Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tooreen 0-5 Father O Neills 0-10 at half time.

Tooreen struggling for scores.

9 wides thus far but Father O Neills are down to 14 men.

Second red card for the Cork lads but Tooreen are shooting themselves in the foot with their wide count.

Tooreen 0-7 Father O Neills 0-12

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tooreen struggling for scores.

9 wides thus far but Father O Neills are down to 14 men.

Down to 13 now......have 2 go for it now...plenty time.

Down to a 4 point gap.

• Advertisement

Goal Tooreen.

Two points in it!

Valiant effort by Tooreen.Beaten by the better team on the day.

Tooreen 1-12 Father O Neills 0-19

Kenny Feeney shown the line at the death of normal time.Sean Regan had a goal disallowed.

Declan Dalton MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair play to Mickey Moran ex Mayo county manager on getting Kilcoo to an All Ireland Senior clubs final.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Fair play to Mickey Moran ex Mayo county manager on getting Kilcoo to an All Ireland Senior clubs final.

He's a fair man for working his magic.He'll be canonised if they beat Corofin.Can't see happening though.

He's a fair man for working his magic.He'll be canonised if they beat Corofin.Can't see happening though.

A thorough gentleman as well.

After that Corofin performance today I can1t see it either.
    Kilcoo did a great job on the St Enda danger men today, but Corofin have too many of them.
    The last two years, once out of the province they just upped the performance game on game.
    Today looked no different.
    Fair play to Tooreen, they gave it a real go against a team from a county that is one of the major powers in hurling.
    They will be disappointed tonight, but can be very proud of their year. Provincial champions is no mean achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The bould Kilbane on Dancing on Ice

killer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

It's only the fbd and all that, but it's been a long f&$#in winter and I can't wait for the weekend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

muddle84 wrote: »
    It's only the fbd and all that, but it's been a long f&$#in winter and I can't wait for the weekend!!!!

The rollercoaster starts again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo team for Sunday.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. James Stretton - Claremorris
    3. James McCormack - Claremorris
    4. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    5. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Tom Parsons - Charlestown
    9. Mikey Murray - Ballina Stephenites
    10. Brian Walsh - Ballintubber
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Jordan Flynn - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The Connaught reporting Barrett is gone from the management team. Strange one. Also heard Mullins is heading for Oz, not sure if he has been offered a contract or whether it’s just for trials. Would be an absolute nightmare of he does get one. That team is less than inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hennelly
    Jesus Christ we learn nothing

And yes it means something
    I was told this time last year it meant nothing when he started FBD over clarke
    It did
    Horan refuses to learn
    Stubborn man

km79 wrote: »
    Hennelly
    Jesus Christ we learn nothing

And yes it means something
    I was told this time last year it meant nothing when he started FBD over clarke
    It did
    Horan refuses to learn
    Stubborn man

I would not read too much into that tbh.
    Management with ambitions of serious honours nowadays look at these early season competitions as somewhere between third rate and a nuisance.
    They are using them to get a look at some younger lads and to give game time in the main to some older lads that they may not even consider as first draft to keep them interested

Mayo team for Sunday.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. James Stretton - Claremorris
    3. James McCormack - Claremorris
    4. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    5. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
    6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Tom Parsons - Charlestown
    9. Mikey Murray - Ballina Stephenites
    10. Brian Walsh - Ballintubber
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Jordan Flynn - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber

I thought the two Claremorris lads were better known as half backs?

Delighted to see Padraig O Hora get a run out,ditto Walsh and Flynn.I know named positions mean zilch but Diarmuid will hardly start inside?

Hopefully we'll see Gary Boylan and Ryan O Donoghue too.

It would have seemed an ideal time to give another goalkeeper some game time.Rory Byrne?

Very disappointing news if Oisin Mullins is Oz bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Delighted to see Tom back!!

Kalyke wrote: »
    Delighted to see Tom back!!

He did come on at the death of the semi final last year but absolutely it's great to see him back enthused as ever by wearing the green and red.

In his role as the voluntary secretary of the GPA he wrote a very fine article.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/we-are-100-amateur-but-players-cannot-be-expected-to-pay-to-play-38806131.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Management with ambitions of serious honours nowadays look at these early season competitions as somewhere between third rate and a nuisance.
    They are using them to get a look at some younger lads and to give game time in the main to some older lads that they may not even consider as first draft to keep them interested

Yeah reading too much into teams this time of year is daft, but sure that's what the internet is for I guess

I mean we've no clue about the circumstances of the selection. They'll often pick some regular players who may be coming back from injury for example or who they may want to look at in a new role.

They might want to look at some new combinations.

Judgment on team selections is a bit of a waste of energy in early January, the league will be a much better gauge. A league I can unfortunately see mayo struggling in given the run of fixtures

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah reading too much into teams this time of year is daft, but sure that's what the internet is for I guess

I mean we've no clue about the circumstances of the selection. They'll often pick some regular players who may be coming back from injury for example or who they may want to look at in a new role.

They might want to look at some new combinations.

Judgment on team selections is a bit of a waste of energy in early January, the league will be a much better gauge. A league I can unfortunately see mayo struggling in given the run of fixtures

In recent years we sailed very close to the wind in division 1.

I have genuine concerns re our ability to stay up this year.

Have to agree Seligehgit. I assume Meath will drop but Mayo will be well in the mix for the other spot I fear. Donegal will hardly go down again, Galway no chance I'd say with new manager, Dublin and Kerry obviously not, you'd imagine monaghan will be well up for it which would leave Tyrone as the other contender imo.

Essentially mayo have zero margin for error and might need to pull off a big scalp or two.

The run of fixtures is very unforgiving though

I think I should clarify same.

We are a team in transition,James Horan's is likely to rightly appease the natives wishes for real experimentation in terms of trying out new players,our league schedule is arduous with only three home fixtures.

We can't be certain that a newly promoted Meath will go straight down as they are I believe a team on the up.

Without stating the obvious and then stating it: It's vital we make a fast start in those first 3 games.

Yet the Meath away game is a must win game,it is laughable that we aim to target a perhaps speculated vulnerable Dessie Farrell managed Dublin team,I just don't buy it.But what better and more necessary time to end our wretched run against them.

I think I should clarify same.

We are a team in transition,James Horan's is likely to rightly appease the natives wishes for real experimentation in terms of trying out new players,our league schedule is arduous with only three home fixtures.

We can't be certain that a newly promoted Meath will go straight down as they are I believe a team on the up.

Without stating the obvious and then stating it: It's vital we make a fast start in those first 3 games.

Yet the Meath away game is a must win game,it is laughable that we aim to target a perhaps speculated vulnerable Dessie Farrell managed Dublin team,I just don't buy it.But what better and more necessary time to end our wretched run against them.

To be fair I may be doing Meath a disservice alright. I'm sure they'll be very much prioritising the league in their first year back up. They played some decent stuff in the championship last year and almost bet Tyrone the year before

jr86 wrote: »
    Have to agree Seligehgit. I assume Meath will drop but Mayo will be well in the mix for the other spot I fear. Donegal will hardly go down again, Galway no chance I'd say with new manager, Dublin and Kerry obviously not, you'd imagine monaghan will be well up for it which would leave Tyrone as the other contender imo.

Essentially mayo have zero margin for error and might need to pull off a big scalp or two.

The run of fixtures is very unforgiving though

I'm going to contradict my earlier post and predict Meath will likely be relegated:D but I truly believe Meath are a coming team.

I think Monaghan will be the other team in the mix with ourselves.I'd be less inclined to throw Tyrone in the mix although is Cathal Mc Shane available??His absence would be a savage blow.

Declan O Reilly appointed coaching officer for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

This was exactly what was said last year!
    And I asked the same question i will ask now.
    Why is he not looking at a younger keeper and giving them some game time?

A good point.
    In fairness to management in these early season games the often just throw in their 2nd and 3rd choice keeper to have a look at them and let them know they have to perform well to have a shot at being even in with a chance of 1st chance.
    I would see it a bit worrying that he did not give a young lad a shot but regardless of this being a 3rd level competition, Galway/Mayo games have often a life of their own. He may have thought it better to look at a young keeper coming on during a game, or in another fixture, rather to start him and him a bundle of nerves.
    Just my 2 cents guess tbh.

• Advertisement

Who knows but maybe Hennelly has been injured/late back to training/overdid the Christmas, maybe Horan wants to assess his leadership qualities behind an inexperienced defence/ wants said defence to link up with him in terms of kickout strategy or whatever/ maybe he wants to get the most out of Parsons on kickouts - all in all who knows.

There are just so many variables with FBD team selections. All I know is Horan is seeing a lot more of the panel than anyone on here is, and knows exactly what shape they're in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement