Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Tim O Leary has joined twitter and is sharing some interesting receipts.

Including someones grocery shopping list, curtains costing over 2k and a Dietician bill from 2017, before he ever gave them a cent.

The CB must be scrambling.

Can’t see him do u have a link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

His handle is @newportmayo1951

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

embarrassing for us but about time someone showed these clowns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Whoever the grocery shopping bill was for, has their nutrition on point at least!

He was also saying that the dates on the receipts are before he even met The County Board. It doesn't look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Ever since I came across that account I've been wondering if it was a troll account but the mayo foundation Instagram account had them as well last night.

Someone needs to get them into a room. Time for Croke Park to bang some heads together.

Have to say fair play to the team, not a peep from them about it.

Wonder if the rumour is true that all this started from Rochie telling O'Leary that the 150k hadn't been spent on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I havent really followed this goings on in Mayo these past month or two.

But this has to seep through to players even are staying very quiet about it all. It must effect morale at some level or cause doubt as to how the year ahead will workout.

I will try and read up on it over the coming week in the mean time any new lads coming to fore? But I hope it gets sorted quick as you will have hacks from outside asking questions of players as we approach the league.

In previous posts a good while back I felt Mayo had some very good, exceptional players who were taking too long to get game time, Throw them in for a league campaign and leave them in would be my way so A serious question here. If you were Mayo manager how many new players would you be wanting to bring straight into the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

I see Galway's fundraising income dropped this year from €860,000 to €144,000 as a result of controversies in Galway GAA over the past year. We can not allow a fall of in fundraising income in Mayo this coming year. Mick Culhane who will contest the Chairmanship of Galway County Board next Monday said we have to make sure (The Galway County Board) is run professionally, run with good structures, run with good governance, and we need for people to buy into it, for people to see that it is being done right. There will be huge goodwill as a result of that. Kerry Chairman Tim Murphy said "Three years ago, we made dramatic changes to our finance committee when we broke from tradition by appointing two people from outside the executive, Michael John Kearney and Aileen Stack, as chairperson and secretary of the finance committee. This has proven to be a great success, and a model which I believe can be applied to all aspects of both leadership and management in the GAA at all levels.

“People with relevant expertise, who are at arm’s length from the day-to-day operation of the board, can examine everything objectively, challenge everyone in a constructive manner, and, ultimately, facilitate debate on all issues, leading to a more successful outcome for all". Kerry recorded a surplus of €140k. I believe it is vital that Liam Moffatt and Michael Gallagher are elected at the Convention on Sunday so that people will have goodwill towards the County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Chairman Election Special Mayo News Football Podcast

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-12-12T03_18_56-08_00.mp3

An Andrew Neil style grilling of the 2 candidates by Rob Murphy in a softly softly manner.:)

I know of Seamus Tuohy at a distance from a workplace point of view and through good friends.I believe he is an honourable man with a great sense of integrity and decency who works around the clock for Mayo GAA for the love of it,in addition to holding down a senior management role within the HSE.This is not by any means a reference for his appointment to this role.The question remains as to whither his candidacy is materially damaged by the perception he is an integral part of the current regime.Some would argue Liam Moffatt's relative newness to the county board and Seamus Tuohy's seniority within the executive will favour Moffatt's candidacy for those club delegates seeking change.

Great to hear that Andy Moran has been appointed to the under 20s team.

The mention of the proposed north Mayo centre of excellence certainly appears to be nothing more than electioneering.Bringing Lough Lannagh to completion should be the priority irrespective of any perceived necessity for the former.Where are the monies for an additional centre of excellence?

Seamus failed to give a direct answer as to whither his appointment specifically would be enough to bring the much needed reform but rather spoke re the need for more professional/paid positions at executive level.Undoubtedly the greatly delayed appointment of a commercial manager is a first step.Tomas Quinn IMO is the template for which Tom Reilly should aspire.

Some central themes shone through in both interviews.

The glaring deficiencies in the governance within Mayo GAA and more specifically the Board/Executive with the requirement to bring improvements in same.

The inability of an overextended voluntary board/executive to cope with a workload for an organisation that should be run like a business with paid persons with the appointment of a CEO a prerequisite.John Costello's role as CEO with Dublin offers a very helpful roadmap,he is a very effective advocate for Dublin GAA.The proposed role of a paid CEO was mentioned in relation to Liam Horan's much heralded strategic plan which remains gathering dust on a book shelf.

The absence of a county board/executive member from the Special Congress was very disappointing and may have resulted from a perfect storm.Although it is hard not to ask the question as to whither other parties could not have been invited to attend same.

The openness of the county board to mediation in relation to their dispute with the International Foundation is a no brainer.Mistakes were made but some undoubtedly were self inflicted.

The difficulties experienced by the county board in responding effectively to moving stories on social media has come into focus in relation to the current controversy.

The sole divergence of opinion related to whither there was any degree of disconnection between the grassroots and the board/executive.It's hard to not give some credence to some level of same based on the recent controversy.

I'd be interested to know if Liam Moffatt has any professional qualifications in people management.He spoke eloquently re same with an emphasis on personnel training/upskilling most especially at executive level.

He will be a very busy man putting in place all his proposed policies and procedures( the dreaded PPPGs which are a great fun to construct ) in the areas of governance,fundraising,recruitment and departure of managers etc.

Lessons have been learned and Cairde Maigheo must be sole vehicle for all funding for Mayo GAA.Tim O Leary has done Mayo GAA a great service in bringing the issues of governance,accountability and transparency to the forefront.However it was a very unfortunate mistake that the Mayo treasurer was not appointed a trustee to the foundation.As long as Mayo GAA have agreed with the foundation on the specific terms and conditions and can demonstrate effectively where the monies have been spent as requested Tim O Leary should agree to use Cairde Maigheo as the vehicle for Mayo GAA fundraising.

Good point re the real living danger of rural depopulation.The numbers re Kiltane and Ballintubber give grounds for concern.Not clear to me how policies and procedures can be framed to deal with such a causative factor of reduced player participation.There is a greater economic and social issue that requires addressing.

Anybody have link to the article relating to the 280,000 followers of Mayo GAA on the Irish Examiner,second only to Dublin's 340,000.An undoubtedly large untapped resource.

Liam Moffatt interview was quite visionary in nature.

Hopefully the monies are in place to fulfill their aspirations.

Going forward I can join both parties in hoping for no more 4th quarter Mayo GAA controversies.

Rob did not really delve into the nitty gritty re the at times shambolic appointment processes in the appointment and departure of previous managers.Liam Moffatt recognised that mistakes had been made and many parties greatly hurt as a result.I think of the treatment of Kevin Mc Stay and subsequent appointment/departure of Noel Connelly/Pat Holmes,Stephen Rochford's departure.

The chairman most especially in Rochford's departure uttered some unhelpful comments.The virtual code of omerta that exists in Dublin GAA in relation to all matters from the most menial to those that could be potentially controversial.

Dessie Farrell's appointment is a case in point,lots of media talk.The appointment made inside of a fortnight are handled in a virtual information vacuum with devil any leak from within Dublin GAA.

It is a tad easier for same to happen in Dublin as opposed to Mayo where everybody knows each other and gaelic football is the only game in town.Only one sole mention of hurling in the entire podcast.

Best of luck to all nominees and may they put their best foot forward for Mayo GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tim o leary is taking legal action against mayo County board over misuse of his 150k donation. Announced on bis twitter.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Tim o leary is taking legal action against mayo County board over misuse of his 150k donation. Announced on bis twitter.

Three threats of legal action have made in the past week, two from him and one from the County Board. What a fcuking mess.

Anybody heading the convention tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Kerry County Board went to America a number of years ago and raised a million euro for their centre of excellence (The Centre made a profit of 40k this year). There was no controversy involved. Why Our County Board could not have done the same when Our Team was in New York this year? During Stephen Rochfords time as Mayo Manager, Liam Horan was media co-ordinator (Liam is an experienced journalist) he did a great job. Michael Gallagher is also an experienced journalist, I believe he would also do a great job as PRO. I am a Mayo Supporter for over fifty years and I am fearful if Liam Moffatt and Michael Gallagher are not elected tomorrow sponsorship will dry up (it has happened in Galway as a result of their controversy's)

See O'Leary has published the existing sponsorship deal with Elverys. To my uninformed eyes the amounts seem very small.

<snip>

Alot of people talking about him as some sort of saviour of Mayo GAA. To me he is the kid who doesn't like a tackle during a game at school and then picks up his ball and walks away. Total baby.

Totally unprofessional in his attitude and behaviour. Now that doesn't preclude the county board from criticism but O'Leary/Foundation didn't turn up for their meeting with HQ over this mess.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Micheál Schlingermann has signed for Galway United.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

See O'Leary has published the existing sponsorship deal with Elverys. To my uninformed eyes the amounts seem very small.

It is they sponson Connaught to 350k
    Where’s Mayo GAA gets f1ck all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seligehgit wrote: »
    Chairman Election Special Mayo News Football Podcast

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-12-12T03_18_56-08_00.mp3

Hope for your own sakes Tuohy doesn't get it. Didn't come across well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hope for your own sakes Tuohy doesn't get it. Didn't come across well at all.
    Voteing on new chairman is taken place at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Liam Moffatt has got the chairman gig. The right decision IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

eastmayo wrote: »
    Voteing on new chairman is taken place at the moment.

People Before Moffatt?

(I'll get me coat.)

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Club delegates appear ready for a sea of change.

When will we have white smoke re the PRO position?

Michael Gallagher has got to be strong favourite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

seligehgit wrote: »
    Club delegates appear ready for a sea of change.

When will we have white smoke re the PRO position?

Michael Gallagher has got to be strong favourite now.

I'm not sure. Moffat only won 91-78 even though he was a much stronger candidate in my eyes. That means if 7 delegates voted for touhy instead, he would have won. Michael Gallagher is still up against it to win the PRO vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow! great result that i really didnt see coming.

This is a really significant move for Mayo Gaa.

Paul Cunnane has been re elected.

RedDevil55 wrote: »

From Shane Phelan's article in the Indo yesterday

Contacted by the Irish Independent,Mr O Leary said he had lost trust in the board and it was "impossible for the foundation and I to work with them going forward".But he said he would consider entering mediation or negotiations if a new board was in place.

It previously reported

"To try to defuse the Mayo problem,it was reported that the chairman of the foundation,Tim O Leary, offered to fly from London to Dublin on Monday, December 2nd for an 11.00 AM meeting with the GAA’s director general Tom Ryan.Another of the trustees,Terry Gallagher,an Achill native who runs a high-end limousine business in London offered to travel too.
    O’Leary's only stipulation was that the meeting had to be at his offices in Leeson Street as he is an international currency trader,and with the UK election,Chinese-US trade war and other significant events ongoing,he needed to be in the office to monitor currency fluctuations and be in contact with his traders on the ground.These successful businessmen were prepared to fly to Dublin.The meeting never happened,as the GAA delegation was not prepared to travel the two miles across town to meet them."

Was a further meeting arranged?

There's been an awful lot of unhelpful toing and froing across the airwaves.

Hopefully with a new chairperson in place,a qualified accountant Valerie Murphy in situ as treasurer Tim O Leary will see fit to work with the new board and enter mediation talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Moffat would be fairly friendly with James Horan and Ciaran McDonald. Horan in particular had a tense relationship with the previous county board so might make a nice change to have a chairman who actually wants to work with the senior set up.

Gallagher didn't get it. No surprised really as to be honest he is not considered in the best light by a lot of North Mayo GAA people despite what he would like you to think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement