Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith, Woodley vs Usman - Sat March 2nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Dana will be pissed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I initially thought that was a bad stoppage, after seeing more angles, Herb has no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Robbie lost fair and square imo, you can't behave like that and expect a ref to not stop it. Cruz is talking nonsense, of course he was being choked. Askren is the man, what a chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Askren looks suspect to me. Lethal grappler no doubt but that is all. Khabib can stand and trade with anyone, askren wont be able in my opinion.

I had money on the Lawlor v Askren fight so I can't impartially give an opinion on it..... but I thought it was a bad stoppage.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Robbie lost fair and square imo, you can't behave like that and expect a ref to not stop it. Cruz is talking nonsense, of course he was being choked. Askren is the man, what a chin.

I agree. Cruz with the "it was on his chin".

How the **** do you know where it was or wasn't?

Herb literally moved Robbie's arm and felt no resistance after asking him to do something. He had no choice but to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Lads, the way Robbie's arm drops is not insignificant.

A Bulldog choke is a legit choke and Robbie wasn't getting out of it.

Its a fair point, and Im not pissed that Robbie lost and Askren won, but I just think it was such a ****ty way to finish, for Askren also. I wanted a clear submission and it was a premature call.

In partial mitigation, I think Robbie probably knew he wasn't getting out of it too, which is why he seemed so cool with Herbs decision.

But still. I was so looking forward to that and the end just felt so deflating, especially after that incredible beginning. Fair play to Askren for surviving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Very disappointing to see that end like that, especially with a savage like lawlor. Reckon it was only a second or 2 away from being stopped earlier in the round in lawlor decision. What a comeback by askren tho. Gotta be a refereee mistake tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Herb literally moved Robbie's arm and felt no resistance after asking him to do something. He had no choice but to call it.

Actually when he lifts the arm up its kept in the air it would flail straight down if the wits werent intact...bad call, even if it did look like odds of a way out may have been slim.

This is the maaaaaiiiiiiiin event of the evening.

**** the pretend picogram fight after, this is what we are all watching for.

• Advertisement

I agree. Cruz with the "it was on his chin".

How the **** do you know where it was or wasn't?

And thats ignoring the fact that you can easily be choked with the chin in, the position of Bens bicep looked directly on the carotid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

scudzilla wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, could there be a way to restart the fight from the same position in situations like that?

Yes. They can do it after the Jones-Smith headliner. Hopefully the fans will stay and my tv will stay on.

And thats ignoring the fact that you can easily be choked with the chin in, the position of Bens bicep looked directly on the carotid.

Yup, under the chin really means nothing, Dom talking about "blood choke" just shows how little he actually understands the mechanics of strangulation.
    Under the chin is immaterial, either side of the neck is faaar more important.

Yes. They can do it after the Jones-Smith headliner. Hopefully the fans will stay and my tv will stay on.

No they can't.

Don't be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johny Cage

30% Usman is going to get wrecked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Marty from Nebraska

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, could there be a way to restart the fight from the same position in situations like that?

Lol, i didn't mean that late, i meant within seconds of realising a mistake had been made, fighters get put back in position a lot, whats to stop it happening in situations like this?

Still not convinced by Woodley, I know I'm ridiculous. If he starches Usman I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Joe and the fookin boss in the video game again.

Nice to see Marc Godard reffing a co-main in Vegas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think they will cancel each other out with the wrestling so can see this fight staying on it's feet for the majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Usman looks to have the strength advantage anyway, fight is playing out as I predicted so far.

Just takes one shot from Woodley though, extremely dangerous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Round 1 Usman.

Usman has exceeded my expectations so far.

Usman is huge, Jesus.

Usman is huge, Jesus.

Yeah he makes Tyron look small.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Usman has been dominant so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pure domination by Usman so far.

Never seen anyone do this to Woodley.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Definitely a 10-8 for Usman, huge uphill battle for Woodley now.

• Advertisement

Woodley needs to show some urgency in round 3. He’s thrown about 5 punches. Fair play to Usman though, not giving Woodley a second to breathe.

Advertisement