin threads on boards.ie and other mediums. That is who I believe the article was aimed at to draw them out.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Think the main issue with any Dub seems to when money is brought up. Most of them seem to deliberately misunderstand the point that people make.

It isn't that money is used on the senior team, it is but that is from the sponsorship. Getting so much money for GPOs and the like means the foundations are strong and the funnel is constantly being filled. When I taught in Dublin my class got 1.5hrs of coaching each week for 32 weeks of the school year. My current class in a different Leinster county gets 6 by 30min slots. No comparison. Leinster rugby comes in and does 10 one slots. Brilliantly put together, with obvious progression. We've had three different GAA coaches in 5yrs. One was brilliant, one was okay and one I wouldn't put in case of a 1960s team such was his lack of a bedside manner. The brilliant lad got a better paying coaching job with a neighboring county.

Blackjack wrote: »
    To be honest it's a bit rich for Dubs to demand respect from everyone else when that's the sort of articles they are putting their names to.

That is the point of it. Reading between the lines Hickey is saying if Dublin are not giving respect why should he give it in return.

Rightly or wrongly that is what Hickey did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That is the point of it. Reading between the lines Hickey is saying if Dublin are not giving respect why should he give it in return.

Rightly or wrongly that is what Hickey did.

But Hickey was up until recently a selector on the Dublin Team - if that's the attitude he has, then there's no doubt that is the attitude that a cohort of the squad and backroom team holds. I very much doubt his mean spiritedness is isolated to just him, and that being the case, why should anyone respect them?.
    I mean that's the sort of ****e you expect from the Hill16, Reservoir and Banter page crowds, but from someone who's been heavily involved with the team?.

We know that Brolly has a relationship with a vested interest from the 2015 backroom team, hence why he writes such drivel about them. You'd always expect him to use the pulpit he's been given when there's that sort of domestic arrangement going on, but to get it from a member of the Dublin backroom team tells a lot more about what goes on. I think GAA hour Podcast with Ger Brennan also told a lot about some of the misguided attitudes held by many too.

It seems "Give respect get respect" is a one way street with some.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this post.

I am sure the whole dominance of Dublin GAA subject matter is more than a minor irritation to Dublin people and is construed as a means of denigrating the achievements of their players.

It is hard to block out same.

The top dogs are always there to be criticised for all manner of reasons,especially one at top for so long.The 31 v 1 dynamic only adds to the fun.:)

Kerry invariably equals handy All Irelands

Meath 88 89 a team played right on the edge

Northern teams of the noughties puke football.

Tyrone are regularly lambasted for all manner of reasons.

Donegal defensive football.

All Irelands are hard won as we know too well.

As I've said many a time Mayo supporters would not care two fiddlers re what outsiders think if an All Ireland was won.

Very good point. People don't like a successful team in any sport and they become the pantomime villain. There to be taken down.

I was thinking maybe part of former Dublin players annoyance also stems from the fact, that Dublin were seen as the laughing stock in the GAA between 1995 - 2010 ish. When within that period the very things that are used to beat Dublin with now were used to slag them off for underachieving. Population, facilities, money etc and they STILL can't win Sam. No 'footballers' etc.

The Dubs were seen as the team who brought colour to a game with their supporters, hype and swagger. Most of the time the hype was not justified at all. The swagger was misplaced and the supporters were fairweather. And the rest of the country would be laughing away to themselves - ah the Dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Hickey's gripe is mentions of money, population, splitting dublin, calling the players machines etc etc. Sounds like he is just completely fed up of it and feels it is deliberately used to denigrate the players.
    Little mention of skill hard work, acumen and so on.
    So he thought feck it I will shoot from the hip, and say what I really think.

Sorry I missed this post.

I am sure the whole dominance of Dublin GAA subject matter is more than a minor irritation to Dublin people and is construed as a means of denigrating the achievements of their players.

It is hard to block out same.

The top dogs are always there to be criticised for all manner of reasons,especially one at top for so long.The 31 v 1 dynamic only adds to the fun.:)

Kerry invariably equals handy All Irelands

Meath 88 89 a team played right on the edge

Northern teams of the noughties puke football.

Tyrone are regularly lambasted for all manner of reasons.

Donegal defensive football.

All Irelands are hard won as we know too well.

As I've said many a time Mayo supporters would not care two fiddlers re what outsiders think if an All Ireland was won.

There's no doubt there are people who dislike Dublin but same does not mean that they don't respect their achievements,an all too subtle difference.

Anyway back to Mayo football.:D

Has anyone figured out what Ger Caffery's 'values and behaviours' coach role is?

Is it a pseudoscience version of 'do it for the jersey lads'? Type of thing? I find the title very amusing.

Edit:

I found this on Youtube some American Companies talk on core values and behaviours.

That type of stuff would annoy me. I wonder do players buy into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very good point. People don't like a successful team in any sport and they become the pantomime villain. There to be taken down.

I was thinking maybe part of former Dublin players annoyance also stems from the fact, that Dublin were seen as the laughing stock in the GAA between 1995 - 2010 ish. When within that period the very things that are used to beat Dublin with now were used to slag them off for underachieving. Population, facilities, money etc and they STILL can't win Sam. No 'footballers' etc.

The Dubs were seen as the team who brought colour to a game with their supporters, hype and swagger. Most of the time the hype was not justified at all. The swagger was misplaced and the supporters were fairweather. And the rest of the country would be laughing away to themselves - ah the Dubs!

Try being a Mayo supporter.

We've become accustomed to the label of chokers,bottlers and mocked for our record in All Ireland finals.

We're laughed at constantly but a proud county blocks out such noise.

69 years and counting,that's a real famine.95 -2011 pales in comparison.

All county supporters can be guilty of having a siege mentality,same at times can be a positive.

Winners will always be there to be knocked,it's not alien to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

See it wound you up because Hickey gave his honest belief he was honest. He laid out his reasons clearly in the article. Was he proved wrong? He would have looked like plank if Dublin lost.

You are proof of those very people who Hickey was aiming the article at. The vehement anti-Dub. Plus it worked a treat in that sense. It got you talking didn't it?

Ah bullcrap.
    He just took cheap shots at people.
    I agree it was mean spirited. The people who do not give Dublin the due respect are targeted in Hickey's article. Those in those cyclical Dublin threads on boards.ie and other mediums. That is who I believe the article was aimed at to draw them out.

So hickey got at people who don't fawn over this Dublin team by lambasting and insulting Mayo players.
    Some fooking great man, eh.

It is scummy thing to do.

He said...
    Dublin beat Mayo by 10 points in the semi-final last year when it was supposed to be a close match. I don’t have much time for this Mayo team myself. It will be a hard match for a fair bit of it, though.

“Every game for Dublin is because they burst their bollocks for 70 minutes. You never see those fellas taking it easy. They’re a model for how a team should be.

“But I don’t rate Mayo and I don’t think Mayo will be close at the end of the game. They could be putting this article up in the dressing room in Croke Park on Saturday!”

Basically he is saying that Dublin work for 70 minutes, but Mayo are lazy.

He mentions how they won last year by 10 points, but he doesn't seem to notice that was Mayo's 7th match in 7 weeks with trips to Newry, Limerick and then Dublin whereas Dublin played 5 matches in the same time with one trip away to Omagh.
    Nah don't bother highlighting that sure. :rolleyes:

And this ...
    Mayo win all the All-Stars awards and the player of the year and all this sort of crap but they always do because they’re such a tragic outfit. Andy Moran getting player of the year — he played half a game in every match. The Mayo goalkeeper (David Clarke) getting the All-Star ahead of Cluxton there one year.

That is mealy mouthed and in particular downright disrespectful to a player that came back from very serious injury and still achieved great things.
    And a player that gave 15 years of service to his county.

Andy Moran mightn't have an All Ireland medal like hickey, but he has class.

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah bullcrap.
    He just took cheap shots at people.

So hickey got at people who don't fawn over this Dublin team by lambasting and insulting Mayo players.
    Some fooking great man, eh.

It is scummy thing to do.

Arguably so if you it as just a cheap shot. I think there was a lot of truth in it.
    I don't believe Hickey is asking for fawning. I believe many believe people are out to denigrate Dublin so he went with all guns firing. No couching of language.

Some Mayo players are let down by other players, such as Aidan O"Shea the last day. Fellas who are supposed to step up.

Personally I would class Andy Moran as a fella who stepped up when he had his day. He was consistent for a long time at least. Plus when it got tough he worked harder trying to lift his team.

I would be more annoyed about Aidan O'Shea, than I would be about David Hickey if I was from Mayo. To be honest.

As for the all-stars I never have much time for them. They are very political in nature and don't really represent the best players in each position. Cluxton was left out of the All Stars plenty of years for example 2013-2019

Yet in 2016 in particular David Clarke got what only can be amounting to a tokenist or sympathy all-star.

And Rory Beggan got the All -Star in 2018

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1031/1007851-dublin-dominate-team/

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw the keeper one to Raymond Galligan this year, just to be nice.

Personally I think the All Stars are insulting in a way. As many a time a player gets one and he knows well he is not the best player. It is more of a 'fair play to ya' giving encouragement. Sort of like how a teacher gives a gold star to a pupil when they improve from 5/10 to 7/10. Or came last in a sports day and felt sorry for them.

• Advertisement

Arguably so if you it as just a cheap shot. I think there was a lot of truth in it.
    I don't believe Hickey is asking for fawning. I believe many believe people are out to denigrate Dublin so he went with all guns firing. No couching of language.

Some Mayo players are let down by other players, such as Aidan O"Shea the last day. Fellas who are supposed to step up.

Personally I would class Andy Moran as a fella who stepped up when he had his day. He was consistent for a long time at least. Plus when it got tough he worked harder trying to lift his team.

I would be more annoyed about Aidan O'Shea, than I would be about David Hickey if I was from Mayo. To be honest.

As for the all-stars I never have much time for them. They are very political in nature and don't really represent the best players in each position. Cluxton was left out of the All Stars plenty of years for example 2013-2019

Yet in 2017 David Clarke got what only can be amounting to a tokenist or sympathy all-star

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw the keeper one to Raymond Galligan this year, just to be nice.

Personally I think the All Stars are insulting in a way. As many a time a player gets one and he knows well he is not the best player. It is more of a 'fair play to ya' giving encouragement. Sort of like how a teacher gives a gold star to a pupil when they improve from 5/10 to 7/10. Or came last in a sports day and felt sorry for them.
    I never understand Dubs constant whinging about all their lads not getting all stars - it’s an odd one in fairness, of all the things for them to keep crying about. I suppose because the GAA themselves don’t select it, they can’t be given the favoured treatment they are used to.

Cluxton didn’t get all stars because he was scratching his hole for most games and had few saves to make. Beggan and Clarke were a lot busier and got theirs as a result. Moran got his POTY as did Keegan because they were the best players those years.
    Player of the year is selected by players, not by journalists, so they have a fair idea better than most who deserves it.

I never understand Dubs constant whinging about all their lads not getting all stars - it’s an odd one in fairness, of all the things for them to keep crying about. I suppose because the GAA themselves don’t select it, they can’t be given the favoured treatment they are used to.

Cluxton didn’t get all stars because he was scratching his hole for most games and had few saves to make. Beggan and Clarke were a lot busier and got theirs as a result. Moran got his POTY as did Keegan because they were the best players those years.
    Player of the year is selected by players, not by journalists, so they have a fair idea better than most who deserves it.

Do you not think the all stars are farcical? They are always political. You know well when all-stars are given as sympathy votes. It depends on the climate at the time.

The all-stars are never about the best players. If you believe that you are very naive. They factor in whether a player got one before, sympathy, move players positions to fit others in. Some players play more games and so on. Most of the judging is recency bias based. Only counts the final mostly etc.

I think the all stars should be based on the league at all the different levels - a div 1 team and a div 4 team etc. How you can base it on a lopsided championship with lopsided provinces in baffling to me.

Plus when Andy Moran did get player of the year how many games did he play to get it? I am not saying he was not a good player but do you think the award is really based on the best player? Or who it better to pick to be nice and say well done?

Personally as far as the All-Stars I never rate them. It is a silly sideshow and a nice meal for players and partners. It is never a real award of the 'best' more of a gesture of thanks.

I don't agree a purely political award it is not the best player.

Plus the argument that the best goalkeeper is the busier one. The goalkeeper position has moved on from just making saves. Kickouts, free kicks passing and so on. That is just an example. If you think all stars are a reflection of a counties greatness you are easily codded.

Once a team wins a final that is 6-8 straight away. Losing finalists get 5-7 and they try and spread out the rest as best they can. Same thing most years can't take it seriously.
    Damn all to with best players lots are moved around to facilitate other players.
    It can get really silly.

Do you not think the all stars are farcical? They are always political. You know well when all-stars are given as sympathy votes. It depends on the climate at the time.

The all-stars are never about the best players. If you believe that you are very naive. They factor in whether a player got one before, sympathy, move players positions to fit others in. Some players play more games and so on. Most of the judging is recency bias based. Only counts the final mostly etc.

I think the all stars should be based on the league at all the different levels - a div 1 team and a div 4 team etc. How you can base it on a lopsided championship with lopsided provinces in baffling to me.

Plus when Andy Moran did get player of the year how many games did he play to get it? I am not saying he was not a good player but do you think the award is really based on the best player? Or who it better to pick to be nice and say well done?

Personally as far as the All-Stars I never rate them. It is a silly sideshow and a nice meal for players and partners. It is never a real award of the 'best' more of a gesture of thanks.

Not really that bothered about the awards myself but I think it’s funny how Dubs always find a reason to whinge about it when it’s not 15 Dubs picking up all the awards.

As for Player of the year, that’s voted by players, so I’m going to respect their views as to who they view as the best player in a year, more than some random we like yourself on the internet who’s Butthurt because it wasn’t another handout from the GAA for his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Well if that is the case why is it constantly a sore point for a lot of Dubs including the likes of Hickey who is so annoyed over it that he brings it up in an interview?

No one really cares about them. Sure they provoke some mild consternation each year but by and large they are a fair representation of what has been iewed that year.

The one thing I totally disagree with is the selection of people in positions they didnpY in that year at all. For instance in the Sunday Game team of the year they had Paddy Durcan as a corner back. That nonsense I disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The fact that Dubs are so keen to defend scummy comments like that says a lot.

Not really that bothered about the awards myself but I think it’s funny how Dubs always find a reason to whinge about it when it’s not 15 Dubs picking up all the awards.

As for Player of the year, that’s voted by players, so I’m going to respect their views as to who they view as the best player in a year, more than some random we like yourself on the internet who’s Butthurt because it wasn’t another handout from the GAA for his team.

I don't use American expressions like butthurt. But after looking it up I am not. Because I have already said I don't rate the all-stars. It is not the best player but a political or polarity contest. Simple as that. That is what it will always be.

My main point is that David Hickey has a point about the all-stars. They can be used as sympathy votes. Which is yet another reason not to take them seriously.

As I said a div 1 'all star' team div 2 etc based on league seems much fairer. Plus at least gives other players from other counties a day out and a feed.

Dublin played two div 1 teams this year in the championship, one of them them relegated. Yet they are going to get what? 7-8 all stars? Seems like a very soft system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

Yet in 2016 in particular David Clarke got what only can be amounting to a tokenist or sympathy all-star.

Hickey said Mayo are a tragic outfit. Can you justify that?
    And do you think that is a fitting thing to say from a backroom member of the Dublin team who played the Mayo team he's referring to?
    And do you see any bit of irony in him then going on to whinge that Dublin dont get enough respect?

I don't use American expressions like butthurt. But after looking it up I am not. Because I have already said I don't rate the all-stars. It is not the best player but a political or polarity contest. Simple as that. That is what it will always be.

My main point is that David Hickey has a point about the all-stars. They can be used as sympathy votes. Which is yet another reason not to take them seriously.

As I said a div 1 'all star' team div 2 etc based on league seems much fairer. Plus at least gives other players from other counties a day out and a feed.

Dublin played two div 1 teams this year in the championship, one of them them relegated. Yet they are going to get what? 7-8 all stars? Seems like a very soft system.

It bothers you a lot more than you care to admit, but it suits your current agenda to pretend it doesn’t.

Well if that is the case why is it constantly a sore point for a lot of Dubs including the likes of Hickey who is so annoyed over it that he brings it up in an interview?

No one really cares about them. Sure they provoke some mild consternation each year but by and large they are a fair representation of what has been iewed that year.

The one thing I totally disagree with is the selection of people in positions they didnpY in that year at all. For instance in the Sunday Game team of the year they had Paddy Durcan as a corner back. That nonsense I disagree with.

Possibly because Hickey was using it as an example of a Mayo sympathy vote. How others feel sorry for Mayo and so on. It would tie in 'tragic' Mayo comments etc.

The all stars are already fairly predictable because they base it mostly on the finalists.

But think of it this way if there was backdoor system it would be likely that David Clifford would have got an all-star ahead of xyz Dublin/Mayo player. Because he played a few more games.

I don't know how much the players rate the all-stars anyway? That young Mayo fella Mullin might be chuffed with his as it would be his first, plus a nice night out.

But besides that they don't offer much imo.

• Advertisement

It bothers you a lot more than you care to admit, but it suits your current agenda to pretend it doesn’t.

It doesn't bother me, however when I say it does not it does not suit your agenda. They offer no real value to supporters. Other than those from a county that gets no limelight. xyz got an all star in xyz year. That is about the height of it.

I wouldn't have a clue who was in the All Star team last year. Cluxton is the only one I know, because I looked up the keeper position. To see was there are legitimate point Hickey had about Clarke the all stars.

I remembered the Clarke all star myself, because I thought it was gas he got one the year he let in two OG's?

It was one of the funnier ones, stood out.

It doesn't bother me, however when I say it does not it does not suit your agenda. They offer no real value to supporters. Other than those from a county that gets no limelight. xyz got an all star in xyz year. That is about the height of it.

I wouldn't have a clue who was in the All Star team last year. Cluxton is the only one I know, because I looked up the keeper position. To see was there are legitimate point Hickey had about Clarke the all stars.

I remembered the Clarke all star myself, because I thought it was gas he got one the year he let in two OG's?

It was one of the funnier ones, stood out.

Your agenda here is quite clear. I’ve no interest in engaging further with you, I’m sure you’ll get a giggle out of your own behaviour.

Your agenda here is quite clear. I’ve no interest in engaging further with you, I’m sure you’ll get a giggle out of your own behaviour.

What agenda? I don't play blackjack or poker. I only came on the thread to ask what a "values and behaviours" coach was. Because Ger Cafferkey is one for Mayo. In fact I asked it twice before resorting to an internet search - edited second post.

Do you know what a "values and behaviours" coach is and Mayo had one?

Between that I got sidetracked into explaining the David Hickey's post from a Dublin perspective. Which was the first post I read when I clicked on the thread. Then I got sidetracked from there into explaining my thoughts on the all-stars. I think you will find they are very consistent.

It is all here on this thread. No agenda, all laid bare, and extremely open, forthright and honest.

In fact you should be praising me for my honesty rather than claiming I have an 'agenda'.
    Not everyone is out to get someone else you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭muddle84

What agenda? I don't play blackjack or poker. I only came on the thread to ask what a "values and behaviours" coach was. Because Ger Cafferkey is one for Mayo. In fact I asked it twice before resorting to an internet search - edited second post.

Do you know what a "values and behaviours" coach is and Mayo had one?

Between that I got sidetracked into explaining the David Hickey's post from a Dublin perspective. Which was the first post I read when I clicked on the thread. Then I got sidetracked from there into explaining my thoughts on the all-stars. I think you will find they are very consistent.

It is all here on this thread. No agenda, all laid bare, and extremely open, forthright and honest.

In fact you should be praising me for my honesty rather than claiming I have an 'agenda'.
    Not everyone is out to get someone else you know!

I have to agree the all-stars are political. Once you see players getting them in positions they didn't play in its codswallop in my opinion. I'm not going to argue clarkes one but I remember one of the papers did a stats analysis the year Beggan got it. The numbers all pointed to Beggan being the better keeper that year so that was fair enough.

I completely disagree on player of the year, its voted for by intercounty players so who is a better judge than them?

As to your question, I never heard of a values and behaviours coach before but when I saw it I thought it sounded like one of those bull**** roles you'd see in an American multinational company. Horan works in one of them so maybe thats where it came from..

Google gave me this

https://www.athleteassessments.com/values-and-behavior-in-sport/

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Since the match I have looked over social media comments from supporters . It is a absolutely mind boggling how poor the average Dublin supporter who comments on media articles . The manner in which they drive digs at opposition is of a vulgar low level intelligence .
    I remember being at a league game when Armagh were coming off their peak ( mid 00s) . I brought a UK friend to see a Gaa game . The level of insults of abuse from men in their retirement age was offensive . We never even said a word but thankfully we moved to another part of the stadium .
    I roll on to the semifinal in 2019 and were with my young family in the family section . The family in front of us spear headed by their father just riled abuse at mayo and directed it at us . Again we moved out of disgust . My kids nA we want to return to Croke park after that Dublin family’s abusive remarks . We are no frail family but do know when to keep our mouths shut .
    Kerry annihilated mayo in04 and 06. None of their supporters hurled abuse at mayo . I’m sure they were glad of the easy win but again the breed of winner was different in Kerry . At least publically . What they write on their own Kerry pro boards is upto them selves but generally not directed outward .
    So why is it that the large minority of positing Dublin supporter has to remark with adolescent replies solely at the aim of disrespect and herd calling .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Since the match I have looked over social media comments from supporters . It is a absolutely mind boggling how poor the average Dublin supporter who comments on media articles . The manner in which they drive digs at opposition is of a vulgar low level intelligence .
    I remember being at a league game when Armagh were coming off their peak ( mid 00s) . I brought a UK friend to see a Gaa game . The level of insults of abuse from men in their retirement age was offensive . We never even said a word but thankfully we moved to another part of the stadium .
    I roll on to the semifinal in 2019 and were with my young family in the family section . The family in front of us spear headed by their father just riled abuse at mayo and directed it at us . Again we moved out of disgust . My kids nA we want to return to Croke park after that Dublin family’s abusive remarks . We are no frail family but do know when to keep our mouths shut .
    Kerry annihilated mayo in04 and 06. None of their supporters hurled abuse at mayo . I’m sure they were glad of the easy win but again the breed of winner was different in Kerry . At least publically . What they write on their own Kerry pro boards is upto them selves but generally not directed outward .
    So why is it that the large minority of positing Dublin supporter has to remark with adolescent replies solely at the aim of disrespect and herd calling .

And then they wonder why they don't get respect.

Interesting you seem to put the average Dublin supporter in one particular group. Is this just championship supporter, the league supporter, the regular club goer or all three?
    I roll on to the semifinal in 2019 and were with my young family in the family section . The family in front of us spear headed by their father just riled abuse at mayo and directed it at us . Again we moved out of disgust . My kids nA we want to return to Croke park after that Dublin family’s abusive remarks . We are no frail family but do know when to keep our mouths shut .[

There are abusive idiotic fans everywhere. Not just Dublin fans. Normally the crowd are good about policing these types of fans. On one occasion I did it myself a Dublin fan was f'ing and blinding Eoghan O'Gara out of it. He is sh!te he is this he is that. What annoyed me was he was actually playing well.

So I asked how is that supposed to encourage him. He has x number of all irelands, and that last pass although it did not work you can see the idea and so on. The 'fan' shut up fairly quick.

Interesting it is now a large minority of Dublin supporter! As I have already said there are idiotic supporters on both sides. Plus the beauty of boards.ie it has a report function and the mods deal with it.

I remember this Mayo fan who was 'large and in the minority' invading the pitch at a Mayo v Kerry game.

https://www.the42.ie/video-ugly-scenes-fan-invades-pitch-mayo-kerry-1646727-Aug2014/

His poor young daughter having to run after him in embarrassment. Plus subsequently the fan became a minor celebrity on social media. With other Mayo fans taking their picture with him. I believe the hashtags were #madted #gaa.

Of course it not the first time a fan has caused embarrassment to ordinary decent Mayo fans. Tim O'Leary is another one 'hurling abuse' from social media.

https://www.the42.ie/mayo-tim-oleary-5020467-Feb2020/

But I would not judge all Mayo fans on the back of those two. The majority are fun loving GAA fans who enjoy following their county.

Hopefully, Mayo get to the final next year and if Dublin do not win it, I hope it is Mayo.

Maigh Eo Abu!

And Happy Christmas.

Lighten up lads, its Christmas.
    Ye didn't win another all Ireland? Sure isn't it like that every year?

Also Santa dresses in Red and the elves in Green. Santa knows who the people's champions are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I'd completely agree with that too, from my many trips to Croke Park I've always found Kerry fans to conduct themselves with genuine class. Dublin fans on the other hand have been a completely different experience. A lot of this can be attributed to socio-economic issues in our capital - a section of the Dublin support would be from deprived areas where education standards are poor and this is reflected in their general demeanour and conduct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Lighten up lads, its Christmas.
    Ye didn't win another all Ireland? Sure isn't it like that every year?

Pathetic behaviour lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement